Oh look! A player mod! He must be a jerk and reports people all the time!

PuppyKing

Player mods are like spies working for jagex. I don't talk to them, If they have no reason to take action, no action is taken. I've never broken any jagex rules, though.

Tbh, they seem to like reporting people, so don't talk near them. They aren't all report-lunatics though.

quoted for the luls.

but really i have a few player mods on my friends list.. they're great guys. but the player mod that frequents the clanchat i go to reports people like nothing.. seriously reports EVERYBODY for nothing (including members of the chat who have been there for years, myself included). and she tries that sarcasm you mentioned and fails miserably at it.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in how a player could become a mod without ever reporting one player. Imo its not a stereotype. Its simply fact. I can say with 100% certainty that the VAST majority, if not all player mods reported people to get that position.

If this is a fact would you mind citing a source for it? To me it's the same baseless bull[cabbage] assertion that all mods are report-happy freaks by people who have no clue what they're talking about.

http://www.runescape.com/kbase/guid/moderators. I quote "We consider the validity of the players abuse reports and as well as how helpful and friendly they have been to other players in the game."

Also, I remember something some guy above said about playing>modding. If this is the case that person is clearly not responsible enough to be a player moderator. By picking to be a mod, you voluntarily agree to sacrifice some of your time, some of your fun. This is a major problem I see with pmods. After getting it, they are suddenly too busy for their jobs, or simply don't care. If they cannot spend some time actually modding actively, they simply don't deserve the title. I superheat at the GE a lot. Even on crowded worlds, I can see that there are Pmods there, yet almost all don't even look at the autotyping merch clan advertisers. Kinda bothers me how little effort is put into modding after the crown.

So, damned if we do, damned if we don't. Apparently It's bad to report players, but at the same time a mod that actually plays the game is unfit to be a mod. Let's ignore the fact that there are a lot of rules surrounding the mute feature... For a while we actually weren't allowed to mute those guys, so shouldn't you be blaming Jagex for that one?[/b]

So you can't mute autotypers...k. Also, don't misquote me. I said that a mod who does not put any time/effort into modding is unfit to be a mod. NOWHERE did I say that a mod had to devote all of their time modding.

Anyways, I disliked the idea of Pmods from the beginning. While I don't condone illegal activity, too many people are reporting for light offenses just to get that silver crown. I've had friends reported and muted for telling me to come to tip.it to check out a map. I've been banned for macroing because I'm actually over the age of 13, and I can in fact type fast.

Kinda saddens me. Back in RSC and before this crap I could swear lightly in front of friends to express frustration and anger. In this age its watch your mini map closely for any sign of a white dot.

]A thing that many people miss is that everybody's account comes with a working report button. Again, it sounds like this is venting frustration at a ban/mute by railing against mods. Other people can report you, too, you know, and if you'd like to make an absurd ass-pull statement about how people only report to become mods I'm going to ignore you.

Yes, other people can report. But what I am saying is we are forced into this rigid system where a single slip is equal to a mute. I believe swears are useful in the English language to express your attitude. Also, don't give me that crap about venting frustration. You are clearly an informed person. Do not try to pretend you are so stupid as to think I'm raging over a mute. Let me tell you that I have conformed into this "community" in Runescape because I was requried to.

Every Tip.It discussion about mods makes hate the board a little more...

I have proved to you that reporting players is key to becoming a player moderator. Prove to me that it is not needed to become a player moderator.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

I have proved to you that reporting players is key to becoming a player moderator. Prove to me that it is not needed to become a player moderator.

"Its simply fact. I can say with 100% certainty that the VAST majority, if not all player mods reported people to get that position. "

Is what I asked you to cite. The fact that the a number between "vast majority" and "100%" reported people in an active effort to become mods. Feel free to try to backtrack out of this point by saying that you meant that reporting is a factor in being selected, because then you just reaffirm what your source says. That is to say, nothing new.

What you did cite is:

"We consider the validity of the players abuse reports and as well as how helpful and friendly they have been to other players in the game."

Which simply shows that reporting quality is one factor, in addition to helpfulness and friendliness. Not reporting quantity. And this brings up another question... If they look at kindness and friendliness, though, doesn't that nullify the entire "only [wagon] are mods" point? Or does it mean that Jagex is lying about their selection process, in which case their statement can't be taken as the truth?

You haven't proven that reporting is key to becoming a moderator. You've proven that it's one of at least three others. Taken at face value, these three are equal.

"So you can't mute autotypers...k. Also, don't misquote me. I said that a mod who does not put any time/effort into modding is unfit to be a mod. NOWHERE did I say that a mod had to devote all of their time modding. "

Rules change. Personally I muted them anyway. Doing what's right isn't always doing what the rules are :lol:

The point about time was from pretty much every other debate on the topic I can remember. Players as a whole have said that both mods must devote most of their time to modding or they are unfit to be mods (and so, bad), yet if they do this they are report-happy freaks (again, bad). It's nothing personal, sorry if it seemed like it :lol:

"Yes, other people can report. But what I am saying is we are forced into this rigid system where a single slip is equal to a mute. I believe swears are useful in the English language to express your attitude. Also, don't give me that crap about venting frustration. You are clearly an informed person. Do not try to pretend you are so stupid as to think I'm raging over a mute. Let me tell you that I have conformed into this "community" in Runescape because I was requried to."

I'd agree, and a number of mods I know wouldn't penalize you for it. What usually happens is that an overzealous reporter goes around reporting every minor infraction in the hopes of becoming a mod. This then gets pinned on the actual mods. Telling, though, that these overzealous reporters aren't modded, and if they are, don't last long :lol:

When it comes to this topic I'm pretty* jaded... If you've seen that 20-some page mod debate from a while back you may know why :lol: Pavlov was right!

* 'Pretty' is used to mean 'extremely'.

Jagex are actually looking for more community leaders to be Pmods now, rather than just people who have made good reports. If you check the thread on the RSOF (QFC: 103-104-2-60722635) you'll see they are asking people to post if they are interesting in becoming Pmod, and one of the main evaluating points is how much of a community member you are, not how many reports you've made.

So while it may be an old stereotype that all Pmods are former "wanabe mods", if people took the time to read about them, they would realize it's really not the case. Of course you'll still always have the select few players who'll always shun player mods, but hopefully the Pmod image people think of will change in the future to something better. :thumbup:

I dont like mods because I can see them talk with my chat on friends.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I personally don't like being around pmods. I don't dislike them (lol double negative) but being around them makes me unnecessarily want to watch what I say. If I want to express a little anger by saying "damn that chaos elemental" I should be able to do it without the feeling that the pmod might mute me.

snipers_end.png

I personally don't like being around pmods. I don't dislike them (lol double negative) but being around them makes me unnecessarily want to watch what I say. If I want to express a little anger by saying "damn that chaos elemental" I should be able to do it without the feeling that the pmod might mute me.

Pretty a PMod won't mute you for saying a word that ins't censored as long as it isn't censored because you evaded them, of course.

If not for the last part people could have assumed you were mature enough not to need moderation :mrgreen:

I can't have been the only one thinking that.

haha, conveniently i'm also anti-maturity

;)

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

"Its simply fact. I can say with 100% certainty that the VAST majority, if not all player mods reported people to get that position. "

Is what I asked you to cite. The fact that the a number between "vast majority" and "100%" reported people in an active effort to become mods. Feel free to try to backtrack out of this point by saying that you meant that reporting is a factor in being selected, because then you just reaffirm what your source says. That is to say, nothing new.

What you did cite is:

"We consider the validity of the players abuse reports and as well as how helpful and friendly they have been to other players in the game."

Which simply shows that reporting quality is one factor, in addition to helpfulness and friendliness. Not reporting quantity. And this brings up another question... If they look at kindness and friendliness, though, doesn't that nullify the entire "only [wagon] are mods" point? Or does it mean that Jagex is lying about their selection process, in which case their statement can't be taken as the truth?

You haven't proven that reporting is key to becoming a moderator. You've proven that it's one of at least three others. Taken at face value, these three are equal.

So kindness and friendliness makes you a mod? Don't insult my intelligence. YOU know AS WELL as I KNOW that "friendliness," "kindness" and whatever the hell you want to put as an excuse that mods were picked is both unquantifiable, and simply irrational. Does Jagex looks through a random player's chat logs to see if they are helpful or kind? Do you honestly think that Jagex actually cares about how kind someone is? The second part is simply there to state that to quell the massive surge of reports that would come from wanna-be mods. Also, if those two factors help, then I would say everybody on the help sections of the Runescape forums should be made in a player mod. Being kind and helpful doesn't not help you in your duties. Someone who actively reports will have a higher chance of becoming a pmod compared to someone who gives a newbie 500gp for bronze. Here, you admit that reporting is one of the three key factors to becoming a player moderator. Even if it is 1/3, which it clearly is not, it is clear that this WILL cause people to report excessively.

"So you can't mute autotypers...k. Also, don't misquote me. I said that a mod who does not put any time/effort into modding is unfit to be a mod. NOWHERE did I say that a mod had to devote all of their time modding. "

Rules change. Personally I muted them anyway. Doing what's right isn't always doing what the rules are :lol:

The point about time was from pretty much every other debate on the topic I can remember. Players as a whole have said that both mods must devote most of their time to modding or they are unfit to be mods (and so, bad), yet if they do this they are report-happy freaks (again, bad). It's nothing personal, sorry if it seemed like it :lol:

What I'm saying is that alot of mods go report-happy to attain their status, but slack off once they have gotten their position. It is not right for someone to report excessively for that purpose.

"Yes, other people can report. But what I am saying is we are forced into this rigid system where a single slip is equal to a mute. I believe swears are useful in the English language to express your attitude. Also, don't give me that crap about venting frustration. You are clearly an informed person. Do not try to pretend you are so stupid as to think I'm raging over a mute. Let me tell you that I have conformed into this "community" in Runescape because I was requried to."

I'd agree, and a number of mods I know wouldn't penalize you for it. What usually happens is that an overzealous reporter goes around reporting every minor infraction in the hopes of becoming a mod. This then gets pinned on the actual mods. Telling, though, that these overzealous reporters aren't modded, and if they are, don't last long :lol:

This relates back to the first paragraph. Mods did, to some degree over zealously report. This is what separates them from the average player. How else would Jagex find these players?

When it comes to this topic I'm pretty* jaded... If you've seen that 20-some page mod debate from a while back you may know why :lol: Pavlov was right!

* 'Pretty' is used to mean 'extremely'.

Owned_Nex.png

You people are clueless.

I'm a mod because I put 5 years of quality play in.

I never got black marks.

I played the game the right way.

When I did report somebody it was because they were being obscene or cheating or being bots and they all got banned.

Jagex knows my reports are 100% good.

Thats why I got a crown and you clowns don't.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

*pats on head*

good boy, here's your cookie

now please leave the room while we plan the surprise party and decorate for your award ceremony

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

So kindness and friendliness makes you a mod? Don't insult my intelligence. YOU know AS WELL as I KNOW that "friendliness," "kindness" and whatever the hell you want to put as an excuse that mods were picked is both unquantifiable, and simply irrational. Does Jagex looks through a random player's chat logs to see if they are helpful or kind? Do you honestly think that Jagex actually cares about how kind someone is? The second part is simply there to state that to quell the massive surge of reports that would come from wanna-be mods. Also, if those two factors help, then I would say everybody on the help sections of the Runescape forums should be made in a player mod. Being kind and helpful doesn't not help you in your duties. Someone who actively reports will have a higher chance of becoming a pmod compared to someone who gives a newbie 500gp for bronze. Here, you admit that reporting is one of the three key factors to becoming a player moderator. Even if it is 1/3, which it clearly is not, it is clear that this WILL cause people to report excessively.

But if it is 1/3, there is no point in reporting excessively without the other two traits.

I'm going to be honest here, it would be stupid for them not to look at players' personalities in looking for mods. These are players that more or less represent them ingame, whether it was an intentional decision on their part or something players came up with. If you're running a business, you wouldn't want to hire someone blatantly unfriendly to deal with customers because that would hurt your business. It's common sense.

As for the help section part, maybe they already are mods. Another way they could find players is through the forums. It's a lot easier to sift through posts than it is to sift through reports, and a lot easier to tell who you're actually looking at from their own words than the words of a player they reported.

What I'm saying is that alot of mods go report-happy to attain their status, but slack off once they have gotten their position. It is not right for someone to report excessively for that purpose.

So would it be right to report actual rulebreakers such as password/item scammers and bots? This is what I did before being modded and I had sent maybe three or less reports. I was also active on the official forums, and I'd think that did a lot more than my reporting did. So am I the rule, the exception, or lying? :lol:

This relates back to the first paragraph. Mods did, to some degree over zealously report. This is what separates them from the average player. How else would Jagex find these players?

Again, the forums are one possibility. Especially now that they have their community focus.

I dislike the majority of player moderators for one reason: The majority of them aren't even good at moderating, AND, they don't even care.

Player moderators are players first, moderators second.. doesn't mean they need to be on the lookout constantly for things to be moderated >_>

Yh not what I meant. Overall I like mods I guess (on a personal level) but their all around usefulness is something I've never seen. I mean yea they can mute people, but they rarely do.

Why is this a problem?

But if it is 1/3, there is no point in reporting excessively without the other two traits.

I'm going to be honest here, it would be stupid for them not to look at players' personalities in looking for mods. These are players that more or less represent them ingame, whether it was an intentional decision on their part or something players came up with. If you're running a business, you wouldn't want to hire someone blatantly unfriendly to deal with customers because that would hurt your business. It's common sense.

As for the help section part, maybe they already are mods. Another way they could find players is through the forums. It's a lot easier to sift through posts than it is to sift through reports, and a lot easier to tell who you're actually looking at from their own words than the words of a player they reported.

Right, they will look at a player's personality. But who to look at? Are you just going to go around and beg for money, and mod whoever is nice to you? Obviously not. They have to find some sort of indication this person knows what they are doing. After, they look at these players and see how nice/helpful they are. Lets say, in your example, are hiring. No, you don't want to hire someone who is blatantly mean. Who would you hire? Maybe someone who has experience, and, is also nice. See the connection?

So would it be right to report actual rulebreakers such as password/item scammers and bots? This is what I did before being modded and I had sent maybe three or less reports. I was also active on the official forums, and I'd think that did a lot more than my reporting did. So am I the rule, the exception, or lying? :lol:

I don't know if you are an exception or lying. I don't care about either.

Again, the forums are one possibility. Especially now that they have their community focus.

Those on the forums gets to be a forum mod.

Owned_Nex.png

Right, they will look at a player's personality. But who to look at? Are you just going to go around and beg for money, and mod whoever is nice to you? Obviously not. They have to find some sort of indication this person knows what they are doing. After, they look at these players and see how nice/helpful they are. Lets say, in your example, are hiring. No, you don't want to hire someone who is blatantly mean. Who would you hire? Maybe someone who has experience, and, is also nice. See the connection?

And that goes to the three points that they outlined. They want players who know how to report accurately but aren't [wagon] about it. Everyone knows the problems with getting a guy with experience without the right personality, but getting someone who can't handle the technical side of the role will lead to problems regardless of how nice they are.

And that's really the point. Nobody cares enough to actually check if the rumor is true.

However, if you're looking at player mods and the player you're looking at is active on the forums, it's stupid not to check what their forum persona is like.

I go to a certain well known (previously ranked 4 overall) person's clan chat 24/7 when I'm not having to concentrate on a minigame or something. Now, about 3-4 pmods frequent this clan chat, who are all also mods of the CC. Some of the members occasionally go on spamming runs to unmuted merch clans (which have lessened now with the muting of GP Family). Last night, we were invaded by someone's clan chat, and many people spammed and evaded censors insulting people in our CC. I got in a total of about five reports, and one of the player mods handed out three well deserved mutes. The next day, I'm back in CC, and the pmod comes in.

He's muted. All because he got frustrated with the spammers, and said something to them, UNCENSORED, and NOT EVADING CENSOR, and he got muted for it.

I don't get player moderation at all.

PM me for fitocracy invite

I'd say that how a player acts says a lot more about whether they report innocents "willie nillie" than a silver crown. That being said, there is a weak correlation between that type of behavior and those fancy silver crowns.

There's nothing to do about it, deal with it I guess since you knew (or should have known) you would have to put up with that behavior if you became a moderator.

And that goes to the three points that they outlined. They want players who know how to report accurately but aren't [wagon] about it. Everyone knows the problems with getting a guy with experience without the right personality, but getting someone who can't handle the technical side of the role will lead to problems regardless of how nice they are.

Exactly. Now, what do you think they look for first? Do you think they read chat logs first or pick players to examine out of those with higher reports?

And that's really the point. Nobody cares enough to actually check if the rumor is true.

No, its that there is no proof. I don't want to just say you blatantly lie.

However, if you're looking at player mods and the player you're looking at is active on the forums, it's stupid not to check what their forum persona is like.

Right. So, like what I said above, you have ti pick people who report al ot to examine.

Owned_Nex.png

Lots of mods are probably 10 year old, power hungry children that have reported thousands of people and play 15+ hours a day.

So that's how to become a mod;

Thousands of reports,

Being 10 years old,

15+ Hours a day,

Tell people to be nice all the time.

For anyone who can't be bothered to read the above, you can be a mod by being a report obsessed 10 year old.

Good luck becoming a mod :)

Stereotype much

Also, you were ten three years ago.....

PM me for fitocracy invite

Exactly. Now, what do you think they look for first? Do you think they read chat logs first or pick players to examine out of those with higher reports?

Again with the 'higher'. I'd assume that if they look at reports first they look at quality. Again, if they modded everyone with a certain number of reports, there would be many more mods than there were at the peak and these mods would be very different kinds of people.

No, its that there is no proof. I don't want to just say you blatantly lie.

It's been done before by someone trying to make the exact same point :grin:

There's an equal amount of proof for the opposite side, that every mod sent hundreds of reports before being selected. The reason that nobody calls them out on it is that if you hate mods it's much easier to believe that all of them got that way through obsessively reporting innocent players.

Like sw0rd95's post. There's honestly no evidence for anything he said at all. It's likely that nobody is going to ask him to prove any of it, while if I made an opposite statement, I would (And have been in the past).

It's a double standard.

Right. So, like what I said above, you have ti pick people who report a lot to examine.

That's completely unrelated to what I was saying.

It's much easier to tell what someone is like by actually reading their posts. You can't tell anything about a person based on the number of reports they've sent outside of the number of reports they've sent and what they say, if anything, in the 60 second or so chat log that makes up each one.

You people are clueless.

I'm a mod because I put 5 years of quality play in.

I never got black marks.

I played the game the right way.

When I did report somebody it was because they were being obscene or cheating or being bots and they all got banned.

Jagex knows my reports are 100% good.

The unfortunate part is it takes one mod like this to convince most people that every single mod is corrupt just downright terrible. :| It hurt to read this thread, it really did.

wl7w9j.png

Because being obscene is equal to being permanently banned. Seriously what are you an infant or a nun? have you never heard people cuss before. Grow some balls and deal with it, man up and dont cwwy to jawex cawse he was mwean to mwe

I'm quite sure he wasn't stupid enough to report anyone who cursed. He'd waste his entire playing time if he does that.

The word obscene already suggests that the offender was not just playing a fool/venting frustration or anything, and that he had an intent to bully/harass/whatever.

and if someone was botting why report, Jagex super good bot detection devices should catch it instantly :rolleyes:

You're an ignoramus.

Thats why i hate mods, because they have the power to ruin someone elses fun. So what if someone is mean, their probably mean to you offline too but them being mean doesnt ruin the game as much as your account getting locked/muted does.

You're probably one of those [bleep]s who got muted by a mod or something. Your fun? So it's fun for the other player to be bullied/harassed? You might be able to deal with it because you're a [bleep] who does it yourself, but others don't, so quit being a selfish [wagon].