does defence really useless???

Qoo

Yes! If you train your defence you can wear different sortds of armour! I have lvl 40 defence and I can wear rune! And it realy helps. Monsters were hitting me 5, 6, 7 or 8 all the time, and now 3 is rare. So it realy does help!

Please notice that i'm only a noob, so monsters would hit me much more than the 'normal' people. Course I don't know your lvl, but I know it helps. So train it if you feel like it! Succes with killing'em! An'pleas'don'quote'it!

Abba Killer

Combat 52

Defence 40

Member of RuneScape

Look... If you would train Defence to Level-99, the Monsters, etc. that you attack will be able to hit you like if you have Level-1 Defence... But they will hit it much less than with Level-1 Defence. The point is that if you train your Defence to a high Level, it will reduce the times that the Monsters, etc. will hit you.

:D :D :D :D :D

Here's what I say:

You can be like the majority of Runescape's Meleers and be and idiot and train nothing but strength, so you can hit hard, but less, and be hit more...

...or you can train Attack, Strength, and Defense EQUALLY and be a well-balanced fighter. Honestly, the people who train to strength like 25 levels above defense are the ones that get owned SO easily when up against high leveled monsters and whatnot.

Honestly...try killing the Kalphite Queen with low defense....I dare you. :wink:

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

I love defence. I decided to get all my combat stats to eighty. I started with attack, deence and str at 70. Strength's now 80, I'm gonig for 80 defence now. Allready at 72 or 73. Then I'll do attack and then...*sigh*.. prayer.

kolsig20kl.png

I've stopped playing RuneScape. KoL's better.

A Ranger requires defence to wear the best body armour sections, though all other parts of the armour generally require only ranged level.

Since ranged armour also has bonuses in attack, this is one case where defence level is adouble edged sword, especially if planning on being P2P, as all higher dragonhides still only need 40 defence.

Yes it is useful.... no matter what u need it pures with low def suck at training they have to use tons of food......So get ur def equal to your other stats and ull be a good warrior :wink:

Exactly. I have a pure with 50 def and only 61 ranged. All the pures with 70 ranged and 1 def will always say "Def noob, I 0wn J00!!!", but what's funny is that very shortly after they they all seem to tele for some reason...

In fact, the only time I've been owned by a pure of a reasonably close level is when a level 61 with 1 def and 91 ranged attacked me. :shock:

But as a general rule: def is about as important as any of the other stats. With low def and higher att and str...you might be able to hit higher, but it's not as though you can hit when you're forced to eat constantly.

124 Combat

Retired Echo of Silence Council

http://rseos.com/forums/

on the last 3 days ive trained from 50 def to 60 other stats are 60 att and 69 str.

from 50 def to 60 def ive noticed i use less than half the food i did training with 50 def.

so yes defence helps greatly.

The basic rule is that 1 combat level is:

3 levels of A+S

2 levels of Range

2 Levels of magic (Only the highest of these counts)

4 levels of hitpoints

4 levels of defence

8 levels of prayer.

Assuming close to equal combat levels (low level wilderness) the low defence pures hit hard for their level, but they will be hit often.

With higher defence, especially if you can and do wear better armour that is effective against the attack you face, you will be hit less often, but will not hit as hard.

The issue of prayer is simpler - a little bit of prayer is WORTHLESS - it doesn't last long, and it doesn't give a large enough advantage, so unless you just want to level out of the aggressive range of a monster, prayer needs a commitment to make it a powerful aid to combat

3 levels of A+S

2 levels of Range

2 Levels of magic (Only the highest of these counts)

4 levels of hitpoints

4 levels of defence

8 levels of prayer.

Assuming close to equal combat levels (low level wilderness) the low defence pures hit hard for their level, but they will be hit often.

With higher defence, especially if you can and do wear better armour that is effective against the attack you face, you will be hit less often, but will not hit as hard.

The issue of prayer is simpler - a little bit of prayer is WORTHLESS - it doesn't last long, and it doesn't give a large enough advantage, so unless you just want to level out of the aggressive range of a monster, prayer needs a commitment to make it a powerful aid to combat

how can you say prayer is useless. i will admit against players it isn't as good. But against some npc's it can win or lose the fight. just because prayer training is hard and boring doesn't mean it is useless

intermissiontintdawg7qfedit28b.jpg

Your true character is what you are like when you believe there are no repercussions.

defense is extremely useful, not only in the fact that you can use different kinds of armour, but that it does reduce how much is hit on you; one thing that should be noted, however: if you attacking a creature that only hits with magic, a high magic level will determine what you are hit more than defense will; I am not sure if the same goes for ranging, but I think that it does.

defense is extremely useful, not only in the fact that you can use different kinds of armour, but that it does reduce how much is hit on you; one thing that should be noted, however: if you attacking a creature that only hits with magic, a high magic level will determine what you are hit more than defense will; I am not sure if the same goes for ranging, but I think that it does.

No it reduces how often you are hit. you can still get hit by a max hit, but you won't get hit as often.

Your true character is what you are like when you believe there are no repercussions.

-snip-

8 levels of prayer.

how can you say prayer is useless. i will admit against players it isn't as good. But against some npc's it can win or lose the fight. just because prayer training is hard and boring doesn't mean it is useless

LOW prayer levels ARE pretty useless...

For the first 8 (1 combat level), you can add 5% to all all melee combat stat, but it won't last long)

The point is, that if you are going to use prayer as one of your main stats, then you need to be in it for the long haul - either none at all, or as much as you can.

My balanced has 39 prayer, and whacking the dark mages while using protect from magic is a nice supply of extra runes.

A bit of prayer, just wastes a combat level or 2, so don't plan on prayer unless you plan on hitting the "guild level" of 31, so you can take the +2 recharge.

A full set of protect from's (level 43) is truly awesome against npc's - that has to be the ultimate target if you use prayer.

For the first 8 (1 combat level), you can add 5% to all all melee combat stat, but it won't last long)

The point is, that if you are going to use prayer as one of your main stats, then you need to be in it for the long haul - either none at all, or as much as you can.

My balanced has 39 prayer, and whacking the dark mages while using protect from magic is a nice supply of extra runes.

A bit of prayer, just wastes a combat level or 2, so don't plan on prayer unless you plan on hitting the "guild level" of 31, so you can take the +2 recharge.

A full set of protect from's (level 43) is truly awesome against npc's - that has to be the ultimate target if you use prayer.

:roll: everyone knows that lower prayers are useless i was talking about protect prayers. Obviously the strengthen prayers aren't that good. Talk to a bunch of high lvl meleer's and they will tell the benefits of prayer.

:roll: everyone knows that lower prayers are useless i was talking about protect prayers. Obviously the strengthen prayers aren't that good. Talk to a bunch of high lvl meleer's and they will tell the benefits of prayer.

That's not true at all, either. Prayer is VERY useful...but I can understand why someone with low prayer would find it useless.

The 10% bonus prayers are extremely good. For example, you can drink a super defense potion for 20% more defense, put on say, a melee protect prayer, and then switch on the 10% defense prayer. Think of it...it's almost like you're 80% more protected from melee players in the wilderness than you are with JUST the protect prayer. Yes, it uses up more prayer points faster, but that's a small price to pay if it helps you obtain those precious seconds that can determine who wins or loses the battle.

Also, the higher your level, the more prayer potions restore. I have 66 prayer, and with the holy wrench and 1 dose of prayer potion, I can restore 24 prayer poins, which is 96 prayer points in one 4-dose potion. This can be quite helpful when up against monsters that require more time to kill. The holy wrench, however, is only worth it when you have more than 13 or 14 potions. I personally think it's a great way to gain some extra prayer points in the fight caves, especially when you're using Saradmon Brews as food. Think of this:

Bring 8 or so saradmon brews at level 99 hp. That's 544 hp in 10 inventory slots.

Bring 15+ prayer pots with a holy wrench. This will give you 120 more prayer points than 15 potions WITHOUT the wrench would. It all depends on your prayer level, however...so you really need to calculate it before you attempt it.

Anyways, those are just a FEW ways prayer is extremely important. People who don't train it I find are the ones who normally can't afford it, or are misinformed of exactly how useful it really can be.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png