People playing Runescape, but not enjoying it

PuppyKing

While I do agree with you to an extent, sometimes people need to raise a level they don't like in order to achieve something that they really want to achieve (to get a quest requirement, to max out, etc.).

Skill grinding is the worst part of rs. I hate the fact that I no longer have any quests until I do more grinding.

The game used to be played in a more casual way. Now you can find tons of guides that will tell you how to be an effective player.

I see disrespect thrown both ways because more people now are trying to grind their levels and complete quests faster than they did before. You have to note, that the majority of users are males ages 13-24, and they are often immature and brash. I've met a few players who were well into their 30s and 40s who were courteous and nice. But that group of people is shrinking.

In the end, the Ignore option is very handy. I've met people who had their Ignore lists full, and to see Runescape today, it's not hard to see why.

Skill Capes, a new Generation, and competitive skiller mini-games is the cause of why more people today are grinding rather than appreciating how far Runescape has come.

I'm 14. I try to be nice.

And the "effective player" schtick is totally pointless. I'm probably the worst pvper you will ever meet (cl 85 and no combat skill above 65)

Ummmmmm.....................

Not much to say.

If you want to find me in Runescape, my name is not applyapple. It is vetoscadiva.

Complain as you like about Jagex, but think about what they've done. How many MMORPG designers go around to creating as complex an in-game world as Jagex? They do need to get around to making a equipable knife, though.

With everyone's complaining about updates, it's amzing that there isn't a forum topic on the fact that the chat box says "You can't reach that" (as opposed to "I can't reach that!").

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel it kind of unnecessary to rant about the way people choose to play the game. It literally has no effect on you whatsoever, no reason to worry about them.

I do hate the people that look down at you because you don't grind the same amount of time as they do, taking enjoyment out of other people's inability at anything is just stupid. Likewise, when someone who play less than you thinks they are superior, that kinda irks me too. People have to learn to play their own game, live their own life, etc.

If you played runescape expecting to enjoy every second of it then no one would have 99 agility, think about it. it's a relatively slow skill that can't be afked and has no monetary reward and the last useful thing to come from the level is the agility armor and shortcuts that cutoff at like 90.

I have 99 agility, I enjoyed very little of my time training it but I love the fact that I have set my mind on a goal and accomplished it. that I managed to get 99 in a skill that most people cant' tolerate past level 70. i've played since 2001 so i am clearly not from the "new generation" and I can tell you from personal experience that the efficiency/grind mentality has been around since the beginning. Most people played casually and somewhat "noobish" until they found a community like tif for instance. I've been apart of tif since early 02 when it was still scapeboards and that is how i learned to be a more efficient player and because of that I enjoy my playing time much more now. You have to grind to be rewarded with the more fun aspects of runescape these days. I'm currently grinding out 95 prayer for turmoil, is it fun no. But will it be worth it? Yes.

pandapk2.jpg

If you played runescape expecting to enjoy every second of it then no one would have 99 agility, think about it. it's a relatively slow skill that can't be afked and has no monetary reward and the last useful thing to come from the level is the agility armor and shortcuts that cutoff at like 90.

I have 99 agility, I enjoyed very little of my time training it but I love the fact that I have set my mind on a goal and accomplished it. that I managed to get 99 in a skill that most people cant' tolerate past level 70. i've played since 2001 so i am clearly not from the "new generation" and I can tell you from personal experience that the efficiency/grind mentality has been around since the beginning. Most people played casually and somewhat "noobish" until they found a community like tif for instance. I've been apart of tif since early 02 when it was still scapeboards and that is how i learned to be a more efficient player and because of that I enjoy my playing time much more now. You have to grind to be rewarded with the more fun aspects of runescape these days. I'm currently grinding out 95 prayer for turmoil, is it fun no. But will it be worth it? Yes.

I like agility.........

But what are these "more fun aspects of runescape?"

Not much to say.

If you want to find me in Runescape, my name is not applyapple. It is vetoscadiva.

Complain as you like about Jagex, but think about what they've done. How many MMORPG designers go around to creating as complex an in-game world as Jagex? They do need to get around to making a equipable knife, though.

With everyone's complaining about updates, it's amzing that there isn't a forum topic on the fact that the chat box says "You can't reach that" (as opposed to "I can't reach that!").

While I do agree with you to an extent, sometimes people need to raise a level they don't like in order to achieve something that they really want to achieve (to get a quest requirement, to max out, etc.).

I agree with this too, although getting something particularly major like maxed out total level, or max cash doesn't constitute the end of the bargain IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the case for most mmos, they essentially become a massive 'to-do' list for your character and you keep setting new goals after you achieve what you wanted. Thats why a lot of the high end players get bored quickly and demand new content., they don't want to feel like they wasted so much time over the years playing the game by just quitting.

Well you have to be like us to understand that, and why we do it we do like the feeling of accomplishment like me and my friend play xbox and all we pretty much do is go for achievements if i try to play just for playing i think its pointless like what am i doing. Ether way you do it your wasting time. But RS is different for me I get bored so i do go have fun at CW and different games :grin:

Well you have to be like us to understand that, and why we do it we do like the feeling of accomplishment like me and my friend play xbox and all we pretty much do is go for achievements if i try to play just for playing i think its pointless like what am i doing. Ether way you do it your wasting time. But RS is different for me I get bored so i do go have fun at CW and different games :grin:

Try alternative moneymaking.

Not much to say.

The reason so many players play the game to achieve 99s is because Jagex is done a horrible job. Players get 99s in skills they don't like because it will later have a advantage.

Example:

Player who likes the class as a Warrior has to do Farming or a other skill in order to get the benefits related to the Warrior class. Example Enchanced Excalibur - Seers Diary.

So if you look at it, Jagex is doing a HORRIBLE job. It leads players grinding as hell so that they can get future rewards. They should have raised the combat cap, but they didn't.

The reason so many players play the game to achieve 99s is because Jagex is done a horrible job. Players get 99s in skills they don't like because it will later have a advantage.

Example:

Player who likes the class as a Warrior has to do Farming or a other skill in order to get the benefits related to the Warrior class. Example Enchanced Excalibur - Seers Diary.

So if you look at it, Jagex is doing a HORRIBLE job. It leads players grinding as hell so that they can get future rewards. They should have raised the combat cap, but they didn't.

So you can't be an effective pure........

Have you ever thought that Jagex wanted you to be versatile???

Not much to say.

This is true, but it works in three different ways.

1) I could sit back and grind levels and feel like I had no fun. This isn't the right approach, after all - I'm playing RuneScape to have fun.

2) I could not grind the levels and feel like I'm not having enough fun. This isn't the right approach either - to play the more interesting content of RS, you've got to be at a certain level.

3) I could level at my leisure and not treat it as a giant grind, taking breaks/stopping altogether when I felt like it was a chore. This is my personal choice, and it might not be the best for everyone, but if I ever feel that RS is becoming too much of a chore, it's probably time for me to shampoo the carpets/wash the car/etc.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

This is true, but it works in three different ways.

1) I could sit back and grind levels and feel like I had no fun. This isn't the right approach, after all - I'm playing RuneScape to have fun.

2) I could not grind the levels and feel like I'm not having enough fun. This isn't the right approach either - to play the more interesting content of RS, you've got to be at a certain level.

3) I could level at my leisure and not treat it as a giant grind, taking breaks/stopping altogether when I felt like it was a chore. This is my personal choice, and it might not be the best for everyone, but if I ever feel that RS is becoming too much of a chore, it's probably time for me to shampoo the carpets/wash the car/etc.

That's pretty much how I do it. It's also nice if you can find a way to level without pure grinding.

Not much to say.

If you know me, I don't train effectively other than when I really need a few quick levels. I just recently got 53 thieving from 44 for DT, and I thoroughly enjoyed it via Sorc. Gard. I took at least 3 breaks in between, which cut down efficiency a lot, but eliminated the chore aspect.

I'm actually going for DT to go to Cwars and pwn. Not to camp burst rock lobs and grind 99 mage - i'm grinding now to have a lot of fun in the future.

RS is about the journey usually, as are most MMORPGS, RPGS, FPS with levels, etc. I watch the levels go by and have some fun with my training, taking a bunch of breaks to go play something fun which gives only a small amount of XP or even none.

RS is also a chance to escape real life and be the hero for once. And helping other players out and getting even just a "ty" in return feels so good. In these forums, I bash people, especially noobs, but in game I am very courteous. I'm also thirteen, proving that younger players can still have amassed much knowledge and be productive, kind players.

Plus, the sense of accomplishment is immense and it comes up often. Every level feels like an accomplishment to me with my playing style, which is the best possible thing I can do IMO.

If you read all of that, thank you in advance. :^_^:

PM me for fitocracy invite

If you know me, I don't train effectively other than when I really need a few quick levels. I just recently got 53 thieving from 44 for DT, and I thoroughly enjoyed it via Sorc. Gard. I took at least 3 breaks in between, which cut down efficiency a lot, but eliminated the chore aspect.

I'm actually going for DT to go to Cwars and pwn. Not to camp burst rock lobs and grind 99 mage - i'm grinding now to have a lot of fun in the future.

RS is about the journey usually, as are most MMORPGS, RPGS, FPS with levels, etc. I watch the levels go by and have some fun with my training, taking a bunch of breaks to go play something fun which gives only a small amount of XP or even none.

RS is also a chance to escape real life and be the hero for once. And helping other players out and getting even just a "ty" in return feels so good. In these forums, I bash people, especially noobs, but in game I am very courteous. I'm also thirteen, proving that younger players can still have amassed much knowledge and be productive, kind players.

Plus, the sense of accomplishment is immense and it comes up often. Every level feels like an accomplishment to me with my playing style, which is the best possible thing I can do IMO.

If you read all of that, thank you in advance. :^_^:

How long have you played RS?

Sorry to shatter your dream, but ancients costs more than it's worth.

Nice to find someone else without a grind mentality.

Not much to say.

I know :3 but it's still fun in non item loss PVP minigames.

I started playing maybe....since 2005? 2004? I was fairly leveled by the time Construction was introduced...I'm not totally sure. But I played for a while, then stopped for a long time, then got back into it and got scammed for a rune scim the first day, stopped for a long time, started again, stopped, and just a week or two ago I started playing again.

I know :3 but it's still fun in non item loss PVP minigames.

I started playing maybe....since 2005? 2004? I was fairly leveled by the time Construction was introduced...I'm not totally sure. But I played for a while, then stopped for a long time, then got back into it and got scammed for a rune scim the first day, stopped for a long time, started again, stopped, and just a week or two ago I started playing again.

You have a point there, if you're talking about ancients.

I prefer it in total non iitem loss (FoG, SC, etc.)

Not much to say.

I love FoG, even when I'm not trying hard it's still a lot of fun. IMO, Jagex did everything right with it other than screwing the level match system :lol:

FoG isn't about the rewards..............

It's about finding and murdering another helpless player!!!!!!!

Not much to say.

I love FoG, even when I'm not trying hard it's still a lot of fun. IMO, Jagex did everything right with it other than screwing the level match system :lol:

I know, I play it that way :wink:

But when I win, I spend the tokens on Dragon Gaunts and then have Reggie uncharge them and sell them on the GE for a good high profit from FoG :^_^:

I know, I play it that way :wink:

But when I win, I spend the tokens on Dragon Gaunts and then have Reggie uncharge them and sell them on the GE for a good high profit from FoG :^_^:

Who's reggie?

Not much to say.

He's the guy near the counter. The tokens you earn, you know? You can trade them to Reggie for berserker shields, gauntlets, RC/fishing/herblore gloves, or combat robes. You can also uncharge anything by talking to him and asking him to do so. Uncharged drag gaunts go for something like 230k on the GE :smile:

Edit: The drag gaunts are 300 tokens, and I suggest you check out the tip it guide to FoG.

He's the guy near the counter. The tokens you earn, you know? You can trade them to Reggie for berserker shields, gauntlets, RC/fishing/herblore gloves, or combat robes. You can also uncharge anything by talking to him and asking him to do so. Uncharged drag gaunts go for something like 230k on the GE :smile:

Edit: The drag gaunts are 300 tokens, and I suggest you check out the tip it guide to FoG.

Its also probably a good idea to save up tokens for battle robe pieces (specifically the robe-bottom, which costs 1000 tokens), the price has gone up 666% in half a year. Thats because the street price is like 15mil due to the sheer money-saving power of a full-set combined with a staff of light (plus with the update to recharge costs, real easy to fix up when they degrade).

Its also probably a good idea to save up tokens for battle robe pieces (specifically the robe-bottom, which costs 1000 tokens), the price has gone up 666% in half a year. Thats because the street price is like 15mil due to the sheer money-saving power of a full-set combined with a staff of light (plus with the update to recharge costs, real easy to fix up when they degrade).

rotflol. 666%.

It seems like long time to lots of money vs. short time with quicker money to me.

Not much to say.

Actually, the most token efficient item to buy is adamant berserker shields, but no one buys them so rune gaunts are next best and F2Pers buy them all the time. Battle robes are actually not very token efficient.

(token efficient = high gp gained per token)