Dungeoneering

noble_aloof

Hate Dungeoneering. hate hate hate it. I was duoing with my friend, and because I have high non combat skills, I had to do EVERY single puzzle. And he still stole all the armor, and food. And so I'd get to the boss with like my gorg spear and like a kata chain. And die 3-4 times killing boss while he didn't die once. [bleep]ing pitiful.

heres a funny story. when i was level 7 dung i was HELPING my nooby friend who was level 5 dung. we were at it for seriously 45 minutes (i was doing all the work since he's horrible). we get to a room with some type of level 100+ warrior, i kill it. he runs over and spam clicks all the drops. among them, i see a gorg full helm. i say "hey could i have that helmet? its perfect for my 80 defense". he says "you wouldn't give it to me if you got it" i say "yeah thats cause your 56 defense". i say "seriously, i'm really helping you level here, could i please have it?" he says "no i binded it, im going to get 80 defense". i leave the dungeon. next day he destroys it. obviously at that time i wouldn't have binded it, but if i could bind two items i probably would have.

The thing is, you should get better friends...

Dungeoneering really shows how people are. I only duo or trio with people I trust, I've had enough bad experience from large teams with leechers, afkers and drop spammers to even bother going in with strangers.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

heres another funny experience. i was doing a 5 man dungeon but after the first one a guy decided to leave. there was me, a level 99, a level 131, 92, and 97.

so we start, i notice the 131 and i are the only ones moving. about 5 rooms in the 97 catches up saying "sorry i was afk"

he was afk for over 30 minutes collectively in the dungeon.

as we continue, the 92 starts playing for about maybe 10 minutes. we are confused because we need a door opened and we can't find the key. 10 minutes later, lo and behold the 97 comes back and says "oh sorry" and opens the door. it leads to a room with 5 guys. you would think he at least came in? nope. i had to solo the entire room. when there were 3 monsters left the 131 came in (completely naked) and hid in a corner saying "I HAVE NO PRAY!!".

so with little help from him (and even less from the 97) i continue basically soloing a 4 man dungeon.

finally i get to a level 397 lexicus runewright. "boss here" i said. magically they all come bounding over to the door. then i tell them range is the obvious way to go (im the only ranger) so the 92 and 97 go and decide to fletch bows for themselves while the big strong level 131 goes in and starts spamming "Help help help help help help". so i went in. the 131 quickly died and i once again had to solo him (took off agbout 1/5 exp before anyone came in). finally they all come in and the 92 and 97 have terrible bows, the 131 is still meleeing. together we take off about 35% of the health until they all start dieing again. this time i decided to go hide in a corner while i waited. yet, nobody came besides the 131. so he got some big hits and we got him down to a sliver when, oops, the naked 131 dies. i was out of food and prayer so i just had a dm with lexicus and as i fell over in death my last arrow hit him and he died aswell.

when i go back to home they all ask "dead? dead? dead?"

"no thanks to you" i say

the 92 quickchats "i have 4 defense"

thank you that was really helpful -.-

i tell the 131 that it wasnt smart going naked

he says he didnt need it

maybe thats why he died 4 times.

oh and the best part, the level 97 gets a t11 mage hood from the boss.

Runescape is so fair :)

Ummmmmm.....................

Not much to say.

If you want to find me in Runescape, my name is not applyapple. It is vetoscadiva.

Complain as you like about Jagex, but think about what they've done. How many MMORPG designers go around to creating as complex an in-game world as Jagex? They do need to get around to making a equipable knife, though.

With everyone's complaining about updates, it's amzing that there isn't a forum topic on the fact that the chat box says "You can't reach that" (as opposed to "I can't reach that!").

It's stories like the above why I solo dungeons, which sucks cause I'd like to try out some of the multiplayer content. I have no problem setting aside a few hours to explore a large dungeon on my own. Well, except for the annoying fact that when I white-screen while soloing, I can't get back to the dungeon I was working on. Why? Multi dungeons allow you to rejoin your party, but when soloists try to use that feature, all we get is a snarky "You want to party with yourself?" message. Uh, yea, that's why I was SOLOing that dungeon to begin with, duh? I'd like to go back to it and get my tokens, too, thank you very much. But no, I have to start over, losing however many minutes I just invested in that failed raid.

So yea, as much as I enjoy Dungeoneering, there is massive room for improvement on the solo experience. I can understand why we can't log off then return to a started dungeon (actually, no I can't. Why is that, now?) but if we're booted out due to circumstances beyond our control? Why should we lose our exp? A possible fix would be to add a timer to the solo dungeons similar to the logout timer - if you start a solo dungeon and have to logout, you should have like ten minutes to log back in and resume the dungeon. That way, if you white-screen or idle out due to lag, you at least have a chance to finish the dungeon you were working on.

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

tl;dr?

Your post should be a reportable offense... I don't care what the damn topic is about....

"Hello, regarding your topic/posts/etc. I was too damn [bleep]ing lazy to read it so I'm just posting here like a complete moron."

Sorry. Had to get that off my chest.

On topic: Jagex is actually working on a save function for solo players. Other then the (somewhat) slow exp, that's the only thing I really dislike about it; I always have to make sure when I started a dungeon that I have time to finish it. I actually did eat one mean while returning to my comp to make sure I didn't log off... Something does need to be done so that you don't get punished for having to log off mid-dungeon.

Still, I don't mind the skill. Wish it was a bit faster....really looking forward to getting the arcane stream :) Anyhow, what's wrong with a skill that isn't a grindfest?

A few thoughts...

First, "tl;dr" is a short-hand way of saying "I'm so stupid that I can't read and understand a few simple paragraphs, and so childish that I really think anyone cares about this." Trust me, they don't. If you don't read it, don't post about it either. Nobody wants to hear about your mental limitations. Really.

I think the OP makes some valid points about Dungeoneering. It really *isn't* a skill in the traditional sense -- it doesn't really have any unique abilities that you unlock that can be used to enrich the game as a whole. It's a minigame peg rammed into a skill hole, so to speak.

The partial XP issue is a big one. I can log off during nearly any other skill and lose pretty much nothing. In fact, some skills, like Farming, there's a *benefit* to logging out! Dungeoneering penalizes players who have to leave dungeons by more than it should.

You also get NO tokens on partial dungeons. Even if you kill the boss and then get disconnected before you hit the ladder -- no tokens. There is no valid justification for this.

I think Jagex is working on a solution for solo players. But the token thing should have been fixed already.

The "prestige" system is poorly named. It has nothing to do with elitism, it is just a way to force players to redo all of the floors instead of just doing floor 35 hundreds of times.

I think a longer idle timer when in dungeons is a great idea. It's not like macroing is a risk or anything.

Haaaaaaaahhhh....air runes much? Not that I condone macro'ing, but it would be the perfect thing to macro in there. But how would the idle time affect macro-ers? Not like they're idle... (P.S. I really hope they don't remove the air rune thing.)

And yeah, the name prestige makes no sense.

And yes, tokens should be awarded for partially completed dungeons.

And to the above poster, yeah, that's part of the reason I solo. It's faster (well, then dungeons don't take as long) and I don't have to worry about playing with complete morons.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

actually I was making a point about people who don't understand/choose to paraphrase, I read the entire post.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

• 2 months later...

Sorry guys, but I'm bumping this topic back up because I still find a lot of flaws with Dungeoneering. I'm doing it purely to raise my skill levels, nothing more.

A few thoughts...

First, "tl;dr" is a short-hand way of saying "I'm so stupid that I can't read and understand a few simple paragraphs, and so childish that I really think anyone cares about this." Trust me, they don't. If you don't read it, don't post about it either. Nobody wants to hear about your mental limitations. Really.

I think the OP makes some valid points about Dungeoneering. It really *isn't* a skill in the traditional sense -- it doesn't really have any unique abilities that you unlock that can be used to enrich the game as a whole. It's a minigame peg rammed into a skill hole, so to speak.

The partial XP issue is a big one. I can log off during nearly any other skill and lose pretty much nothing. In fact, some skills, like Farming, there's a *benefit* to logging out! Dungeoneering penalizes players who have to leave dungeons by more than it should.

You also get NO tokens on partial dungeons. Even if you kill the boss and then get disconnected before you hit the ladder -- no tokens. There is no valid justification for this.

I think Jagex is working on a solution for solo players. But the token thing should have been fixed already.

The "prestige" system is poorly named. It has nothing to do with elitism, it is just a way to force players to redo all of the floors instead of just doing floor 35 hundreds of times.

I think a longer idle timer when in dungeons is a great idea. It's not like macroing is a risk or anything.

It's not technically a skill. It's a 'Stealing Creation, Soul Wars' influenced mini-game that so happens to be labeled as a skill. Really, is there truly anything new or groundbreaking in Dungeoneering that we haven't seen before? No.

I've been playing for several years now and I finally got the nerve to go and try out Dungeoneering two days ago. I'm currently level 37 and I just found out that I have to reset my entire progress to lead me back to Floor 1. For the third time. Seriously Jagex, why do I have to repeat back to where I started over and over again, just because I didn't have the floor to advance to the next floor? The 'prestige' system has really hurt my overall experience and progress in the skill.

I managed to gain Dungeoneering XP even when I didn't complete it (excluding XP Lamps, token XP, and other Dungeons giving you one-time XP) when I went to exit up the ladder. I didn't beat the boss but realized that I had a few deaths. Sure, I was bailing out, but I had to do it because I would receive an even worse penalty.

My problem is not the tokens or the rewards. It's other players. I already messed up my chances to progress when I had a few teams that were incompetent and had to leave early just when things were starting to heat up. As said earlier, I can only wish that we had NPCs to help us out. I'm sorry but so many teams that train Dungeoneering just aren't worth the trouble.

Ok, so

1) What is so unique about woodcutting? Mining? Fishing? In its own, Dungeoneering is quite unique.

2) Congrats on not reading the game manual.

3) Uhhh not true, but ok. Believe that.

4) I think you sound a bit confused at this point.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

• 2 weeks later...

no. i clearly, and i stress CLEARLY stated that runescape is a grindfest/clickfest. but i also said that the way jagex has crafted it has made it a fun and enjoyable game. And no, i hope it wasn't their intention. but for the first 24 it certainly turned out that way. making the 25th skill a complete contradiction to the methodical approach to leveling up makes no sense and feels very awkward and abstract while training.

Grinding is in no way fun. I'm glad that Jagex has added many minigames to train skills in a funner way. I don't think Dungeoneering should be a skill, but it's one of the funnest things to do in Runescape. Quests and minigames are far more enjoyable than grinding skills.

I don't think you should force other people to grind by banning skilling in a dungeon, maybe it if was unanimous consent, ok.

Even then you'd need to skill at one point or another to make pots for skill doors, runes, special gear for bosses (like bows for Lexicus), etc. So where do you draw the line?

To me it sounds like the OP needs to stop using W117 or random teams. Get some friends to play with you, they're not that hard to come by.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted