Interest Check: Picture Dungeoneering

Iconic

I've recently been working on some isometric pixel art and thought it would be nice to play dungeoneering using it. I won't start it until the present dungeoneering ends though. It would be just like the two Dungeoneerings before but due to the use of images it will be slightly slower paced, you will also probably notice more objects per room and a lot more exploring; it will probably have a lot more "I check under the rug or, I cut open the back of the book" much like this game.

I'd have to create a large map and blur it off at rooms, if you look at my map below the drains end with a greenish fog of war, if you choose to go into the fog of war (assuming there is a path), more objects would be revealed.

Overland area's would be a lot easier to draw than underground because it would just involve making some stock castles and other city things and copypasting them.

I might need someone else to help with the artwork and modding but I will try my best.

dungeonerringpictured.png

What do we think?

[Falador tavern]

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Studlee.

1. "My ear's in a cup, I guess that doesn't count..."

2. "So heyyy, that's a pretty reasonable reaction huh?"

3. "So you up for NAFTA?"

4. "That went exactly how I wanted it to."

Studlee.

What does that mean?

I'd tap that*.

Studlee.

What does that mean?

I'd tap that*.

the game, me, the slug or my avatar :P

Edit: I also need to decide as to whether I should draw people and monsters.

[Falador tavern]

the game, me, the slug or my avatar :P

Edit: I also need to decide as to whether I should draw people and monsters.

Most likely your Slug, then you.

Then possibly whatever else you offer me.

Hmmmm, say what they said to me when I started Rusco...it seems like alot of work.

Added to that Dungeoneering usually consists of getting to the surface, setting fire to the nearest town and then seperating in all directions.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Hmmmm, say what they said to me when I started Rusco...it seems like alot of work.

Added to that Dungeoneering usually consists of getting to the surface, setting fire to the nearest town and then seperating in all directions.

Or setting fire to goblins. Goblins are fun to set on fire.

a70c7.png

Archi, I think your right but I have managed to work a way around making semi-isomoetric land based maps so I basically need to work on making underground things naturally.

[Falador tavern]

If I remember correctly, you came off worse after one goblin caught you....

Actually, I captured the goblin with intent of getting a sidekick, and he ended up headbonking me when I got too close, then taking all my stuff and leaving me for dead. I then went and set fire to the nearest goblin village, then build a castle where the village had stood.

a70c7.png

Sorry, I didn't make a very good reply last time :P. It probably is a bit of work but as you can see from picture underneath, I won't be doing everything from scratch, a city will probably consist of five minutes of copy pasting, all the interiors of houses will be pretty much the same (apart from pictures and items inside, maybe some tables)

presetshapes.png

I use the system as used in image , its called isometric pixel art at 30 degree's but it just follows the rule that if you are making, for more information I reccomend using this as a guide. Anyway, I'm going to need some help:

(when I say that I need it from all angles, I mean like this penguin - you'll find that if you do it facing diagonally backwards and diagonally forwards you can mirror it[hide]penguinu.png[/hide])

So can you all chip in and all draw isometric versions of the stuff on the list.

An old house.

An old pub.

An church.

An evil church.

A communal house.

A longhouse.

A dock.

An armoury.

A food shop.

Some fountains and other murals.

Some boats.

Some cannons (needed from all angles)

And anything else you think we'd need.

Some of these could be found on the internet, I need a break from doing what I've done (I've deleted quite a bit aswell) today so could all of you chip in please and we could get this done a lot quicker and up and working. Once the outside structures are done I can handle the interior.

Edit: Every pixel art will give you five gold coins in the game for FREE!!

99.jpg

[Falador tavern]

They're just squares, you couldn't use a tablet. If you want to make any of the buildings (apart from the church) use my cube for reference and put a sign or a door on it, it doesn't have to be complex just asthetically pleasing and able to convey a point.

[Falador tavern]

I am reasonably able...I just think that you will suffer from Moderator Fatigue and either give up or pull a Mather and force us to play a certain way...

Happens to all of us.

I am reasonably able...I just think that you will suffer from Moderator Fatigue and either give up or pull a Mather and force us to play a certain way...

Happens to all of us.

I agree that it would be hard, if about six people are off in different paths going in different directions I will have to load up six images (or I could do it entirely in one picture), it would be hard to have to place everything but if I have all the things I would need already done (Items will probably just be one or two pixels based on their colour, E.G a sword would be two grey pixels) I could just copy and paste everything on which would lighten my load significantly.

I wouldn't ever enforce you to keep together but I may cause a tunnel collapse probably also thinking about my well being :P

Edit: Rooms could probably stay the same for about five turns because there would be a lot of checking under tables and all rooms would be a lot more substantial in comparison to the dungeoneerings before in which you would probably find something in every tenth room. (also, I will be listing common items in every room aswell such as coins and soap and other nickable stuff)

[Falador tavern]

I don't know, I think good storytelling does require a minor amount of railroading, but it can usually be averted by giving some benefit to staying together a lot of the time.

Don't be afraid to ask somebody to stop trying to break the game ala "I head west" "You arrive at a house" "I ignore it and head further west" "You arrive at a cave" "I ignore it and etc.", since it just means you wasted time making a house and a cave for them to find.

2Xeo5.png

My suggestion for that would be to deliberately make harmful events.

"You encounter a herd of rampaging elephants."

"You are ambushed by a group of bandits."

etc

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

My suggestion is that you let them do whatever you want because you made everything up on the fly anyway...they ignore a house, so what?

With the exception of Dusty, who did it playfully(for the tavern), no one tried to break the first Dungeoneering....people just played in different styles.

Railroading tends to ignite a war between the users and the moderator...as it did on Planeteering...Where as open plan tends to make people cautious because, hey, setting fire to the inn at the start made the game more difficult. :thumbsup:

They ignore a house? The next house is the same house that they ignored, its not like they would know anyway.

If people are causing trouble I will try and find a way to keep them in the same place.

Houses are pretty easy to make as long as I have furniture, I don't have any at the moment so its slow but I have a rug, some tables and paintings. Normally I would have more and ergo more combinations of houses. I'm not making a house from scratch, I'm merely editing a template.

Quick example, below I have used the same template (and a bit of furniture to make three houses, I would have more and the tables would usually have dots on to signify items but I forgot)

examplee.png

The first example is a man offering you a beer.

The second example is a dead mayor, the police burst in later.

The third is a crazy man who attacks you.

See how many combinations you can whip up in five minutes (the actual furniture making took longer but I will do that beforehand and just copy and paste)

But if someone is deliberatley causing trouble I will make a bunch of rocks cave them in somewhere or maybe knock them out.

I will allow this to be freeroam, I won't lead anyone anywhere but as with real life some things will have to be devoloped first and if things go to quick you might have to be exploring forests for a bit. You can burn and destroy whatever you like, as long as it doesn't break the game in a non-pictured dungeoneering than whatever you do here is fine.

PLEASE NOTE: GRAPHICS WILL BE BETTER!!

[Falador tavern]

I'm going to be running a test session tonight at 7:00 GMT, I need at least three players. This one off test session will help me gauge how hard it is for me to actually mod this and will also let you know if its worth playing.

Just come up with the name of your character, in the alpha version you will have to fill out your looks but just come up with a quick name.

I will be setting this in a medieval style setting but I might consider a different setting (still in the past but just not so far back, it depends what you guys want).

I have lots and lots of props so its just a matter of copy and pasting.

I will be playing this at a much faster pace than normal, so you'll probably find a dragon or train magic quicker just so you can guage the excitement.

As soon as you read this just say 'here' so I know :)

[Falador tavern]