Windows 7 out and ready for action

JoeDaStudd

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're probably going to have to do a clean install though, which will involve making a back-up of all of the files you want to keep (on a few USB sticks or an external hard drive), wiping your hard-drive clean (a.k.a. low level formatting), installing windows 7, then moving your back-up files back on to your computer.

Never ever do a low level formatting except if you're having a lot of trouble with your hard drive. I normal format is enough to install it, and when you install windows 7 it will ask to format, which will be enough.

Ah, I didn't know that. I thought you had to low level format it. My bad.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

My brother keeps saying 'Have you looked up the Windows 7 upgrade yet?' and it's doing my head in. Tbh even though it's rubbishy, I don't want to risk putting something with higher Requirements than what I'm currently running. I also can't afford it (my brother says there's a free upgrade available - I doubt it). I think it looks nicer, but Vista does (mostly) what I want it to do.

Except run Portal that is <_<

Windows 7 has less system requirements, not more.

My brother keeps saying 'Have you looked up the Windows 7 upgrade yet?' and it's doing my head in. Tbh even though it's rubbishy, I don't want to risk putting something with higher Requirements than what I'm currently running. I also can't afford it (my brother says there's a free upgrade available - I doubt it). I think it looks nicer, but Vista does (mostly) what I want it to do.

Nah, they're about the same/more than Vista basic.

I'm just not very adventurous. I don't want to risk getting 7 and it not working, I'd be screwed. Tbh I don't trust myself to not screw it all up :P

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Vista

Windows 7

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Why does anybody buy the retail version? Buy Vista. For example, my dad wanted w7 home premium. He went and bought 64bit Vista with a free w7 upgrade for $140. He saves $200 by waiting a few weeks.

What store?

There's no such deals around where I live.

Really? They are everywhere where I live. Hell, buy it online from Australia then, it'll save you more money

SoLawny.png

\:D/ I get Win 7 free from TAFE. I wanna upgrade to 64bit, but can't go through reinstalling everything as well as having to backup all my files as I have ~250GB of files.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

\:D/ I get Win 7 free from TAFE. I wanna upgrade to 64bit, but can't go through reinstalling everything as well as having to backup all my files as I have ~250GB of files.

External hard drives are relatively cheap nowadays, I think you could find an external hard drive of 500GB for not to much.

I had the windows 7 beta for quite a while, it ran perfectly and in my opinion alot better than Vista ever did on my laptop. I cannot wait to get it on my new laptop when I get it, the full version should be SA-WEET!

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

Officeworks, 300gb external HDD for $75 or 1TB for $130

SoLawny.png

I have an external already, except it has important data I can't erase, plus I haven't the money to spare on a second one after I got a fine yesterday. :wall:

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

I have an external already, except it has important data I can't erase, plus I haven't the money to spare on a second one after I got a fine yesterday. :wall:

liquor or speeding?

SoLawny.png

Noobish question here. I can download Windows 7 Professional for free because of a school thing, but right now it's only available in 64 bit. I know I am running 32 bit Vista, but can I use the 64 bit Windows 7? What's the difference, anyway?

basically i believe 64-bit can use more RAM than 32-bit but with 32-bit you can still reserve RAM to put on your integrated graphics, 32-bit can only handle 2 gigs of RAM 64-bit can handle 4 gigs, or up possibly, and while 64-bit is stronger, it has some compatibility problems so 32-bit is more convenient, it won't run your system to maximum power.

Just my noob guess.

wingwinder.png

indifference.gif

Noobish question here. I can download Windows 7 Professional for free because of a school thing, but right now it's only available in 64 bit. I know I am running 32 bit Vista, but can I use the 64 bit Windows 7? What's the difference, anyway?

basically i believe 64-bit can use more RAM than 32-bit but with 32-bit you can still reserve RAM to put on your integrated graphics, 32-bit can only handle 2 gigs of RAM 64-bit can handle 4 gigs, or up possibly, and while 64-bit is stronger, it has some compatibility problems so 32-bit is more convenient, it won't run your system to maximum power.

Just my noob guess.

You've got a lot wrong with it and a little right.

32 bit can support up to roughly 3.5GB of RAM

64 bit can theoretically support up to (IIRC) 128GB of RAM

64 bit compatability issues are a thing of the past as every major (and even minor these days) drivers have support for 64-bit OS's. Software wise both Vista and Windows 7 have a 32bit and 64 bit folders so you can run both 32 bit and 64 bit software on a 64 bit OS.

My school's also partnered with Microsoft so I get it for free, but I haven't upgraded from XP yet because I've only 512mb of RAM. I'm also too lazy to move everything to an external hard drive and back :P But I'll probably get some more RAM and install it by Christmas.

wl7w9j.png

Just my noob guess.

64 bit compatability issues are a thing of the past as every major (and even minor these days) drivers have support for 64-bit OS's. Software wise both Vista and Windows 7 have a 32bit and 64 bit folders so you can run both 32 bit and 64 bit software on a 64 bit OS.

Actually it supports 2^64 addresses, which is far more than 128GB RAM.

Just my noob guess.

Actually it supports 2^64 addresses, which is far more than 128GB RAM.

Alright yeah, I couldn't remember exactly. Just knew it was high =P.

Technically, it's 2^63, the last bit is used to determine whether a number is positive or negative.

So following your logic 32 bit supports 2^31? That would make it support up to 2GB RAM, whilst 2^32 is around 4 GB. I'm pretty sure it's not 2^63. Can you elaborate on that negative business? Since when can you have negative memory locations ?

Technically 64bit can address 16 exabytes of RAM. However, it is quite obvious that we will not reach this amount for a single machine for at least a decade, so there are some restrictions, such as CPU and Operating System put in place. Windows 7 Home Premium can do 16GB max, whereas professional can do 192GB, as can Enterprise and Ultimate.

Just my noob guess.

You're quite wrong there. 32bit takes up to ~3.25GB of RAM, and 64bit can take up to huge numbers of RAM, which I will not name here since I don't remember exaclty, but it takes more RAM than we will ever need in a while. About the compatibility, since Vista, most 32bit programs do work on 64bit Windows. I've personnally never hit a compatiblity problem and am Running Windows Vista x64 as well as Windows 7 x64.

That's only the memory you can see. A 32-bit system can handle addresses for 4GB but can only supply 3.25GB to any single process. A 64-bit system can handle up to 16 exabytes or 18,446,744,073 GB. On Windows, Microsoft caps the maximum amount of memory on some of their OSs to 128GB for any single process. Just adding to what sbrideau2000 said. |^_^|

hopesolopatriot.jpg