Focus Sight drop rate and Desert Strykewyrm setup

skylor12344

i know the new slayer monsters arent out yet but i have a task of 148 of them and i was wondering if i have a chance to get one from this task?

I also need a setup for these as this is my first task for the desert strykewyrms and i know ill need some sort of watersource.

From what I noticed just take a bunyip and ee/sgs for specs and you won't have to worry about health. They drop full waterskins every once in a while so pic those up and just go in normal melee slayer gear. They have very good stackable drops along with alchables, so take alch runes or a lumb ring along. I don't take skins to make room for drops, because they are not realy necessary in my opinion.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Usual melee setup. I use:

Slayer helm,

Torag plate body and legs,

Fury,

Barrow Gloves,

D Boots,

Whip + Defender if training attack, SS if Str.

Defence Cape.

You'll cut through them pretty easily tbf.

Can't see your stats atm as I think my lappy is messing up; but, take 2/3 yips. 2 Pure sets (don't worry about sup def, they drop plenty of them), some food, teleport, maybe 4 or so waterskins.

Using that I can get through about 150 of them.

The only real damage I take is from the desert should I decide I cba with getting the waterskins (this is where the monks come in), but they drop them enough.

Gl with a focus sight.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

when I get Desert Strykes, I wear

Slayer helm

Fury

Bandos Plate

Desert Skirt

Desert Boots

Whip

DragonFire shield

Barrows Gloves

I take

Alch Runes

Enh Excalibur

Bunyip

Slayer ring

1 WaterSkin

Knife.

These guys are weak, except for their 30 hit, which is easy to avoid. So even with desert skirt and boots, a bunyip more than keeps up. There's also a lot of cactus around that you can cut for water. Desert Strykes also drop waterkins fairly often, so you could always pick up those instead of running to cacti.

As for the focus sight, in 3 tasks of about 130 each, I've gotten 2

My friend has gotten 3 in 2 tasks.

I'd guess maybe around 1/75-1/100. No idea though, since I haven't killed many.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Slayer helm

Fury

Bandos Plate

Desert Skirt

Desert Boots

Whip

DragonFire shield

Barrows Gloves

I take

Alch Runes

Enh Excalibur

Bunyip

Slayer ring

1 WaterSkin

Knife.

These guys are weak, except for their 30 hit, which is easy to avoid. So even with desert skirt and boots, a bunyip more than keeps up. There's also a lot of cactus around that you can cut for water. Desert Strykes also drop waterkins fairly often, so you could always pick up those instead of running to cacti.

That's such an awful setup I don't even know where to begin. But I do have to begin somewhere so let's go..

Desert Boots - Are you serious..

Desert Skirt - See above

DragonFire Shield - Should be using a defender. Hell you should be using a defender on almost every slayer task. The poor hits of the slayer monsters in general does not warrant the extra defence and a strength bonus which is nearly negligible.

Knife - Waste of time seeing as how they drop waterskins and even then a bunyip would provide enough healing provided you don't suck

Everything else seems fine.. or so it would seem. Only personal changes for me would be a Unicorn instead of a bunyip.

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

Don't use an enchanted water tiara for slayer!

EVER!

Regular slayer gear will cut it. Bunyip to heal, though I took 20 tunas (didn't care to make /buy more pouches). EE works wonders.

Either take a few waterskins, or 1 + a knife.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

You don't need waterskins, enchanted water tiara, or any of that kind of stuff. Just bring regular gear with EE/SGS and Bunyip (this is overheal you if you ignore desert heat). You can easily survive the desert heat from the common drop of 2 Waterskins (4). If you want to bring 2 Waterskins (4) to start out with, thats fine, but you will never need humidify and you will never need a knife, and you definitely don't want an Enchanted Water Tiara, since you couldn't wear your slayer helm then.

You don't need waterskins, enchanted water tiara, or any of that kind of stuff. Just bring regular gear with EE/SGS and Bunyip (this is overheal you if you ignore desert heat). You can easily survive the desert heat from the common drop of 2 Waterskins (4). If you want to bring 2 Waterskins (4) to start out with, thats fine, but you will never need humidify and you will never need a knife, and you definitely don't want an Enchanted Water Tiara, since you couldn't wear your slayer helm then.

I think this is right on.

Also, I got two focus sights out of two similarly-sized tasks last weekend, but I think I had three dry tasks of them before that. That's only a small sample, though, and I was probably lucky. I would guess it's comparable to the Abyssal whip drop rate.

"All that is gold does not glitter..."

Slayer helm

Fury

Bandos Plate

Desert Skirt

Desert Boots

Whip

DragonFire shield

Barrows Gloves

I take

Alch Runes

Enh Excalibur

Bunyip

Slayer ring

1 WaterSkin

Knife.

That's such an awful setup I don't even know where to begin. But I do have to begin somewhere so let's go..

Desert Boots - Are you serious..

Desert Skirt - See above

DragonFire Shield - Should be using a defender. Hell you should be using a defender on almost every slayer task. The poor hits of the slayer monsters in general does not warrant the extra defence and a strength bonus which is nearly negligible.

Knife - Waste of time seeing as how they drop waterskins and even then a bunyip would provide enough healing provided you don't suck

Everything else seems fine.. or so it would seem. Only personal changes for me would be a Unicorn instead of a bunyip.

The desert boots and skirt are to make it so I use water less, it's just more of a convenience factor, it's not like I'm loosing anything, unless you count loosing 1 dammage from my max hit loosing something.

The DFS is to make up for the defence lost from the legs and boots, and strykes are so weak that the added accuracy from a defender really doesn't make all the much difference. I Do use defender on almost every other task.

Knife is not a waste of time as relying on Waterskins drops all the time isn't a smart thing to do, I learned that my first trip.

The stuff i wear is based off results from my first two tasks of them, I used to wear D boots and Tassets, didn't bother with a knife. Yea, I ended up leaveing every 25 kills because the desert heat kept htting me.

I was at full hp the whole time wearing this stuff, and I only had to leave because my inventory got full. Don't bash down on me just because it's a different looking setup.

Also, a Unicorn is a waste of money if a bunyip is able to keep up.

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

The desert boots and skirt are to make it so I use water less, it's just more of a convenience factor, it's not like I'm loosing anything, unless you count loosing 1 dammage from my max hit loosing something.

The DFS is to make up for the defence lost from the legs and boots, and strykes are so weak that the added accuracy from a defender really doesn't make all the much difference. I Do use defender on almost every other task.

Knife is not a waste of time as relying on Waterskins drops all the time isn't a smart thing to do, I learned that my first trip.

The stuff i wear is based off results from my first two tasks of them, I used to wear D boots and Tassets, didn't bother with a knife. Yea, I ended up leaveing every 25 kills because the desert heat kept htting me.

I was at full hp the whole time wearing this stuff, and I only had to leave because my inventory got full. Don't bash down on me just because it's a different looking setup.

Also, a Unicorn is a waste of money if a bunyip is able to keep up.

A couple of points:

- Unicorns are NOT a waste of money, they're quite cheap for the tremendous and convenient healing they provide. In a task like wyrms which yield tremendous profit, 10-20k costs in healing is going to be the least of your worries when it optimizes your kill rate and overall exp/hour. It's not worrying about the desert effect and the max hits of the wyrms per se, rather than the lucky hits they can get on you with their 30 damage special attack. Bunyips are able to keep up in circumstances in which you are able to avoid all these attacks, but that is in an ideal situation

- Going back to the Bunyip/Unicorn, obviously the Bunyip isn't able to keep up if you're using a DFS (see proselyte comment below). Either that or you're blowing up how much damage the wyrms deal (they honestly hit very low, very inaccurately)

- Yes, the accuracy bonus is MUCH better than the DFS. You lose far more defence, slash accuracy AND strength bonus by using your mentioned Desert/Armour hybrid combo (which by the way is an awful idea)

- If you were leaving every 25 kills, you were either doing it wrong, or you're grossly over estimating how much damage the desert effect actually does. I kill them in proselyte, a rune defender and picked up water skins appropriately when needed (didn't have to bring a single water skin with me prior to the task) and did not come close to having low HP at any time of the task

I'm not bashing you, I'm simply helping OP choose which method would make the wyrm experience go smoothly as possible. I commend you for trying out a new style of killing them, but simply put it's not the most efficient and I just saw several flaws which I wanted to sift through. :mrgreen:

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

You CAN rely on the waterskin drops. Sometimes, yes, you will get hit by heat, but it's nothing your bunyip and EE can't fix, not to mention the wyrms drop food...

A couple of points:

- Unicorns are NOT a waste of money, they're quite cheap for the tremendous and convenient healing they provide. In a task like wyrms which yield tremendous profit, 10-20k costs in healing is going to be the least of your worries when it optimizes your kill rate and overall exp/hour. It's not worrying about the desert effect and the max hits of the wyrms per se, rather than the lucky hits they can get on you with their 30 damage special attack. Bunyips are able to keep up in circumstances in which you are able to avoid all these attacks, but that is in an ideal situation

- Going back to the Bunyip/Unicorn, obviously the Bunyip isn't able to keep up if you're using a DFS (see proselyte comment below). Either that or you're blowing up how much damage the wyrms deal (they honestly hit very low, very inaccurately)

- Yes, the accuracy bonus is MUCH better than the DFS. You lose far more defence, slash accuracy AND strength bonus by using your mentioned Desert/Armour hybrid combo (which by the way is an awful idea)

- If you were leaving every 25 kills, you were either doing it wrong, or you're grossly over estimating how much damage the desert effect actually does. I kill them in proselyte, a rune defender and picked up water skins appropriately when needed (didn't have to bring a single water skin with me prior to the task) and did not come close to having low HP at any time of the task

I'm not bashing you, I'm simply helping OP choose which method would make the wyrm experience go smoothly as possible. I commend you for trying out a new style of killing them, but simply put it's not the most efficient and I just saw several flaws which I wanted to sift through. :mrgreen:

Using a Unicorns isn't a "waste", but it's less efficient in the case of monster like Strykes, since they hit so low and inaccurately, a unicorn is overkill, it would be more efficient to use a 2.5k bunyip for your task, then a to use a 3k unicorn + 250gp scrolls for your task.

And I know rune defender is more accuracy, but strykes have such a low defence, it didn't really seem to make much difference when I used it. I'm not over exagerating either about 25 kills. Either strykes hate me and don't wanna drop me water skins, or maybed your White armour fends of the heat better, idk, I wasn't exagerating.

Wearing full Bandos, the desert heat hit way to often for my Bunyip+EE to keep up, wearing a desert bottom and boots, I was at full Hp nearly the whole time. The ONLY thing I lost accuracy on is the defender > DFS, the legs and boots make very little difference, as hitting 1 higher doesn't speed up the task that much.

and this is your idea of sifting through flaws?

" That's such an awful setup I don't even know where to begin."

Try being "constructive" in a less assertive way.

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

I use bunyip + humidify to refill my waterskins, and I can easily do my whole tasks in one trip.

I brought my EE and a couple monks just in case I wasn't paying attention and got hit by the special too many times.

Honestly since most of their drops are noted, inventory space wasn't a big deal for me at all during this task. Bringing waterskins & humidify runes didn't affect me at all.

norriie.png

[Click for my blog]

[hide=Drops & Achievements]

Hunter_cape_(t).gif 99 Hunter: 4/30/09 Cooking_cape_(t).gif 99 Cooking: 6/2/2009 Attack_cape_(t).gif 99 Attack: 6/9/10

Dragon Legs x2 | Dragon Skirt x2 | Dragon Med x3 | Dragon Boots x13 | Dragon Shield Left Half x1

Abyssal Whip x2 | Granite Maul x8 | Granite Helm x2 | Granite Legs x1

[/hide]

Mod Emilee said in a FAQ the drop rate IS the same drop rate as an abyssal whip

Do you have that in a quote or a link? I remember reading they said that a SoL was the same as a whip, but don't recall anything else.

[hide=Drops]Slayer:Draconic Visage x3, Abyssal Whip x23, Dark Bow x3, Dragon Platelegs x3, Dragon Boots x40, Dragon Plateskirt x4, Shield Left Half x3, Dragon Medium Helms x10

GWD:

CS: Zamorakian Spear x2, Zamorak Hilt x1, Bandos Chestplate x1, Sara Sword x1

DKs: Dragon Hatchet x3 Beserker Ring x1[/hide]

[hide=Completed Goals]99Attack.pngAchieved April 26, 200999Defence.pngAchieved Sept. 15, 200999Hitpoints.pngAchieved Nov. 21, 200999Strength.png Jan. 10, 2010

99Slayer.png Achieved Mar. 5, 2010[/hide]

[hide=Goals]c1dfeeb1d3.pngCptBaker.pngCptBaker.png[/hide]

Having just finished my first desert wyrms task, I can verify that waterskins, enchanted tiaras, lunar spells, and knives are all totally unnecessary. I'm using a bunyip + EE with no problem.

As for the rune defender argument, it's a totally moot point. Everyone (read: people who are good at Runescape) knows a rune defender is the best shield for slayer. Period. Except for wyverns.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.