Hot Keys: Faster Reactions in Runescape

Toxicologist

As most of you know, many MMORPGs have "hotkeys" so you can assign certain items/actions to keys on your keyboard, and perform/use just by pressing a key.

One thing I have realised about Runescape is the lack of hotkeys: this becomes more obvious when you PK, especially in members PKing when things happen way faster. For example, let us say you are a mage Pking in deep Wilderness. You see a target. Well, you first need to go to your inventory and pot up, then go to your spellbook, click on "Teleblock" and click on your opponent, then click on "Entangle" and repeat, then open your prayer box and use the respective prayers, then click on the enemy and start attacking and switching back to inventory to start eating. Annoying, I should think; and also wastes precious time which can result in defeat or even death.

What I am suggesting is that Runescape implement the idea of hotkeys: you can assign an action (like Entangle, Teleblock, Teleport, Use Weapon Special, Run) or an item (like potions, food) to a key, so when you click that key you automatically execute the action or use the item. This means your character will be able to react faster when in tight situations like PKing.

A bonus to this idea is to make certain hotkeys perform certain emoticons (idea taken from Maple Story), such as F1 is Scared, F2 is Joy-Jump, F3 is Goblin Bow, etc. Hopefully this would encourage the use of emoticons more.

Summary: Implement assignable hotkeys into Runescape.

And because I was bored, a supporters list:

meol

cubed_boid

ancient1

matthewmjw

lpinkus

pennywise

Unrealist

donutjunkie

willyhenriksen

Mc_comix_yo

katsuro0

mageoftheage2

hazardmaster

bantam222

PlutoniumCross

Msk100

nicrune008

Drift_In_Blood

gunshafted

SW1NDLA

Philip_kolar

kriegstilf

MD666

And a critics list:

hunterdevil

j00b

dorker42

rambaldi

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is already a hotkey for Run: Control. :wink:

Nevertheless, I think that Hotkeys could be implemented without major problems, so, i support your idea.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

i dont really like the idea.. :? it would be to easy for the ones who is getting pked to run away.. :?

Maybe, but PKing is supposed to be hard :)

I like the hotkey idea. It's really "hot." (groan)

lpinkus

It might, but it also makes you respond faster and ultimately able to kill people more easier (you can quickly cast spells such as entangle, blood, teleblock, or use weapon specials and stuff), so it sort of evens it out.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

And food-eating, prayer-using and potion-drinking.

Personally I don't think much of the item equiping part, but that is because I am against hybrids.

~Toxicologist~

i think u should be able to assign them youselves, 0-9 on the key pad, because it really depends on what you do in runescape, for instance a pure mage isnt going to want his prayer book assigned as his 10 hot keys

But it is a very good idea and i support it

i finally quit runescape to play world of warcraft. i play on frostmourne, alliance

check out my thread

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=479665&highlight=

I support this idea, as it would not only make PKing easier (But on that note not necessarily, as other people have the same advantages), but it could make normal combat easier, or even changing outfits (IE: Christmas outfit 1, and Christmas Outfit 2).

They should be activated with the number keypad, but with Num(Ber) Lock off. Currently, with Num Lock off, you can spin the camera with 8, 4, 2, and 6. I say scrap that, and put hotkeys there :P

blackmbnaval,Mc%20Comix%20Yo.gif

Mc%20Comix%20Yo.gif

It is not a question of laziness (although I admit it is so to some degree), but a question of handiness and time-saving. For example: say you have 100 million gold pieces with you in the Wilderness (not likely of course, but bear with me), and you are in the Wilderness getting killed; the time taken to open your spellbook and click on teleport as opposed to just pressing a key on your keyboard can be the difference between life and death.

Lazy? So what, how would you like it if you have to cook a food five times before it is edible? isn't cooking it once lazy compared to cooking it five times? Which one do you prefer?

If laziness results in wasting time, I accept your accusation. But if it results in saving time, then you are a fool not to use it.

~Toxicologist~

Another wonderful idea from TOXICOLIGIST...I totally agree.They should definately be on the right-hand key-pad as there is no other place on the 'board...unless there's a window in the in-game menu stone-work - just open it and control 10 things from there

I'd put: eat,protect pray,5 choice spells and a tele

GLAD YULE TO ALL AND TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The control run hotkey only works when you press control and then click on the place you want to run to.

Personally I think it should make you run immediately when you press it while walking.

I might also add that to people who think this idea makes Runescape lazy: Aren't you lazy playing this game, instead of doing something useful? =P

~Toxicologist~