Little nitpick about Bows

hobobob7

Runescape people all weild swords, maces, axes, staffs, etc. in their right hands. This means that Runescape people are all Right-handed, correct?

However, runescape people also hold bows in their right hand and pulls the arrow back with their left. Anyone who has ever shot a bow knows that a right-handed person holds the bow in their LEFT hand and pulls the arrow back with their RIGHT.

My suggestion: make it so that bows are held in the left hand.

It'll never get implemented, but meh.

Or make the weapon and shield slots into right hand and left hand slots, so people can choose which hand they wish to hold weapons/shields. This would also help the idea of dual wielding.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

Runescape people also tend to fight in melee and fire their bows while facing the enemy with their fronts. Anyone who's ever used a weapon in combat or fired a bow will know that you're less likely to injure yourself or fall over if you're doing it with one side leading - the bow hand (normally the left), the shield-arm, sword-hand if not using a shield, and the higher hand when using a two-handed weapon. You present a smaller profile and get better balance that way.

Well, you can't trust JAGeX to know much about actual combat...

I've also noticed this...and another strange thing.

You know how the bows are on the legs? Well, I used some rune/mith/addy arrows recently, and the arrowhead color doesnt change at all. Should be able to see what kind of arrows you're using, since with armor, u can see what you're using :?

i think you should change it so that bows are held in left hand because every thing is right handed and and your spose to pull bow back with your dominate hand please fix

i will send this to runescape

I think all this is pointless.

Indeed, JAGeX has once again royally screwed up with how combat looks in real life, despite that RS happens not to be. If this troubles you, then check out some old screenshots from (now) RSC.

Seriously, this is simply nitpicking over nothing that matters. Just relax and enjoy the game.

Abutebaris modo subjunctivo denuo.

newscapere4.gif

grammar2gr8dx.png

How about this:

Granite mauls are held with the wrong hand. The left hand is on top, when it should be a right hand on top.

Try holding an imaginary maul right now, which hand on top feels more natural?

kolsig20kl.png

I've stopped playing RuneScape. KoL's better.

Actually, two-handed weapons usually take the off-hand above the main hand. With two hands, you don't actually need to worry so much about the dominant hand, but what you DO need to worry about more is presenting a larger profile. Leading with your off-side would mean that you would want to lead with the weapon as well, otherwise you're covering nothing. If you lead with your dominant, you'll have a hell of a time balancing because it just doesn't FEEL natural.

For example, pike formations always nead with their left, to ensure unit cohesion (everyone's facing the right way) and to make sure that when the midden hits the windmill, their right arms aren't going to get cut off. Also, the strength of the dominant hand is useful for bracing weapons for either setting against charges, or in the case of halberds, greatswords, etc., for holding the thing steady. You want your strongest hand at the pommel or nearer to the butt of the haft to counteract the imbalance there, and to give more leverage to the left hand which is AT the balance. Moving the half of a greatsword's hilt near the pommel effectively means you control the balance of the weapon, because you're movnig that counterweight around and using your off-hand as a fulcrum.

Back on JAGeX and messing up, it does matter. Suspension of disbelief. You can't honestly expect me to take it seriously when a veteran combatant makes back-handed swings from base to chief with a greatsword.

I find it funny when people discuss the realism of fantasy games or movies, and forget to mention that the entire thing is unrealistic.

You are in a world where you fight monsters that gives something called 'xp' that teaches you different skills, there are DRAGONS, UNICORNS, and TROLLS.

When you punch someone, big number appears in fornt of them, lowering their 'hitpoints' and when ther 'hitpoints' reaches 0, they die. Eating a lobster MAGICALLY heals you. You can can teleport with 'magical spells' but not if someone casts 'tb' on you.

I could go on and on, but I prefer not to.

I find it funny when people discuss the realism of fantasy games or movies, and forget to mention that the entire thing is unrealistic.

You are in a world where you fight monsters that gives something called 'xp' that teaches you different skills, there are DRAGONS, UNICORNS, and TROLLS.

When you punch someone, big number appears in fornt of them, lowering their 'hitpoints' and when ther 'hitpoints' reaches 0, they die. Eating a lobster MAGICALLY heals you. You can can teleport with 'magical spells' but not if someone casts 'tb' on you.

I could go on and on, but I prefer not to.

Do you not know how to read?

Those things are "realistic" for the purposes of the game because - get this - THEY DON'T EXIST IN REAL LIFE, so JAGeX can do whatever the hell they want with those. The fact that you have hitpoints and stats are REPRESENTATIONS of abilities and skills that you would have in real life, or within the FANTASY WORLD, as part of the game MECHANIC.

Weapon fighting techniques, however, DO exist in real life. To represent things that exist in real life unrealistically within a game hurts suspension of disbelief, which is what allows people to take a game seriously. Without a grounding of realism that people are familiar with, they will either be uncomfortable with or ambivalent towards the elements which ARE fantasy.

Runescape is a REPRESANTATION of a pseudo-medieval setting with elements of fantasy worked in. Fantasy itself works only when you can compare it to real life, and for such a comparison, you need a grounding of realism.

I've also noticed this...and another strange thing.

You know how the bows are on the legs? Well, I used some rune/mith/addy arrows recently, and the arrowhead color doesnt change at all. Should be able to see what kind of arrows you're using, since with armor, u can see what you're using :?

mabe its just the mith/addy/rune arrows that have this problem....

Because you can see the change in colour for bronze/iron and steels arrows.(or at least i can :D )

while i was mining (see sig for more details) i noticed i had some arrows on my leg, but not in my inventory

arrowsonleg3dh.png

this doesnt make sense to me

p.s i posted this in here coz its already talking about ranger problems

you see the "arrows" because your wearing dragon hide legs

You dont use a bow based on your wether your left/right handed, you use a bow based on which on of your eyes is stronger.. Its called dominant eye or something..

Wrong. It's based on dominant arm, because more strength means you can draw the string more easily.

In case you haven't already realised, you CAN turn your head to sight down a shaft.

You dont use a bow based on your wether your left/right handed, you use a bow based on which on of your eyes is stronger.. Its called dominant eye or something..

Wrong. It's based on dominant arm, because more strength means you can draw the string more easily.

In case you haven't already realised, you CAN turn your head to sight down a shaft.

ya....I don't quite know where you got the "dominant eye" informatio, but it's wrong.... :?

you see the "arrows" because your wearing dragon hide legs

No poo. His point is that he actually DOESN'T have any arrows.. he's not pointing out the fact that they're there, he's pointing out the fact that they should NOT be there.

i personally think we shouldnt have arrows on our legs but infact have quivers to make it more realistic like pouches and say there diferent typers green blue red and black dragon and they hold all arrows up to the lvl say u can have a green dragon quiver and would have like 'store x amount of arrows in quiver

it would give a stat boost of like 5 4 green 12 for blue 16 for red and 25 for black so instead of the 3 arrows on ure equipment and the arrows on ure leg how bout just a quiver and there like onli made with a craftin level and a quest sumthing liek 'The elven ranger'

thx