List of possibilities:

EOS 350D (Rebel XT)

EOS 400D (Rebel XTi)

EOS 450 (Xsi)

EOS 500D ( T1i)

40D

50D

Nikon D40

I don't want to spend over like 350 for the body. Where should I look for cameras. Craigslist? Ebay, amazon? Also do you guys own any of these/have any input?

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

Well here are Amazon prices:

EOS 350D: $600 new, $295 used

EOS 400D: $800 new, $350 used

EOS 450D: $530 new, $395 used

EOS 500D: $580 new, $510 used

EOS 40D: $1000 new, $550 used

EOS 50D: $950 new, $720 used

Nikon D40: $700 new, $260 used

You might find variations buying through other sites. If you're going to buy one used, I would suggest Amazon or eBay. While I haven't bought any used camera bodies before, I have always had good experience buying through those sites. I have heard a few more horror stories from people who have used Craigslist.

I don't know anything about Nikon, but all of the Canon choices would suit your needs just fine. As Shiny said, lenses are really what count the most. Personally, I own a Canon 450D and absolutely love it. It was my first DSLR, it's very easy to use/learn and I have no complaints.

The lens is what will account for most of the image quality. For your first lens, you will want something pretty versatile so you can explore many different kinds of photography. That will help you find out what interests you and you can buy more specific lenses from there. If you want lens ideas, I'm sure we can help :) But first we will need to know if you decide to go with Canon or Nikon (go Canon!!).

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I have a Nikon which for me it felt the nicest when I held it in my hands at the store. I get to play with both Nikons and Canons through friends and family so I personally haven't acquired a personal preference between the two brands, they both have their ups and downs its more or less what fits your needs the most. Canons tend to be more popular then Nikons so basing off that factor it might be better to go with a Canon just you'll probably find more people personally that will be able to help you with your camera or answer any of your questions if you ever run into trouble, and if you have some nice friends they'll let you barrow their lenses.

tFtfA.jpg

I have a Nikon which for me it felt the nicest when I held it in my hands at the store.

That is a good point - going to a camera store and holding some of the options can be a great way to make your decision. Sometimes your first DSLR can feel pretty awkward in your hands if you're coming straight from a P&S.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Canon are known for their cheaper lenses while Nikon are known for their lense quality. I wanted a Nikon but because of the location I was in and the time I had left to buy one for school, Canon was the only brand I could find. That being said it's actually a good camera (Canon rebel XS).

The camera body is not as important that of the lense because you can have 1 macro lense (just an example) and upgrade your body every few years. You will always have your lenses. So what Shiny said earlier is true.

Dart.jpg

I have a second hand 350d which I rather like. I think that cannon line are known for being a bit smaller and lighter, so that's something to consider. Also, it will probably be easier to get second hand cannon lenses, just because they are more out there.

rosssigfinal.jpg

I would suggest against the d40 since it can only autofocus with a select few lenses - i'm not really a canon pro so wouldn't have any input with the others.

If it's your first i suggest going to your local dealer. It's important hows it feels/how heavy it is/how it grips/how big the screen is etc... especially if it's your first. - Find out what's important to you basically. My D70 doesn't shoot it black and white and the screen is quite small, but there were other factors i liked and the price was right.

Have a look at Ken Rockwell's reviews too... http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/index.htm That guy is a hero.

I went to a dealership (not very local but reliable and fairly priced) in london. (Grays of Westminster) to have a look around, get some advice from the pros and hold some cameras. Then funnily enough, a week or two later i ended up buying a camera from one of their ebay auctions. They just auction off cameras that have been sitting around for a while. Anyway i went back up there to pick it up and they gave me some free lens cleaning kit and what have you - good stuff!

A general rule of thumb, especially with your first, is don't buy it 2nd hand off the internet without viewing it/knowing the source.

does that help?

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

I would suggest against the d40 since it can only autofocus with a select few lenses - i'm not really a canon pro so wouldn't have any input with the others.

If it's your first i suggest going to your local dealer. It's important hows it feels/how heavy it is/how it grips/how big the screen is etc... especially if it's your first. - Find out what's important to you basically. My D70 doesn't shoot it black and white and the screen is quite small, but there were other factors i liked and the price was right.

Have a look at Ken Rockwell's reviews too... http://www.kenrockwe...canon/index.htm That guy is a hero.

I went to a dealership (not very local but reliable and fairly priced) in london. (Grays of Westminster) to have a look around, get some advice from the pros and hold some cameras. Then funnily enough, a week or two later i ended up buying a camera from one of their ebay auctions. They just auction off cameras that have been sitting around for a while. Anyway i went back up there to pick it up and they gave me some free lens cleaning kit and what have you - good stuff!

A general rule of thumb, especially with your first, is don't buy it 2nd hand off the internet without viewing it/knowing the source.

does that help?

I disagree with your point on Auto Focus. I never use Auto Focus, as it's annoying and you can't finely tune in on what you want.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I disagree with your point on Auto Focus. I never use Auto Focus, as it's annoying and you can't finely tune in on what you want.

For artistic still-life using manual focus is great but for snapshots or moving subjects, auto focus is much more important. If you have the option between a camera with great auto focus and a camera with not-so-great auto focus and the price isn't a huge difference, there's no reason not to go with the former.

Posted Image

40D with 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 would be my pick.

18-55mm is absolutely useless. My friend got one kitted with his D5000; it's less versatile than a Vegas hooker.

If you REALLY want wide-angle for landscape, sure, go for it. But for portraiture and general use, you'll definitely find the 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 on your body 90% of the time.

Ouchy mentioned autofocus. I tried manual focusing with a 50mm 1.8 through the viewfinder and the photos look like utter crap. If you're going to manual focus with a shallow DOF, you need Live View.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

For buying check out Amazon, eBay, google shopping, steve's digicams+ all those other small independant camera dealers. If you shop at tesco or sainsburys or somewhere like that that has points (club card, nectar) try the shops' websites because you might be able to get money off using the points. Camera review sites:

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/

http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/wiki/Digital+SLR+Cameras

Thousands more out there.

a1yza.png

This is my #1 response to these types of questions on /p/ so I figured I'll post it here too.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots