Pirates 2: Return of the Kraken

a_bert

Isaac leans in closer to the captain and says, slowly, "Tell them Isaac sent you, they'll know who you're talking about." before cutting his head off.

He allows the rest of the crew to live, taking all of their weapons and plunder with him.

2Xeo5.png

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teaves, you do amaze us with your strategic brilliance! Hahar!

The Vexed closes in, grapples are thrown, and the immobilised Spanish Galleon is completely helpless as your crew swing in and begin the killing.

You findself among a throng of blades, and try to move into an area of more space. You can see the Spanish are close to giving up, but as a bladesman yourself, you are all too aware anything could happen still...

With a battlecry, you charge towards a Spaniard about to deal a killing blow to one of your crew, who lies bleeding on the floor, and parry his blade with your own.

The two of you exchange thrusts, parries, swings, blocks, but neither can dent the others shield.

You look around your surroundings for inspiration: and notice a coil of rope behind you. Behind the Spaniard is the boarding gap in the ships wall, an easy way to defeat your adversary - just knock him overboard! Or there is a stray banana just out of reach where you stand.. What do, Mr Teaves?

Isaac, you sick madman!

A glorious battle! 16,000 pesos worth of plunder is loaded into your cargo hold, and the captains 15,000 peso comission is transported to your quarters. However, the cargo is worth nothing in the Caribbean, you could sail it to Europe, or try to find a merchant in a friendly port who will take it off your hands - for a very low price!

Losses stand at: 2 cannons. You can refit in port for a price!

It is your choice how to continue. Sail on, look for more delicious opponents, or make port and explore land for a bit.

Ah, a cold one, Nathan

You kick the Frenchies in the head, good job. They shut up, and you grin a little to yourself. Your captain is impressed by your discipline, and notes it for further use.

As an employee of the Spanish Navy, you are entitled to a paycheck of 1,500 pesos per battle you fight in. And you got a sword. Not bad work, you muse.

The Frenchies are left to their own devices, and the Spaniards abandon the French ship. You leave last, spitting on the ship before you leave.

Upon returning to the Acheron, your captain congratulates the crew for a fine victory, and offers an extra ration of rum to everyone! Lovely job.

The Acheron patrols on, but clouds are gathering... a storm looks to be on the way. Do you ask the captain if he plans to put to port until the storm is over? Or do you climb the rigging in ready? Or hide underdeck! Or something completely different..

Ah, who needs choices, eh Teaves? Just do 'em all..

You pick up the rope with your free hand, but as you lean to pick it up, the bastard Spaniard swipes your arm and cuts the skin. Enraged, you throw the rope into his face, and he forgets his guard as he goes to catch it. You go on the wild offensive, slashing like a haymaker, and the Spaniard falls over the side. What an idiot, jeez.

As you look around, victorious, you note similar happenings are beginning to happen among your crew. The 29 vs 32 has turned into a 24 vs 16, and the way is now clear for you to walk to the Captain's Quarters.

You cut your way there, and barge open the door. The Captain looks very sheepish, is sitting at his desk with his sword lain across it.

"So, who are you?"

How do you answer? With words, with your sword? Do you offer him surrender? Do you cut him down where he stands? Your crew has all but won the battle outside. All that remains is the Captains duel.

'Tis I, 'tis Vindice, 'tis I!

Name: Roderick Van Rothstein

How you start: Examining a fine lump of gold aboard his prized vessel, The Mirabelle

Stuff you might want to: Whatever is the fancy of my whim

Personality: Witty with a hint of imperialism

Looks: 5'10, slightly toned build, short brown hair, opulent clothing

Goal: Trade monopoly

The sour dough of the epitmous pie hungers for another's sweet lips to be dulled into a state of most irreverant humbleness

TUBULAR BELLS!

Ahoy, Roderick Van Rothstein. Might I say it is an hour to be in the presence of such apparent wealth.

Or not. You don't have it just yet, I say. You may be posh, and you may have a little bit of peso, but you will need much more to become the glorious trader you desire to be, master Rothstein. But how to make your wealth?

Charter a voyage? Open a tavern? Open a market stall (awww)? The stage is yours, Rothstein. Just choose your avenue!

The Mirabelle, A small brig with 12 guns, and a crew of 22.

Aye Nathan, aye..

The captain appears absent minded. You clear your throat, and he comes to attention.

"Ah, yes, right, well, just, you know. Be a good sailor.

You wonder if there's something up with the captain. He does seem odd.

The storm comes, and the ship is thrown about. You climb the rigging, and work constantly in the rain to maintain the sails.

Alas! One of the sails is torn. You have to make your way to it, but to do so can only be done by one method...

You must write a haiku about the storm.

(you don't really, but it'd be pretty damn badass and i'm wondering if this is a way we can play, with.. challenges! for bonuses, perhaps)

Roderick disembarks at a nearby port-town, taking a stroll in the central district. As he walks around, he nibbles at a piece of gingerbread, only until he gives a look of distaste, tossing the remaining gingerbread at a peasant. He exclaims, "Bah! Worthless rabble!". Suddenly, he spots a small plot of paved land for sale, undeveloped. A smirk slowly begins to form on his face. "This pristine piece of land looks like a fine place for a market square..."

And so it began...

The sour dough of the epitmous pie hungers for another's sweet lips to be dulled into a state of most irreverant humbleness

TUBULAR BELLS!

Ah, sensible Isaac, sensible. The loot must be disensed with!

Your ship docks at the nearest port, and you go ashore.

Cannons - 2,000 each to replace.

Your total loot: 21,000.

You must decide how to split the loot - even shares among your crew? Or do you get more? Reports indicate that your crew will be happy with almost anything at the moment, but routine is helpful to a pirate, and you should start as you want to go on.. and they won't always be content to be earning peanuts.

Oh, you entrepeneur, Roderick, you!

The island you are exploring is Saint Kitts, the governor incumbent is Bart. Bart. A glorious patch, exclaims your servert! Good choice Sir. You smirk, of course it was a good choice - it was your choice.

Plans are drawn up for the market, and you make an appointment to meet with the Guv'nor.

As you make your way towards the Governor's house, you are

Seems reasonable, have him flogged and sent to the summerhouse

on charges of

Have him arrest for throwing Gingerbread

Alas.. I am sorry master! I have failed you. But still, the Governor has apologised and is welcoming you into his house. Begin the meeting!

note: I am playing this by ear as I have no idea how to "use" this interaction, but if I can think of something really cool then rest assured I will do it!

I figure that it might be cool to see how Roderick's interests of building a merchant empire work alongside Bart's interests of ridding the Caribbean of the pirate scourge! And of course, as Gov'nor Bart has an interest in seeing his settlement grow.. Perhaps if Bart could provide part of the comission from England as capital for the market!

Awesome as hell!

James Flint (huzzah generic names!)

A bit quiet, gruff, seemingly patriotic and dedicated to honest work.

Mildly tan, about 6ft, brown hair and eyes, of average looks and weight.

Owns his own bar in some town or another, he's never bothered learning what either is called. He always carries his favourite well-worn oak blackjack and is often accompanied by his pet penguin Jacques.

He hopes to someday control EVERY BAR IN THE WOOORLD! Not to mention get rid of all those pesky parrots.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Name: Jen Rumdoughednut

How you start: Swashbuckling pirate serving under an even more awesome pirate

She's dressed as a male, so that she could become a pirate. Her goal is to have a good time, get a big ship, and make lots of money. :thumbup:

Kewl if I could have a fencing sword? :)

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Here.

Name: Earth Damascus. (No idea. Don't ask where i got the name.)

Afilliation: Merchants.

Personality: A twitchy gunman looking for things to shoot. Favorite saying is "I may not be able to stab you, bu i can shoot holes in you in heartbeats"

Goals: Get new guns. Shoot things. Repeat.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Name

Pierre Valois

How you start

Midshipman, on a French naval ship in Port Tortuga

Stuff you might want to:

Blast the crap out of stuff and steal [cabbage]. Because that's how the French roll.

Personality

Uncompromising

Ruthless

Argumentative

Authoritarian

Bold

Looks

vEOKU.jpg

(epic 'stache is epic)

Goal

French Navy. My Navy.

suddenly: EVERYONE

ok guys I will work as fast as I can

Ahoy barkeep, Flinty, some rum eh?

You observe your bar while you wash the glasses, it's glorious. The Rum 'n' Raisin. A mammoth skull (or at least, that's what the guy said it was..) hanging above the doorway, bloodstains on most of the tables. A true bar.

There are four people here at the moment. One, sitting alone in the corner, wears a white jacket with dark grey pantaloons. He speaks of experience, has a scar down his cheek and a tricorne. You suspect he's part of a navy, but you can't be sure. He looks like he has a story to tell.

Two sit at the bar, drinking grog together and talking nonsense about the good old days. They're wearing typical attire, a striped vest, ragged tan trousers and clogs. You sense there is something dirty about them when they're sober: but so long as they're paying!

The last again sits alone, near the door. She seems to be waiting for someone. Typical, you say to yourself. She wears a feathered hat, a green top and long black trousers. She has impressiv black shoes, as well, broadcasting class. But who is she?

Who do you talk to? Do you want to find out anything imparticular?

Oh, welcome, come in Mr?.. Whitethroat? Splendid

You enter a shop with a sign reading "Digby's Shipayrd" hanging from a rickety sign above the door. A common enough building, it's wooden with two windows in the front, both barred. It doesn't give you great hope, but for you as a smalltime privateer, it's about as good as it gets.

Digby himself isn't much more impressive. At least he has a peg leg! He uses lots of ridiculous phrases, and you struggle to understand him, but eventually you manage to find out that to upgrade past 18 cannons costs 15k per cannon up to 24 cannons. You can upgrade your hull for a massive 25k, (effect unknown!).

You can also buy a new boat, a brig, with 32 guns, for 350,000. (Non-military make! Bit dodgy! C'mon Digby!). When you upgrade your ship like this, you have to recruit new crew members.

Your crew are happy in the knowledge that you are being fair with them, and will be content for you to spend all the booty on upgrading the ship, if you choose to do so.

Ahoy there.. Rumdoughednut, WELCOME ABOARD!

Avast ye! You be a crew member upon a 24 gun brig with 52 crew members called Keletul. Your captain is known as Jack Rockhammer, a man feared for wielding a huge hammer in battle. Often attacking targets far stronger than himself, Jack's crew have a low life expectancy. Something like three months. But don't let that daunt you! He's been at it for at least seven.

You have two choices for job upon his ship:

Navigator! Steer the bote. Chart the course, decide where to lurk, who to target, and when to go broadside and when to run!

Botanist. What on earth? A pirate botanist? You are the medicine man. Or woman, if you would prefer! The crew adores you for your remedies, though you are regarded as a witch doctor by many of those who don't know you. You have the opportunity to spread rumours of your powers in the crews which find themselves victims of the Keletul, and build your own reputation, big enough to rival any pirate.. perhaps to rival Jack one day. We'll see!

Ah yes, hello there Damascus, please.. be seated

You are seated in a room, opposite a smartly dressed man known as Quintin Toxificus, discussing a new business deal. As an ambassador for your ship "Terracorpus", it is your job to choose the deals for your crew as merchants to undertake. Your ship has just 8 guns, and it's crew numbers 18 people. Small time merchants with big time ambitions.

Quintin is annoying you. His deal, on paper, is very good. You can buy 7,000 pesos worth of silver at the Spanish port Portobello, and sail it to Europe, for a profit of at least 13,000 pesos.

But he is ANNOYING!

And he probably has at least 1,000 pesos worth on him...

You twitch. Do you try out those pistols? Or do you persist, and make the deal?

Oh yes, it is impossible not to respect the tache, Monsieur Valois..

Tortuga is in it's decline. With the death of Henry Morgan, it's usefulness has severely dropped. Your superior, Vice-Amiral Lemarchal, wishes to solve this, but he has to prove to the French command back in Paris that his vision is possible.

And what is his vision? Complete French control of the Caribbean seas. Sure, let the Spanish, and the English and the Dutch have their colonies - but by god they'll pay us to use 'em!

His second, Contre-Amiral Lefevre, however, is against this. A bit of a coward, he wants to let the foreign powers be and return to France for a healthy retirement. Tension is high in the French camp, and you must pick your side.

If you choose to side with Lemarchal, you should consider how best to get rid of Lefevre, for his patheticness is surely the biggest obstacle to French dominance of the Caribbean. And vice versa, clearly.

YOU'RE JUST THAT AWESOME.

Whos-Awesome_Dog.jpg

RIP Dawngate ;-;

A screaming, wailing storm

Has come to the Acheron

Its crew must now fight!

The storm, in great fury

Has ripped a sail to pieces

Only one can fix...

Nathan, rigging boy

Perilously climbs the ropes

To mend the sail's tear.

(I assumed Acheron was 3 syllables.)

a70c7.png

"Take a seat, dearest governor." Roderick hops into a chair, sitting cross legged. Suddenly, he pulls a doubloon out of his pocket, flipping it in his right hand. "There is a vast sum of wealth out there in exports, just waiting to be reaped. Unfortunately, it seems that many...others have also taken to this business. However, I am sure that these interlopers will pack their bags if someone does a bit of...convincing." Roderick stops flipping the doubloon, grasping it in his hand. "You see, dearest governor, with my mercantile expertise and your governing abilities, I see the potential for this little outpost to become something much greater. Of course, you will need some help with taking care of those rather pesky pirates as well." Roderick then shoves the coin back in his pocket, waiting for a response.

TUBULAR BELLS!

BOTANIST! Yarrr, fear my plant powa!

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

I easily slip out from behind the bar, preferably after slapping down the customary "Back when I will be, go jump off the dock" sign and start cleaning a table within ear's length of the feathered lass.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Bartulus thinks for a moment while Roderick is flogged for some reason that was never fully explained.

"So. You wish to found a market place on my fair Island? What, pray tell, is my incentive?

Boy!" He points at one of the floggers "How would you like to be a merchant." Waits a second "Good, go with this Rogar person and see that he sets up a market place, he is forbidden to leave the Island until he has paid me.....50,000 Doubloons."

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Oh yes, it is impossible not to respect the tache, Monsieur Valois..

Tortuga is in it's decline. With the death of Henry Morgan, it's usefulness has severely dropped. Your superior, Vice-Amiral Lemarchal, wishes to solve this, but he has to prove to the French command back in Paris that his vision is possible.

And what is his vision? Complete French control of the Caribbean seas. Sure, let the Spanish, and the English and the Dutch have their colonies - but by god they'll pay us to use 'em!

His second, Contre-Amiral Lefevre, however, is against this. A bit of a coward, he wants to let the foreign powers be and return to France for a healthy retirement. Tension is high in the French camp, and you must pick your side.

If you choose to side with Lemarchal, you should consider how best to get rid of Lefevre, for his patheticness is surely the biggest obstacle to French dominance of the Caribbean. And vice versa, clearly.

Of course I side with Lemarchal, useless coward that the Contre-Admiral Lefevre is.

I get off the ship and head into Tortuga into one of the many seedy taverns there, and inquire discreetly about hiring a pair of cutthroats to solve my problem with Lefevre.

If I can't find any that are willing to assassinate a French rear admiral, then I make my way to the rear admirals house and insult him and do whatever I can to provoke him into demanding a duel.

In the hope you will see this if you are responding to this post:

Alas friends, it has been a very exciting first go, and I will return tomorrow, but this will be my last post as I am starting to see myself making silly decisions as I tire!. I will respond to all posts up to this one (Archi/Ross, Nex and Dusty), but after that you will have to wait for tomorrow! As I mentioned in the OP, I will not use "sessions" so I will respond to your posts when I come online tomorrow if you leave one, and you can respond to my response whenever you are around. You can wait and see if you can catch me if you find it easier to play in sessions, and I will be online for a while at a time a lot of the time, but for those who don't mind - there is no need to wait for me to be online, or anyone else, before you post your action.

I'm very grateful for all the support I've received and interested peoples: I hope I do not dissapoint you!

Indeed it is, Nathan! Indeed it is!

I am very impressed. Not just one haiku, but three! You manage to find 3,000 pesos hidden in the rigging. It's your lucky day!

The sail is torn, but your seamanship is demonstrated clearly as you expertly tie the sail back together while hanging upside down from the mast. I mean, what? Madness! Madness.

Your ship evades the storm, sailing it's way out on the western side. The Captain seems to be back to his old self, sending crew members scurrying about the decks, checking the rigging, the bilge, the hull. Miraculously, the ship appears to be fine!

The captain charts a course for Cartagena, but as you head there the crows nest called out. A ship is spotted! Flying French Colours!

Twice in a day, aren't we a lucky little sloop? This french ship is far more substanstial. It is a brig, two masted, 28 cannons and a crew of 56. Far outnumbering the tiny Acheron - but the crew is in good spirits. Already having defeated one pesky French ship, surviving a storm easily, and now another French ship is putting itself on the line.

The captain orders the engage, and the Acheron sails onwards.. towards death? towards glory?...

Sensible.. Mr Whitethroat.. very sensible.. yes.. absolutely.. right away sir...

Are you replacing the two lost cannons as well? Or just replacing one? I will assume the first. So.. some money is split with the crew, but not very much! Alas, your ship now has 19 cannons, which demands much more respect than 18, so perhaps it is worth it. Oh my, yes, the Vulture is certainly a ship of spectacle now! Good choice, sir, good choice.

The crew are delighted, even if their portion is small, and they send the rest of the week lying on the floor of a tavern being pissed on. Oh, pirates. Aren't they just wonderful?

Do you want to explore town before you set sail again, or do you wish to return to the fray immediately?

Indeed, Jen, indeed! Plants it is!

Jack wasted no time in seeking out his target.. The first ship over the horizon.. A huge three masted, 40 gun ship named Virtuoso, fit with a crew of 63, a Spanish frigate sent to defend the port of Caracas from blockade. A ridiuclous target to engage against, even with equal guns and crew. But then Rockhammer is a ridiculous kind of guy, and in a way, piracy is a ridiculous kind of business.

So that's what he did - Keletul raised sail, and gave chase to the Virtuoso. The Spaniards didn't really think about this too much, Keletul was a substantial ship but Virtuoso was strong, freshly built and ready for a fight.

As soon as Keletul was in range, the front swivel cannons fired a small volley of four shots at the back of Virtuoso, superb! All four hit, and knocked a bit of paint of Virtuoso. Unfortutely, at such range the power of a swivel cannon is still rather pathetic. But the crew of Keletul remained undaunted: they were riding with the Rockhammer!

Virtuoso was rather pissed off by this however, and dropped anchor on her port side, turning to offer broadside to Keletul. Ouch, an awkward sitaution. Rockhammer, while mad, was not stupid, and didn't dare return broadside to a ship with 8 more cannons per side than his own. Instead, Keletul turned to starboard and tried to maintain a course to come up behind Virtuoso, while staying out of view of her broadsides.

It was a good plan, but ultimately a failed one... Just as Keletul was about to get out of the cone of Virtuoso, the Spanish ship opened fire.. 20 cannons puncturing the air, and Keletul's back end was hit by 8 of them. Splinters flying everywhere, and two crewmen fall to the floor wounded.

Your judgement is called into action! Crewmate 1 has been wounded in his thigh, and looks ok, but you have no way of telling how big the wound is without looking closer. Crewmate 2 has been wounded in the chest, and is bleeding heavily. You cannot be sure if he will survive even if you do treat him.

You must pick which crewmate to treat - only one! -, and then which herb to use to treat them: Red, Green or Yellow. Alas.. the herbs.. it is random chance if you pick the right one! But the odds are in your favour. Good luck.

Ah Flint, an interesting decision.

The two men at the bar barely bat an eyelid as you slink away, but the woman eyes you carefully. Just as she opens her mouth to speak to you, a man enters and sits down next to her. They lock eyes, and she seems to be feeling awkward at the man's presence. He is dressed in a black jacket with blue pantaloons and black felt boots. He has short, cropped black hair and you feel as though you would recognise him the moment you saw him.

"Elizabeth... Do you have the document?", he ventures, in an accent distinctly Dutch (oh my, isn't this cliche.)

The woman nods, and reaches under the table and pulls out a rolled up strip of vellum, bound with a wax seal, and hands it to the man. She doesn't speak, and nor does she blink. He breaks the seal, and examines the vellum for a moment.

You look over from the table, keeping your eyes low, and notice a rather large, red X. (!). The man nods, shakes Elizabeth's hand and gets up to leave. You grunt, in a bartender kind of way, "thanks for coming but not buying anything you lousy bugger". The girl laughs, which is odd, as she seemed to be kind of cold.

You smile at her, and she studies you carefully, before nodding to herself and getting up to leave. You sigh again, customers these days!

You begin to ponder what the document was, and what the X could mean?

Do you consult with Jacques? Do you chase the man? Do you speak to someone else in the bar? Do you enlist the help of someone else who you 'know'?

The meeting of Bart and Rod

An interesting meeting indeed... consisting of much flogging.. and much money grabbing. Two shady characters with different morals, but both perhaps after the same thing: the shiny gold stuff.

Now that Rod has permission to set up his market, one wonders what he will do there? As the sole merchantman, he has everything in his favour to turn Saint Kitts into a glorious trading hub, protected by the might of the British navy..

[note: I still have no idea how to work this so you will have to let me sleep on it BUT I WILL come up with something! if you have any ideas too then shoot but until then let us plot and imagine our soon to be riches]

Mr Valois, welcome to Moe's

You enter the tavern and look around, there are bar fights, ugly large breasted women, pigs, and rum everywhere. You grin, Tortuga - never change. You walk through the tavern to the bar, where you order a grog, and look around closer. You see a pair of nasty looking ruffians with a cutlass each and one ear between the two of them and approach them.

"Say, lads, you be willing to do a bit of work fo' me?. Your question is innocent enough, but they soon guess what you are after. After you explain exactly what you want, they look at you curiously. Then they say no.

Then you get mad. Their cowardlyness is almost as bad as Lefevre's! You draw your blade, an inscribed sabre that has been with you since you joined the navy.

A battle occurs, 2 on 1, but you are a battle hardened midshipman of the French navy! They are no match for you! They immediatley throw themselves at you, intending on using brute strength to pin you to the floor, but despite the crush you manage to dodge out of the way and the 'ruffians' manage to land on the floor themselves.

Obviously drunk, you can't help but feel a twinge of pity for them as you slice two fingers from each right hand, just like the old days.

You conclude that there is nobody on this lump of rock other than you willing to do what is needed for France, so you march off to Lefevre's house.

You succeed in provoking a duel (if you must know, you described his mother as l'escargot), and you grin with glee. You can already feel Lemarchal's plans becoming that much closer to reality, and you know it is because of you.

The duel is tomorrow, to the death.