Tip.It Times Writing Contest!

Official Tip.It Times Contest

With Jagex Prizes!

Running from October 21, 2010 to November 4, 2010 at 11:59:59 PM GMT

Contest Closed

Winners will be announced on a separate announcement within the next few days!

The Tip.It Times is an ongoing article to article based editorial hosted by Tip.It and managed by the Editorial Staff. For a limited time, submitting a Guest Article to the Tip.It Times will give you a chance to win a copy of T.S. Church's Betrayal at Falador if your article or story is chosen as one of the best! Not only that, we also have one copy of the book that is autographed by T.S. Church himself which will be drawn for between the top four winners. Read on for more details!

Dates: This contest begins as of the posting of this topic. The contest closes on November 4, 2010 at 11:59:59 PM GMT. All entries need to be submitted by this time.

Contest Description: In this contest, all those wishing to enter should choose if they want to submit a Fictional story or an Editorial article. You may only submit a piece for ONE category. All pieces of writing must be about or tied into RuneScape somehow to qualify. Pieces must be all original and your own work. Below are the guidelines we provide for people wishing to submit guest articles. Although they are not mandatory limitations, keeping within these guidelines will give your piece a much better chance in winning than if you ignore some or all of them.

• Word count can be flexible, but preferably somewhere around 600 words or so.
  • There all kinds of online dictionaries on the web - use one. Please be careful of your spelling and grammar. Articles will be judged in part on how well it reads, syntax, spelling, grammar and the whole nine yards.
  • Be sure to include a title!
  • No flaming or naming names, and no attacks on Jagex unless you have proof of what you're saying.
  • Fictional pieces should be tied into RuneScape.
  • Try not to rehash the same old topics over and over again. Read through the Tip.It Times Archives to make sure we haven't already published a number of articles on the topic you're about to write about.
  • Do your research and be as accurate as possible.
  • Lastly, if you're not sure about your article's topic, or if you have a question, ASK first.

Judging Process: Fictional and Editorial articles will be judged as separate categories. Each article will be given a mark for Mechanics (spelling, grammar, etc.) and a mark for the content of the article to create the total mark. Judges for this competition are a combination of staff members and editorial panel members.

Winning: The top 2 Fictional articles and the top 2 Editorial articles will be the winners of this competition.

Prizes: Each winner will receive a copy of the novel Betrayal at Falador and their articles will be published in the Tip.It Times over the course of two weeks (November 7 and November 14). An additional draw will be made between the 4 winners to determine who receives the copy that is autographed by the author T.S. Church!

To learn more about Betrayal at Falador and to read the first chapter, check out this page on the publisher's website: http://titanbooks.com/runescape-betrayal-at-falador-4809/

Submission Instructions: To submit your article, send it by forum PM to @Cowman_133 with the title "Contest Entry [Editorial]" or "Contest Entry [Fictional]" depending on which category you are entering for.

NB: By submitting an article you are giving us permission to publish it on the Tip.It Times. We may also keep other articles submitted during this contest that do not place for use in future issues of the Times. We will contact you as a courtesy if we decide to keep it on the backlog.

Additional Tips:

Before you submit an article, remember that thousands of people will read it. Make sure that you do, in fact, want your article published. Once your article has been published, it's too late to change your mind. If you DO change your mind after you submit an article, or you'd like to make some changes or update it, then you MUST contact @Cowman_133 as soon as possible. Tip.It assumes no responsibility for personal information you've included in the article that may be outdated or no longer valid.

Additionally, if you have a Did You Know fact that you think would be a good fit for the Times, please PM it to @Racheya. Before you do however, please make sure the fact is indeed "fact." Be sure to also include evidence via pic or a KB link where the information can be found and double checked.

Looking forward to seeing plenty of awesome articles! Remember, do not post your article here, PM them to @Cowman_133 with the title "Contest Entry [Editorial]" or "Contest Entry [Fictional]". Feel free to post any questions you may have.

small_book.png

1.png
generic_signature.png

oooh writing I'm so gonna have to have a go at this jsut need to think up a story.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I'm guessing non-winning articles will be kept in the ol' file cabinet for future use if needed?

Yep :)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Well alright then, just a week ago I was considering writing up an article for the Times anyway, might as well have a go now. Years of RuneScape should provide something decent for either one of the category, though I'll likely stick with the fictional one, I've been way out of the loop with RS for the past year or two to do something factual.

Profins.png

specty.png

So for a fictional story I have to make it around 600 words?

Srry but that's piss in the wind if you're writing a story, I hope that only applies to the editorial articles

600 words is a guideline and more of a minimum than a maximum :) Longer stories (and editorial articles) are welcome, but we're not looking for novels! To get an idea of what we expect for length, look through some previous fictional articles :)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Srry but that's piss in the wind if you're writing a story, I hope that only applies to the editorial articles

As Tripsis said this isn't a maximum or minimum word count, we just want it to be a guideline base amount to either aim for or exceed. We generally have a minimum of 600+ words for our own articles, but guest articles are lenient on this is there isn't a 'real' guideline. If you want to write more, go ahead! Ts_Stormrage's latest article was something like 2400 words! (Not that I'm expecting ANYTHING of that magnitude! :P)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

As Tripsis said this isn't a maximum or minimum word count, we just want it to be a guideline base amount to either aim for or exceed. We generally have a minimum of 600+ words for our own articles, but guest articles are lenient on this is there isn't a 'real' guideline. If you want to write more, go ahead! Ts_Stormrage's latest article was something like 2400 words! (Not that I'm expecting ANYTHING of that magnitude! :P)

Lol you shouldn't of told me that.

As part of my course I had to write 2,000 word story a week and more often than not I found it far too short and could of easily gone on to like 5,000 lol

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue