Mobilizing Armies

ghjkl

Its a stupid, not even gonna call it an activity, place in RS where people have to go to get rings so they can compete at corp ffa/etc. It takes no brainpower to do, just tedious work for 30 hours until you can get your ring and abandon the place forever. If there were no rewards, then no one would go there except because it is close to a spirit tree

/rant

I hate it

I agree, most overhyped content ever. I liked the update though cuz that spirit tree is redicuously conveniant.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I ALWAYS forget the tree is there. SO DAMN CONVIENIENT.

I've never played the game personally, is it *that* boring?

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Damn it. I was going to go for dstone ring (i) after I get all these 99's. Fml.

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

Know what? There are other forums that I've posted on where I have a well-entrenched and well-deserved reputation for being contrary. I have a habit of taking whatever most people in a community believe, and then arguing the exact opposite. (Try it, it's fun!) This is one case, however, where I have no choice but to agree with the prevailing opinion. Mobilizing Armies is terrible, and it's driving me nuts, so for a bit of catharsis I'll have to write some reasons why.

First, let's look at how Mobilizing Armies fits into Runescape as a whole.

- You gain no XP for other skills while playing MA, so people will be unmotivated to play it.

- Instead of being free like most minigames, you have to pay some hard-earned RS geepies, which will discourage more people from playing it.

- The only rewards of any remote usefulness in wider Runescape require 300 ranking points to buy. Earning that many ranking points requires 50 solid hours of work, in which you win absolutely every game. This also ignores time spent in the lobby. (Or, you can spend only 20 solid hours losing every game as quickly as possible, and earn the same number of points, hilariously enough.)

In other words, Mobilizing Armies really doesn't fit into RS, and serves only as an unprofitable and time-wasting distraction from "useful" content. Only a handful of players will believe that imbued rings are worth the loss of time, money and potential XP to get, and even fewer players will actually have the determination (or obsessiveness) necessary to get their ranking points all the way up to 300. This is why only about 6 people can be found playing MA, in total, at peak times.

But hey, why does this matter? A game is a game is a game, and all it has to be is fun, right? So what if it's not "useful"? Heck, I've enjoyed an evening or two at the Burthorpe games room, and I feel that my time was well spent, even though I didn't get XP for it. Well, the real problem is that Mobilizing Armies has the worst gameplay I've ever seen, anywhere. It's not even funny. It's not even worth going into some Yahtzee-esque rant over it. It's just depressing.

- Jagex apparently believes that a match of MA should take a full 20 minutes, even though a "professional" round of Starcraft or a similar RTS will last about 10. Note that Starcraft is a game with resource collection and management, buildings, the ability to train a variety of new units, and many other sources of complexity. "Mobilizing Armies" gives each team 10 units. There is no way to make more. All the "different" units work in almost exactly the same way. Due to the extremely low complexity of the game's design, the only way that Jagex was able to extend the length of a match was by giving each unit far, far too much health, ensuring that any match in which people actually play to win (instead of suiciding) will be a tedious slog. A better target time for a full match would have been about 2 minutes. Two minutes would still be more than enough time for some elegant, formation-based tactical combat. Or it would be, except that...

- Elegant, formation-based combat is impossible in MA. Because units can share the same space and can walk on top of each other, and because all units just use melee, the only useful formation is the pile-up: put all your units on top of each other, and get them all attacking the same enemy unit from close-range. Note that one of the most basic premises of RTS gameplay is that formation should matter. If you put a row of meat shields in front of a row of archers, then you should win against an opponent that scatters his units randomly. However, formation does not matter in MA. All units can walk on top of all others, and therefore no blocking or protection is possible. All units are melee-using meat shields, so none of them are even worth protecting, or specifically targeting, anyway. MA could be immediately improved if only one unit could be in a square at a time, and if it had more of the RTS unit archetypes (eg. rangers that have low health but can attack from farther away, mages that are very slow and fragile but also very powerful). We know that Jagex can make NPCs that attack at a distance. We also know that Jagex can make NPC objects that cannot be walked through. (More than one minigame in RS has "barricades.") As for why Jagex didn't put these things in MA, I guess we'll never know.

- The special units can be placed anywhere on the map, regardless of the position of your regular units. This just drives home the point of how unimportant formation is in this game. To use the special units' powerful attacks, you should have to do something difficult, like guide a fragile mage unit into the right position. Instead, you can annihilate your enemy with special units without ever even moving your troops from their starting spots. (If your opponent chooses the "wall" formation, you can easily hit all of their units with a single cannon shot at the very beginning of the round. Shoot all 5 cannons to win.)

- Finally, the game's controls and interface are absolutely terrible. All units look the same from above. Health bars are not always visible. It's impossible to match up the health values from the interface screen with the units they belong to. It's difficult to select the right unit when units are overlapping. You can only control one unit at a time. Some of these things may be due to limitations in Runescape's engine. This is not an excuse, because Jagex knew these limitations were there. The only reasonable course of action would have been to never attempt this in the first place. An RTS running on Runescape's engine could only be mediocre in the best possible case, and what we got was far, far worse.

kindness.png

I agree with every post in this thread. I AFK'd my 300 rank while I watched movies stuff. I basically did it when I didn't feel like playing Runescape. It is easily the worst update in the history of Runescape. People who complain about trade limits and PVP have never played MA.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Know what? There are other forums that I've posted on where I have a well-entrenched and well-deserved reputation for being contrary. I have a habit of taking whatever most people in a community believe, and then arguing the exact opposite. (Try it, it's fun!) This is one case, however, where I have no choice but to agree with the prevailing opinion. Mobilizing Armies is terrible, and it's driving me nuts, so for a bit of catharsis I'll have to write some reasons why.

Yea go check out the botter thread. I love playing the devil's advocate, it is fun! Until you get muted, reported, and accussed of botting.

On topic: I may go for this after my 99's. But can you enchant like as many rings as you want? Like if I unlocked a Dragonstone (i) ring, can I enchant as many rings as I want?

Yea go check out the botter thread. I love playing the devil's advocate, it is fun! Until you get muted, reported, and accussed of botting.

On topic: I may go for this after my 99's. But can you enchant like as many rings as you want? Like if I unlocked a Dragonstone (i) ring, can I enchant as many rings as I want?

Nope. You also need many many reward credits. Which of course means playing yet more MA... Which is why my rank is stupid high...

Jammy2222.png

I invested the max amount of credits that I could for every single rank, 1-300, and I ended up with enough credits to imbue a diamond ring, dragonstone ring, all four frem rings, onyx ring, a full set of Lord Marshal, a quest kit, and the locator, plus I have credits left over.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Its a stupid, not even gonna call it an activity, place in RS where people have to go to get rings so they can compete at corp ffa/etc. It takes no brainpower to do, just tedious work for 30 hours until you can get your ring and abandon the place forever. If there were no rewards, then no one would go there except because it is close to a spirit tree

/rant

I hate it

Not saying i like the game, never tried it personally.

But do you REALLY need it to compete at corp?

I mean, its only an extra bonus of ~5, does it really matter that much?

O.O

Yeah... it is easily the worst RTS in the history of the genre. That the game's release was actually DELAYED for months on end is absolutely incredible. Usually when you delay something you make it better, not produce the most worthless piece of crap in the mmo's history.

If Jagex for some arcane reason found it impossible to implement some of the MOST BASIC RTS concepts into MA, they should have just scrapped the project like they did with Wilderness Tag. Better to release nothing at all than a pile of refuse.

People who complain about trade limits and PVP have never played MA.

The thing is, trade limits affect to everyone while MA can be avoided. Nothing forces me to waste my time there, but the trade limits force me to obey them.

Anyways, I have to agree with Creaphis. The gameplay itself is absolutely horrible and the rewards are more or less useless unless you feel like wasting 50 hours. In my opinion a minigame shouldn't be like this: they should be either funny or at least rewarding. MA is not funny at all and the rewarding part can be questioned too.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm