This Rule Makes No Sense, Honestly

Comical

One rule makes it so you can't speak a foreign language unless an English translation is provided. What's the point of having the rule? Can't they just say what they have to say in English then say "I'm not fluent in English"?

Comical.jpeg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People never make posts entirely in another language. But occasionally they like to post short phrases in another language because it fits the context of what is being discussed. It doesn't happen often, but I have seen it from time to time. We have to request that users provide a translation so we can know what's being said. I think that allowing posts in a foreign language with a translation is better than disallowing it all together :) At least it gives users an option.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

But, like I said, it defeats the purpose of actually being able to speak in the mother tongue.

But we simply cannot allow posts in a completely different language. There are two issues here:

• English is the primary language of this forum. If we allowed people to speak in other languages, it would greatly fragment discussions.

• Moderation. Forum moderators and administrators need to be able to understand everything that is being said. If no translation is provided, we have no way of knowing if what is being said is actually appropriate.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

But, like I said, it defeats the purpose of actually being able to speak in the mother tongue.

But we simply cannot allow posts in a completely different language. There are two issues here:

• English is the primary language of this forum. If we allowed people to speak in other languages, it would greatly fragment discussions.

• Moderation. Forum moderators and administrators need to be able to understand everything that is being said. If no translation is provided, we have no way of knowing if what is being said is actually appropriate.

• Nobody said we couldn't change that. Lest there be a technical barrier we can easily change that. I'd like to know who's in charge of this cartel forum.
  • Ever heard of Google Translate? Sure, it can be complete garbage at times but it helps. Maybe a way to integrate it into the forums.

Comical.jpeg

• Nobody said we couldn't change that. Lest there be a technical barrier we can easily change that. I'd like to know who's in charge of this cartel forum.
  • Ever heard of Google Translate? Sure, it can be complete garbage at times but it helps. Maybe a way to integrate it into the forums.

• With 15 different languages being spoken, it can get quite difficult to communicate(the whole point of forums). That's why countries have primary languages, it doesn't make them cartels, it makes them unified. Besides, there are other forums for Runescape fansites in different countries.
  • Too much work, and if the first bullet is followed, then we don't really need it. Besides, the only time a different language is spoken, is usually if the poster uses a phrase or a quote, so it's not too difficult to translate into english.

Well, as for any automatic translator...

• Someone said that we can not change it. Lest there a technical hurdle that we can easily be changed. I know who is in charge of this committee want to stage.
  • Never heard of Google Translate? Sure, this rubbish be completed in time but it can helps. May include a sense in this forum.

Anyone who speaks enough english to frequent these forums can translate better than that :smile:

I fail to see why this rule is such a problem for you. There are obvious reasons why TIF can't (all moderators can't be multi-lingual), but it seems to me they're being as accommodating as possible.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

One rule makes it so you can't speak a foreign language unless an English translation is provided. What's the point of having the rule? Can't they just say what they have to say in English then say "I'm not fluent in English"?

Conversely, what issues are raised by the current policy?

Given an uncertain translation to English as well as a fluent post in another language gives us a better chance of properly understanding the person than only the former; it gives those among us who may be uncomfortable with English the opportunity to ensure that their intended point is present in their post, even if some forum members are unable to understand it unaided.

Because Runescape is a game originated in England, which the mother language IS English. Since Tip.It is based around a game of said country, naturally the preffered language would be English. Especially since 9/10 of the users are fluent speakers of said language. If you say to use Google Translate, whats stopping the very small minority from using it also? We have had players, like a german user who post in both the mother language but do a quick google translate because it helps both us and himself for communication to be understood easily.

As for our overlord of the forum, that would be Silverion, whom (I think) isn't a naturally english speaker (motherland wise) but does speak it.

Popoto.~<3

[*]Never heard of Google Translate? Sure, this rubbish be completed in time but it can helps. May include a sense in this forum.

bing has a decent translator to

The once was a mexican called pepsi,

Or maybe it's just he had Hep C,

He was a pretty cool bro,

Bros generally are you know,

He hailed from the land of 'taters,

He was known to hate many-a-hater,

He likes a girl named Lacey,

His thoughts about her are kind of racy,

And also his dad likes to [rooster].

Then why don't you disallow foreign languages all together? You say you can speak the mother tongue with a translation... rendering the ability to speak in the mother tongue redundant. I don't know why it's so hard to comprehend my point. Sure, we've ruled out the "all", that leaves the "nothing" part.

Comical.jpeg

Your question has already been answered: now people can put short phrases, mostly quotes, in a different language. I.e. If I want to quote a dutch phrase, it usually sounds better in Dutch, so I put up the Dutch quote. However, I also provide a translation, so the people who don't speak dutch get a rough (yet worse sounding) estimate of the quote.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

Well I get what you're getting at now, four posts later.

That's a good point at least, but I think we want to give people the ability to read/write in their native tongue to some degree even if they have to know English as well.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Why disallow something completely when we don't have to? Allowing foreign languages with a translation doesn't hurt anyone. If it's between disallowing foreign languages all together and allowing them with a translation (which it is, because allowing them without a translation is not an option), then why not go with the option that gives users a little bit more freedom of expression?

Posted Image

Multi languages are used a lot in the Runescape General Forum. Many multilingual J-Mods post things that people would want to discuss, the rules now allow the user to post it, with a translation. Even more so when a twitter post is made.

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

Why disallow something completely when we don't have to? Allowing foreign languages with a translation doesn't hurt anyone. If it's between disallowing foreign languages all together and allowing them with a translation (which it is, because allowing them without a translation is not an option), then why not go with the option that gives users a little bit more freedom of expression?

If you want freedom of expression then why don't you just abate the translation policy? However, we've ruled that out, unless you want a repeal.

Comical.jpeg

If you want freedom of expression then why don't you just abate the translation policy? However, we've ruled that out, unless you want a repeal.

You already know why we can't do that. We do want freedom of expression but you have to weigh the pros and cons. There are more cons than pros with allowing foreign languages with no translation.

Pros:

• Users don't have to bother writing a translation when they post in a foreign language.

Cons:

• Discussion is fragmented and exclusive. As previously stated, all of our users speak English, but many don't speak any other language. If someone starts a discussion in another language, all the English-only speakers are left out. If someone contributes to an English discussion in another language, very few people who are already participating in the discussion will be able to understand that post. There is a good chance that it would be ignored all together.

• Moderators would not be able to moderate posts in a foreign language. There's no way for them to know if what is being said is appropriate or inappropriate. Yes they can use a translator, but translators are often very inaccurate, especially when it comes to inappropriate content (vulgar language, etc.). Many translators don't even translate things like swear words. And it would be very time-consuming and irksome for moderators to have to translate every post.

It shouldn't be difficult for users to provide a translation. We know they speak English at least reasonably well, otherwise they wouldn't be on an English-speaking fan site to begin with. This rule is not going to change, as there is no need for us to change it.

Posted Image

You already know why we can't do that. We do want freedom of expression but you have to weigh the pros and cons. There are more cons than pros with allowing foreign languages with no translation.

Pros:

• Users don't have to bother writing a translation when they post in a foreign language.

Cons:

• Discussion is fragmented and exclusive. As previously stated, all of our users speak English, but many don't speak any other language. If someone starts a discussion in another language, all the English-only speakers are left out. If someone contributes to an English discussion in another language, very few people who are already participating in the discussion will be able to understand that post. There is a good chance that it would be ignored all together.

• Moderators would not be able to moderate posts in a foreign language. There's no way for them to know if what is being said is appropriate or inappropriate. Yes they can use a translator, but translators are often very inaccurate, especially when it comes to inappropriate content (vulgar language, etc.). Many translators don't even translate things like swear words. And it would be very time-consuming and irksome for moderators to have to translate every post.

It shouldn't be difficult for users to provide a translation. We know they speak English at least reasonably well, otherwise they wouldn't be on an English-speaking fan site to begin with. This rule is not going to change, as there is no need for us to change it.

So we ruled out the "all" and added some overkill. So "nothing" is the option, like I have stated before. The main reason of why I started this topic because of the redundancy in the rule. Why not make it so that, save for quotes in a foreign language, disallow foreign languages in discussions in a general sense? Sure, it limits the expression part, but since we've ruled out letting users speak entirely in a foreign language, it's either stay or disallow all foreign languages, and I strongly disagree with keeping the current rule.

Comical.jpeg

Pros:

Cons:

So we ruled out the "all" and added some overkill. So "nothing" is the option, like I have stated before. The main reason of why I started this topic because of the redundancy in the rule. Why not make it so that, save for quotes in a foreign language, disallow foreign languages in discussions in a general sense? Sure, it limits the expression part, but since we've ruled out letting users speak entirely in a foreign language, it's either stay or disallow all foreign languages, and I strongly disagree with keeping the current rule.

The point is, there are some instances where it is necessary. For example, there are multiple languages for the Jagex website. Sometimes hints are put on there in a different language. (Just one example out of the many) If it was disallowed, then clearly that wouldn't be allowed either which would be annoying for those users.

I really don't see the problem with the rule right now. The old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" would certainly apply here in my opinion.

j0xPu5R.png

I'm just curious, is there an event that caused you to want this rule change?

As Mr. Red mentioned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't really see where this has been an issue. :?:

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!