Tip.It Times - 5th December 2010

Racheya

I would have to agree with pawn here. He at no time directs any of his comments at the author only to the flaws he sees in the article itself.

With that said i feel pawn fails to realize that the author repeatedly uses phrases like "I think" to show that he is expressing an opinion and at no time claims it to be fact thus negating much of pawns basis for the argument such as the comment about needing numbers to back up his "Bold statement"

If he where stating it as fact then i too would expect statistics to back it up but because the author expressed this as an opinion by stating "I THINK it is fair to say that a significant amount of all MMO players got their first contact with the genre through Runescape." i don't feel there is a need to have numbers to back it up. I personally agree with this statement most of the people i know who play other MMO's got thier start in runescape.

Now in regards to runescape being the baby's first MMO id agree to the extent that you need to walk before you can run but the game bridges many levels of gamer experience. Therefore although it may offer a walking stage it by no means limits you to that. Ive played multiple MMOs including WOW, FF online, City of Heros/villians and Guild wars. I played WoW for a one month free trial i received and promptly quit after a week. Although it may have a older target age group i find the maturity levels of the WoW community lacking on virtually ever level resulting in it being incredibly unenjoyable to play.

i'm sorry sir but that is just an attack and we do not tolerate attacks on this thread, as noted in the rules in the first post:

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

I see no flaming or personal insults. He is expressing his dislike of the article (which is permitted) in a calm and constructive fashion.

I think bladewing was being ironic.

Honestly I think that that one thread that everyone critiqued Racheya's article is what he was referring to. I remember posts just like pawns being in that thread. :unsure:

Low_C.png

I really liked the "Babys first MMORPG" -article. I've been playing RS ever since I turned 10 years old back in the 2001. I must agree the game itself is not probably having the best graphics and it's missing quite a bit of cool type of content. However, I do enjoy RS especially becouse of it's easy accessability. I don't need to download big updates, have the best computer or fastest internet. I just open my browser and play. Also, I can play whenever I feel like it and as long (or short) time as I wish. I just log in and log out. I don't need to be making plans for completing longer "raids" or "quests". Or if I have, it's very rare.

I've been growing with the game, and that being said it's hard to get rid of it. I don't particularly play alot, so I'm not type of those gamers. I mostly just play old games I've played since few years back, because I just don't usually bother learning something completely new. Heroes III, RS and Elder Scrolls for the win. :shades:

u5zhkTY.gif

In reference to the article "Baby's First MMORPG" I actually played WoW before I knew what RS was and didn't care for the game play. When I was introduced to RS I found exactly what I was looking for, and RPG with multiple skills and quests. I am not the only member of my family who plays, my mother, my brother and two of my children play too!

"Baby's First MMORPG"

Loved this articlel, RuneScape is a very complex game which in my opinion teaches real life skills. In a world where youngsters think they can have it all, RuneScape shows that you have to work for what you get. People playing other games should come over to RuneScape and try it out for more than a couple of hours and then say that it is 'baby's first MMORPG'.

Yes, I am of the very much older generation around almost before electricity was invented, but I enjoy RuneScape for the diversity. I don't just have to run round killing things or skilling, I can sit in the general exchange and gosip or I can join in one of the many many events which other players put on 'just for fun'.

Baby's first MMORPG? Rubish. RuneScape is a community.

Well, the "Baby's first MMO" article motivated me to dust off my old tipit password and comment. I'm one of the very old timers; I got my start playing LPmuds. For those who don't remember these, they were text based, single instance (no multiple worlds here) and a large one had perhaps 300 players at a time. They also had pretty much all types of game styles - solo and team play; pure combat and skill based; quests and grinds; etc. Some had good newbie training areas; others pretty much assumed you'd played before.

From that background, I find that at least half the things mentioned in the "Baby's first MMO" article have nothing to do with accessibility or newbie appeal. Areas requiring huge teams are a matter of taste. Some love them; some hate them. Much depends on the player's schedule. (I have too many RL interruptions for effective teaming, as my pitiful dungeoneering level demonstrates.) Races are also a matter of taste. More interesting is the question about whether one character can experience the whole MMO. Some games restrict the number of things a single character can learn - a healer will never be a good tank, and vice versa. Others, like Runescape, do not. Each type has its advantages and its problems; neither one is more primitive than the other.

Other aspects do make Runescape more newbie friendly and more child friendly. Other games have some of them too. Many games only require payment when you get serious, though Runescape does this better than most, IMO. Many games allow payment without credit cards; check the relevant section of your local store. Some have decent newbie tutorials, though that seems a bit less common ;-) Many make things easier for a new character, so first levels come encouragingly fast. Some even play in a browser without requiring this year's hardware for non-frustrating performance.

What Runescape has that others of this type don't have is depth. It's more than just a killing fest, and new content doesn't just mirror the old with a new name. (Compare e.g. flyff for an example of the opposite.) I'd go so far as to class many of the others as more primitive, because of their lack of depth and variety. Thus Runescape can be both baby's first MMO, and grandfather's mainstay. Very few games can say that, sa I discover whenever I go shopping for a bit of variety in my game play; I've tried and rejected a lot of MMOs in the time I've been playing Runescape.

[hide=Wall of text]

This post is in regards to Necros "Baby's first MMORPG". I found the article poorly written, poorly backed up, and overall was a terrible read. I will explain why:

As a game' date=' Runescape has a very poor reputation with gamers in general and MMORPG players in particular. In pretty much any MMO, "goback2RS" is a commonly heard insult for players who play that particular game poorly. The insult is generally based on the idea that Runescape is a relatively simple MMORPG, and that its player base is relatively young.[/quote']

I have played several MMOs, and have never heard this insult yet. Even in World of Warcraft, not once. The author fails to have his premises support his conclusion, and the argument collapses on itself.

As I have noted many times before in my other articles' date=' the development of Runescape is relatively unique. In the past decade the development of an MMORPG has become a multi-million dollar investment, and Runescape stands out as one of the few games that started out as the simple hobby of a pair of brothers. Even though Runescape has grown massively over the years, its relatively simple roots are still visible all over the game. Compared to the big money MMORPGs, Runescape seems to be incredibly simple. No races, no character classes, no large scale dungeons that require 20 or more players teaming up to clear them.[/quote']

I don't see how a race/character aspect of a game makes it anymore complex at all, nor do dungeons make a game complex. If anything, it can be argued that skillers, pures, and mains are classes as each has its own purpose. Again, there is no clear connection between complexity and the traits the author has given. The author also fails to mention anything complex about RuneScape. PKing is very complex in itself. It requires the player to be in control and calm, make good judgements, and factor in many things around them in order to make a decision in a very short time period. PKing is not something anyone can do, unlike other games where you keep your items, RuneScape runs the risk of losing items, which is a strain on anyone. As for dungeons, we have dungeoneering which is very complex at higher levels.

All in all' date=' Runescape is indeed a lot simpler than most MMORPGs, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The game is definitely more accessible, and several updates over the past few years have made the starting game incredibly welcoming to newcomers. This simplicity is definitely part of the reason why Runescape is so popular with a younger audience.[/quote']

I am sure every MMORPG is popular with younger audiences, if not all games. You seem to imply RuneScapes player base is built upon a younger audience inclusively, this however is not the case. A very large portion of the game is made up of players in their later teens to mid 20s. I will give the author one thing however, the F2P community is defiantly a lot younger than the P2P. According to several (4 in total) web ranking sites, the average age seems to be between 18-24.

Of course' date=' that's only part of the equation. The fact that Runescape can be played from your browser on pretty much any computer built in the past decade means that the game can easily be played from school or work. Furthermore, the game is incredibly cheap, requiring no initial financial investment and very low (and optional) monthly fees. Additionally, payment options like prepaid cards and telephone payments mean that players don't even need a credit card (or an adult relative with one).[/quote']

Again, there is no link between what the author mentions and simplicity. The vast majority of MMORPGs have a F2P portion for their game, can be ran on laptops, and A LOT have the same payment options as RuneScape.

But this is why players of other MMOs should actually be grateful for the existence of Runescape. While I don't have any exact figures' date=' I think it is fair to say that a significant amount of all MMO players got their first contact with the genre through Runescape. Even if it isn't as grand or as flashy as other games are, Runescape is still a very good introduction to the genre. It can introduce players to all sorts of concepts that are unique to the MMORPG genre, such as the economy, the social interactions, team-based PvP on a large scale.[/quote']

The author is far too bold here in making this statement. If you do not have numbers, you should not claim anything. You are essentially assuming this is the case with no clear evidence what so ever. This is comparable to someone saying something like this: "I do not have an exact number, I think it is fair to say that most people had their first contact with the MMO genre in World of Warcraft". As you can see, without numbers and something to back yourself up with, your statement is dubious at best.

Furthermore, you are always talking about the uniqueness of RuneScape, but go on to say RuneScape serves as an introductory basis for other games in the very same things it is unique in. Essentially, you are saying RuneScape is different but it is the same.

/rant

[/hide]

That was well written. I agree. Although RS does have its detractors, mainly from people who never played it much, or at all, to the same extent any other MMO has its haters. Even WoW, outside of gamers, has people who look down on videogames as a waste of time. Its not exclusive to RS, its just from a different group of people. Just as reenactors make fun of "farbs", and "farbs" look down on reenactors for being "stitch nazi's".

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

i'm sorry sir but that is just an attack and we do not tolerate attacks on this thread, as noted in the rules in the first post:

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

Actually, it's not. It does contain valid reasons to why the article was, in his opinion, 'poorly written'. It is pretty much where I stand on reading the article. Sarcasm, I detect?

I do have a few personal reasons for why I have developed a dislike for RS, but none of those are mentioned in the article itself.

Random thought;

Do you guys think that JaGex knows much about their target audience, or is it because they want to make the game more 'fair' for the 'majority' of players, so they make controversial/unpopular updates?

I read through the first of the articles and have to say that I agree fully. Especially this statement:

"So is Runescape really "Baby's First MMORPG"? I suppose that in many ways it is, but that's definitely not a negative thing."

It is true indeed. One of the biggest reasons to why RuneScape is as big and great as it is today is just that it is so easy to access. You can play it from pretty much anywhere, in your own browser. I find this to be awesome.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak