Blue Dragon Ranging Guide - For profit and XP

Nomrombom

Bloo Draggin! FTW!

300px-Bluedragon.png

Blue dragons are an excellent source of money and experience. Money is mainly gathered through the bones and hides they drop every time, and experience because of their high LP and low range defence. One can easily make over 500k an hour here, with over 50k experience gained as well. So, let's get started with the basics: stats and equipment.

Stats - Recommended, Blue Dragons

---You---

Range - At least 61, preferably 65 or more, 61 being needed for the rune crossbow

That's it, really, although you will need to have completed the Watchtower quest to access the dragons, which has other requirements.

---Blue Dragon---

-Combat 111

-1050 Lifepoints

Equipment needed

bluedraghuntequip.png

This is what your equipment should look like. This is not the ideal setup - I have provided a flowchart for you to show the best setup.

Helm - Void^ > Pernix* > Armadyl** > Robin Hood hat > Archer helm > FOG coif (Focus Sight/Full Slayer Helm trumps all if the dragons are a slayer assignment!)

Amulet - Amulet of ranging (15 range bonus) > Fury (10 range bonus) > Glory > Power

Body - Void^ > Pernix* > Armadyl** > Third Age/Karil's/Blessed d'hide > Best d'hide you can wear

Legs - Void^ > Pernix* > Armadyl** > Third Age/Karil's/Blessed d'hide > Best d'hide you can wear

Boots - Ranger Boots > Snakeskin boots

Gloves - Void^ > Mercenary Gloves*** > Barrows Gloves > Black D'hide Vambs > Red D'hide Vambs > Dragon Gloves = Blue D'hide Vambs

Shield - Unholy book > Book of Balance > Anti-dragon shield

Cape - Ava's Alerter > Ava's accumulator > Ava's attractor > Fire Cape

Weapon - Chaotic C'bow > Rune C'bow/Crystal Bow > Zanik's C'bow > Bone C'bow

Ring - Archers' ring (i) > Onyx Ring (i) > Archers' ring > Dragonstone Ring (i) > Ring of Wealth > Ring of Life

* Pernix is the best armor in terms of bonuses, but it is extremely expensive and out of the affordable range for most players (~635m set), plus it degrades. Of course, like the Zaryte bow, if you have Pernix you probably can do much better than blue dragons, but I listed it anyway, for fun... or something. :razz:

** Armadyl helm, plate, and skirt would be the best for most range levels, other than void, but the set is fairly expensive (~31m set)

*** Mercenary Gloves are obtained from Dungeoneering tokens, and require 73 Range and 73 Dungeoneering , which makes them very difficult to obtain, although they give the most range bonus of any gloves in the game. Barrows Gloves give only one less bonus, but are much easier to obtain, making Barrows gloves a much more recommended choice.

**** I did not list Zaryte bow, simply because if you actually acquire a Zaryte bow, you know full well what you are doing and do not need this guide to help you :thumbup:

^ I've been told Void is better than everything. I have no idea if this is true, as I don't have void and don't plan on getting it anytime soon. But a lot of people have said it, including mods so I'll take your words for it.

If I were to recommend a setup, I would go with Archer Helm/Full Slayer Helm/Focus Sight, Karil's, Fury for higher end players (glory for lower), Snakeskin boots, Barrows gloves or black d'hide vambs, Unholy book, Ava's Alerter, Rune C'bow, and Archer's ring. This provides a good mix of higher end items and lower end items at a reasonable price.

I like to bring an EE along for the spec instead of using food. It restores fast enough to not need food and it gives a good amount of HP, plus it takes up only one spot.

---Inventory---

bluedraginventory.png

One click teleport, a small amount of food for emergencies and luring mess ups, and an enchanted gem if Blues are your slayer task. I highly recommend taking a EE instead of food. You don't pay for any food and it heals more than most food. Special bar usually restores faster than needed.

---Ammunition---

Broad tipped bolts are the best choice. They are as strong as adamant and cost much less. You can buy them unfinished for coins from a Slayer Master and fit feathers on yourself after buying that ability with 300 slayer points, you can buy 250 of them for 35 slayer points, or buy them for 132gp each on the Grand Exchange. I suggest either fletching them or buying on the GE. Mithril bolts also work, but are not as strong and cost 6gp more per bolt. However, if you don't have 55 slayer, you cannot use them.

Location, location, location.

The Ogre Enclave is the only viable option for blue dragons, as the Taverley dungeon and the Heroes' Guild basement dragons are very crowded, have many bots, and it is difficult to find an open world, as well as having Baby blue dragons that are aggressive to people under 97 combat. In addition, after the return of free wilderness, scores of people have migrated from the now dangerous green dragons to the safer blues, and they generally go to the Taverley dungeon for this. I HIGHLY suggest not going there. But if you can access the dungeoneering resource room, requiring 60 dung, you cut down vastly on the number of competitors and can make upwards of 600k an hour.

Red Route - Ring of Dueling

Blue Route - Mithril Grapple

Black Route - Running

Purple Route - House Teleport

Yellow Route - Watchtower Teleport

bluedragroutes.png

I usually use the running route, as I like to keep things simple, although if I want to be more efficient I will sometimes use the grapple route. If you choose to use the Watchtower teleport route, you should bring stacks of earth and law runes, as one WT teleport uses two earths and two laws. One can also use a house teleport if they have a house in Yanille, which would also allow use of prayer if you have an altar in your house as well. Or you can use a ring of Kinship to teleport to Daemonheim, bank, and teleport to house or duel back to Cwars. There are many different ways, find what suits you best.

ogreenclave.png

There are six Blue Dragons in the cave, and they are spread out. It is a NON MULTI COMBAT area, so you don't need to be worried about being piled. There are also caged Greaters, one free Greater in the northwest corner, and Ogre Chieftains around the cave which are not aggressive. I would try to take the dragon closest to the entrance as the safespots are numerous and you are pretty isolated and therefore are unlikely to get surprised or attacked by something else.

---The Mechanics of Safe-spotting Blues and Ava's Device---

An NPC cannot enter a square taken up by another object with one of the NPC's own squares. This is what prevents monsters from walking through rocks and walls, and the same for us. However, your player takes up only ONE square, whereas a dragon takes up NINE squares (3x3 area). Why is this advantageous? Because of one of the quirks of Ava's Device.

straightlinebluedrag.png

Here, there is a straight, open line between me and the dragon. Ava's Device CAN pick up my bolts because I could walk right up to the dragon without changing direction.

notstraightlinebluedrag.png

Here, that same straight line that Ava's Device would use is blocked by the red x - a square occupied by the pillar between me and the dragon. Ava's Device CANNOT pick up my bolts because I would need to change direction to get to the dragon in melee distance.

Note that Blue Dragons cannot hit you with melee or dragon breath if you are not within melee range, which makes safespotting them so useful and eliminates the need to eat regularly.

---The Prizes---

Our 100% drop prizes are dragon bones and blue dragonhides. The Dbones should be kept to train prayer, or you can sell them for about 6.2k each either for cash or to buy the more cost effective infernal ashes to use for prayer. The dragonhides can either be tanned and crafted and then sold, or just sold for about 2.5k each. You will also get common drops of Green charms and water runes (75), both of which you should take. You should also take:

-Rune dagger (worth more than hide at 4.6k)

-Rune spear (12k)

-15 Natures, generally get multiple of these per trip (2.2k)

-Dragon Spear (40k)

-Shield left half (67k)

-D Med (60k)

-All charms

-grimy herbs, Lantadyme > Dwarf Weed > Ranarr > Avantoe > Kwuarm in order of highest priority to lowest

-uncut gems if ruby or diamond

-clue scroll (hard)

-Bass (you can eat this if you messed up luring)

-Key halves (18k loop, 48k teeth)

-Dragon egg (99 summ. required)

-Effigies

Charms

No charms - 51-53%

Gold charm - 10-11%

Green charm - 25-26%

Crimson charm - 9-10%

Blue charm - 2-3%

Blue dragon are good for green charms and are decent for crimson and gold. There are better alternatives for all three, but if you're going to kill blues anyway you might as well get some charms while you're at it.

PM me for fitocracy invite

A few pointers:

Best ammo is of course the Broad bolt.

You should insert armadyl in the flow chart as well since it is great armour and not impossible for one to achieve. Even the richer fews might use this.

There are blue dragons in Taverley Dungeon to, include them I'd say. Heck perhaps even compare them (that would be something new)

Void is probably the best at around 85 ranged or higher.

Include BoB familiars.

Perhaps take both the shield AND an unholy book to switch back and forth. Some might like this.

Fury > Amulet of Ranging

Many of the imbued rings from MA are better then the ring of wealth / RoL. Perhaps name it.

Include the route via your house if you have it in Yanille. Also even possible to bank with your servant! The Ardougne Diaries also places your Watchtower teleport to inside the city and pretty darn close to the bank!

Ah well ;) My rambling. Some good stuff in here, yet nothing really adds 'the wow factor'. It can grow into something good though :)

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

A few pointers:

You should insert armadyl in the flow chart as well since it is great armour and not impossible for one to achieve. Even the richer fews might use this.

There are blue dragons in Taverley Dungeon to, include them I'd say. Heck perhaps even compare them (that would be something new)

Include BoB familiars.

Perhaps take both the shield AND an unholy book to switch back and forth. Some might like this.

Fury > Amulet of Ranging

Many of the imbued rings from MA are better then the ring of wealth / RoL. Perhaps name it.

Include the route via your house if you have it in Yanille. Also even possible to bank with your servant! The Ardougne Diaries also places your Watchtower teleport to inside the city and pretty darn close to the bank!

Ah well ;) My rambling. Some good stuff in here, yet nothing really adds 'the wow factor'. It can grow into something good though :)

Thanks a ton. I added a bunch of your suggestions to my guide. :^_^:

However, Amulet of Ranging *is* better than the fury by 5 range attack bonus. I mentioned Tav dungeon and my reason for not including a guide on ranging them.

Everything else was really helpful though. Thanks :razz:

[hide]

A few pointers:

Include BoB familiars.

Fury > Amulet of Ranging

Thanks a ton. I added a bunch of your suggestions to my guide. :^_^:

However, Amulet of Ranging *is* better than the fury by 5 range attack bonus. I mentioned Tav dungeon and my reason for not including a guide on ranging them.

Everything else was really helpful though. Thanks :razz:

[/hide]

You are absolutely right on the amulet of ranging. My bad there.

Also, I do think you should mention the use of Beasts of Burden to increase the length per trip. Also another option could be Duel ring to Castle Wars, a great option to bank as well. Seeing the ring slot is often open, the teleport is cheap and doesn't take inventory.

The food is usually overkill. If you even get hit at all, the occasional food drop from the dragons themselves suffice or you could fill up your health at the bank with salmon/tuna/trouts.

Loving this guide so far :) Getting nice and viable.

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A few pointers:

Include BoB familiars.

Fury > Amulet of Ranging

Why would fury > ranging amulet when you are safespotting ^.-?

Crybaby111.png

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest;

Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

- Confucius

• 3 weeks later...

Just one question, I've found crystal bow to be superior to the rune crossbow here, since although the crossbow hits harder the crystal bow hits much faster and just as accurately. Perhaps you could look into it?

other than that, this looks like a great guide. :)

Taihaku.png

Taihaku.png

4073.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How about the new resource dungeon with Blue Dragons? Are you going to add those in your guide too?

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Decent Start, not alot of guides on ranging blue dragons out there for the most part. Several things to add however,

1. Void is the best range armour to use if you have it and are not on task. Not sure what level it becomes the best at, I used it starting at 80.

2. Add a note about prayers, myself at 75 prayer can use eagle eye and fill up my inv and a terror bird right about the time I hit 7-15 prayer points.

3. The route I used for said prayer method was bank at deamonheim (free tele's I'm cheap), tele to house to recharge prayer, exit my house as its in yanille, run to the dungeon and fill up summoning points along the way if I'm low. I averaged about 440 k/hr that way.

4. Compare and contrast the other areas for ranging blue dragons. I'm curious as to how good the new spot is in the resource dungeon.

5. Broad bolts are most definitely the most cost effective ammo to use.

Trolling by giving good advice since April 2011.

The Blog - Currently Cleaning Herbs

Bladewing.png

• 6 months later...

i doubt that pernix armor is better for blue dragons than void ranged.

And to add to this, I did lol at the suggestion of pernix. Like anyone with Pernix doesn't have vastly superior money-making ventures at their disposal.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Although it might seem counterintuitive at first, you really should be praying at all times when you're fighting. Ranging blues is no expection.

At minimum, you should be praying hawk/eagle eye, if not Rigour. It seems at first that the ppot costs will cut into your profits, but the quicker kills not only will more than pay for the few extra potions, but will also grant more xp than you would've gotten without praying, which is worth something as well.

I walked by going to black demons, saw about 20 people in that room. About 15 were bots wearing the same armor lol

Which is why I never recommend Tav dungeon for Blues unless you're just doing babies.

• 3 weeks later...
i doubt that pernix armor is better for blue dragons than void ranged.
And to add to this, I did lol at the suggestion of pernix. Like anyone with Pernix doesn't have vastly superior money-making ventures at their disposal.

Those with Pernix will probably be out hunting for Pernix drops :P

Unhesitating.png

• 1 year later...

Hey awesome guide it helped out alot, but one question: you guys talked about "EE" what is this as im curious and do not know other than that great guide.

[item=8437]

Hedgehog, you mean to link to: [item=8437] right? :P

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"