My Graphics Card Sucks.

champion

So I bought this computer a little less than a year ago from Best Buy. The main reason my family got it for me is because it was cheap. Now that I've been playing more and more games with it, I've come to realize my graphics card is a piece of [cabbage]. I have to run low-requirement games on the lowest settings, and the playing is often choppy (I know that this isn't my internet's fault). In one particular online FPS game I play, other players get 200+ FPS while I literally get anywhere from 10 - 30. Don't even think about playing with Fraps on.

So I need to get a new graphics card, but I'm pretty much a complete newb when it comes to installing computer hardware and stuff like that. I know you can buy a graphics card online or in Best Buy, but that's where my knowledge ends. I don't know how to install one, if I need a new PSU, or what the [bleep] a PSU even is.

Here are my current specs:

2e24j00.png

un6sx.png

All I want is to be able to play semi-recent games (~5 years or less) so they don't look hideous or lag like hell. According to Google, this card was outdated like 3 years ago.

So here's where you come in. What new graphics card should I get? How do I install it? What else do I need to do to make it work? Again, I'm not looking for a top-of-the-line gaming PC, just something that makes the games bearable. My budget isn't very big, but I don't really have any set limit. Thanks in advance!

I believe that nForce means it is integrated, so it's a chip. in which case, You'll probably want to look at an Nvidia 9600GT/9800GT, as these cards both have good performance for the price. I'm not sure about ATi cards though, so I assume someone will be able to give you some advice.

Just out of curiosity, what slots do you still have open inside the PC's case? How many Old PCI, AGP, and/or PCI-Express? :huh:

~D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

The power supply is what feeds your components electricity.

A decent 400w psu will go for around 40-50$ (you don't need a 850w psu as some believe). Of course depending on what card you'd choose.

What performance you want depends on your budget. You can get a 4670 (9600gso equal) - i own one myself (a bit oc fyi), able to play for example AC2 on highest settings (1440x900) without fuss - for about 60-70$, 4850 100$ (9800gtx/250gts (and you can trace it back to the 8800gts lol), 5770 - 150$ (GTX260 equal) (haven't checked Nvidias latest cards yet for DX11 so can't say much about them)).

Check reviews for performances.

Could you download gpu-z and see what pci-e it says, google searching gave me some pci-e x1 and some pci-e x16 mobos...

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Right. Looking into that graphics processor, you're running off integrated graphics, which means you don't actually have a graphics card in there and it's no wonder that it's useless for games. This is a bit of an assumption, but Nvidia says that nForce 430 motherboards have a PCI-express x16 slot. This is good news, you can look into the modern cards that will get you what you want.

There's loads of options for cards, but the easiest way to narrow them down is this: How much would you spend on this?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Could you download gpu-z and see what pci-e it says, google searching gave me some pci-e x1 and some pci-e x16 mobos...

vqsj7a.png

Hopefully that answers your question.

@D.V., I have no idea.

---

From what I understand, I have an integrated graphics chip currently that works for basic everyday visual stuff, right? And there should be an extra slot in my computer that would support a graphics card that would help me enhance graphics performance? I think I get the gist of what you guys are saying. :-P

@will_holmes, not terribly much really, somewhere around $100 (USD) I guess. If that isn't enough then I might just wait a while until I get some more cash.

Just out of curiosity, what slots do you still have open inside the PC's case? How many Old PCI, AGP, and/or PCI-Express? :huh:

~D. V. Devnull

His computer isn't super old, it's a one year old computer. Even my 4 year old computer has a pci-e x16, although I have built a new computer since.

You'd have to open your case (just take the side panel off) and check what it says on the PSU. You could, I guess, check the model number on the manufactures website and see if it tells you what the PSU is rated at. Easier to just open the side panel though. However, you also have to check what power connectors you have. Some graphics cards need separate power from the PSU. If I remember right, the ATI 5670 is a fairly cheap card and offers decent performance, and I don't think it needs an 6pin adapter from the PSU, so it'd basically plug and play (after installing the drivers, of course). It's also small too so it shouldn't be a problem fitting it into a small, but normal case. I say normal because prebuilts from the likes of Dell/HP can have very strange cases.

(15:14:25) <Vidi> Peter likes barbie xD

(15:14:30) <Peter> totally

(15:14:46) <Peter> I've got all the accessories

Alright, I've been studying up more, and I think I understand how it works quite a bit more than I did before. While looking for Youtube videos I stumbled upon this video, where this guy is installing a card in the same computer I happen to have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGxe7zK-f1U

(Yeah, the quality's pretty bad.)

But would everything from 3:51 and on in the video even be necessary? :huh: Meh I won't worry about that now.

---

I've been looking at the nVidia9500GT as my most likely option. Good price, and the performance is fine for me. But what would be the difference between these 2 models?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130378&cm_re=nvidia_9500gt-_-14-130-378-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130395&cm_re=nvidia_9500gt-_-14-130-395-_-Product

The pricier one is 1GB, the other is 512 MB. Would that make any difference for me?

And I still have to figure out my PSU, I'm not finding any consistent answers on the web.

Crap quality.

After installing the utility program+driver you need to restart the computer, going into the BIOS is not needed unless it's something specific.

For the same price you can get a 9600GSO or HD4670, both of which outperform 9500gt by a great great margin.

Getting 1gb on a card like 9500gt is useless. To utilize 1gb memory you'll need a much faster graphics card.

You find out your psu by opening the side of the case and check what the label on the psu says.

But your info from gpu-z says pci bus and not pci-e. I'm sorry, it's in the middle in the night and i've followed the UK election all night lol... I don't know if it says pci bus because of your current chip... I can't remember - maybe someone can clarify it. I'm gonna sleep now lol.

The 9500GT isn't a gaming card, i'd go with OldJoe's recommendation.

Alright, the 9600 GSO looks nice and is in my price range. I just need to figure out if it'll work with my computer. All the card's specs are here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9600_gso_us.html , and all my computer's specs are in the first post, so if anyone notices something, it'd be nice if you could point it out. :thumbup:

It says the minimum recommended power is 400W, which I doubt I have (although I have yet to officially check). Would I really need that much? I know PSUs seem relatively cheap, but I don't want to go out and buy a new one and install that if I don't actually need to.

And it also says I need a 6-Pin supplementary power connector, would that be in my computer already? If I have to get another thing, then I'm leaning towards just getting a less-powerful card.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Alright, the 9600 GSO looks nice and is in my price range. I just need to figure out if it'll work with my computer. All the card's specs are here: http://www.nvidia.co...600_gso_us.html , and all my computer's specs are in the first post, so if anyone notices something, it'd be nice if you could point it out. :thumbup:

It says the minimum recommended power is 400W, which I doubt I have (although I have yet to officially check). Would I really need that much? I know PSUs seem relatively cheap, but I don't want to go out and buy a new one and install that if I don't actually need to.

And it also says I need a 6-Pin supplementary power connector, would that be in my computer already? If I have to get another thing, then I'm leaning towards just getting a less-powerful card.

Thanks for the help, guys.

I'd just buy the PSU and get it over with if you don't have one already. A decent PSU (400W and above) is the most versatile component of a computer, and it's almost guaranteed to have the 6-pin connector (but remember to check if you buy one!). Cheap adapters exist which would give you what you want, but I'd prefer to futureproof it.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

On the topic of PSU's, don't cheap out on it. I'm not saying you should spend hundreds on one, but aim for a brand like Antec or Cosair. The PSU is the most important part of your PC, if you cheap out on it and install a graphics card it could end badly.

Without pushing ATI too much, 4670 have the advantage of using 55w max (pci-e connector not needed).

I've already mentioned it, but once again, open your case and check what the label says and write the specs here.

Here's two suggestions otherwise: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371023