Display Names [MOD PLEASE LOCK]

CampbellMC

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't get your facts from a Poll with 7k votes... That's not even 1% of the RS community

But tip.it is a very diverse community, of course it would be nice to have a poll with 1M votes, but such data is not available currently, otherwise I would have used it.

Not really. I guess if you looked at it one way. But most of us stick together. I.e., don't camp. Always slay. Always skill. Don't lure. Don't scam.Don't "[garden tool] honor" don't macro. While many of the latter things are illegal anyways, I know many forums who endorse them.

Also, you seem a tad bit over glorifying, adding comments like people praising your name -- doesn't serve your cause. Also, this thread doesn't seem to go anywhere. You've not offered a solution, nor even a point to this message. Besides complaining about how you'll miss a week of updates. In all reality, us Runescapers have become spoiled, most games do not come out with updates as fast as Jagex does. And now, Campbell, what if Pk3rs r r34l m3n wants to change his name to a more sensible name, shouldn't he be allowed to? I mean, People make accounts just for the names, and then never use them. For example I made an account Icanhaspks, but due to a clerical error, I told Jagex I wasn't born until 2001, thus the account is muted for another couple of years. But if Pk3rs wants to make that his name, now he has his chance. I'm not using it.

Another problem I personally have; is that you have no real facts. Merely fudged numbers such as 83% instead of 80%, and biased speculations based on previous experiences that you've experienced. I see no facts, aka, empirical evidence that shows anything. Nor do I see a plausible point you're trying to prove, other than that you do not want the update. And hey, you know what, maybe in a year or so, you'll be glad of the update, as I was with Farming.

Let's see what your topic is, when you take out all the words and see the points:

Poll:

83% are fine with their names. So the 17% should toughen up (more or less)

Well as a previous user posted, he could live in a mud hut. That is a perfectly reasonable observation. I could walk to my college for class, but I want to drive. I could keep my name I R Teh Noes, but I want to change it. That's reasonable. Also, you cannot count the 2% who DO NOT PLAY RUNESCAPE, thus their opinions besides purely for polling, are null and void. Nor can you include the 1% that is "supposed" to include the people not voting. Simply to make your point stronger.

First paragraph

-People are not going to use the update that often; if it all.

Ok, that goes for many updates, but in a game like Runescape where no update like this has occurred before; you cannot speculate and assume your answer will be correct besides a lucky guess.

Second Paragraph

The bugs may influence people who are not using it.

While that is understandable, and true in some instances, this can happen with any update. You cannot say an update is bad, simply because of the bugs you know will be in there. All that proves is there is an pre-existing condition which makes you not want this update, and you're simply using this point as a poster boy.

Third paragraph

We worked hard typing in a name into a blank space. They were lazy, because they didn't want to take the time to plan out a name.

Ok, so I'll admit that is my version of your point. Ok, well in my opinion, which I'm assuming you want to know otherwise you wouldn't have posted this topic, you simply don't wan tthis update so you can sneer in the faces of Xxxxdinosawrs11xxxX and I Anim3 I, because YOU have an original name. Congratulations on typing in a name that wasn't taken. Must have been hard work. =D> Now I concede that sneering may be a harsh word, but that's the vibe I'm getting from the OP. Hey, get off your ivory tower, reality is calling and she has a message for you. So what. Who cares. Get over it. Maybe they chose out a name as well, they checked to make sure it was available, which is was, but then they had to go to school, work etc. I don't know, nor care. But by the time they got back, the name was taken. So they settled for one with numbers. Why shouldn't they get the name they wanted? Wouldn't you want a second chance if your name was "sk1llz ftw" ? Don't tell me you don't, because I can already tell you would. Which is PERFECTLY REASONABLE.

Fourth Paragraph

People will look for bugs!

Give me one update where they have not.

Conclusion

We have to wait longer for a "real update!"

So what you're saying is, an update that you want. Not an update in general. ;)

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

You can't get your facts from a Poll with 7k votes... That's not even 1% of the RS community

But tip.it is a very diverse community, of course it would be nice to have a poll with 1M votes, but such data is not available currently, otherwise I would have used it.

Not really. I guess if you looked at it one way. But most of us stick together. I.e., don't camp. Always slay. Always skill. Don't lure. Don't scam.Don't "[garden tool] honor" don't macro. While many of the latter things are illegal anyways, I know many forums who endorse them.

Also, you seem a tad bit over glorifying, adding comments like people praising your name -- doesn't serve your cause. Also, this thread doesn't seem to go anywhere. You've not offered a solution, nor even a point to this message. Besides complaining about how you'll miss a week of updates. In all reality, us Runescapers have become spoiled, most games do not come out with updates as fast as Jagex does. And now, Campbell, what if Pk3rs r r34l m3n wants to change his name to a more sensible name, shouldn't he be allowed to? I mean, People make accounts just for the names, and then never use them. For example I made an account Icanhaspks, but due to a clerical error, I told Jagex I wasn't born until 2001, thus the account is muted for another couple of years. But if Pk3rs wants to make that his name, now he has his chance. I'm not using it.

Another problem I personally have; is that you have no real facts. Merely fudged numbers such as 83% instead of 80%, and biased speculations based on previous experiences that you've experienced. I see no facts, aka, empirical evidence that shows anything. Nor do I see a plausible point you're trying to prove, other than that you do not want the update. And hey, you know what, maybe in a year or so, you'll be glad of the update, as I was with Farming.

Let's see what your topic is, when you take out all the words and see the points:

Poll:

83% are fine with their names. So the 17% should toughen up (more or less)

Well as a previous user posted, he could live in a mud hut. That is a perfectly reasonable observation. I could walk to my college for class, but I want to drive. I could keep my name I R Teh Noes, but I want to change it. That's reasonable. Also, you cannot count the 2% who DO NOT PLAY RUNESCAPE, thus their opinions besides purely for polling, are null and void. Nor can you include the 1% that is "supposed" to include the people not voting. Simply to make your point stronger.

First paragraph

-People are not going to use the update that often; if it all.

Ok, that goes for many updates, but in a game like Runescape where no update like this has occurred before; you cannot speculate and assume your answer will be correct besides a lucky guess.

Second Paragraph

The bugs may influence people who are not using it.

While that is understandable, and true in some instances, this can happen with any update. You cannot say an update is bad, simply because of the bugs you know will be in there. All that proves is there is an pre-existing condition which makes you not want this update, and you're simply using this point as a poster boy.

Third paragraph

We worked hard typing in a name into a blank space. They were lazy, because they didn't want to take the time to plan out a name.

Ok, so I'll admit that is my version of your point. Ok, well in my opinion, which I'm assuming you want to know otherwise you wouldn't have posted this topic, you simply don't wan tthis update so you can sneer in the faces of Xxxxdinosawrs11xxxX and I Anim3 I, because YOU have an original name. Congratulations on typing in a name that wasn't taken. Must have been hard work. =D> Now I concede that sneering may be a harsh word, but that's the vibe I'm getting from the OP. Hey, get off your ivory tower, reality is calling and she has a message for you. So what. Who cares. Get over it. Maybe they chose out a name as well, they checked to make sure it was available, which is was, but then they had to go to school, work etc. I don't know, nor care. But by the time they got back, the name was taken. So they settled for one with numbers. Why shouldn't they get the name they wanted? Wouldn't you want a second chance if your name was "sk1llz ftw" ? Don't tell me you don't, because I can already tell you would. Which is PERFECTLY REASONABLE.

Fourth Paragraph

People will look for bugs!

Give me one update where they have not.

Conclusion

We have to wait longer for a "real update!"

So what you're saying is, an update that you want. Not an update in general. ;)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

I think people are set to be disappointed when they find out that names will still have to be unique. I doubt they'll find it any easier to get numberless names than it was when they chose their current names. In fact it will probably be harder.

That's true but remember there is going to be a higher character limit than the current 12 and use of characters which are currently not allowed. So that will give a few more options. :thumbsup:

Character limit is remaining at 12, saw that on the RSOF from Mod Duncan, I think its the 7 page in his sticky about it.

He said that names will remain at 12 characters, but there is room to expand this in the future. But it is not planned to be released along with the name changing system.

Only thing I want to do to my name is Change its format, from Roswellcrash to Roswell Crash which would require 13 characters..

I think people are set to be disappointed when they find out that names will still have to be unique. I doubt they'll find it any easier to get numberless names than it was when they chose their current names. In fact it will probably be harder.

That's true but remember there is going to be a higher character limit than the current 12 and use of characters which are currently not allowed. So that will give a few more options. :thumbsup:

Character limit is remaining at 12, saw that on the RSOF from Mod Duncan, I think its the 7 page in his sticky about it.

He said that names will remain at 12 characters, but there is room to expand this in the future. But it is not planned to be released along with the name changing system.

Only thing I want to do to my name is Change its format, from Roswellcrash to Roswell Crash which would require 13 characters..

Found it:

Location: Home > RuneScape Forums > Future Updates > Dev Blog: Changing Names, Page 18

Mod Duncan Jagex Mod

Regarding allowed characters - there aren't any technical restrictions any more, but that doesn't mean we'll allow every possible character Currently it's not much different from the existing username restrictions.

---

Display Names will initially just be 12 letters long, with about the same restrictions as usernames in terms of what letters you can use. In the future we have the option to expand that, but even if we did we'd make sure you can still friend/ignore and report people

Should have just edited this into the last post #-o

Found it:

Location: Home > RuneScape Forums > Future Updates > Dev Blog: Changing Names, Page 18

Mod Duncan Jagex Mod

Regarding allowed characters - there aren't any technical restrictions any more, but that doesn't mean we'll allow every possible character Currently it's not much different from the existing username restrictions.

---

Display Names will initially just be 12 letters long, with about the same restrictions as usernames in terms of what letters you can use. In the future we have the option to expand that, but even if we did we'd make sure you can still friend/ignore and report people

Should have just edited this into the last post #-o

Ok, well in my opinion, which I'm assuming you want to know otherwise you wouldn't have posted this topic, you simply don't wan tthis update so you can sneer in the faces of Xxxxdinosawrs11xxxX and I Anim3 I, because YOU have an original name. Congratulations on typing in a name that wasn't taken. Must have been hard work. =D> Now I concede that sneering may be a harsh word, but that's the vibe I'm getting from the OP. Hey, get off your ivory tower, reality is calling and she has a message for you. So what. Who cares. Get over it. Maybe they chose out a name as well, they checked to make sure it was available, which is was, but then they had to go to school, work etc. I don't know, nor care. But by the time they got back, the name was taken. So they settled for one with numbers. Why shouldn't they get the name they wanted? Wouldn't you want a second chance if your name was "sk1llz ftw" ? Don't tell me you don't, because I can already tell you would. Which is PERFECTLY

Haha harsh, but so true.

I chose my name at around 11 pm when I had a fever, I just wanted to check the game out and didn't care about a name. Looking back on that moment I would give anything to change my name, and now that chance has come. Congrats to the people that like their names, but what if in a year you might want to change? What's wrong with having options?

Winters Omen.png

5,693rd to 99 Slayer on 10/08/2009

Ok, well in my opinion, which I'm assuming you want to know otherwise you wouldn't have posted this topic, you simply don't wan tthis update so you can sneer in the faces of Xxxxdinosawrs11xxxX and I Anim3 I, because YOU have an original name. Congratulations on typing in a name that wasn't taken. Must have been hard work. =D> Now I concede that sneering may be a harsh word, but that's the vibe I'm getting from the OP. Hey, get off your ivory tower, reality is calling and she has a message for you. So what. Who cares. Get over it. Maybe they chose out a name as well, they checked to make sure it was available, which is was, but then they had to go to school, work etc. I don't know, nor care. But by the time they got back, the name was taken. So they settled for one with numbers. Why shouldn't they get the name they wanted? Wouldn't you want a second chance if your name was "sk1llz ftw" ? Don't tell me you don't, because I can already tell you would. Which is PERFECTLY

Haha harsh, but so true.

I chose my name at around 11 pm when I had a fever, I just wanted to check the game out and didn't care about a name. Looking back on that moment I would give anything to change my name, and now that chance has come. Congrats to the people that like their names, but what if in a year you might want to change? What's wrong with having options?

Winters Omen.png

5,693rd to 99 Slayer on 10/08/2009

Haha harsh, but so true.

I would never run into that problem because I think before I create an account. I really don't care if you think I am just sneering in the face of immature kids that think xx pk3r 0wnzzzx is a cool name, we all know it isn't, it never was, it never will be, end of story.

Haha harsh, but so true.

I would never run into that problem because I think before I create an account. I really don't care if you think I am just sneering in the face of immature kids that think xx pk3r 0wnzzzx is a cool name, we all know it isn't, it never was, it never will be, end of story.

Haha harsh, but so true.

it'll never be cool in YOUR opinion. But it's not your account, so who cares what you think.

Haha harsh, but so true.

it'll never be cool in YOUR opinion. But it's not your account, so who cares what you think.

They are all going to get stuck with more trash names anyways, it isn't fair to take away the good names from people who took time to think of them. All this update is going to do is cause problems. Every update Jagex has done this year has [bleep]ed up parts of the game, so what do you think is going to happen when they release an update that is tied into all their modules. They stated part of this update is a security factor, yet it won't help with security at all. Anyone giving out their password ingame will just say their username if they are that stupid in the first place, and keyloggers will still get both login name and password. The kiddies who picked the stupid names deserve to be stuck with them, that is my stance, and I am going to get this locked now.

They are all going to get stuck with more trash names anyways, it isn't fair to take away the good names from people who took time to think of them. All this update is going to do is cause problems. Every update Jagex has done this year has [bleep]ed up parts of the game, so what do you think is going to happen when they release an update that is tied into all their modules. They stated part of this update is a security factor, yet it won't help with security at all. Anyone giving out their password ingame will just say their username if they are that stupid in the first place, and keyloggers will still get both login name and password. The kiddies who picked the stupid names deserve to be stuck with them, that is my stance, and I am going to get this locked now.

You're getting it locked, because you can't handle a debate?

If you have a name, and am actively using an account, no one will be able to steal your password. And remember, yours, and their definitions of stupid are most likely highly different.

You're getting it locked, because you can't handle a debate?

If you have a name, and am actively using an account, no one will be able to steal your password. And remember, yours, and their definitions of stupid are most likely highly different.

Haha harsh, but so true.

Yeah. So what about when they become mature and decide they really screwed up with their account name that they care about deeply after playing for a few years? They shouldn't be punished indefinitely, and this update aims to help alleviate that.

Your only semi-valid point is the "Numberless and original names show age of account" argument. The statement itself is perfectly true, but it really isn't enough to degrade this update.

2dgucz6.png

Haha harsh, but so true.

Yeah. So what about when they become mature and decide they really screwed up with their account name that they care about deeply after playing for a few years? They shouldn't be punished indefinitely, and this update aims to help alleviate that.

Your only semi-valid point is the "Numberless and original names show age of account" argument. The statement itself is perfectly true, but it really isn't enough to degrade this update.

2dgucz6.png

Locked on request of author. I can see that this is a good debate and if anyone would like to re-make the topic, feel free to.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome