Magic is overpowered

howbadisbad

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't call it overpowered though. Powerful? Yes? Overpowered? Not so much. I'd say in terms of damage it's balanced. But not in terms of cost.

The cost of runes doesn't play a part in this since anyone that is a mage shouldn't be spending their bank on runes, if they are, they should go make some cash.

Also, Range is just as expensive as mage, if not more expensive, if you are using onyx bolts like xpx says should happen.

arcane_stew.png

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

Also, Range is just as expensive as mage, if not more expensive, if you are using onyx bolts like xpx says should happen.

Range is nowhere near as expensive as mage generally.

All you REALLY need is a crossbow, plus cheapy D'hide armor and stuff like that.

Mages run with far more expensive armor, arcane streams, expensive staves, runes that you CAN'T pick up. And after all that, there KO potential still pales in comparison to range and melee.

Plus, if your using onyx bolts, then you should be ripping them apart unless they are using zuriels.

O.O

Range is nowhere near as expensive as mage generally.

All you REALLY need is a crossbow, plus cheapy D'hide armor and stuff like that.

Mages run with far more expensive armor, arcane streams, expensive staves, runes that you CAN'T pick up. And after all that, there KO potential still pales in comparison to range and melee.

Plus, if your using onyx bolts, then you should be ripping them apart unless they are using zuriels.

So you are saying that low end mage gear is worse than low end range gear (which is more often not used than used) while high end mage gear beats high end range gear.

Lawl ko potential, Magic hits 48's with more accuracy and with more speed than range can hit with a crossbow and their best bolts.

Runes can be saved by a SOL and Brobes. Just like range has an accumulator. But bolts break/are left around too.

arcane_stew.png

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

Runes can be saved by a SOL and Brobes. Just like range has an accumulator. But bolts break/are left around too.

They are more expensive (ie: more risk) than the accumulator when you are talking about pking.

They dont tend to save more runes than an elemental staff either unless you treat the magic damage modifier as a value increase

(eg: +10% bonus of .an air surge is = a water surge, the extra runes used by water surge is therefore saved).

They are more expensive (ie: more risk) than the accumulator when you are talking about pking.

They dont tend to save more runes than an elemental staff either unless you treat the magic damage modifier as a value increase

(eg: +10% bonus of .an air surge is = a water surge, the extra runes used by water surge is therefore saved).

I know I was just saying magic saves cash too.

In terms of xp per gp barrage with sol and brobes should be more efficiant than chinning though.

arcane_stew.png

Lawl ko potential, Magic hits 48's with more accuracy and with more speed than range can hit with a crossbow and their best bolts.

I dont know where your getting 48's from...

Just what crazy gear is this? Or is this going to be a minigame like castle wars?

So you are saying that low end mage gear is worse than low end range gear (which is more often not used than used) while high end mage gear beats high end range gear.

And more often not used? Are you kidding me?

PVP is expensive, most people go welfare, a ranger can spend less than 150k on things like 15 d bolts, d'hide, and rune xbow and still do into the 50's by just random lucky specs, while the actual DPS on the weapon still stays quite high.

The most you can mage welfare is nothing on range welfare. spend 150k on mage gear and you will get a joke coming out the other side.

Sure, in terms of high end gear, when mages risk arcane streams that take upwards of 6-8 hours to get, full ahrims, zuriels, plus KO weapons like claws, etc, they may rip crappy welfare rangers apart, but hey, advanced hybriding > pure range anyday.

And SOL? Battlerobes!?! Seriously?! Are you trying to troll me?

That things incredibly expensive, and even then only saves 1/8th of the runes. Battlerobes cost 1.6 million GP on GE, oh thats not too bad... Until you realize that no one sells them, and that they need constant recharging, By comparison an accumulator may as well be free, and saves loads of ammo, and even if it didnt, you can just pick up the damn ammo anyway.

Bolts break rarely, sure, but runes dissapear, period, and without super expensive weaponry/robes, ALL THE TIME.

O.O

Just what crazy gear is this?

Staff of light, Chaotic staff, arcane stream necklace, magic potions, extreme magic potions, wolpertinger scrolls.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Just what crazy gear is this? Or is this going to be a minigame like castle wars?

And more often not used? Are you kidding me?

PVP is expensive, most people go welfare, a ranger can spend less than 150k on things like 15 d bolts, d'hide, and rune xbow and still do into the 50's by just random lucky specs, while the actual DPS on the weapon still stays quite high.

The most you can mage welfare is nothing on range welfare. spend 150k on mage gear and you will get a joke coming out the other side.

Sure, in terms of high end gear, when mages risk arcane streams that take upwards of 6-8 hours to get, full ahrims, zuriels, plus KO weapons like claws, etc, they may rip crappy welfare rangers apart, but hey, advanced hybriding > pure range anyday.

And SOL? Battlerobes!?! Seriously?! Are you trying to troll me?

That things incredibly expensive, and even then only saves 1/8th of the runes. Battlerobes cost 1.6 million GP on GE, oh thats not too bad... Until you realize that no one sells them, and that they need constant recharging, By comparison an accumulator may as well be free, and saves loads of ammo, and even if it didnt, you can just pick up the damn ammo anyway.

Bolts break rarely, sure, but runes dissapear, period, and without super expensive weaponry/robes, ALL THE TIME.

Lawl with sol + robes you save 65% of runes then tome of frost (if you have that many leftover tokens?)

I guess magic is just for the elite?

arcane_stew.png

nope sol + robes is half

Yes, the effect if you combine a Staff of Light with battle robes is 50%. But on top of that, any time the staff does not save your runes, the robes themselves will still have their usual chance of saving you any mind, chaos, death or blood runes making the rune saving ability 65%.

But there are still problems in PvM... we can't combine a hexcrest or full slayer helm with battle robes. The set effect only lasts for 6000 casts before it needs recharging while ava's accumulator doesn't need to be recharged. And magic potions need a change in my opinion. It only boosts our level by 5 levels so we have to repot almost every minute to maintain a good hit. And most bosses have a ridiculous high magic defence. And we spend so many inventory spaces for runes.

A good solution for these issues would be if we could combine a battle robe hood with a hexcrest or full slayer helm. Or change the way the set effect works. Make the rune saving ability 50% instead of 65% if we don't wear a battle robe hood. This way, we'll have a max hit that is on par with Melee and still be cost efficient on most slayer tasks. The robes could have a permanent effect but will require a higher amount of tokens to be purchased. Or make them last longer before they need recharging. Normal magic potions should boost your Magic level by 15 levels with a 1% increase on your max hit for every boosted level. You still won't be able to cast higher levelled spells that aren't within 5 levels of your Magic level. Or they could remove that ability completely. Extreme magic potions and Wolpertingers boost your level by 17 levels. This way we won't have to repot all the time. And finally, release a pouch (possibly from Dungeoneering) that can store your runes. It can be equipped in the ammo slot.

nope sol + robes is half

Yes, the effect if you combine a Staff of Light with battle robes is 50%. But on top of that, any time the staff does not save your runes, the robes themselves will still have their usual chance of saving you any mind, chaos, death or blood runes making the rune saving ability 65%.

But there are still problems in PvM... we can't combine a hexcrest or full slayer helm with battle robes. The set effect only lasts for 6000 casts before it needs recharging while ava's accumulator doesn't need to be recharged. And magic potions need a change in my opinion. It only boosts our level by 5 levels so we have to repot almost every minute to maintain a good hit. And most bosses have a ridiculous high magic defence. And we spend so many inventory spaces for runes.

A good solution for these issues would be if we could combine a battle robe hood with a hexcrest or full slayer helm. Or change the way the set effect works. Make the rune saving ability 50% instead of 65% if we don't wear a battle robe hood. This way, we'll have a max hit that is on par with Melee and still be cost efficient on most slayer tasks. The robes could have a permanent effect but will require a higher amount of tokens to be purchased. Or make them last longer before they need recharging. Normal magic potions should boost your Magic level by 15 levels with a 1% increase on your max hit for every boosted level. You still won't be able to cast higher levelled spells that aren't within 5 levels of your Magic level. Or they could remove that ability completely. Extreme magic potions and Wolpertingers boost your level by 17 levels. This way we won't have to repot all the time. And finally, release a pouch (possibly from Dungeoneering) that can store your runes. It can be equipped in the ammo slot.

Slayer masters should provide their own version of battle robes that go with the Slayer helm. I personally have no problem with battle robes, but they just don't last long enough and take a while to recharge.

As for the magic potion issue, Jagex can fix that by simply making all the potions drop their boosts in the same time. Someone using a magic potion should have their level drop to normal in the same amount of time a melee user has his levels dropped to normal. Just my 2 pennies

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png

When rangers start risking 8m worth of stuff and a item that takes 30k dungeoneering points, then they can get more power.

Until then. No, magic needs to have their 15 minutes of fame.

Too bad there is nothing range has that can make it that good. Except void... but without a divine thats a terrible idea :L

arcane_stew.png

Lawl with sol + robes you save 65% of runes then tome of frost (if you have that many leftover tokens?)

I guess magic is just for the elite?

I'm pretty sure its more like 50%

And even THEN its still more expensive than ranged at 1-4k per cast. And thats just the cost of the runes, let alone the aforementioned super expensive staff of light, battlerobes, and a tome of frost.

If anyone risks that much in PVP, then they deserve to kick more ass than 150k welfare ranger.

I get that theres not that much high quality range gear, and not much differentiation between ranger risking 150k and ranger risking 1.5 mill, but dont go nerfing very expensive magic that requires very good hybriding skills, just because welfare range cant keep up.

Instead, ask for range to get high quality gear.

O.O

Range has been asking for ages.

arcane_stew.png

Range has been asking for ages.

Mage also needs low quality gear :D

That being said, ranged really isnt that bad off, it gets very respectable KO potential as well as good DPS out of very cheap weaponry, and higher level KO weaponry like dark bows do exist.

It gets nothing special in terms of special effects like magic, and its KO potential generally gets stomped on by melee, but its a good middle ground.

O.O

I lol at all of these threads by howbadisbad. You obviously have no clue what your talking about.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I lol at all of these threads by howbadisbad. You obviously have no clue what your talking about.

Wana provide some evidence?

arcane_stew.png

this thread. Its not overpowered, its balanced with melee and range is underpowered.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

this thread. Its not overpowered, its balanced with melee and range is underpowered.

range is underpowered is equivalent to mage being overpowered :L

arcane_stew.png

Magic is nowhere near overpowered. The fact is that all the powerful "end-game" weapons are all ridiculously powerful, some belonging to melee, others to ranged. The fact that Magic seemingly got "overpowered"with the Arcane Stream necklace, despite the only way to use it at its best is to go absolutely all out with 99 Magic and one of the best Magic offensive bonuses possible, actually means Magic is much closer to being balanced in power then being overpowered. Magic is once again close to where it should be in the combat triangle.

To help you understand, nuclear weapons are overpowered. One country can have 5 nuclear warheads. Another has 5. The third country has 2 or 3 nuclear weapons, meaning there's no balance of power between those three countries. Said country builds 3 more nuclear warheads to keep up the balance of power between them.

Magic may be "overpowered" on the surface, but it's actually a balance of power in respect to the damage melee and ranged can do (which were superior to magic before this update). Not to mention you have to go 100% all out w/stream Necklace and the best Magic boosting gear to even match the brokeness you can inflict with Ranged and Melee w/o even trying. which means Magic is actually barely balanced with Ranged and Melee now.

A player with level 86 strength with a 148 Strength Bonus (Armadyl Godsword, Dragon Gauntlets, Dragon Boots, Helm of Neitiznot, Amulet of Glory) with Ultimate Strength prayer, Super Strength Potion and AGS special can potentially inflict 580 damage.

99 Magic, which is a lot longer to get, with Arcane Stream necklace and the best offensive Magic bonus possible, can hit over 600 with Ice Barrage. The player with the same strength-boosting gear but with 99 strength can hit 676...which is about the absolute maximum Magic can hit with one attack. Melee can hit even higher with a maximum +205 strength bonus and 99 strength, inflicting over 900 damage, with a single AGS special. Ranged can two hit someone with over 900 hp in a single special: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzpanCqXuL4 (old HP system).

You think Magic is overpowered? Not by a longshot.

and lol@people saying Ranged is underpowered. Ranged generally dominates melee in the PvP triangle and can freakin' 2 hit people with 1 DarkBow special.

That is not right.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Magic is nowhere near overpowered. The fact is that all the powerful "end-game" weapons are all ridiculously powerful, some belonging to melee, others to ranged. range has no endgame weapons, lul.The fact that Magic seemingly got "overpowered"with the Arcane Stream necklace, despite the only way to use it at its best is to go absolutely all out with 99 Magic and one of the best Magic offensive bonuses possible, actually means Magic is much closer to being balanced in power then being overpowered. Magic is once again close to where it should be in the combat triangle.

To help you understand, nuclear weapons are overpowered. One country can have 5 nuclear warheads. Another has 5. The third country has 2 or 3 nuclear weapons, meaning there's no balance of power between those three countries. Said country builds 3 more nuclear warheads to keep up the balance of power between them. Since this doesn't make sense

Magic may be "overpowered" on the surface, but it's actually a balance of power in respect to the damage melee and ranged can do (which were superior to magic before this update). Not to mention you have to go 100% all out w/stream Necklace and the best Magic boosting gear to even match the brokeness you can inflict with Ranged and Melee w/o even trying. which means Magic is actually barely balanced with Ranged and Melee now.Magic has the highest DPS in the game. l2pk

A player with level 86 strength with a 148 Strength Bonus (Armadyl Godsword, Dragon Gauntlets, Dragon Boots, Helm of Neitiznot, Amulet of Glory) with Ultimate Strength prayer, Super Strength Potion and AGS special can potentially inflict 580 damage. someone with 94 mage can hit nearly as high with much more accuracy and speed

99 Magic, which is a lot longer to get, with Arcane Stream necklace and the best offensive Magic bonus possible, can hit over 600 with Ice Barrage. The player with the same strength-boosting gear but with 99 strength can hit 676...which is about the absolute maximum Magic can hit with one attack. Melee can hit even higher with a maximum +205 strength bonus and 99 strength, inflicting over 900 damage, with a single AGS special. Ranged can two hit someone with over 900 hp in a single special: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzpanCqXuL4 (old HP system). CAN is the keyword here.

You think Magic is overpowered? Not by a longshot. lawl you have no idea what you are talking about

and lol@people saying Ranged is underpowered. Ranged generally dominates melee in the PvP triangle and can freakin' 2 hit people with 1 DarkBow special.

That is not right. Wow you have obviously never pked before or have had almost no experience with it, I can tell just by this statement.

This is coming form a guy with 58 mage and 65 range. Nice.

arcane_stew.png