Firemaking Useless

gummibear95

Firemaking does have some use, but not a whole lot. I'm just dissapointed that Jagex doesn't take the time to use all it's potential, because it could be made so much better..

Pfffffff, why stop at 100m firemaking? Just do 200m.

If the colour red encountered blue in PvP, who would win?

Hope you get the essence of that question...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what's funny is that, if the firemaking skill hadn't existed, and Jagex introduced it now along with all the things it benefits, everyone would be so disappointed in them for releasing such an abysmal skill.

Well, it used to serve a point back before Jagex added things like banks...

how did it work without banks...?

Because you had to make do with what you had on hand. If you needed something to eat, you had better have a tinderbox and some wood or an axe.

Firemaking does have some use, but not a whole lot. I'm just dissapointed that Jagex doesn't take the time to use all it's potential, because it could be made so much better..

Pfffffff, why stop at 100m firemaking? Just do 200m.

If the colour red encountered blue in PvP, who would win?

Hope you get the essence of that question...

I guess you're right, there's really no point in 200ming a skill where you wouldn't even be top21. Frankly, 200ming and not even being top15 is also kind of a kick in the groin, but at the time Drum wasn't trying for it plus I was already pretty far past the starting gate anyway.

I personally don't find firemaking as useful as other skills, but I still train it just to get my total level up. In P2P there are some points to it, but in F2P apart from getting the total level up, it is completely useful.

Well without fire making log prices would go down a ton, and so would axe prices, etc. etc. So we can't take it out of the game. But I have to say, it does have one use some people haven't thought of yet: If you're in Karamja, fishing, you thank the lord when you see the guy sit down to light a fire so you can cook your fish :D

oversized.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's "kinda" useless for f2p, because in f2p there is not better thing than lighting some logs, but in p2p there are more uses.

For example?

What - having the levels to complete a quest and get a quest cape/some other rewards! Oh, how could I forget, a skill cape! Easy EXP for other skills! Wow!

Firemaking currently has almost no practical uses as I know of.

For example equipping the hand cannon, getting additional prayer exp. burning pyre ships, the Inferno Daze.

Handcannon- No. The handcannon was a failed attempt to balance range in the combat triangle. In all scenarios you should use a rune crossbow instead because the rune crossbow is vastly superior. (I know people will argue with this statement)

Adze- Your training firemaking for another way to train firemaking. Yay.

Additional prayer xp- Are you talking about lighting burners for altars? FM requirement could be removed either way and nothing would change.

Pyre Ships- Same thing as above, have the FM requirement replaced by a more useful skill.

arcane_stew.png

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

I would say it was at the moment, a skill in need of a revamp. The inferno adze was a great little addition to training woodcut on maples for example; but the item was rendered useless after the ivy update. Along with Smithing, I am sure this skill will be updated soon (although not as much as smithing I hope). A lot of people still say it's an extreamly easy skill. I would agree with them that the xp an hour is great, but the amount of clicking is insane (especailly with different, more complex techniques).

Blue_partyhat_large.gif - The Daily Life Of A Scaper, Updates, Skills, Guides And So Much More! Subscribe today!

http://zeldja.wordpress.com/

Well, if I remember from the old Tutorial Island, Firemaking was supposed to be so you could cook your food anywhere in case of emergency. Nonmembers use it for fighting Lessers on Karamja, they need to fish their food and cook it on a fire.

Well, if I remember from the old Tutorial Island, Firemaking was supposed to be so you could cook your food anywhere in case of emergency. Nonmembers use it for fighting Lessers on Karamja, they need to fish their food and cook it on a fire.

It would be faster to bank and get food than it would be to fish an inventory and cook them all.

arcane_stew.png

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

Firemaking is absolutely useful. It gives woodcutters other suckers to sell their products to. Also the firemaking skillcape emote is awesome in my opinion. All skills have some purpose, sometimes purposes that Jagex didn't intend to have. Firemaking didn't have the intent that Jagex wanted but its still useful, again it gives Woodcutters the ability to branch out and sell their products to both F2P and P2P as they both have their own skill that goes along with wcing.

It takes many people to construct a weapon of mass destruction, but only 1 idiot to use it.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Firemaking is absolutely useful. It gives woodcutters other suckers to sell their products to. Also the firemaking skillcape emote is awesome in my opinion. All skills have some purpose, sometimes purposes that Jagex didn't intend to have. Firemaking didn't have the intent that Jagex wanted but its still useful, again it gives Woodcutters the ability to branch out and sell their products to both F2P and P2P as they both have their own skill that goes along with wcing.

I think the emote looks failed, like thieving and slayer >.>

Also, logs that are cut for cash are not logs that firemakers use. (yews magics)

arcane_stew.png

Good point, I never really thought of it that way. Though if Firemaking didn't exist, logs would just be cheaper as there would be less skills (and therefore demand) to use them in. Unintended use I would say.

Also, logs that are cut for cash are not logs that firemakers use. (yews magics)

You would be surpised how many people use yews and even magic logs for Firemaking. May I add Magic, Cooking and Fletching to your list of failed emotes?

Good point, I never really thought of it that way. Though if Firemaking didn't exist, logs would just be cheaper as there would be less skills (and therefore demand) to use them in. Unintended use I would say.

You would be surpised how many people use yews and even magic logs for Firemaking. May I add Magic, Cooking and Fletching to your list of failed emotes?

Why would you spend so much on a useless easy skill? <_<

arcane_stew.png

It's "kinda" useless for f2p, because in f2p there is not better thing than lighting some logs, but in p2p there are more uses.

For example?

What - having the levels to complete a quest and get a quest cape/some other rewards! Oh, how could I forget, a skill cape! Easy EXP for other skills! Wow!

For example equipping the hand cannon, getting additional prayer exp. burning pyre ships, the Inferno Daze.

Handcannon- No. The handcannon was a failed attempt to balance range in the combat triangle. In all scenarios you should use a rune crossbow instead because the rune crossbow is vastly superior. (I know people will argue with this statement)

Additional prayer xp- Are you talking about lighting burners for altars? FM requirement could be removed either way and nothing would change.

Pyre Ships- Same thing as above, have the FM requirement replaced by a more useful skill.

These are terrible arguments. (except for the hand cannon one) If you removed the smithing requirements off making metal armor and put it into mining, Smithing would be useless. Your point is?

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

Lol, in f2p firemaking is entirely useless. In p2p it has some uses- but mostly there're better/faster ways/items than the one provided by firemaking. As far as I'm concerned 99 fming is something that someone has got to trim their skillcape.

Look guys... I absolutely must be a mass baby-seal murderer!

For example?

These are terrible arguments. (except for the hand cannon one) If you removed the smithing requirements off making metal armor and put it into mining, Smithing would be useless. Your point is?

But smithing actually makes sense.

Training to light logs on fire does not.

arcane_stew.png

Many people belive firemaking is usless, but thats partialy false.

it has a few things that it can do, that make life (sometimes easier in runescape.

it lets you make fires anywere, so long as you have logs with you.

you can use the beacon network,

you can use it in quests,

minigames,

prayer restor lamps in haunted woods,

hand cannon,

pyres.

there are a few things, that it can do, but people still think theres no point in trainin it.

do you think its usless? or do you think that it is an important skill?

do you think there is a way to make this skill better?

convince me.

let the Debate Begin!

:-k :-k :-k :-k

I'll say one thing.

Fire Adze.

:)

I personally wanna reach level 92 in fming. For this reason.

I think every skill is usefull, without fming you wouldn't have bulleye-lantern and would blow yourself up using candles.

*some caves do that*

IIIonk.gif

I'll say one thing.

Fire Adze.

:)

I personally wanna reach level 92 in fming. For this reason.

I think every skill is usefull, without fming you wouldn't have bulleye-lantern and would blow yourself up using candles.

*some caves do that*

The thing about the adze is that the only reason to get it is to further train your firemaking level.

Personally I think of it as just another less important skill. I've trained it for a bit till 80 something while being f2p for requirements mostly. Some quests need a decent fm lvl, but for the most part it's a useless skill and the game wouldn't suffer one bit if it wasn't there in the first place.

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

• 2 weeks later...

I was rather annoyed about the lack of change in fm. especially through dungeoneering.

once again all it does is allow you to burn a log/branch that will burn for longer. i mean its realy not important. cmon jagex you can make this skill better! :D

sausagewalls.png

sausagewalls.png

sausagewalls.png

sausagewalls.png

I was rather annoyed about the lack of change in fm. especially through dungeoneering.

once again all it does is allow you to burn a log/branch that will burn for longer. i mean its realy not important. cmon jagex you can make this skill better! :D

This is not true at all, especially within Daemonheim. Not only do higher tier logs burn longer, they also drastically reduce the amount of burnt fish one cooks. Comparing Tangle Gum to Spinebeam shows a drastic difference in successfully cooked fish.

This is not true at all, especially within Daemonheim. Not only do higher tier logs burn longer, they also drastically reduce the amount of burnt fish one cooks. Comparing Tangle Gum to Spinebeam shows a drastic difference in successfully cooked fish.

Which is truelly awesome.

xxmaryjanex.png

xxmaryjanex.png

Hmmm....

It's a little bit strange, but I actually sometimes just use FM to waste money: I don't have nearly enough cash for prayer or herb, already have fletch and cook... wierd, but I really just need somewhere to waste the profit from farming and slayer. Seems stupid, now that I think about it, especially considering how cheap it is nowadays.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Is firemaking useless next to other skills? Yeah, pretty much. However, at the same time, Jagex has done a commendable job of making the skill more useful than it was in its original incarnation. Way back in RS Classic, what was firemaking good for? One thing, and one thing only: making portable ranges, which could be used to cook basic meats, and nothing else. It seems strange today that the Gowers would make a skill so laughably simple, but it was a simpler time. They figured that people should be able to make fires in their game, so they added logs and tinderboxes, and then they decided, on a whim, that making fires was something that the player should be able to get better at with time, so they made it into a skill. Firemaking wasn't the only single-use skill, either; woodcutting was useful only for getting normal logs that could be used to make fires. Cooking was useful only for making cooked meat and bread - no other foods existed yet. There was also a skill called "tailoring" that was useful only for making basic leather items. Wow, right? Nobody was expected to get level 99 in these skills. I'll bet that nobody was even expected to get level 10.

However, it's nine years later, and in the intervening time, Runescape's players have gotten more and more experience in these skills, and have been taking this game more and more seriously. So, Jagex has been engaged in an endless struggle to take these useless skills, and make them useful. Woodcutting was saved by the release of the fletching skill, which created a use for higher grades of wood. Cooking was saved by the release of fishing, and some more advanced forms of baking. Tailoring... well, tailoring was quickly abandoned, and its abilities were merged into the crafting skill. But what about firemaking? It quickly became too late to abandon firemaking, and it didn't make sense to merge its abilities into another skill, so what could possibly be added to it?

Shade burning, pyre ships, a few quests and a minigame.

That's not much, but it's more than I'd ever think to add to the skill, so in this way, Jagex has shown some respectable creativity. They put their heads together, thought up some clever ideas, and now firemaking isn't an absolutely useless skill. It's only pretty useless.

kindness.png