Hegemony Argument Thread

archimage_a

Ok, created the starmap, still need to name the systems, so if anyone wants to suggest some names =)

Also do people prefer the map with constellations or without?

Without:

[hide]

U1Nl1.png

[/hide]

With:

[hide]

MoEvP.png

[/hide]

Ps, thanks Ross, I will get it done soon.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I-It-It's.. GLORIOUS

:shock:

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Ktetm Sextus

Immaturity :D

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

I would like to live in a blue-starred system, with any sized star. The system will be called Lithios, named after the star which guides the Lithian race. Oh, and here's what my vision was for a Lithian. Just imagine the monster in the picture standing up, with larger legs and arms instead of front legs. Basically humanoid version of it.

msgaquanites.png

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Well the planet starting system will go something like this:

Game Starts:

Game is paused for 1 week to allow for the advanced start.

People secretly PM me the planet they want to start on.

I PM back the system map and system datafile.

People chose their planet.

I give them the Planet map and planet datafile.

They can then survey planets in their system for a point cost, colonise planets in their system for a point cost, survey/colonise other systems for a point cost, get research for a point cost, build ships for a point cost, explore stellar phenemonon for a point cost. As well as design the cities on their capital planet, if they want. If not I can make them(These maps would be used for combat and such).

When they have spent all their points I will give them their Empire summery, which informs on all the things going on their empire.

Ie, morale, research, building, economy, population, army size and other stuff.

@Mather: Sol isn't on the map.

Is this combat system mainly space based or land based? For example in the first Hegemony, it seemed like you could just do everything from space, and not even land. Sorta ruins the purpose of an army, if you can just use bioweapons and orbital bombardment to win.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Archi,

I prefer without constellations, I feel that the constellations are a tad useless and would hurt my eyes to look at for long periods of time.

I agree with Retech, space combat is not as fun as land combat.

I have created my species, I hope its ok with everybody, especially Archi ;-). This race is pretty unothadox but I think it fits with the constraints of reality.

Zygons

The Zygons are a species of small, weak but clever animals with an Antenna on their heads. They have a varied amount of extremly short legs which are placed unevenly around of their body. The legs range from four to ten but some can be born with deformitys of higher or lower amounts. Zygons have small hands with two fingers and a thumb and are only really used for manipulation of objects. All Zygons have an antenna which sticks out from the top of their head with a large ball on the end.

A Zygons mouth is the strongest part of it and has extremly hard and fast growing teeth.

They do not have eyes and instead sensor around themselves by detecting vibrations, electrical signals and heat.

Immune system works a bit like biological bleach, killing everything small and foriegn (as if its an acid)

The brain of the Zygon is small and encased in a kerotin shell but is extremly powerful, It is ten times more powerful then a human brain in just about everything such as problem solving and creative thought.

Zygons are extremely powerful

Advantages

•  
  • Extremely clever.
  • Very powerful psionically.
  • Can survive in water.

Disadvantages:

Not strong.

Extremly vunerable to attacks.

Slow walking.

Can't survive on most planets without aid.

Beliefs: Although I wish I could peacefully intergrate with other races I fear that they will all pretend to be nice then eat me, self preservation is important but not as important as the needs of many, logic over compassion.

[Falador tavern]

Orbital bombardment will, in small amounts, reduce the amount of resource on a planet, making the planet less useful. In larger amounts it will reduce the habitability of a planet, meaning less population, making the planet less useful again, as well as spawning higher risk from virus/plague/other effect.

Not to mention E2S missles/lasers will have a significant advantange. So, unless someone wants total destruction and has built ships capable of taking massive amounts of damage, orbitable bombardment will not be the 'best' way of taking control of a planet.

Though obvouisly blowing up various cities from space will force more primative cultures to surrender or negotiate at least. More advanced cultures will recieve a bonus on building E2S weapons.

On the flipside, each planet will need an army and defences built.

Still working on a good space combat system. :thumbup:

Oh, constellations are pretty useful, rather than twenty of thirty difficult to remember names for your own little empire, plus planet names, not to mention the almost 600 systems there are, totaling between 3 and 12 thousand planets...rather than that there are only around 100-150 constellations, and your empire will probably be spread over less than 5 of them.

Alpha, Beta and Gamma Lyra is considerably easier than remembering Xi Lipticum, Shan Trogan and Dendexicoft.

Easier to type too...

But if it hurts your eyes the standard map will be the standard map, and the constellation map is an auxillary, and I will just use it for system namings.

Race wise:

So physically weak to offset mental prowess. I think that is ok, though I will need to work on it in more detail when I am less exausted :rolleyes:

Race: Human

Nation: Independent Colonies of Mankind

Technology – Advanced terraforming, deep mining, asteroid mining, ship boarding, E2S missiles, planetary shields

Advantages – Not smelly aliens

Disadvantages – Smelly humans

Beliefs – We fought for our independence, and we'll fight again to keep it.

Cool, I assume they are some kind of informal alliance of colonies.

Should make a change from the hive mines and centra-govs of everyone else.

If you don't have anything to add I will write something up tommrow.

Night all.

@Rocco: Yeah, sure, I will just use the Formis as an NPC race somewhere.

@Mather: I send ships from Y-2-8-3 to Y-2-8-3...

Lumosity and size would have to be on a sliding scale between 1 and 10 - else you would get B-325-324 - Which would mean less than 100 of each star colour to avoid renames....it would also complicate things because people would argue that Y-5-5 needs a bonus over Y-5-4.

I am probably gonna go with(probably too many so some may be cut)

[hide]

Altair

Andromeda

Antares

Antlia

Apis

Apus

Aquapois

Aquarius

Aquila

Ara

Aranea

Arcturis

Argo

Aries

Auriga

Australe

Australis

Austrinus

Bellatrix

Berenices

Betelgeuse

Bootes

Borealis

Brahe

Bufo

Caeli

Caelum

Camelopardalis

Cancer

Canes

Canis

Canopus

Capella

Capricornus

Carina

Cassiopeia

Centaurus

Cepheus

Cerberus

Ceti

Cetus

Chamaelon

Chernkov

Circinus

Columba

Coma

Copernicus

Corona

Corvus

Crater

Crux

Cygnus

Delphinus

Deneb

Dorado

Draco

Dubhe

Equuuleus

Eridanus

Felis

Formalhaut

Fornax

Gallus

Gemini

Gorno

Groombridge

Grus

Hercules

Hirudo

Horilogium

Hydra

Hydrus

Hyperion

Illuminati

Indi

Indus

Jordanus

Kepler

Klystron

Kruger

Lacaille

Lacerta

Lalanda

Leo

Leonis

Lepus

Libra

Librae

Lilium

Limax

Lipi

Lumbridge

Lupus

Luyten

Lyncis

Lynx

Lyra

Malus

Manis

Mensa

Merak

Metis

Microscorpium

Mira

Mizar

Monoceros

Muralis

Musca

Navis

Noctua

Norma

Octans

Olber

Ophiuchus

Orion

Patella

Pavo

Pegasus

Perseus

Phoenix

Phylax

Pictor

Pinna

Pisces

Pollux

Procyon

Ptolemae

Puppis

Pyxis

Quadrans

Ramus

Raynet

Regulus

Reticulum

Rigel

Robur

Sagitta

Sagittarius

Scorpia

Scorpius

Sculptor

Scuti

Scutum

Serpens

Sextans

Solarium

Tatus

Telescorpium

Terebellum

Testudo

Tigris

Triangulum

Tucana

Ursa

Vega

Vela

Velorum

Vespa

Virgo

Volans

Volantis

Vulpecula

Wolf

Zeeman

[/hide]

Yes....So Y-1-1-5 is in one system and Y-1-1-6 is in another system on the other side of the universe. That is just gonna lead to confusion.

Not to mention the existance of between 3 and 12 thousand planets, so 750 designations wouldn't help...

Furthermore it doesn't address the five or six hours of me assigning designations based on a 10 by 10 pixal image, over taxing my brain with something needlessly complicated.

Nor does it help people in any manner

Nor is it rememberable

It is, however, easily mistypable, overly numberly and relatively ugly to look at.

So...If I understand this correctly, your system is:

Lumosity, Size, Number of Planets.

Which would either mean names were only revealed after discovery, or people could just bypass the systems with low planet counts.

And you still have not addressed any of the other concerns mentioned.

Not to mention that Y-10-10-X is pretty unlikely, since Yellow stars are meant to be fairly small and less luminous...so really you are looking at maybe 3 or 4 numbers per colour, which would mean between 9 and 14 stars of each.

Which can then lead to between 48 and 144 different designations, based on the number of planet(Which, again would have likely ranges, finding twenty planets orbiting a red dwarf seems very unlikely, just as one planet orbiting a Blue Supergiant seems very unlikey)...but there would be repeats, which makes the system wholely worthless.

At present I can see no benefit to this system. It takes longer, its harder to remember and is more complicated to use.

If you want to do a sample case on four or five sectors then please do and maybe it will look better than I think it will.

Actually, the reason certain stars are more common in certain sizes is because of how much fuel they use, blue stars are often giants because they last longest.

Will there be pulsars (neutron stars with twins which cause pulses of radiation)?

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Supergiants tend to have shorter lifespans than dwarfs, since they burn hotter and faster. Hence why 76% of stars in the real universe are red and less than half the size of our sun.

There is a bunch of sciencey stuff to do with the Chandrasekhar limit, Carbon Fusion and other stuff that I will avoid going into because it is fairly dull to anyone who isn't interested.

Pulstars, Magnetars, Wormholes, Rogue Planets, Nebulaes, Blackholes, Sub-Spacial Zones, Voids, Cosmic Strings, Solar Nursaries, Comets, Dark Matter Asteroids, Zero-Point Clusters and other stuff will all be included, though will not be on the map because it would be overloaded...plus searching/accidently running into that stuff will be considerably more entertaining than pointing a ship at a destination.

All the stars on the map are Between type O and M though.