RIP OLD SCHOOL

polo2340

Dungeoneering is the start of a next golden age, but that's just my opinion.

Then again, it really depends on if you love it or not.

I agree. Interdependence, having to rely on personal skills, it's all coming back.

Ummmmmm.....................

Not much to say.

If you want to find me in Runescape, my name is not applyapple. It is vetoscadiva.

Complain as you like about Jagex, but think about what they've done. How many MMORPG designers go around to creating as complex an in-game world as Jagex? They do need to get around to making a equipable knife, though.

With everyone's complaining about updates, it's amzing that there isn't a forum topic on the fact that the chat box says "You can't reach that" (as opposed to "I can't reach that!").

I agree. Interdependence, having to rely on personal skills, it's all coming back.

I hope they'll make more of those content like the the dungeoneering bit, I kinda like the adventure feel.

La Vallett1

A.k.a. "Nostalgic Vallett"

What's been said must be done.

I've been playing since the summer of 2003 and stopped playing this march (march 2010) because of the new update, that of course being constitution. I couldn't begin to tell all of you the memories of playing,but who would have thought that Jagex would go so down hill and start releasing these outrageous updates? I know it's drastic to quit after a new update, but when you've played for as long as I have, or longer, it's hard to adapt to these new changes. I honestly don't know why Jagex is just ignoring the negative responses that these updates have gotten. I personally know of atleast 15 people (in real life) besides myself that have quit because of the updates. The trade limit and the wilderness are updates that I didn't like, but I could see why they changed them, but changing the hitpoints is just pointless and very frustrating! They say that they did it because new players often complain that they're sick of hitting 0's. I find that stupid because when I was a new player I worked hard in order to level up, knowing that I would start hitting higher and more often, that was the fun of it!

@RevRun, Really? I've been around since '01 and having HP change to constitution hasn't made much of an impact on my playing time. (besides poison damage), as for constant 0's, I'm 99 defence and so far only today did It actually show it's use compared to other times.

(I'll still call it hp though, otherwise its confusing with Constitution and Construction.)

As for dungeoneering, a very good update. If you dont like it, it doesn't effect your playing at all and if you do like it... well, you like it! not to mention some rewards are quite useful, like the tomb of frost for F2P, all they need then is just law runes w/air staff and presto, its like the Camelot teleport camping we used to do as young members.

Popoto.~<3

I hope they'll make more of those content like the the dungeoneering bit, I kinda like the adventure feel.

RS itself can have an adventure feel, dungeoneering just sets a goal for you.

Not much to say.

If you want to find me in Runescape, my name is not applyapple. It is vetoscadiva.

Complain as you like about Jagex, but think about what they've done. How many MMORPG designers go around to creating as complex an in-game world as Jagex? They do need to get around to making a equipable knife, though.

With everyone's complaining about updates, it's amzing that there isn't a forum topic on the fact that the chat box says "You can't reach that" (as opposed to "I can't reach that!").

RS itself can only have an adventure feel when you just began playing.

Unless you're a very imaginative person or something. Most people don't think RS have an adventure feel past the first few months of playing, especially in F2P. Much of RS is just grinding, and not adventure.

1. Sweatshops aren't even concentrated in Southeast Asia. They are mostly in China.

Hmm.......I grabbed my globe, and from what it looks like on there, about 80% of China is included in Southeast Asia. And looks like about 80% of Southeast Asia is also China. This is of course assuming that Asia is roughly between 45 E and 135 E, and between 15 N and 75 N. So if you take the midpoint of there, then anything down and to the right of the intersection of 45 N and 90 E would be Southeast Asia. So it appears you are correct by default, because most of Southeast Asia is China, then it follows that a majority of sweatshops would be in China and thus Southeast Asia.

The only problem that I can see with your assumption is that china as pretty much IP banned the entire West (West meaning everything west of Greenwich England and East of the International Dateline, since it appears you are a bit fuzzy on your directions). So, China having blocked most of the West, this could potentially make it difficult to accest a western site such as Runescape, because the government of the country you are in is blocking that site........

Perhaps you should look into buying yourself a globe, to answer all such orienteering questions as you must be having.

pere_grin.png

1. Sweatshops aren't even concentrated in Southeast Asia. They are mostly in China.

Hmm.......I grabbed my globe, and from what it looks like on there, about 80% of China is included in Southeast Asia. And looks like about 80% of Southeast Asia is also China. This is of course assuming that Asia is roughly between 45 E and 135 E, and between 15 N and 75 N. So if you take the midpoint of there, then anything down and to the right of the intersection of 45 N and 90 E would be Southeast Asia. So it appears you are correct by default, because most of Southeast Asia is China, then it follows that a majority of sweatshops would be in China and thus Southeast Asia.

The only problem that I can see with your assumption is that china as pretty much IP banned the entire West (West meaning everything west of Greenwich England and East of the International Dateline, since it appears you are a bit fuzzy on your directions). So, China having blocked most of the West, this could potentially make it difficult to accest a western site such as Runescape, because the government of the country you are in is blocking that site........

Perhaps you should look into buying yourself a globe, to answer all such orienteering questions as you must be having.

Wow...I'm left stunned and thinking you completely flunked your Geography.

Your whole first paragraph is COMPLETE [cabbage]. Go and do some research before thinking you're so smart because you know how to look at a globe. Southeast Asia is far from your absurd definition.

China banned the entire West? China simply has tight controls over the internet, with strict censorship. That is far from "pretty much IP banned the entire West". And you still have the impudence to try and insult my Geographical knowledge when saying your geographical knowledge is fuzzy is a ridiculous understatement.

Perhaps you should stop acting all mighty and superior just because you have an overly high opinion of your globe-reading skills. Geography isn't just about reading maps, in case you lack the intellectual capacity to understand.

Wat.

*points to location*

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Wat.

*points to location*

Lol. Pwned. :P

Unless you're a very imaginative person or something. Most people don't think RS have an adventure feel past the first few months of playing, especially in F2P. Much of RS is just grinding, and not adventure.

Have you even tried high-level quests?

Not much to say.

High-level quests only allow you to get a break from the perpetual grinding for a while. And how do you even get access to those high-level quests? Grind, grind, grind and grind more.

High-level quests only allow you to get a break from the perpetual grinding for a while. And how do you even get access to those high-level quests? Grind, grind, grind and grind more.

Meh. You have a good point, but I am geeting an adventure feel from the game, even in grinding sometimes.

Not much to say.

Can we stop quoting once it gets to eight different quotes? :mrgreen:

I'd venture to say that once you've done the "necessity" (note the quotation marks) quests, such as DT, Monkey Madness, RFD, AAFR, etc. the fun massive world omg lololol bbqsauce this game is so deep and adventure filled feeling depletes somewhat.

And even then, RS is still fun and addictive anyway, so who cares? <3:

PM me for fitocracy invite

I'd venture to say that once you've done the "necessity" (note the quotation marks) quests, such as DT, Monkey Madness, RFD, AAFR, etc. the fun massive world omg lololol bbqsauce this game is so deep and adventure filled feeling depletes somewhat.

Yeah, sure.

AAFR? And why do you say it only feels like an adventure to do the necessity quests?

Not much to say.

I knew there would be a new "golden age" of rs, like I had said before. And I don't know how, but for some reason it never crossed my mind that dungeoneering could do the job. I see only one problem: the using personal skills and an adventure etc. characteristics aren't being scattered all over the Runescape map, it's just within Daemonheim. And another thing: could this be something Jagex added to the game in effort to continue what people like myself enjoyed in the older days? Could this be a response to all the rants that I have been waiting for? I mean think about it, every time you enter a dungeon you start a new adventure. You have to use various skills and even teamwork/trading to complete your adventure. Just as I said it was more fun to me when players generally would use all skills to their advantage such as mining ores and smithing them into armor. And of course I love dungeoneering as well as some of you.

I knew there would be a new "golden age" of rs, like I had said before. And I don't know how, but for some reason it never crossed my mind that dungeoneering could do the job. I see only one problem: the using personal skills and an adventure etc. characteristics aren't being scattered all over the Runescape map, it's just within Daemonheim. And another thing: could this be something Jagex added to the game in effort to continue what people like myself enjoyed in the older days? Could this be a response to all the rants that I have been waiting for? I mean think about it, every time you enter a dungeon you start a new adventure. You have to use various skills and even teamwork/trading to complete your adventure. Just as I said it was more fun to me when players generally would use all skills to their advantage such as mining ores and smithing them into armor. And of course I love dungeoneering as well as some of you.

Fianally, a complimement! Wait, does it mean this thread is closed?

La Vallett1

A.k.a. "Nostalgic Vallett"

What's been said must be done.

Tonight, while on my skiller, some moron tried to tell me I was botting because he was standing at the door to the rune shop in Varrock. I clicked on my minimap from the bank to near the shop, and looked down at my homework, I do a lot of multi-tasking. I then took occasional little steps within the game screen, I don't remember exactly what I did but it doesn't exactly matter. After I was in front of the door trying i changed my graphics to hd fullscreen, and looked back and this guy is telling me I was botting and I was reported. I kept trying to explain to him what happened, and he just wouldn't listen. So now I am sending him to this thread so he can read about how much i despise gold farmers and botters and the fact that rwt ruined Runescape. And dude, If you can't tell I am the same guy who posted the thread. look at my username ya turkey.

What you posted above proves how idiotic some people in Runescape can be.

LOL @ him thinking that, not talking = botting. How fail. :rolleyes:

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Clearly someone hasnt done WGS, Nomads, Blood runs deep, New prayer quest, etc.

A lot of the new stuff DOES bring a deep story and an exciting adventure to this game.

Now just like then there is always some childish quests, or just plain ridiculous ones but aside from them i think Jagex still does produce quality quests

I haven't done those quests and i still think some quests are deep story and exciting (mourning's ends 2 was one of my favorites).

The childish quests aren't that bad.

Not much to say.

The only thing I found in your rant is that you think runescape was waaaay better back then.

I've been playing RS since yo-yo too, and I recognize your thoughts, but if I think about it, it was back when I was a pretty new player. I got excited by travelling through Varrock etc.

I remember it as a wonderful time, better than now. But that's not because the game has become worse, it's because my thinking has changed.

I've grown almost 6 years older, I got to know the game and all locations.

Really, there are no updates that negatively influenced my gaming experience. The GE was a great addition to me, as I didn't merchant anyway. I never Pked, so I didn't mind to see that leaving.

Yes there were updates that were not my cuppa teas, but I just ignored 'em.

Back then there were botters etc. at least almost all of them are gone now.

There were just as many young, lame, annoying players back then as there are now. The only difference is that you and you're friends were part of that community in those times.

The only thing I found in your rant is that you think runescape was waaaay better back then.

I've been playing RS since yo-yo too, and I recognize your thoughts, but if I think about it, it was back when I was a pretty new player. I got excited by travelling through Varrock etc.

I remember it as a wonderful time, better than now. But that's not because the game has become worse, it's because my thinking has changed.

I've grown almost 6 years older, I got to know the game and all locations.

Really, there are no updates that negatively influenced my gaming experience. The GE was a great addition to me, as I didn't merchant anyway. I never Pked, so I didn't mind to see that leaving.

Yes there were updates that were not my cuppa teas, but I just ignored 'em.

Back then there were botters etc. at least almost all of them are gone now.

There were just as many young, lame, annoying players back then as there are now. The only difference is that you and you're friends were part of that community in those times.

Oh god...... it's the truth!

Not much to say.

Well first of all about Runescape getting easier: some perfect examples are ivy and living rock caverns. But the thing is, they came out fairly recently.

Welcome to MMOs, where leveling gets easier as the game gets older. This is an industry norm, nothing out of the ordinary here.

So now the problem is that Runescape is dive-bombing into a different dark age.

2004: Runescape is diving into a dark age.

2005: I see a dark age coming soon.

2006: Dark age coming!

2007: Dark age.

2008: There is dark age.

2009: Dark age approaching!

2010: Dark age on its way!

2011: Dark age is coming!

you get the point.

For some reason I forgot what the post specifically said or something but I remembered that Mark Gherard or however it's spelled is the new CEO which means he is the head honcho. For some reason I thought Andrew still was and Mark was still under his position. But obviously since Mod Mark became CEO that is when these weird/stupid updates started up. Let's think about what updates have happened since I last looked at this thread:

-The hp (Constitution) update

-New Skill (Dungeoneering)

Andrew hasn't been Jagex's CEO since around 2001. Then it was Constant Tedder, followed by Geoff Iddison, and now Mark Gerhard. And if you think Mark Gerhard did the stupid updates, you weren't paying attention when Geoff Iddison was in charge. Gnome Copters? Seriously? There is normal business, and then there is Iddison-style shoving members down your throat.

Constitution and Dungeoneering are a lot more supported than you would ever hope to admit, and Constitution had a lot of justification.

And besides those things I realized that Jagex wastes time coming out with stupid updates. Now I have been watching all of NightmareRH's videos, and he is certainly intelligent and I agree with most of his opinions. I noticed that with updates such as a new cursor, new hair cuts, weapon animations, the homepage, the forums (though I don't really know if I like or dislike it) etc. Jagex was just wasting time that could have been put into other important updates.

You would be amazed to see just how much of an effect small aesthetic updates have on the community. As for time, stuff that you mentioned may take a couple days for a small team to put together, and do not have a noticable effect on the rest of Jagex's projects. Nothing was delayed because Jagex wanted to make more cursors. Also: The homepage and forums are worked on by a website team, separate from the content team. Again, nothing was delayed so the forums could get an upgrade.

But anyway, the HP update didn't cause any real harm to Runescape other than us players having to get used to it. Because in the core combat system you are still hitting the same numbers they are just displayed more accurately now. But what does this mean to me? It looks like other games. The way Jagex updates the homepage to make them so flashy, that shows they are focused on making RS look like the average game. Dungeoneering is somewhat original, but the whole concept of dungeons in an MMO obviously isn't! I personally enjoy dungeoneering so I don't mind either way. But we can all see that Runescape is looking like other games now. But that isn't the problem itself, it's that Runescape is not supposed to be like other games. That was part of the reason I like(d) it was for the originality.

Jagex is trying to insert themselves into the market, but not for the reasons people think. Runescape is still unique in many aspects, including its charm, and a lot of these updates are just issues that have existed for years that no one thought to mention.

Another thing I've been thinking about is the new instant demo and the way the benefits/disadvantages of members/free are displayed. This shows to me that Jagex might need money. And of course you are thinking they make so much money off their subscribers, but running all the servers and what not is far more expensive than we (or at least I =P) can even imagine. So rumors/or just thoughts have been spreading that Jagex might close down Runescape. Now some people say this is because they see Stellar Dawn (formerly known as Mechscape) as a replacement of RS. And another theory is that the strange/ridiculous updates are just a warning of what is coming to us (weather it happens after or before Stellar Dawn).

Take a look at this financial report from Jagex in the fiscal year ending March 2009:

0809-jagex_financial_overview.png

They are not strapped for cash. Nowhere near it. Yes, that is official.

One last little rumor is that Jagex mods were discussing selling RS to Blizzard or Microsoft. Supposedly a forum thread was accidentally not locked for a short time and some people caught it. This wouldn't be a surprise as Mod Andrew only said Runescape had years to come, not that Runescape will always be controlled by Jagex. And it seems most major (not sure what to call it, companies, programs, etc.) rarely stay with the same owners forever. And even if Jagex is still making money off of Runescape, they still could feel that enough accomplishments were made. And maybe selling RS would just be a quick move to avoid losing money. In other words Jagex sees they messed up and players are quitting so they get it off their shoulders. Now if Blizzard ran Runescape it would probably be awesome, just not original. But then again it might still be more enjoyable than it is at the moment. WoW is a great game after all, and Blizzard could probably adapt to Runescape and still keep some of its Runescape-ness.

I'll refer you to the financial report. No company is going to sell off when they are boasting higher record profits every year.

And we all know how rumors are in the Runescape Community, just remember "Sailing-the new skill". So these are still just ideas. But overall, I've focused my attention on this current mess rather then what this thread was about. But maybe Stellar Dawn will have it's own "good ol' days". I'm looking forward to it, I hope it's good.

Most rumors skirt around the legal definition of slander, it would be in your best interest not to forward them until you have more information as to your presented subject.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

2004 is now classed as old school? ... ... ...... :-/ *zzzz*

Game didn't change much, the community got bigger, back in the days of 01-04 ect, most people knew most people type of thing, there was a 'community' feel about the game. The game these days is ok, an had to change, alot of people woulnd't like the amount of hours to lvl like it took back then, so things had to speed up an change, if it didn't runescape would of died, be happy they re-opened the RSC servers to the public every 6 monthes, play on that. =)

Trade limit/pk/dueling all fav past times, they changed, its ok. Memroies of great days is enough.

(Bring back duel anywhere please) I used to love dueling people around the place an be like 'serp, fight for spot' was great ..

Still a good game I spose though. =)

~ K O N K A R ~ Konkar Jr ~ X Konkar X
99 Strength - 18/12/08 - 99 Attack - 5/2/09
99 Hp - 20/7/09 - 99 Defence 26/7/09
K_O_N_K_A_R.png

R.I.P.
K R I S K
Krisk Jr
RSC, Lives on in all of us