Windows 7 out and ready for action

JoeDaStudd

I know there are better ones for cheaper or the same, but my parents hands are tied and we can only buy from Littlewoods. Will the one I linked be good enough or not? :?

:S Littlewoods are extortionate. Yes, it will run Windows 7 decently. For things like gaming, it'll fall down, but it's fine for normal use.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have been using Windows 7 Enterprise for a while now and so far my experiences are very positive. I totally love the new task bar and the ability to pin programs to it. The whole O.S. is very fast. I sometimes feel like it's more fluid than my XP boot is, but as we all know that the proof of an OS is after you have been running it for a while and have installed/un-installed various apps and games that generally leave stuff laying around.

It's the little touches I like, such as shaking a window which minimises all others on the desktop, that has to be the daftest and most useful feature I have seen in ages, how could I ever have managed without it!

One of the things that I was very impressed with was Windows Media Centre, so far it hands down beats any other PVR solution I have tried, including MythTV and GBPVR. It's very slick and fast, I even found an iPlayer extension for it :)

My conclusion: A decent upgrade from Vista/XP if you have the specs for the new version of Aero and get it for a lower price/free through an agreement with Microsoft (Like in schools and such). It did a lot of cleanup, the boot is faster at ~1-1½ minutes (Which still doesn't beat Karmic on my machine which gets about 30 seconds boot, 7 seconds shutdown) and the new taskbar is nice. But since I don't really use Windows anyway, I'm not really sure I would have paid for this.

Windows media player 12 is really cool. I've always liked WMP, it has a really nice interface and isn't so unstable and resource hogging as iTunes. (But I don't like the fact that it's hard to convince it to play FLAC)

C2b6gs7.png

Whats the deal with all the Windows 7 wireless issues? There are people ranting (including me) on literally every windows 7 forum about all the problems with random disconnections. People have offered various solutions but none of them seem to work forever. Latest drivers, latest windows updates, disabled ivp6, disabled power management on wifi etc and it still does it. No problems at all on XP, Wii, other non W7 wireless devices.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I just installed it and I already feel a huge difference in speed, stability and combatibility.. I recommend it !

WildernessGuardSigmadebyFir.gif

Feel free to stop by our community for lots of new experiences, alot of new friendly faces and proffesional ingame experience.

Visit us at:

WG forums

WG Memberlist

Whats the deal with all the Windows 7 wireless issues? There are people ranting (including me) on literally every windows 7 forum about all the problems with random disconnections. People have offered various solutions but none of them seem to work forever. Latest drivers, latest windows updates, disabled ivp6, disabled power management on wifi etc and it still does it. No problems at all on XP, Wii, other non W7 wireless devices.

I don't know, on my end, the wireless on Vista and Windows 7 has been much better than on XP. I've had much less disconnections than on XP and Vista as well with my Win7 Pro installation.

Unfortunately your happiness with wifi on W7 isnt shared by lots of people on Windows 7 support forums all around the world. :(

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Unfortunately your happiness with wifi on W7 isnt shared by lots of people on Windows 7 support forums all around the world. :(

Don't take support forums as an indication of how well something is doing. They're just where people go to complain, so naturally, readin support forums will lead you to believe a product is crap ;)

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Well it is crap. This is a brand new computer fresh out the box and the wireless internet is dropping every 10-15mins. When plugged into ethernet its fine. Other computers running off the router are fine. Drivers are up to date. Other people are having the exact same issues. Noone appears to have a solution.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi