Oh look! A player mod! He must be a jerk and reports people all the time!

PuppyKing

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy.

I log in to cut some ivys, because thats what I do. I see some other people chopping there, so I say hello. Some guy starts ranting about how he got banned years ago, and starts telling the other ivy cutters to stop talking, because the jerk player mod is a power hungry [Dude] who reports willie nillie. I consider myself a pretty nice guy, and I have never reported many people, so I took offense.

Thus concludes my rant. Thank you for your time. :smile:

There are no such thing as nice guy, you might be using the term wrong, but you are human, you make mistakes and you get riled up by petty meaningless stuff.....

Also, I hopped you banned him, cuz that will really show him...

Exactly. Now, what do you think they look for first? Do you think they read chat logs first or pick players to examine out of those with higher reports?

Again with the 'higher'. I'd assume that if they look at reports first they look at quality. Again, if they modded everyone with a certain number of reports, there would be many more mods than there were at the peak and these mods would be very different kinds of people.

How do you find quality in a report. A bot is a bot. A autotyper is a autotyper. What makes Report A better than report B? Also, the number to get modded is much higher than what most people would get normally. That is why there isin't a flood of P Mods. Even by not modding everyone reporting is still a factor. I never said that everybody had to get modded by a certain point. On another note I find most player mods don't do anything in situations where there is obvious rule breaking.

No, its that there is no proof. I don't want to just say you blatantly lie.

It's been done before by someone trying to make the exact same point :grin:

There's an equal amount of proof for the opposite side, that every mod sent hundreds of reports before being selected. The reason that nobody calls them out on it is that if you hate mods it's much easier to believe that all of them got that way through obsessively reporting innocent players.

Like sw0rd95's post. There's honestly no evidence for anything he said at all. It's likely that nobody is going to ask him to prove any of it, while if I made an opposite statement, I would (And have been in the past).

It's a double standard.

Where is the proof three reports is enough? I believe I have proved that reporting is a big factor. If you want to argue that then prove to me that reporting is absolutely unnecessary. I would think almost every Runescape player has sent in 3 reports. Therefore PROVE that it is not a factor at all.

Right. So, like what I said above, you have ti pick people who report a lot to examine.

That's completely unrelated to what I was saying.

It's much easier to tell what someone is like by actually reading their posts. You can't tell anything about a person based on the number of reports they've sent outside of the number of reports they've sent and what they say, if anything, in the 60 second or so chat log that makes up each one.

Right. So Jagex reads the forums and finds nice people? Come on.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

Every time I hear "ruin someone's fun" in relation to modding it's related to trolling. My personal favorite was a from a guy making swastikas with firemaking.

:grin:

I saw a guy doing that, had the reaction of '...I am not seeing this' and ran off with some of his logs when they became visible.

Silverfox30.png

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.
^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

How do you find quality in a report. A bot is a bot. A autotyper is a autotyper. What makes Report A better than report B? Also, the number to get modded is much higher than what most people would get normally. That is why there isin't a flood of P Mods. Even by not modding everyone reporting is still a factor. I never said that everybody had to get modded by a certain point. On another note I find most player mods don't do anything in situations where there is obvious rule breaking.

Quality would be sending reports when necessary for rulebreaking that is actually serious. A guy reporting five people for saying 'damn' isn't quality. A guy reporting one guy for password scamming is.

The part where you explain why there aren't many mods shows just how little you actually know about it. There is no magic number for reports. The system does not work by automatically modding someone after a certain number of reports, and it's assertions like that which make me ask you to cite things.

Furthermore, there are players that actually try to hit the magic number by reporting as many people as they can. The ones I've spoken to are, as of now, not mods.

Where is the proof three reports is enough? I believe I have proved that reporting is a big factor. If you want to argue that then prove to me that reporting is absolutely unnecessary. I would think almost every Runescape player has sent in 3 reports. Therefore PROVE that it is not a factor at all.

You have proven that reporting is a factor. You haven't proven that there is a magic number for it, which you've asserted twice here. Citing one source does not mean that everything you say after is covered.

My point is not that reporting is absolutely unnecessary, my point is that reporting is not the one and only factor for this.

If you have a player in mind, and they're active on the forums, you'd be stupid not to read up on them there. It's like how businesses look at social networking sites.

Quality would be sending reports when necessary for rulebreaking that is actually serious. A guy reporting five people for saying 'damn' isn't quality. A guy reporting one guy for password scamming is.

The part where you explain why there aren't many mods shows just how little you actually know about it. There is no magic number for reports. The system does not work by automatically modding someone after a certain number of reports, and it's assertions like that which make me ask you to cite things.

Furthermore, there are players that actually try to hit the magic number by reporting as many people as they can. The ones I've spoken to are, as of now, not mods.

Why is password scamming worse than saying "Damn." What if I happen to take extreme offense to that? A report=a report.

You have proven that reporting is a factor. You haven't proven that there is a magic number for it, which you've asserted twice here. Citing one source does not mean that everything you say after is covered.

My point is not that reporting is absolutely unnecessary, my point is that reporting is not the one and only factor for this.

I have NEVER EVER said there was a magic number. Please quote me where I said there was. Also, if you claim I am lying, then how can you say that reporting is even a factor? You claim to have sent three reports. Like I said I bet atleast 50% of Runescape players have sent atleast that many. I don't think Jagex needs something as vague as leaving the mass majority of non-bot players in the running.

If you have a player in mind, and they're active on the forums, you'd be stupid not to read up on them there. It's like how businesses look at social networking sites.

EXACTLY! Now where do you think Jagex finds these players to screen?

Owned_Nex.png

I have to say, this is better than the last thread like this. Much better :grin:

Why is password scamming worse than saying "Damn." What if I happen to take extreme offense to that? A report=a report.

This is a pretty weak hypothetical situation and completely missed the bulk of what I was actually saying.

Let's say I have two potential moderators: one with five reports after people saying "Damn" within minutes or hours of each other, the other with a single report for password scamming. I can see that the first player is reporting every player he sees for relatively minor offenses. That is not the kind of player I want to give moderator status too, he's most likely actively trying to earn it and is likely to abuse his status in some way or otherwise be ineffective with the role itself. Even if he is truly offended by the word, as your example says, he still wouldn't be good for the role because he may well ignore the rules Jagex set in favor of his own, and would be the exact kind of mod that people are complaining about on this thread.

The second player is more appealing because he isn't actively seeking rulebreakers, and if he is, chooses to focus on more dangerous forms of rulebreaking. I wouldn't instantly mod him, but I would do a bit of research and keep an eye on what he does later.

I say that password scamming worse because there is an immediate threat to players. Something like the language example, on the other hand, is something most people use in everyday conversation.

I have NEVER EVER said there was a magic number. Please quote me where I said there was. Also, if you claim I am lying, then how can you say that reporting is even a factor? You claim to have sent three reports. Like I said I bet atleast 50% of Runescape players have sent atleast that many. I don't think Jagex needs something as vague as leaving the mass majority of non-bot players in the running.

"Also, the number to get modded is much higher than what most people would get normally."

This more or less directly says that there is a number of reports, one "much higher than what most people would get normally" that is required for a player to be modded. That's what I meant by magic number.

I'd like to ask now, do you know this number? If so, can you cite where it's referenced?

This is going in circles.

• The forums, specifically behavior.
  • Game based communities such as fansites
  • The forum thread they set up for that very purpose
  • ACCURATE reports (Not hundreds of reports)

When looking at players they can more or less instantly discount those that have sent a number of inaccurate reports throughout their playing 'career', players with a number of moderate to serious offenses against them, again throughout their 'career', and players with poor account security. The remaining amount is probably much smaller than you'd think, and from there they can look at whatever it is they look at while making their decision.

Because being obscene is equal to being permanently banned. Seriously what are you an infant or a nun? have you never heard people cuss before. Grow some balls and deal with it, man up and dont cwwy to jawex cawse he was mwean to mwe

I'm quite sure he wasn't stupid enough to report anyone who cursed. He'd waste his entire playing time if he does that.

The word obscene already suggests that the offender was not just playing a fool/venting frustration or anything, and that he had an intent to bully/harass/whatever.

You dont know that, and i wouldnt be surprised if he did. Again this isnt just raw anger this is years of observation. They act like their the police when in reality their a security guard.

Oh, so your "years of observation" suddenly give you a right to impose stereotypes on the people or things you've observed? :rolleyes:

and if someone was botting why report, Jagex super good bot detection devices should catch it instantly :rolleyes:

You're an ignoramus.

It was sarcasm. But maybe if Jagex didnt do this whole thing about how their bot detection is amazing, blablabla and didnt rely 100% on player reports and random events i would not have included that part in my post.

So where's your evidence?

Thats why i hate mods, because they have the power to ruin someone elses fun. So what if someone is mean, their probably mean to you offline too but them being mean doesnt ruin the game as much as your account getting locked/muted does.

You're probably one of those [bleep]s who got muted by a mod or something. Your fun? So it's fun for the other player to be bullied/harassed? You might be able to deal with it because you're a [bleep] who does it yourself, but others don't, so quit being a selfish [wagon].

lol I have in 06 for typing "you tube" and i think "my space" ingame, that was my only time i got muted.

And no even if i WAS bulling and harassing people doing that is less detrimental to their gameplay then getting your account locked or muted. The punishment is much worse then the crime and most mods have no understanding of that. So in affect their the selfish ones, putting their ambition of the silver crown over other peoples ability to play the game.

Your whole account is virtual for god's sake. If you're so emotionally attached to it, then you shouldn't be doing things against the rules in the first place. On the other hand, cyberbullying doesn't just cause virtual effects.

I have an irl friend that became a mod, worst example of one too. He got the crown by reporting lots of people some got banned for putting dam instead of damn even! i mean the stuff is just silly, and i hate to think how many peoples gameplay this kid alone ruined.

There is always corruption in any organisation of power or influence. Don't tell me you don't know that.

Like ive said in a previous post though. I dont hate all mods, just the ones willing to ruin other peoples gameplay for their selfish gain. The fact that jagex DOES look for reports as part of recruitment verifies that some or a lot are worth my dislike.

I hate corrupt mods too, but it's ridiculous to vent your anger at all mods in a stereotypical manner like you did just because of a few of the corrupt ones.

Tl;dr reporting people for minor offenses ruins the persons you reported's gameplay and is selfish. Jagex gives people who excel at this a silver crown and the ability to mute. Therefor i dislike them.

I hate how they spam my chat box.

Like im at ge, puplic -> friends.

GTFO [name removed], i don't want to listen to your [cabbage], get off world 99, get off runescape, get off ur crown. You're a horrible mod, you just straight up [bleep]ing suck. Just a [bleep]ing idiot. Stupid kid idk how you got modded but you dont deserve it. go die plz

Edited by Gandorf61
Please don't name other players in a negative light

Levon.png Bladewing.png

It's great you know what you're talking about rustiod. Everything you've said is 100% accurate a true.

That being said...your a [bleep]ing [bleep] douchebag, and none of your advice will ever (or should ever) be taken seriously because of it.

disregard good advice because the giver is a douche

THAT MAKES YOU A BETTER PERSON

I have to say, this is better than the last thread like this. Much better :grin:

This is a pretty weak hypothetical situation and completely missed the bulk of what I was actually saying.

Let's say I have two potential moderators: one with five reports after people saying "Damn" within minutes or hours of each other, the other with a single report for password scamming. I can see that the first player is reporting every player he sees for relatively minor offenses. That is not the kind of player I want to give moderator status too, he's most likely actively trying to earn it and is likely to abuse his status in some way or otherwise be ineffective with the role itself. Even if he is truly offended by the word, as your example says, he still wouldn't be good for the role because he may well ignore the rules Jagex set in favor of his own, and would be the exact kind of mod that people are complaining about on this thread.

The second player is more appealing because he isn't actively seeking rulebreakers, and if he is, chooses to focus on more dangerous forms of rulebreaking. I wouldn't instantly mod him, but I would do a bit of research and keep an eye on what he does later.

I say that password scamming worse because there is an immediate threat to players. Something like the language example, on the other hand, is something most people use in everyday conversation.

But that is YOUR OPINION. I can just as easily say that password scamming is minor because nobody falls for them or that people who do are not over the age limit anyways. "Damn" could be said to pollute children minds and are therefore much more severe considering that it affects people irl. Also, swearing is rule breaking. If Jagex thought that, for example, swearing is insignificant, why include it?

"Also, the number to get modded is much higher than what most people would get normally."

This more or less directly says that there is a number of reports, one "much higher than what most people would get normally" that is required for a player to be modded. That's what I meant by magic number.

I'd like to ask now, do you know this number? If so, can you cite where it's referenced?

Right. You need to report people more than others. Higher=More. More isn't a set number. May I ask you now, to point out why reporting isn't a factor. Since, like I said before and you have conveniently missed, three reports isn't significant at all, and that the majority of players have sent in that many.

This is going in circles.

• The forums, specifically behavior.
  • Game based communities such as fansites
  • The forum thread they set up for that very purpose
  • ACCURATE reports (Not hundreds of reports)

When looking at players they can more or less instantly discount those that have sent a number of inaccurate reports throughout their playing 'career', players with a number of moderate to serious offenses against them, again throughout their 'career', and players with poor account security. The remaining amount is probably much smaller than you'd think, and from there they can look at whatever it is they look at while making their decision.

Right, so we cut out all of the aforementioned players. But that number is significantly less than the total player base. For example, "inaccurate reports" is fairly insignificant. The only way would be reporting someone who reports you for misuse, but that has been taken care of. For serious offenses, most of these people are really just bots. And players with poor account security...well how many people need to recover their accounts? Even after cutting out all of those that still leaves a few hundred thousand players. By no means is it the 10 or 20 that Jagex can comb through without any basis(reports)

This indeed is going in circles.

Owned_Nex.png

But that is YOUR OPINION. I can just as easily say that password scamming is minor because nobody falls for them or that people who do are not over the age limit anyways. "Damn" could be said to pollute children minds and are therefore much more severe considering that it affects people irl. Also, swearing is rule breaking. If Jagex thought that, for example, swearing is insignificant, why include it?

Because, to a degree, it is significant. Some words are considered worse than others. That's why 'damn' isn't censored here or ingame and '[cabbage]' is. Which is worse, a player saying "damn it I died!" or "[bleep] all you [racist terms] muhahaha!"?

Password scamming is a threat because many people DO fall for it, and not just under 13s. For that reason even an attempt at it is serious.

Both of them are rules because both of them can be dangerous. However, offensive language is the one rule that has always had the most complexity to it for the same reason that you shouldn't trust your spell checker to correct every grammar mistake. Words can have different meanings, and can be used in different ways. "Damn it" is an expression of frustration, "damn you" is a personal attack.

Right. You need to report people more than others. Higher=More. More isn't a set number. May I ask you now, to point out why reporting isn't a factor. Since, like I said before and you have conveniently missed, three reports isn't significant at all, and that the majority of players have sent in that many.

And the part you have conveniently missed is that I'm not arguing that reporting is not a factor. I've been arguing that it isn't the only factor.

The fact that three reports isn't a high number proves my point. If sending lots of reports was the only factor, what am I doing there? Yes, many players have sent 3 reports. Many players have also sent hundreds of reports. And again, most have not been modded. So what do they really look at?

Right, so we cut out all of the aforementioned players. But that number is significantly less than the total player base. For example, "inaccurate reports" is fairly insignificant. The only way would be reporting someone who reports you for misuse, but that has been taken care of. For serious offenses, most of these people are really just bots. And players with poor account security...well how many people need to recover their accounts? Even after cutting out all of those that still leaves a few hundred thousand players. By no means is it the 10 or 20 that Jagex can comb through without any basis(reports)

I'm curious where you got your numbers.

Remember though that this isn't the same as reporting, they can take this as slowly as they want, and the numbers aren't going to significantly pile up if they do.

Here's an example anyway, numbers courtesy of my ass:

Assuming 2.5 million accounts created overall

Most of those are inactive, we'll say 500,000 are.

They can discount those that have been hacked at one point. That's what I meant by account security, say that cuts the number in half

Of those 250,000 they can ignore those that have a number of reports against them from over the course of their playing time, assume that knocks out half again. Could be more or less, but Jagex isn't giving out the numbers. If they were I'd use them and not mine.

125,000 players left, let's say 5,000 have sent a number of inaccurate reports over the course of their time. That suggests that they never really learned the rules, and I'm sure you know why that would be important...

120,000 players left, divided over 15 to 50 people (Number from the Investigation in the Community Team, who may or may not actually be in charge of it but is the smallest group that could be. The group I think is most likely to be in charge of this has )

Each person has between 2,400 to 8,000 players to look at. They can take their time on this, and people are going to be discounted faster than added. From there they can use whatever criteria they actually use to decide who gets modded.

Because, to a degree, it is significant. Some words are considered worse than others. That's why 'damn' isn't censored here or ingame and '[cabbage]' is. Which is worse, a player saying "damn it I died!" or "[bleep] all you [racist terms] muhahaha!"?

Password scamming is a threat because many people DO fall for it, and not just under 13s. For that reason even an attempt at it is serious.

Both of them are rules because both of them can be dangerous. However, offensive language is the one rule that has always had the most complexity to it for the same reason that you shouldn't trust your spell checker to correct every grammar mistake. Words can have different meanings, and can be used in different ways. "Damn it" is an expression of frustration, "damn you" is a personal attack.

Bro...password scamming doesn't work on anyone over 13. I hope nobody falls for "Hey, give me your pass and you get money" scam...Anyways, still an opinion, although I would think Rl>Rs,

And the part you have conveniently missed is that I'm not arguing that reporting is not a factor. I've been arguing that it isn't the only factor.

The fact that three reports isn't a high number proves my point. If sending lots of reports was the only factor, what am I doing there? Yes, many players have sent 3 reports. Many players have also sent hundreds of reports. And again, most have not been modded. So what do they really look at?

A factor is needed to eliminate a large number of players. Something that eliminates the small minority of players who have not sent in 3 is useless. It would not be even a small factor if that was the case. True lots of players do not get modded after sending in a number of reports. But you, for some reason, believe in a magic number. I've already shown the misquote/misinterpretation of my quote.

I'm curious where you got your numbers.

Remember though that this isn't the same as reporting, they can take this as slowly as they want, and the numbers aren't going to significantly pile up if they do.

Here's an example anyway, numbers courtesy of my ass:

Assuming 2.5 million accounts created overall

Most of those are inactive, we'll say 500,000 are.

They can discount those that have been hacked at one point. That's what I meant by account security, say that cuts the number in half

Of those 250,000 they can ignore those that have a number of reports against them from over the course of their playing time, assume that knocks out half again. Could be more or less, but Jagex isn't giving out the numbers. If they were I'd use them and not mine.

125,000 players left, let's say 5,000 have sent a number of inaccurate reports over the course of their time. That suggests that they never really learned the rules, and I'm sure you know why that would be important...

120,000 players left, divided over 15 to 50 people (Number from the Investigation in the Community Team, who may or may not actually be in charge of it but is the smallest group that could be. The group I think is most likely to be in charge of this has )

Each person has between 2,400 to 8,000 players to look at. They can take their time on this, and people are going to be discounted faster than added. From there they can use whatever criteria they actually use to decide who gets modded.

Realistically, however there are probably at least 1-2 million active accounts. On a normal day you can expect there to be about 150k players playing simultaneously. Most of these players will be active for 12 hours or less, and get replaced by people on the other side of the world who just woke up. Then there are the people who are not playing everyday, and players who play during the weekends only. Considering multiple accounts one person would have, that number is 1million at the very least.

Also, half of Runescape accounts have not been hacked. That is way to far fetched. Even if Jagex makes one person look at 2k-8k players, that is still unreasonable. Even if there were 2k players, and a mod read through their chat logs for one minute, that is over 33 hours PER PERSON. Realistically there are not only 120,000 players capable for the job. There are most playing as I speak. You seem to expect them to remember who was nice and who wasn't. Unfortunately the only person who could keep track of so many was Santa Clause.

What I believe is that Jagex works in a more efficient manner. By checking players as they go down the list of top reporters. This way they can be sure that whoever they pick can do their job, and, is not excessively obnoxious.

Btw, we are all assuming they keep chat logs and logs of the forums. Considering it is Jagex, I don't even think they bother to check.

Owned_Nex.png

Bro...password scamming doesn't work on anyone over 13. I hope nobody falls for "Hey, give me your pass and you get money" scam...Anyways, still an opinion, although I would think Rl>Rs

:wall:

True, very few people fall for a password scam as poorly done as your example. A number of them are convincing if only because they address an area that few people know about, such as (appropriate) 'You've been chosen to become a pmod, I need your pass to make the change" where the manual is unclear on how they actually do it or the information is harder to find.

Age has nothing to do with scamming. Experience does.

A factor is needed to eliminate a large number of players. Something that eliminates the small minority of players who have not sent in 3 is useless. It would not be even a small factor if that was the case. True lots of players do not get modded after sending in a number of reports. But you, for some reason, believe in a magic number. I've already shown the misquote/misinterpretation of my quote.

Where did you get that I 'believe in a magic number'? That concept came up as an interpretation of your post, I spent a few arguing against it.

Realistically, however there are probably at least 1-2 million active accounts. On a normal day you can expect there to be about 150k players playing simultaneously. Most of these players will be active for 12 hours or less, and get replaced by people on the other side of the world who just woke up. Then there are the people who are not playing everyday, and players who play during the weekends only. Considering multiple accounts one person would have, that number is 1million at the very least.

Also, half of Runescape accounts have not been hacked. That is way to far fetched. Even if Jagex makes one person look at 2k-8k players, that is still unreasonable. Even if there were 2k players, and a mod read through their chat logs for one minute, that is over 33 hours PER PERSON. Realistically there are not only 120,000 players capable for the job. There are most playing as I speak. You seem to expect them to remember who was nice and who wasn't. Unfortunately the only person who could keep track of so many was Santa Clause.

What I believe is that Jagex works in a more efficient manner. By checking players as they go down the list of top reporters. This way they can be sure that whoever they pick can do their job, and, is not excessively obnoxious.

Btw, we are all assuming they keep chat logs and logs of the forums. Considering it is Jagex, I don't even think they bother to check.

Eh, you're assuming chat logs. I'm assuming that they read forum posts. You don't need special logs for that, your profile has each and every active post you've made. And they already do have people that look at the forums.

Again, the numbers are directly from my ass. I made them up to show how they could do this. They aren't providing the actual numbers, so I'm forced to use my own for the sake of the example.

There is also no rush in doing this. This isn't like reports where they have to sift through a few hundred in a minute or they'll overwhelm you. This is looking at a number of players that isn't going to change very quickly.

I hate how they spam my chat box.

Like im at ge, puplic -> friends.

GTFO [name removed], i don't want to listen to your [cabbage], get off world 99, get off runescape, get off ur crown. You're a horrible mod, you just straight up [bleep]ing suck. Just a [bleep]ing idiot. Stupid kid idk how you got modded but you dont deserve it. go die plz

Mod's name --> Ignore list

FTW plawcks?

PM me for fitocracy invite

Bro...password scamming doesn't work on anyone over 13. I hope nobody falls for "Hey, give me your pass and you get money" scam...Anyways, still an opinion, although I would think Rl>Rs

:wall:

True, very few people fall for a password scam as poorly done as your example. A number of them are convincing if only because they address an area that few people know about, such as (appropriate) 'You've been chosen to become a pmod, I need your pass to make the change" where the manual is unclear on how they actually do it or the information is harder to find.

Age has nothing to do with scamming. Experience does.

An ordinary person gains experience and intellect as they age. You don't need to fall for EVERY single trap once before you realize that 0h shi- this is a trap/scam.

Where did you get that I 'believe in a magic number'? That concept came up as an interpretation of your post, I spent a few arguing against it.

Then why do you use the example of someone reporting hundreds of reports and not getting modded? Are you not implying that once someone reaches a number of reports numbering in the hundreds they should get promoted into a mod?

Eh, you're assuming chat logs. I'm assuming that they read forum posts. You don't need special logs for that, your profile has each and every active post you've made. And they already do have people that look at the forums.

Again, the numbers are directly from my ass. I made them up to show how they could do this. They aren't providing the actual numbers, so I'm forced to use my own for the sake of the example.

There is also no rush in doing this. This isn't like reports where they have to sift through a few hundred in a minute or they'll overwhelm you. This is looking at a number of players that isn't going to change very quickly.

But we have to look at things realistically. I agree that the numbers coming outta your ass are promising, but its simply incorrect to base everything upon that. Also, looking at someone's forum persona is a dubious way of seeing how they act in game. I could be all nice and helpful to my friends(or people I've associated myself with), but turn viciously against everybody else. Anyways...even if they determine how you act on the forums is how you always are, this does not mean that suddenly you'll get special attention randomly. While I don't disagree that mods will look at a player's forum persona, I bring this back to my main point of reports being a major factor in the decision process.

Owned_Nex.png

An ordinary person gains experience and intellect as they age. You don't need to fall for EVERY single trap once before you realize that 0h shi- this is a trap/scam.

Of course you don't. But that doesn't mean that someone isn't going to fall for it once. For some people that's the best way to learn how to avoid it.

Then why do you use the example of someone reporting hundreds of reports and not getting modded? Are you not implying that once someone reaches a number of reports numbering in the hundreds they should get promoted into a mod?

I used that example to explain that it isn't the "report tons of people and you'll be modded" model that a lot of people seem to believe.

But we have to look at things realistically. I agree that the numbers coming outta your ass are promising, but its simply incorrect to base everything upon that. Also, looking at someone's forum persona is a dubious way of seeing how they act in game. I could be all nice and helpful to my friends(or people I've associated myself with), but turn viciously against everybody else. Anyways...even if they determine how you act on the forums is how you always are, this does not mean that suddenly you'll get special attention randomly. While I don't disagree that mods will look at a player's forum persona, I bring this back to my main point of reports being a major factor in the decision process.

Of course it's incorrect to base everything on that, but it does make the actual search a lot easier. It's smart to take a look at what you want, then eliminate everything that doesn't fit that criteria before the actual search begins, especially when dealing with over 2 million accounts.

Yes, reporting is a factor. even discounting the kindness and helpfulness examples, there are still other factors. Account security, for example: A player who has been hacked even once is ineligible for modship, or so they've been telling me... It isn't a factor in the latter parts of the decision process, but it's pretty major for where it is.

Reports could be a part of the end process. I'd be surprised if they weren't, at least in the past when the role was a glorified mutestick... Now that they want a community focus, so they may well look at that too.

Of course you don't. But that doesn't mean that someone isn't going to fall for it once. For some people that's the best way to learn how to avoid it.

I simply cannot believe anyone over the age of 13 is going to be this naive.

I used that example to explain that it isn't the "report tons of people and you'll be modded" model that a lot of people seem to believe.

Well, at least I've never said that. It is simply that reports are required to become a candidate for being a player mod.

Of course it's incorrect to base everything on that, but it does make the actual search a lot easier. It's smart to take a look at what you want, then eliminate everything that doesn't fit that criteria before the actual search begins, especially when dealing with over 2 million accounts.

Yes, reporting is a factor. even discounting the kindness and helpfulness examples, there are still other factors. Account security, for example: A player who has been hacked even once is ineligible for modship, or so they've been telling me... It isn't a factor in the latter parts of the decision process, but it's pretty major for where it is.

Reports could be a part of the end process. I'd be surprised if they weren't, at least in the past when the role was a glorified mutestick... Now that they want a community focus, so they may well look at that too.

How can reports be the end process? If you are looking for an employee do you go out onto the streets to find nice people, interview them, perform background checks, and then see if they have any experience in their field? Of course not!

Owned_Nex.png

It's not always a case of someone being naive. It may simply be a case of mental capability because I used to know someone who would fall for that sort of thing. Not her fault. (Not that she should or does play on RuneScape.)

Silverfox30.png

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.
^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

Let's go through the many examples of players falling for scams because of how they trusted the scammer. It wasn't uncommon for people to have friends who asked to borrow an item - which the player would comply with because they are a trusted friend - and their 'friend' would disappear after taking the item. The same way, a friend could ask for a chance to play on an account for a while. And as they're a trusted friend, why not? Do they deny their friend, which could lead to the loss of said friendship? What harm could it do in comparison to that? Of course, that isn't anything like the more anonymous password scams, but it illustrates a point of some kind, I hope.

If that isn't suitable, let's take a look into the real world. Identity theft is the closest thing in the real world, people tend to fall for it either out of carelessness or out of greed. I don't know the numbers of victims or losses as a result of these scams, but it's an exclusively adult victim base. Let's not forget that these are much more serious scams to fall for...

These scams, in reality and in the game, work because the victims believe the benefits outweigh the risks. Yes, this guy might take my account, but if he's for real I get to be a pmod/get my offense cleared/get free membership.

Well, at least I've never said that. It is simply that reports are required to become a candidate for being a player mod.

The question that was being debated was 'how many'. And your belief was that it was many more than three.

How can reports be the end process? If you are looking for an employee do you go out onto the streets to find nice people, interview them, perform background checks, and then see if they have any experience in their field? Of course not!

This isn't the same as a real world employee search, though, even if it has shades of one. Everything Jagex needs, they have the resources to get. There are no interviews, and the choice is arguably made entirely based on the background check. Performance is just a part of that background. It's the part that is more logical to look at after you've eliminated the people you don't want. They're dealing with thousands of players at a time, after all.

Let's go through the many examples of players falling for scams because of how they trusted the scammer. It wasn't uncommon for people to have friends who asked to borrow an item - which the player would comply with because they are a trusted friend - and their 'friend' would disappear after taking the item. The same way, a friend could ask for a chance to play on an account for a while. And as they're a trusted friend, why not? Do they deny their friend, which could lead to the loss of said friendship? What harm could it do in comparison to that? Of course, that isn't anything like the more anonymous password scams, but it illustrates a point of some kind, I hope.

If that isn't suitable, let's take a look into the real world. Identity theft is the closest thing in the real world, people tend to fall for it either out of carelessness or out of greed. I don't know the numbers of victims or losses as a result of these scams, but it's an exclusively adult victim base. Let's not forget that these are much more serious scams to fall for...

These scams, in reality and in the game, work because the victims believe the benefits outweigh the risks. Yes, this guy might take my account, but if he's for real I get to be a pmod/get my offense cleared/get free membership.

Trust in an online game. Maybe years ago, but in this time with an IQ higher than room temperature, you should realize things that are too good to be true, and the vast majority of players who are plotting to scam tiny amounts of money. Also, if a friend is going to ragequit on you for not breaking the rules, they are not your true friends. Although identity theft is a problem, it is usually more subtle. You can't just ask someone "Hey, give me your credit card number and personal information so I can make you rich."

The question that was being debated was 'how many'. And your belief was that it was many more than three.

Right. More isn't a number.

This isn't the same as a real world employee search, though, even if it has shades of one. Everything Jagex needs, they have the resources to get. There are no interviews, and the choice is arguably made entirely based on the background check. Performance is just a part of that background. It's the part that is more logical to look at after you've eliminated the people you don't want. They're dealing with thousands of players at a time, after all.

But that is illogical. Why not look for performance first?

You can either do 500k background checks and then narrow it down to 10 people, or you can get the people with the highest reports and then narrow it down from there, performing a tiny fraction of the background checks. This is the difference between a week/month of your time verses 1 day. Keep in mind Jagex has ~400-500 employees, so I doubt they will use more than 1-2 people for this, considering they do not even have humans check important things such as ban appeals.

Owned_Nex.png

Trust in an online game. Maybe years ago, but in this time with an IQ higher than room temperature, you should realize things that are too good to be true, and the vast majority of players who are plotting to scam tiny amounts of money. Also, if a friend is going to ragequit on you for not breaking the rules, they are not your true friends. Although identity theft is a problem, it is usually more subtle. You can't just ask someone "Hey, give me your credit card number and personal information so I can make you rich."

But that's the underlying promise, "if I give this guy information I could be rich". It's the same thing with different words. You'd be mistaken if you thought every scam was as obvious as "gimme your pass plx", if they were nobody would attempt them.

Also, are you one of those people that equates IQ with everything?

So now we have some vague "greater than three". Which just establishes that you think that mods need to send lots of reports to be modded.

You can either do 500k background checks and then narrow it down to 10 people, or you can get the people with the highest reports and then narrow it down from there, performing a tiny fraction of the background checks. This is the difference between a week/month of your time verses 1 day. Keep in mind Jagex has ~400-500 employees, so I doubt they will use more than 1-2 people for this, considering they do not even have humans check important things such as ban appeals.

Just because I admitted that I made up the numbers doesn't mean the method I used them in is flawed.

There are enough people that actively report as many people as they can in an effort to be modded that even picking the people with the highest number of reports is flawed. And do you actually want to mod people that go out of their way to try to earn modship?

Yeah, they have 400-500 employees. 22 of those work with reports in some way (unless things have changed), and they at one point had thousands of reports daily. 23 work in the group that deals with mods (Source). That's quite a bit more than 1-2.

]But that's the underlying promise, "if I give this guy information I could be rich". It's the same thing with different words. You'd be mistaken if you thought every scam was as obvious as "gimme your pass plx", if they were nobody would attempt them.

Also, are you one of those people that equates IQ with everything?

All RS scams are based off of "gimme your pass" or "gimme you stuff." Its all promising wealth in exchange for your password/items/money. Btw, a mod's main power is their ability to mute. Wouldn't some experience in reporting offensive language and that kind of be necessary?

So now we have some vague "greater than three". Which just establishes that you think that mods need to send lots of reports to be modded.

Yes, that was my argument from the beginning.

Just because I admitted that I made up the numbers doesn't mean the method I used them in is flawed.

There are enough people that actively report as many people as they can in an effort to be modded that even picking the people with the highest number of reports is flawed. And do you actually want to mod people that go out of their way to try to earn modship?

Yeah, they have 400-500 employees. 22 of those work with reports in some way (unless things have changed), and they at one point had thousands of reports daily. 23 work in the group that deals with mods (Source). That's quite a bit more than 1-2.

Where did you get 22? I'm interested in which sections you think are devoted to this purpose.

The method is flawed, no matter how you look at it. You can either pick randomly from a massive playerbase for the nice people, and get nice mods. You could also pick from a small number of players and pick people who do the "job." While it seems nice to have all these nice player mods. It is better to have mods that are rude, mean, and obnoxious people that do what they are meant to do. No, I do not believe all mods are perfect. This system in itself is flawed. You do get people that report to get modded. Do I support this? No. But quite frankly in a system like this it happens. There is no way to tell if someone is reporting to be a mod or not. There is no way to tell if someone acts the same on the forums and in game. In either way there is absolutely no way or reason for Jagex to look for nice people first. Even if they had 22 people who looked at reports, forum posts, and other submissions for 10 hours a day, it would still take weeks to find decent people/ Then you would have to go and see who is the best at being a mod. By looking at the number of reports first, you can go down the list. If they are rude or such, then move onto the next. If they have a history of offenses or getting hacked, move on to the next. This results in people who do their jobs, and people who are nice.

Owned_Nex.png

All RS scams are based off of "gimme your pass" or "gimme you stuff." Its all promising wealth in exchange for your password/items/money. Btw, a mod's main power is their ability to mute. Wouldn't some experience in reporting offensive language and that kind of be necessary?

Yes, it would be. I haven't been denying that. I've been saying that there are other things that they look at. I think I've said that at least twice now... Probably time to put away the strawman and look at what I've actually been saying...

So after all this all we've done is reaffirm that you've thought that from the beginning... Progress!

Where did you get 22? I'm interested in which sections you think are devoted to this purpose.

The method is flawed, no matter how you look at it. You can either pick randomly from a massive playerbase for the nice people, and get nice mods. You could also pick from a small number of players and pick people who do the "job." While it seems nice to have all these nice player mods. It is better to have mods that are rude, mean, and obnoxious people that do what they are meant to do. No, I do not believe all mods are perfect. This system in itself is flawed. You do get people that report to get modded. Do I support this? No. But quite frankly in a system like this it happens. There is no way to tell if someone is reporting to be a mod or not. There is no way to tell if someone acts the same on the forums and in game. In either way there is absolutely no way or reason for Jagex to look for nice people first. Even if they had 22 people who looked at reports, forum posts, and other submissions for 10 hours a day, it would still take weeks to find decent people/ Then you would have to go and see who is the best at being a mod. By looking at the number of reports first, you can go down the list. If they are rude or such, then move onto the next. If they have a history of offenses or getting hacked, move on to the next. This results in people who do their jobs, and people who are nice.

22 is the number of people in the Investigation in the Community Unit. There are 23 people in the Community Management team, which, as I said, works with the mod teams and would probably have a hand in it too.

The method I outlined was not a method for actually selecting mods. It was a method to eliminate people who don't fit the criteria before you look. That is hardly picking randomly from the playerbase.

It isn't better to have rude, mean, and obnoxious people that do their jobs, because those are precisely the kinds of people that won't do their jobs well. The last thing you want is the stereotypical [wagon] pure to have mute powers just because he reports a lot. And that's exactly why they don't base the whole system on reports.

It's clear to me that you have no idea how the system works. You're making up something that supports all of the nonsense you've been hearing and calling it fact. I doubt you're really interested in debating this because you are barely even arguing against what I've actually been posting. Go out and talk to some mods before you make broad statements about them. You may learn something.

Yes, it would be. I haven't been denying that. I've been saying that there are other things that they look at. I think I've said that at least twice now... Probably time to put away the strawman and look at what I've actually been saying...

So you go on about how Pass Scamming is more legitimate than Offensive Language and then suddenly I'm not reading what you are saying after proving while its not? I'm not saying reporting offensive language is yet another factor. I'm saying someone who reports for it isn't always just a wannabe mod.

So after all this all we've done is reaffirm that you've thought that from the beginning... Progress!

And after a few restatements of this you STILL do not understand what I am saying. Progress indeed.

22 is the number of people in the Investigation in the Community Unit. There are 23 people in the Community Management team, which, as I said, works with the mod teams and would probably have a hand in it too.

The method I outlined was not a method for actually selecting mods. It was a method to eliminate people who don't fit the criteria before you look. That is hardly picking randomly from the playerbase.

It isn't better to have rude, mean, and obnoxious people that do their jobs, because those are precisely the kinds of people that won't do their jobs well. The last thing you want is the stereotypical [wagon] pure to have mute powers just because he reports a lot. And that's exactly why they don't base the whole system on reports.

It's clear to me that you have no idea how the system works. You're making up something that supports all of the nonsense you've been hearing and calling it fact. I doubt you're really interested in debating this because you are barely even arguing against what I've actually been posting. Go out and talk to some mods before you make broad statements about them. You may learn something.

22-23 people total. Thats the total number which could be part of this. Do you think Jagex devoted ~5% of their employees to this 10 hours a day? No. They can't. While your method does cut a chunk out of the playerbase. You leave upwards of a million accounts. I would say picking out people from that is random.

Although it does not sound good, it is better to have people that actually do their job. Why Mod someone who would never use the report button or is too nice to mute people? Whats the point?

Clear to you I don't know how the system work. Don't give me this crap. Whats your argument? Are you just going to flat out deny everything I say? How the hell can you argue that someone does not need a significant amount of reports? Yes, you drone on and on about how it isn't the only factor. I GIVE YOU THAT YOU WIN GG GOOD DUEL YES OK YOU WIN. Then you misquote me twice. First you say I made up or know of a magic number. Now then you base your entire argument on how password scamming>offensive language reports. After that somehow I am the one now listening to you. For the middle paragraphs nothing came out of it because you were too stubborn picking out small details and debating that. LOOK at the progression. You never answered one tough question. Instead you picked apart a sentence and defined "more" as a number. EVERY singe question for me HAS been answered. If you do not feel I have answered ANYTHING at ALL quote it to me and I will do so immediately. The argument goes in circles because YOU IGNORE the BULK of my argument and pick apart tiny tiny details. Why do we even need this 22 people number? You manage to base this entire paragraph on the 1-2 number I gave as an example.

So sad. You are a prime example of the "Stereotypical" mod. Even you are not clear on your facts. Kindness and helpfulness? Flame an entire debate and then leave after you have nothing left to say.

I guess this is partly my fault too. I should never had even started this crap. Every single Mod with a few exceptions I have met are like you. Waste of my time trying to change something like this.

Owned_Nex.png