Photoshop

Bows

I'm in class currently and we are messing around with Photoshop. I quite like the program and I was wondering if anyone knows if you can purchase it online or if you actually have to go into the store and buy it. Also, if you can purchase it online -- you'd obviously be able to download it from the site? I'm assuming it'd be somewhere on the Adobe site right?

If you're in class, I'd strongly recommend checking if you can get any kind of student deal - a new (not an upgrade) Photoshop CS5 runs $699. However, ordering a download is possible here (not sure if you'd be able to apply the student discount this way). Just click buy and select download for delivery method.

Especially if you're just messing around with it, I'd recommend a free image-manipulation program such as GIMP to start. CS5 does have some awesome features, but it's not worth it unless you're seriously contemplating a career.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

Also download the Photoshop Elements demo and try that, I've used it for years and it's a very nice program for ~$80USD.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Well, besides those programs I heard the Corel DRAW was pretty good as well. I headed to my Animation class and gave that a shot, it's pretty simple for the most part. I think I might just find a torrent for Photoshop, which is what my teacher said I should do. I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not though. So, whatever.

Just do it. Funny that your teacher recommended it though.

Seriously though it is a pretty standard thing to do. Adobe knows that people pirate it which is why the software can be so pricey. The fact is Adobe's customers are college campus's, design firms and freelance artists... not someone just learning the ropes. The major thing with the price isn't the software its self but the license for it.

I'm a 4th year Communication Graphics student and still am running a pirated copy of the software. (btw just download the trial off of adobes site, at least gives you 30 days free and a fast download)

I know it might not be morally right but honestly aside from checking into a student discount you don't have much of an option. Going with a different software, such as GIMP, will really only hinder you later on if you choose to pursue graphic arts. (Since you will need photoshop).

Also Corel DRAW is for an entirely different purpose.

Just do it. Funny that your teacher recommended it though.

Seriously though it is a pretty standard thing to do. Adobe knows that people pirate it which is why the software can be so pricey. The fact is Adobe's customers are college campus's, design firms and freelance artists... not someone just learning the ropes. The major thing with the price isn't the software its self but the license for it.

I'm a 4th year Communication Graphics student and still am running a pirated copy of the software. (btw just download the trial off of adobes site, at least gives you 30 days free and a fast download)

I know it might not be morally right but honestly aside from checking into a student discount you don't have much of an option. Going with a different software, such as GIMP, will really only hinder you later on if you choose to pursue graphic arts. (Since you will need photoshop).

Also Corel DRAW is for an entirely different purpose.

Thanks for the tip, and if you would be so kind as to recommend a site that I can get a pirated version from? You don't have to do it here, you can e-mail me or PM me. I'd appreciate it, I'm also going to download the trial right now.

He has to leave it as a tip as that is the point were it would violate the rules of the forum. Any more than that would have to be in a private conversation. :)

Personal addition to the thread: Just be careful with torrents, many of them are untrustworthy. Many people just reinstall the trail version over and over again. :P

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

He has to leave it as a tip as that is the point were it would violate the rules of the forum. Any more than that would have to be in a private conversation. :)

Personal addition to the thread: Just be careful with torrents, many of them are untrustworthy. Many people just reinstall the trail version over and over again. :P

Gotcha, Nic. :)

However if I was to reinstall over and over again, wouldn't I lose worked saved in the trial?

No, what you do will be saved in the folders you choose to save them.

As for torrents being untrustworthy, I think that's pretty rare as I would be surprised if people seeded viruses.

As for torrents being untrustworthy, I think that's pretty rare as I would be surprised if people seeded viruses.

Zombies. Mal-ware occupied computers can unknowingly seed software.

Also, the FBI can "seed" torrents then trace the IP of anyone who downloads and bust them.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Good lord that's expensive. I expected maybe 100-150 dollars at most. I'll try out GIMP first though. Graphic Design is a career I'm looking into, so it would be worth it eventually. Thanks guys.

Ha, welcome to the world of graphics software. 3D programs can set you back $3,500.

C2b6gs7.png

Zombies. Mal-ware occupied computers can unknowingly seed software.

Also, the FBI can "seed" torrents then trace the IP of anyone who downloads and bust them.

The government does not track bittorrent downloads - even if you were sued for downloading something it would be a civil, not a criminal suit so the government would not be involved.

That said, Adobe does not mind students torrenting photoshop - it is students' familliarity with the program that perpetuates their control of the market, as virtually all graphic artists use adobe software.

That said, Adobe does not mind students torrenting photoshop - it is students' familliarity with the program that perpetuates their control of the market, as virtually all graphic artists use adobe software.

Yup. Adobe wins out even if a student pirates their software as opposed to using something like GIMP.

Also just look around for a crack, not a full torrent. I'm not sure how technical I'm really allowed to get here though.

Seeing as Adobe are market leaders for creative software, they can charge however much they want.

@n_odie: You can't constantly re-install - Adobe has mechanisms in place to detect if you are doing so.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM