New Times! - Excl Interview and more!

tryto

Did Jagex Do The Right Thing?

I at the time did and still do agree with the policy Jagex took up. Actually I know very few who would disagree, although sometimes I feel their solution could have been a bit more elegant. While i never pked and dislike pking anyway, I do know enough that the old way is long gone, the new artificial way is nothing like the same thing although i know lots of people who love it and lots who hate it.

One correction though: the bots were NEVER the cause of the shark prices crashing. It was purely a forum scam to manipulate price. it started with about 100 players spamming the forums with "sell sharks 950ea". anyone who actually read these prices would see 4 pages of complaints to the lines of "you are never on", "please sell me" etc. the next day it was 900, then 850. Anyone who looked at the forums would clearly see sharks were at 850, a drop from 1100, yet not a SINGLE shark sold.

It took a single week for them to drop the prices from 1100 to 500, then another week for 500-350 before they were banned. Reason I remember this so clearly is I happened to have 79k monkfish to sell that week after a long time fishing. lobs were down to 100 ea, monks at 200 ea. I managed to sell 79k monks (cooked too) at the old price of 350 ea by determination and cheesy sales lines in w18 edge, even with people selling sharks at 400 next to me. it took 3-4 weeks for it to recover, and after it settled back to 900. It took bots years to bring prices from 2k ea down to 1k ea, the 300 wasn't them. Yews was purely bots though, as were flax, ess and probably a few ores.

We Now Return to Your Regularly Scheduled Grinding

tis true. I wouldnt say the grinding is something I enjoy, but I seem to do it anyway. life is strange like that

Creater of QuestRanker

"I hate it when my target's die laughing, makes me think my fly is open or something"

-Me

Could you at tipit please just admit that Jagex "asked" there "partners" to come out and try and kill the outrage over the downgrade that is Personal shops? Honestly that was way too thinly veiled might as well of come out and just talk about it.

I won't speak for MS, but I know I've been told that we on the editorial panel aren't even considered part of Tip.It staff. Furthermore, nobody tells us what to write, nor what side of an argument we should be on.

I will say that Gif in Did Jagex Do The Right Thing? Makes me depressed I hated bots and still do . I think Jagex did the right thing but it helped that they explained much of it before the changes and was open and honest with us.

You are very, very, very mistaken. One of the biggest problems with the RWT updates was the fact that Jagex never let on to what their true intentions were until after they implemented the final changes. They weren't open and honest with us as to why they made unlimited stock, or retooled the ghost town we used to call the duel arena, or implement the GE. The December 10 updates were a huge shock to all of us.

I don't feel many who opposed it have changed their mind on this subject since '07. I think most of those who opposed the updates have either quit and moved on, or learned to accept that they'll never get back the old RuneScape.

rssig2.png

Could you at tipit please just admit that Jagex "asked" there "partners" to come out and try and kill the outrage over the downgrade that is Personal shops? Honestly that was way too thinly veiled might as well of come out and just talk about it.

I won't speak for MS, but I know I've been told that we on the editorial panel aren't even considered part of Tip.It staff. Furthermore, nobody tells us what to write, nor what side of an argument we should be on.

I will say that Gif in Did Jagex Do The Right Thing? Makes me depressed I hated bots and still do . I think Jagex did the right thing but it helped that they explained much of it before the changes and was open and honest with us.

You are very, very, very mistaken. One of the biggest problems with the RWT updates was the fact that Jagex never let on to what their true intentions were until after they implemented the final changes. They weren't open and honest with us as to why they made unlimited stock, or retooled the ghost town we used to call the duel arena, or implement the GE. The December 10 updates were a huge shock to all of us.

I don't feel many who opposed it have changed their mind on this subject since '07. I think most of those who opposed the updates have either quit and moved on, or learned to accept that they'll never get back the old RuneScape.

rssig2.png

The Excl interview was boring, and in reply to what I think about Dec 10 2007, I will never,ever, forgive Jagex for ruining old-skool rs!Thats why I dont play as much anymore. Runescape was the best game, even with autoers and rwt, those things added to the fun. Runescape is doomed to a future of meaningless and useless upgrades that nobody wants, such as the graphics update of the weapons. No one can honestly say they like the new weapon animations (most of the weapons anyways.) And if you do you're just a suckup. Thas my view. Runescape is going down the drain but Jagex covers it up with lots of content additions.

That's one of the most obnoxious posts I have ever seen. I personally don't mind the updates to the weapons; either version has the same appeal to me. However, people are allowed to like updates that JaGex has made without being a suckup. You are entitled to your opinion, but you are NOT entitled to the opinions of others. I have also liked some of the updates this year, especially the quests; and I never liked cutting yew trees as an F2P'er with all the autoers. Nor did I like seeing rich people who I knew bought gp. It never added to any of my fun. Also, judging from what I've heard about the credit card companies and autoers stealing credit card info and such to become member autoers....I'm pretty sure that the legal situation meant that JaGex HAD to do something to get rid of it. You are allowed to hate the update, but if you look around you should realize that RS has a strong member base and is still striving, not doomed to the failure you claim they are running into.

Bottom line: your allowed your own [bleep]ing view, but not allowed to voice the opinion of others, especially in such a jack-[wagon] obnoxious way as that.

Ok, now to reply to everything else:

LOL @ THE GUY ABOVE ME! As my quote proves, there are many, or at least some, people who have not quit (surprisingly...) and have not moved on. But yeah, I think the update would have gone better if JaGex didn't tell us about the ge and duel arena updates without teling us about the removal of free trade. Also, JaGex confirmed somewhere semi-recently that it was credit card fraud on autoer accounts that forced them to make this drastic change; I think it might have gone better if JaGex told us this sooner as well.

Now for the articles...

I liked the interview with Excl, it was prtty cool.

Did Jagex do the right thing: A little too pro-JaGex for me, however I think due to the credit card fraud issue, they did the only thing they could. However, JaGex should have been more open about it from the start. I think it would have gone over better if they didn't try to appease us with summoning and make the Duel Arena and GE update look good, despite that they happened because of the Free-trade removal.

We Now Return to Your Regularly Scheduled Grinding: Good article, something a lot of people need to read. Recently I've been grinding at the mage arena...I did complete the new quest ASAP, but I wouldn't say I rushed through it, and I'm actually wearing my questcape XD

Yeah, no 99 skills.

And the fictional article was pretty cool, I actually read it for once.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

The Excl interview was boring, and in reply to what I think about Dec 10 2007, I will never,ever, forgive Jagex for ruining old-skool rs!Thats why I dont play as much anymore. Runescape was the best game, even with autoers and rwt, those things added to the fun. Runescape is doomed to a future of meaningless and useless upgrades that nobody wants, such as the graphics update of the weapons. No one can honestly say they like the new weapon animations (most of the weapons anyways.) And if you do you're just a suckup. Thas my view. Runescape is going down the drain but Jagex covers it up with lots of content additions.

That's one of the most obnoxious posts I have ever seen. I personally don't mind the updates to the weapons; either version has the same appeal to me. However, people are allowed to like updates that JaGex has made without being a suckup. You are entitled to your opinion, but you are NOT entitled to the opinions of others. I have also liked some of the updates this year, especially the quests; and I never liked cutting yew trees as an F2P'er with all the autoers. Nor did I like seeing rich people who I knew bought gp. It never added to any of my fun. Also, judging from what I've heard about the credit card companies and autoers stealing credit card info and such to become member autoers....I'm pretty sure that the legal situation meant that JaGex HAD to do something to get rid of it. You are allowed to hate the update, but if you look around you should realize that RS has a strong member base and is still striving, not doomed to the failure you claim they are running into.

Bottom line: your allowed your own [bleep]ing view, but not allowed to voice the opinion of others, especially in such a jack-[wagon] obnoxious way as that.

Ok, now to reply to everything else:

LOL @ THE GUY ABOVE ME! As my quote proves, there are many, or at least some, people who have not quit (surprisingly...) and have not moved on. But yeah, I think the update would have gone better if JaGex didn't tell us about the ge and duel arena updates without teling us about the removal of free trade. Also, JaGex confirmed somewhere semi-recently that it was credit card fraud on autoer accounts that forced them to make this drastic change; I think it might have gone better if JaGex told us this sooner as well.

Now for the articles...

I liked the interview with Excl, it was prtty cool.

Did Jagex do the right thing: A little too pro-JaGex for me, however I think due to the credit card fraud issue, they did the only thing they could. However, JaGex should have been more open about it from the start. I think it would have gone over better if they didn't try to appease us with summoning and make the Duel Arena and GE update look good, despite that they happened because of the Free-trade removal.

We Now Return to Your Regularly Scheduled Grinding: Good article, something a lot of people need to read. Recently I've been grinding at the mage arena...I did complete the new quest ASAP, but I wouldn't say I rushed through it, and I'm actually wearing my questcape XD

Yeah, no 99 skills.

And the fictional article was pretty cool, I actually read it for once.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

i agree with excl, we need to split image and video threads.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

i agree with excl, we need to split image and video threads.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

...That, while many people still believe so, using the Egg Launching Cannon in Barbarian Assault does NOT cost any points? The most costly is to let Penance Runners reach the exit and escape. Being the Defender is therefor the hardest job, and often teams have double Defenders in all but the last round. - Thanks Tal Shiar!

Not 100% true. Defender is a piece of cake, just most people can't do it right.

Start from the pool and run to the east trap dropping as you go. Dropping the wrong food makes no difference in points, defenders only lose points from runners past. Basically you've just made yourself a wall of food. Drop the rest of the food on the trap and go grab the logs and hammer.

Now go get more bait and repeat above, but use a different diagonal to the east trap. Don't worry about the west one, it's never used.

This works because when a runner hits the wrong type of food, he just runs North a few steps.

Keep building barricades of food, and repairing the trap when need be.

The defender does need to call, but doesn't need a call to be given to them. Therefore if you are on a good team who know the roles well the healer can also do there job much better as they needn't call.

You can 100% the waves with no runner losses with a single level 1 defender. You just need the right defender

cat_sabbath.png

Trust the Gene Genie!

...That, while many people still believe so, using the Egg Launching Cannon in Barbarian Assault does NOT cost any points? The most costly is to let Penance Runners reach the exit and escape. Being the Defender is therefor the hardest job, and often teams have double Defenders in all but the last round. - Thanks Tal Shiar!

Start from the pool and run to the east trap dropping as you go. Dropping the wrong food makes no difference in points, defenders only lose points from runners past. Basically you've just made yourself a wall of food. Drop the rest of the food on the trap and go grab the logs and hammer.

Now go get more bait and repeat above, but use a different diagonal to the east trap. Don't worry about the west one, it's never used.

This works because when a runner hits the wrong type of food, he just runs North a few steps.

The defender does need to call, but doesn't need a call to be given to them. Therefore if you are on a good team who know the roles well the healer can also do there job much better as they needn't call.

You can 100% the waves with no runner losses with a single level 1 defender. You just need the right defender

cat_sabbath.png

Trust the Gene Genie!

Grate interview with Excl, I hope Tip takes his advice!

The other articles were great as well :thumbsup:

*edit*

Oh about the DYK. Do not use the cannon unless you have finished your roles duty's. This means if your the attacker, don't use the cannon untill al the Fighters and Rangers are dead. If your the Healer, don't use the cannon untill everyone is at full health. If you are the Collector, Don't use the cannon until it is filled. Only fire the cannon at the Runners. If you use the cannon in any other way you will lose out on potential points.

Few other tips on the cannon in BA

The collecter should NEVER fire the cannon. They get extra points for every egg collected, so as long as there's things dying there's eggs to collect, and points to be had.

Never fire at a poison egg at a poisoned healer. Reason being the healers poison is more than the eggs poison and in firing the egg poison you reset the healer's poison. Better to hit 6's than 2's.

In early rounds the duplicate role can man the cannon all the time. Handy if there a collector but it isn't essential. Makes the rounds end a little quicker. Obviously stay alert to the failings of the team and switch roles and cannon use as and when needed.

cat_sabbath.png

Trust the Gene Genie!

Grate interview with Excl, I hope Tip takes his advice!

The other articles were great as well :thumbsup:

*edit*

Oh about the DYK. Do not use the cannon unless you have finished your roles duty's. This means if your the attacker, don't use the cannon untill al the Fighters and Rangers are dead. If your the Healer, don't use the cannon untill everyone is at full health. If you are the Collector, Don't use the cannon until it is filled. Only fire the cannon at the Runners. If you use the cannon in any other way you will lose out on potential points.

Few other tips on the cannon in BA

The collecter should NEVER fire the cannon. They get extra points for every egg collected, so as long as there's things dying there's eggs to collect, and points to be had.

Never fire at a poison egg at a poisoned healer. Reason being the healers poison is more than the eggs poison and in firing the egg poison you reset the healer's poison. Better to hit 6's than 2's.

In early rounds the duplicate role can man the cannon all the time. Handy if there a collector but it isn't essential. Makes the rounds end a little quicker. Obviously stay alert to the failings of the team and switch roles and cannon use as and when needed.

cat_sabbath.png

Trust the Gene Genie!

I my self have been around since december of 2004 and know what im talking about when i say bots had taken over any and all good resource spots and there needed to be something done about them. this had a major impact on the prices of many many things yews sharks ect but i guess in the long run.. despite the giant impact on prices it was the right thing to do. I my self didnt mind them... but i was never much of a skiller at the time :/ i always kinda liked being able to get cheap resources whenever i wanted its a matter of opinion i guess.

removal of free trade is a very controversial subject . i think there were ways to take care of the real world trading problem with out the removal of free trade. the pros of this are less rwt abo[bleep]ely no scamming ( excluding merchanting clans) less hackings and a bit less begging for free money. the cons of this are no free trade no gifts and no helping out friends when something happens (dying hacking dcing during a fight ect). the grand exchange is a good susbstitute but the price manipulation is wrecking todays econimy

pking... the touchiest subject im going to touch on... the removal of pking is often considered as the biggest blunder jagex ever made, but was it really? I dont think so. if jagex hadnt removed any and all real world trading there would probably be no runescape today. so ask your self this, would you rather have a mildly less enjoyable runescape? or no runescape at all? i think they should have just skipped the bounty hunter bs and just gone straight to pvp worlds

all in all i think jagex made the right choice i probably could have gone on for hours writing about it but i wanted to keep this short:p

Robert7854-89/99 construction

Robert7854.png

I my self have been around since december of 2004 and know what im talking about when i say bots had taken over any and all good resource spots and there needed to be something done about them. this had a major impact on the prices of many many things yews sharks ect but i guess in the long run.. despite the giant impact on prices it was the right thing to do. I my self didnt mind them... but i was never much of a skiller at the time :/ i always kinda liked being able to get cheap resources whenever i wanted its a matter of opinion i guess.

removal of free trade is a very controversial subject . i think there were ways to take care of the real world trading problem with out the removal of free trade. the pros of this are less rwt abo[bleep]ely no scamming ( excluding merchanting clans) less hackings and a bit less begging for free money. the cons of this are no free trade no gifts and no helping out friends when something happens (dying hacking dcing during a fight ect). the grand exchange is a good susbstitute but the price manipulation is wrecking todays econimy

pking... the touchiest subject im going to touch on... the removal of pking is often considered as the biggest blunder jagex ever made, but was it really? I dont think so. if jagex hadnt removed any and all real world trading there would probably be no runescape today. so ask your self this, would you rather have a mildly less enjoyable runescape? or no runescape at all? i think they should have just skipped the bounty hunter bs and just gone straight to pvp worlds

all in all i think jagex made the right choice i probably could have gone on for hours writing about it but i wanted to keep this short:p

Robert7854-89/99 construction

I get the impression Jagex was under a sort of deadline for the RWT thing, due to pressure from credit card companies annoyed at all the credit card fraud that happened in order to make member botting accounts. If they had mroe times, they would of had a more polished PVP alternative, and maybe fixed summoning before releasing it, as summoning wasn't that great of a skill until they updated it like 6 months later. Also, instead of saying "I think they could of fixed it w/o removing free trade," try coming up with an actual alternative. It might be harder then you think.

Considering the rarity of the "right" defender, I'd say it's pretty hard.

And, this is offtopic, but the arguement about it being easy if you know what your doing really annoys me. Everything is. Even nuclear physics probably is, if you know enough lol.

Probably.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I guess my pro-Jagex view was from the fact that I was a runecrafter during that time period and have never really been interested in pking. With that considered I felt that I touched both sides of the argument pretty well and left it open ended so you could thik and tell us what you thought. I believed there is nothing worse (article wise; with the excepcion of a few) then something that doesn't offer any counter argument and therefore any real discussion value further than ya cool article I agree on everything! I tend to enjoy writing the ones where the different side of the story is up there for all the read and that way it encourages people to say something and a bit of rhetoric is a lot of fun sometimes. ;)

As jp said we arn't staff and I would certainlly not accept being told I had to write about something while being told what side I'm supposed to choose. I choose my side because at the time I was a runecrafter and rc pkers were just such noobs (ya that's the right word :P). The day they took out the wilderness was the day I could start efficiently rcing without the hassle of being pestered every other run. I'm sure if I pk'd during that time I'd be focusing more on the PvP part of my article, which I just couldn't sit there and talk about something I have little insight about.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

• 3 weeks later...

Well, imo fixing the gaps the restrictions have cut may never replace an emazipate and self-confident players community as we were before, forming the game at our own rules. Maybe jagex integrated morst of these rules to make the majority still feel comfortable, but a game style organized from the base will always be different from a game style designed from the top to the floor.

In easy words, the old runescape was closer to a free world, that has its own downsides but at least you are free. Maybe now some things are more fair, e.g. everybody is able to sell his products at a fair and stable price etc, you can make faster xp and faster gold, runescape has become more efficient.

But this game no longer attracts me because after the changes I spent some months becoming more and more efficient in any aspect of the game, in the same way Stormveritas mentioned in the article "We Now Return to Your Regularly Scheduled Grinding".

Then I became tired of this kind of work, because the social aspect is just gone. Instead of interacting anarchic and free, nowadays you have a simulation with nearly the same results (ware exchange via GE, lending system, mentor etc) and jagex is still fixing gaps that occur from time to time.

But eventhough the game semms nearly the same, the feeling left while playing has changed, and I suddenly needed aims to continue playing, instead of just be happy while playing. The communities have lost a part of their earlier strength (including the market area, including clans and shops and friendships, which partially consist of exchange).

What I'm trying to explain is runescape was a forest, where you could move relatively free, now there are roads where most people used to wander on but fences at the edges. I personally got bored of walking the roads and now am playing other games, it's a pity that the imho most unique part of runescape is gone, the very realistic, free economy. The wilderness besides. Instead there is just an authoritarian state left. Still, making the slight difference is difficult, because Jagex let us have most of our old comfort.

(And btw I don't blame the company to willingly have cut our freedom; tp survive it seems to have been neccessary; still it's a pity.)

Cheers

Octavian

p.s. sorry for some doublings in my text.

edit: Interesting might be opening come RS classic servers to the public...