How to complete Dragon Slayer With a Wizard

Windllama

Hello, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I'm a fairly weak wizard and I've finished every F2P quest besides Vampire Slayer and Dragon Slayer. I started the Dragon Slayer quest and right now I just need to get the map piece from Melzar's Maze and I need to get a captain to take me to Crandor.

I don't plan on trying anything soon but I was wondering, if I almost always use magic for combat would I be able to defeat the dragon? Since I wear cloth-based clothes for high magic power I don't think I'd be able to survive against Elvarg for very long without some form of metal armor.

Is there a guide written for wizard's on how to complete Dragon Slayer? Or should I just spend a while beefing up my attack, strength, and defense? I've got a good supply of gold so buying supplies isn't really a problem.

Wear an antifire shield, and maybe try a hit-and-run method? I have no idea since I bested Elvarg with a rune scimitar and full mith hehe.

Yeah, it seems like all of the RuneScapers that I've read about all use melee against Elvarg.

Well, I just finished Vampire Slayer and that bumped up my Attack pretty far. ( It was only at level 4 before which is pretty pathetic ). Now it's at 21, so I can use mithril weapons.

Edited by Windllama

Well we don't know your magic/defence level, but I suspect you will have a lot of trouble maging him. Dragons have fairly high magic defence, and you'll probably get torn apart by melee.

Like allisgreat said, you may be able to cast a spell and run, cast and run, etc. and avoid most melee damage... although being a member with antifire potions would help a lot.

With melee stats at about 40 it should be easy.

Well we don't know your magic/defence level, but I suspect you will have a lot of trouble maging him. Dragons have fairly high magic defence, and you'll probably get torn apart by melee.

Like allisgreat said, you may be able to cast a spell and run, cast and run, etc. and avoid most melee damage... although being a member with antifire potions would help a lot.

With melee stats at about 40 it should be easy.

Well like I said, my stats are really low. I'm just thinking about the long run. Here are my combat stats:

Combat Level: 26

Constitution: 23

Attack: 21

Strength: 5 (I'm training that right now with a mith warhammer)

Defense: 10

Magic: 34

Prayer:12

I decided I'll probably just train up my melee stats so I have something to work with and if the magic doesn't work then I'll just train melee all the way.

Technically, Dragons should be really defensive against Magic. Not sure if that holds up though.

Actually Green and Blue dragons are fairly good mage xp and are fairly weak to magic. Metal dragons (bronze,iron,steel, and mith) are highly weak to mage making it extremely effective towards them.

i ranged it with knives at like 56 range

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

I was also sort of wondering, about what combat level should I be to do it? I beat the vampire who's level was in the thirties when I was around 25 so obviously you don't need to be that close to the level. Any tips about when I should go for it?

I think it's sort of misleading when runescape says you need to be able to kill a level 83 dragon when that can be accomplished around level 35 or 40.

Well, to be completely honest, 83 isn't a very high level. The dragon really is quite the pushover. I believe I did it with less than 10 lobsters. It's not as difficult as it sounds. ;)

There was a safespot in a corner at one point. I saw screenshots of mage pures completing it. I'm not sure if it's still there, since this was like years ago.

He'll still be able to breathe fire at you but it's a lot lower damage since you have the shield.

Disclaimer: The above is probably inaccurate.

the_zephyrus.png

There was a safespot in a corner at one point. I saw screenshots of mage pures completing it. I'm not sure if it's still there, since this was like years ago.

He'll still be able to breathe fire at you but it's a lot lower damage since you have the shield.

I think you're right about that, however with the Runetek 5 update, many, many safespots were removed.

I think you're right about that, however with the Runetek 5 update, many, many safespots were removed.

Oh, this was old, before diagonal movement even. That was the biggest safespot killer of all.

The alternative could just be to mage it as fast as you can and spam food as needed. I'm not sure if the having a friend outside to trade you food trick still works.

Disclaimer: The above is probably inaccurate.

the_zephyrus.png

Oh, this was old, before diagonal movement even. That was the biggest safespot killer of all.

The alternative could just be to mage it as fast as you can and spam food as needed. I'm not sure if the having a friend outside to trade you food trick still works.

I'm positive that the bold text does not work, so don't even bother with that. ;)

I've killed him before using magic on an alt, you can do it, it's just going to be a TON harder.

Just a note, I've seen people suggest cast and run technique....that doesn't work. Elvarge has a long distance fire breath now.

The cast and run technique is not meant to protect you from the fire breath, it's meant to protect you from the melee attack -- as robes provide basically no defense against melee attacks.

I'm positive that the bold text does not work, so don't even bother with that. ;)

Why did you do the bold text thing instead of just saying that doesn't work?

[hide=Quotes]

Why did you do the bold text thing instead of just saying that doesn't work?

[/hide]

Because he spoke out two different things, and I wanted to be clear on which of the two I was talking about.

EDIT: He actually spoke of three things.