Download Accellerators

Tritous

Yeah, well I thought the need for download accelerators was long gone, yet here I am waiting for a 4.2gb download to drip along because it's being throttled (oblivion, finally decided to buy it) and nothing is more annoying than seeing 2 hours remaining, after an hour shopping trip, go up to 3 hours remaining.

So, DAP has been rubbish for years, but what else is out there? What download accellerators are there with no rubbish ad ons, adware, bugs, compatibility problems and no issues in getting rid of it (it's rare i download things anyway)

Creater of QuestRanker

"I hate it when my target's die laughing, makes me think my fly is open or something"

-Me

99% of accelerators are adware filled junk. Contrary to what they advertise, you simply can't download faster (without hacking the config file of the modem box) than your ISP sets the dl speed roof at, or the speed the server you get the file from.. Sets it to.

The remaining, working accelerators split a file similar to BitTorrent, connecting to the file via multiple connections. One of your connections downloads part 1, one downloads part 2 etc... And then combines them at the end. Which is significantly faster than just waiting for the single file to download at the capped speed. (If the server sets cap at 200kb/s and your connection can handle 1000, it's a waste of time so people use accelerators)

One of the software pieces I found was Internet download manager. Has no adware or spyware, but it's a trial

I know how they work yeah, it's particularly good when the host site is throttling so it can handle the traffic. DAP used to be good, but more and more these days they are all junk. I've heard a few things about internet download manager, but it's a pity it's only trial.

Atm the site I'm getting it off is direct 2 drive, but I know it's the ISP limiting me atm. My concern is that atm it's predicting 8 hours. the throttle should finish at 10pm but as i have work in the morning i wont be up late. I'm wondering if it would be fast enough to download overnight or not since like most downloads it's playing the gradually get slower game...

Creater of QuestRanker

"I hate it when my target's die laughing, makes me think my fly is open or something"

-Me

Isn't it illegal for an ISP to throttle someone's download?

I dont think so, tons of IPs throttle torrents and stuff.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Not in the UK.

It's basically traffic management so they can cram more people onto their services during peak hours.

Strangley I'm throttled during off-peak periods. It's rather frustrating, when I have 160gb remaining in my off peak quota but I struggle to get 500k a second using IDM or uTorrent.

SoLawny.png

your bandwidth speed and download speed arent the same. In particular a torrent or stream is limited by the whole length of the connection.

I'm with Virgin, and they apply a 75% throttle to anyone who exceeds a threshold of 3GB in a 5 hour period in mornings, 1.8GB in evenings, non limited at night (for my package, varies for other packs). The throttle applies for 5 hours, or resets in 1 hour if you cut all useage (unplug). TBH, that's rarely an issue, even video streaming doesnt that easily break that unless you are hammering things out in HQ. But buying a game that has a 4.3GB file, a 1GB expansion, and it cutting out halfway and having to restart the download....that breaks threshold.

I rarely download anything tbh, so i've not bothered with an accellerator in years. Certainly it'll be rare i download anything intense enough to get throttled my end, but sometimes it's frustrating if it's something 100MB and it's going insanesly slow their end...

I use Google Chrome so firefox based accelerators wont work, hate firefox anyway

Creater of QuestRanker

-Me

Been using Metaproducts Download Express for ages - used to be the free taster for something else, now still free but has additional Pro features if bought.

The main advantages of the better accelerators are:

Multi-streaming, though I have this set to 2 or 3, many servers will ONLY let you get away with two.

Speed throttling - often YOU want to do this, in order to carry on browsing / online gaming.

Resume function - the best reason for NOT using a bog-standard browser download.

A few can manage the really clever trick of multi-mirror multi-streaming, searching for other sources, but the only ones that can are either buy or stinking adware,