Screamo vs. Metalcore

Matthius

I've noticed quite a lot of confusion throughout the music boards. I honestly don't care or mind it, because everyone has their own musical preference.

*unless its Vee with her Queen songs :x

I find what you guys call Metal and metal core... is actually just screamo. I don't think most of you realize that some of your music genres fall into screamo. Like "Bullet for my Valentine" is not metalcore...I would think metalcore as "slipknot" or some band that mostly plays the guitar riff's all the way at the top of the guitar all the time. Metalcore is like oldschool crazy metal music. "From First To Last" is a prime example of screamo music, they have the emo lyrics with the occasional screaming. They have a bit more of a darker side to the guitar and drumming. A good example to compare screamo to something would be like "Funeral For a Friend" or "Silverstein" they are the true definiton of your basic screamo. "Evergreen Terrace" or "Norma jean" being more of a heavier screamo. "The Blood Brothers" have their own category I like to call Trash Screamo..

On to the metal part. A good example of good metal music would be "The Dillinger Escape Plan" or "As I Lay Dying". They are very talented musicians that make a living having probabley the fastest nad most talented guitar players I've ever heard. All of the lyrics are mostly screamed, and none of the lyrics are sang. That to me makes the difference between screamo and metal.. screamo usually involves some type of singing with more of an emotional singing. Then the metal is just all screaming with more violent lyrics, sometimes the occasional cover song.

Im not saying you people dont know music. I was just a little confused when people were categoring music where it shouldn't be. I also almost worked at "Sam Goody" so I know a little about music :D

Mabye everyone has a little bit of emo/screamo inside of them... and if anybody needs a good suggestion for any type of rock music in general I will be happy to help them if they pm me :D

i back you up 100% :)

however id have to say that screamo was derrived from emo and hardcore

hardcore bands started to go emo but the mix wasnt really mellow so it was like screaming emo, hence Screamo, therefore know you know all know the background of Screamo.

Guthans.png

metalcore is not always screamo, they are both VERY similar.....but screamo is called SCREAMO because of EMO influences.

Thus, if something is metal, and hardcore (which isn't always EMO) it is metalcore...with no emo.

Pretty simple really.

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

I think everyone just needs to chake a chill pill and relax. Who cares if someone catagorizes music differantly than you? People have their own ideas on what music is what, and there's no definition for either genre. As long as people know what eachother are talking about, who gives a rip?

And "almost" working at Sam Goodies doesn't tell me you know music, it tells me you weren't qualified enough for the job...

phx.jpg

Gamertag: King Arizona

Your problem is you bother with way too many subgenres. It's all just metal really, so screw it :)

It doesn't hurt to be able to categorize metal into smaller areas, because "metal" covers ALOT of music. Sadly few people know what they're talking about referring to the genres, so it gets all screwed up.

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

no problem really, I just thought everything should categorized.

And "almost" working at Sam Goodies doesn't tell me you know music, it tells me you weren't qualified enough for the job...

I went in for the first interview which was fine, the second one they kinda quized me on my music knowledge and showed me around to all the different type of music. Tbh, they dont allow people to work there if they dont know music

Your problem is you bother with way too many subgenres. It's all just metal really, so screw it :)

i dont think you would categorize death cab for cutie as metal.. or other mellow bands like bright eyes or straylight run

queen == classic but poop in my opinon :P

Guthans.png

yes i agree, metalcore and screamo are very different. start lookin into screamo bands like underoath, and hawthorne heights. all the members are skinny stoner college kids. perfect examples of emo followers. Metalcore pertains to bands liek bullet for my valentine and trivium. very much difference

"Ive always tried to kill the greatest man alive, but then I finally realize that suicide is not the answer"

QsBillabong

i dont think you would categorize death cab for cutie as metal.. or other mellow bands like bright eyes or straylight run

queen == classic but poop in my opinon :P

they named a band after a section of neuromancer? (straylight run) that's fairly lame.

Slipknot= Nu-Metal

Metalcore=

The Agony Scene

Unearth

Haste The Day

Caliban

Eighteen Visions

God Forbid

Winter Solstice

Screamo=

The Kodan Armada

Saetia

Love Lost But Not Forgotten

Circle Takes the Square

Indian Summer

A Day in the Black and White

Raein

AND THAT IS THAT.

Bah... Then you have NO idea what mXc is.

Metalcore does not have "Clean vocals".

The guitar riffing is technical, and picking is common.

Breakdowns CAN be used...

Drums beats are in bursts, and blasts are COMMON.

Use of Double Bass Drums and harder distortion.

Slipknot *HAS NEVER* picked the strings, they simply chord every song. It takes VERY LITTLE TALENT.

Numetal is based off of simplified guitar compositions,

Varying vocal pitches (ie. Screaming to Talking),

Guitars that are drop tuned/ De-Tuned,

Drums are in 4/4 beats most of the time,

and an overall simplified song structure.

BTW: Slpknot is also "Rapcore"

Rapcore bands =

- Linkin Park

- Slipknot

- System of a Down

- HED P.E.

- Limp Bizkit

- Crazy Town

:wink:

Bah... Then you have NO idea what mXc is.

Metalcore does not have "Clean vocals".

The guitar riffing is technical, and picking is common.

Breakdowns CAN be used...

Drums beats are in bursts, and blasts are COMMON.

Use of Double Bass Drums and harder distortion.

Slipknot *HAS NEVER* picked the strings, they simply chord every song. It takes VERY LITTLE TALENT.

Numetal is based off of simplified guitar compositions,

Varying vocal pitches (ie. Screaming to Talking),

Guitars that are drop tuned/ De-Tuned,

Drums are in 4/4 beats most of the time,

and an overall simplified song structure.

BTW: Slpknot is also "Rapcore"

Rapcore bands =

- Linkin Park

- Slipknot

- System of a Down

- HED P.E.

- Limp Bizkit

- Crazy Town

:wink:

rapcore? Never heard of it.....Limp Bizkit was always nu metal for me...same with Korn.

Linkin Park is like some industrial, some rap, some metal, its definetly a weird one. System of a down isn't rap by any stretch of the imagination.

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

I find what you guys call Metal and metal core... is actually just screamo.

um your going by vocals, but what actually changes the genres is instruments. metalcore has more choppy guitar/ breakdowns, something screamo doesnt. the drumming in metalcore is fast and lots of double bass. screamo drumming leaves a lot to be desired. before you go and tell people what genres are make sure you know yourself.

Dragon Drops: 5 medium helmet, 3 left shield half

Obby: Maul 1, Cape 1, Shield 1