Obama calls an end to combat operations in Iraq

stevepole

"Complete withdrawal of all forces in Iraq by the end of next year... to Iran" :ohnoes:

At least it seems like he's trying to honor a campaign pledge.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

At this point I'm honestly more worried about N. Korea or China then I am about Iran. Even the South American countries concern me a little.

All the US has known for the last 2 decades has been desert warfare. Its what our equipment and gear are designed for and the only thing we are being trained for (Though you do get some mountain training for Afghanistan) I think they can handle themselves in Iran, though it would be a far superior force then found in Iraq. But throw us into Korea again or China and its a whole new war. A terrain and enemy that we haven't seen the likes of in the last 40 or so years at the very least. This coming from someone in the military, these are my genuine concerns. We've focused to much on desert warfare. I'd rather deploy 3 times to Iraq then I would once to the frozen Chosin.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

I don't understand why are people afraid of China, is not like China wants to attack US nor will they get any benefit out of it if China does.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

At this point I'm honestly more worried about N. Korea or China then I am about Iran. Even the South American countries concern me a little.

All the US has known for the last 2 decades has been desert warfare. Its what our equipment and gear are designed for and the only thing we are being trained for (Though you do get some mountain training for Afghanistan) I think they can handle themselves in Iran, though it would be a far superior force then found in Iraq. But throw us into Korea again or China and its a whole new war. A terrain and enemy that we haven't seen the likes of in the last 40 or so years at the very least. This coming from someone in the military, these are my genuine concerns. We've focused to much on desert warfare. I'd rather deploy 3 times to Iraq then I would once to the frozen Chosin.

I agree with you on our strategy right now. I was trained for desert warfare too, so if we go somewhere else, it's going to be a whole lot different. I really don't see much of a threat with China at this time, so I'm not worried about them. North Korea? Maybe. We've had a beef with them for as long as I can remember, so only time will tell if we go over there. But training doesn't last long, so they have to train you for the current conditions, rather than a myriad of all different types. That'll be taught before you deploy to that certain area.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

There isn't a big threat with China directly, but with them having the manpower they do....they are always in the shadows. North Korea, only if they go rogue....I don't for see an attack from them, it would require us to fight on their turf against their militaristic society and harsh climate.

Apart from a very northern US winter, when or where are they going to train you for cold weather and snow? They won't send you to another country to get the feel for it, costs to much to deploy you twice. They can give you classes on it....but you can't get the feel for it unless you are there. Same for a deep jungle enviornment. Desert, we train in Califonia...the Mojave Desert. Gives a very good indicator of Iraq. We have no resources to train like that for other environment except for maybe a few months out of the year. South America isn't a current direct threat, but with Chavez going crazy down there and tensions between Venezuela and Colombia...who knows? Chavez is already moving troops to the border of Venezuela.

Training does not last that long you are right, but there is a whole mindset that must change. Ever since bootcamp I can remember being geared towards a desert war...a desert environment. No mention of anything else. Its hammered into since the start. We need to change that to be able to be effective. Even during peace time between the Gulf War and Iraq today....the desert was our major enemy.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

^Doesn't the US have Alaska to train its soldiers to deal with cold climates in? I mean, we've got ten people living there including Sarah Palin so room is not a problem, and the mosquitos will add a layer of toughness to soldiers which can't be achieved anywhere else.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Alaska is an option, but remember the daylight/dark hours....you could acclimatize there as far as temperature, but the schedule would really throw you off. It threw me off majorly even when I went to train in Latvia this past July.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

Alaska is an option, but remember the daylight/dark hours....you could acclimatize there as far as temperature, but the schedule would really throw you off. It threw me off majorly even when I went to train in Latvia this past July.

It'll throw us off if we go over there anyways, so why not get used to being thrown off? It's best to not be in some kind of routine when you train, it'll help prepare you at least mentally somewhat.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

Because how can you train for a Night Op during a day where there is 23 hours of daylight? We train like we fight. You can simulate it all you want, but until you actually train in conditions close to what you will be in its tough to really grasp it.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

Without having read any of the other posts to save myself from certain heartache, as I'm sure there are people claiming that it's too soon to withdraw--the same people who thought our adventures in the Middle East would be splendid and successful, no doubt--Obama is just putting window dressing on this and playing with semantics. We're not getting out of Iraq, or the Middle East for that matter, for what will be years to come. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Now, this is coming from someone who would support nation building in Afghanistan, assuming the correct strategy was put in place, but I know that will not happen; going into Iraq was the stupidest thing any American president could have done, but going in whilst we were in Afghanistan was even more stupid. America is weary of our involvement in these wars, and after 8 years of absolutely no strategy in Afghanistan from Bush--and that's not political talk, literally, there was no strategy, as Robert Gates will tell you--there's no way we can have the political muscle or the money to pull something like that off. It should happen, we promised them back in the 1980's under Reagan, and it didn't happen.

So we'll just have to wait until something else happens, terrorist related, and then I'm sure America will just love to go frolicking back to Afghanistan to help their people; although, given our track record, I wish we wouldn't.

Afghanistan will never be stable until Pakistan and India resolve their differences with Kashmir, as Pakistan purposefully wants it unstable to use as a proxy in their wars with India (and the papers from Wikileaks will explain that in detail, even though people educated in the region already knew this). Or convince them that the Taliban is more of a threat than India (LOL! yeah right).

Get out of Iraq, get out of Afghanistan, remove Pakistan's aid, remove Egypt's aid, remove Israel's aid; gtfo the Middle East 100%.

Also, cut the Pentagon's budget in half, please :)

Without having read any of the other posts to save myself from certain heartache, as I'm sure there are people claiming that it's too soon to withdraw--the same people who thought our adventures in the Middle East would be splendid and successful, no doubt--Obama is just putting window dressing on this and playing with semantics. We're not getting out of Iraq, or the Middle East for that matter, for what will be years to come. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Now, this is coming from someone who would support nation building in Afghanistan, assuming the correct strategy was put in place, but I know that will not happen; going into Iraq was the stupidest thing any American president could have done, but going in whilst we were in Afghanistan was even more stupid. America is weary of our involvement in these wars, and after 8 years of absolutely no strategy in Afghanistan from Bush--and that's not political talk, literally, there was no strategy, as Robert Gates will tell you--there's no way we can have the political muscle or the money to pull something like that off. It should happen, we promised them back in the 1980's under Reagan, and it didn't happen.

So we'll just have to wait until something else happens, terrorist related, and then I'm sure America will just love to go frolicking back to Afghanistan to help their people; although, given our track record, I wish we wouldn't.

Afghanistan will never be stable until Pakistan and India resolve their differences with Kashmir, as Pakistan purposefully wants it unstable to use as a proxy in their wars with India (and the papers from Wikileaks will explain that in detail, even though people educated in the region already knew this). Or convince them that the Taliban is more of a threat than India (LOL! yeah right).

Get out of Iraq, get out of Afghanistan, remove Pakistan's aid, remove Egypt's aid, remove Israel's aid; gtfo the Middle East 100%.

I don't really want to get in an argument over the rest so I'm just gonna say about the time frame thing. I would agree that we won't be leaving for while, but from what I've seen this administration likes to force things, which could be good or bad but so far it has only seemed bad. So I think it's possible that we will be out just because they will force it.

2pzzjb9.jpg

106px-National_Defense_Service_Medal_ribbon.svg.png106px-Navy_Rifle_Marksmanship_Ribbon.svg.png120px-USN_Expert_Pistol_Shot_Ribbon.png

God dammit Seany, STOP SHARING MY MIND

" I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin. I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... I'm a monster.What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."

I don't really want to get in an argument over the rest so I'm just gonna say about the time frame thing. I would agree that we won't be leaving for while, but from what I've seen this administration likes to force things, which could be good or bad but so far it has only seemed bad. So I think it's possible that we will be out just because they will force it.

The administration likes to do anything BUT force things; it likes to find agreement, and form coalitions; it likes to distance itself from making waves, from taking on people who disagree with them. They cave at the slightest bit of pressure from the "centrists." I'm not saying I disagree with their caving, as political reality is what it is; you can't take on the Ben Nelsons of the world without pushing them out of the party as you have no pressure on them. It is what it is, and they do not force anything, they cave.

If anyone forces their hand to get out, it will be Maliki. Seeing as he is a US pawn, I doubt that will happen. The only thing that will force them to do anything is Congress reasserting their power to declare and fund war by voting against the emergency war funding efforts that we can always afford to pay for whilst the GOP and corporatist Democrats complain about the debt and deficit. And seeing as the GOP votes lock-step, especially when it comes to "the troops," I don't see that happening, either (Ron Paul aside, mind you).

Sigh.

1. "My ear's in a cup, I guess that doesn't count..."

2. "So heyyy, that's a pretty reasonable reaction huh?"

3. "So you up for NAFTA?"

4. "That went exactly how I wanted it to."

Sigh.

This just reminded me why I stopped posting in political threads. No matter what you say someone always has something the exact opposite to say.

2pzzjb9.jpg

106px-National_Defense_Service_Medal_ribbon.svg.png106px-Navy_Rifle_Marksmanship_Ribbon.svg.png120px-USN_Expert_Pistol_Shot_Ribbon.png

God dammit Seany, STOP SHARING MY MIND

" I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin. I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... I'm a monster.What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."

Sigh.

This just reminded me why I stopped posting in political threads. No matter what you say someone always has something the exact opposite to say.

I dislike corrupt governments.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Sigh.

Sorry we can't all have the same opinions as you.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

• 2 weeks later...
IRAQ-KUWAIT BORDER The last U.S. combat troops crossed the border into Kuwait on Thursday morning, bringing to a close the active combat phase of a 7½-year war that overthrew the dictatorial regime of Saddam Hussein, forever defined the presidency of George W. Bush and left more than 4,400 American service members and tens of thousands of Iraqis dead.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38744453/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/

Well the troops are out now I guess

yes.png

• 2 weeks later...

America as a world superpower won't exist by the time you die. I can't see America ever truly collapsing; it's far more likely it will become isolationist. The world's superpowers will be Brazil, China, India and potentially the EU. The middle east will fall when the oil dries up. Africa may have some hope, but global warming will make it into even more of a barren wasteland. But I digress...