Tip.It Times - 5th December 2010

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

For the "baby MMO" article, I guess I have thought about playing other MMOs. I just don't relish the idea of starting a charecter from scratch again. Plus, cost has kept me from even looking at several MMOs. I think the Lego one could be a lot of fun, but money, and also I heard that the gameplay ends fairly fast, then you have to make your own fun.

I like the fiction article, keep up the good work.

With choice, I am torn on the issue. I like decisions to not be so permanent. Like, having to choose between two awesome items. I don't know if the elite armor choice is permanent or not, but I'd like to be able to switch the colors. I do agree that seeing every high level player in identical armor sucks.

Diomedus.png

Diomedus.png

War is not about who's right, it's about who's left

I agree, I think the Void armour was a nice touch - it reflects your choice in the quest, but you can change it if you want. RS has so far never been a game where you had to choose one item over another (at least, permanently...*glares at crystal chime which I can't have with crystal saw for some pointless arbitrary reason*.....)

Anyhoo, yeah, one thing I like about RS is you don't have to pick one item over another or get one reward over another permanently. Sure, we choose the crystal weapon we get, *mumbles about crystal tools angrily* we have to choose one of 3 gauntlets from the Family Crest quest, the void quest... but we can change all these things. I like it this way.

Frankly, I don't think having to choose between two awesome items is TOO bad, as long as we can switch it up; although I'd still like both lol.

Fictional is good; however, I didn't like the part where the seer gives them all a drink and they cough/splutter/etc. The Fremnik are supposed to be heavy drinkers and it seems very un-Fremminik like to not be able to handle it.

Still, good articles over all. I have to agree with Kimberly, if Necro has lots of experience of both WoW and RS, it'd be nice to hear about it :)

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

You did have choice before and one that was very permanent. Back in the day, you were not able to change your gauntlets from Family Crest arbitrarily. You got to make the choice once and then you were stuck with it. As such, I remember planning ahead and making sure I picked the ones I wanted (I believe at that point, I preferred the cooking ones) to not be stuck with a pair I would hardly ever use. Later this got updated to allow you to change when you wanted for a fee, but before that your choice was indeed permanent and affecting your future.

Bringing us back to your point that people will plan to pick the item they find most useful and not go with the answers they believe in.

10y3vig.png

proudtitan.png

Fictional is good; however, I didn't like the part where the seer gives them all a drink and they cough/splutter/etc. The Fremnik are supposed to be heavy drinkers and it seems very un-Fremminik like to not be able to handle it.

Notorious beer drinkers, yes! But drinking whiskey thats a good deal stronger for the first time will make even the toughest beer drinker scrape his throat a few times... Back in the day, they did not dilute whiskey down to 40% volume alcohol, and kept it around the 65~70% it often is when at casket strength...

I'm unaware of any hard liquor present in any of the Fremennik lands, so after my research at the local pub, I decided that some (not all) would have trouble drinking it for the first time...

Glad you liked it though, but we're not done yet :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Fictional is getting better with every time, I'm really enjoying it. Just one thing that seemed a bit strange to me:

"The blanket of snow did not seem as thick in Kandarin as in our own lands, but the ground beneath us was not frozen."

Why use "but" here? Both statements support each other instead of contradicting. So does but even make any sense here? Might be because I'm not a native english-speaker but it just sounds strange to me.

Choice: Totally agree! Now if the choices made in a quest did actually change the quest itself or future quest based on that, this would be awesome :P

"Choice" wastes time making a long list of every single piece of content in the game that lets you choose something while I'm sitting here waiting for the author to get to the point. That kind of pointless padding is not the sort of thing I want to see in a good article.

Re: Choice

Back in 2002, Jagex released a quest called Family Crest with rewards being a pair of enchantable gauntlets. The player got to choose between Smithing, Cooking & Magic gauntlets, each benefiting a different skill in the game. The initial abilities of the Family Crest gauntlets were permanent - you were not able to change between the Cooking, Smithing & Magic gaunts. It was only after a long time that Jagex relented to player grumbling and made them changeable - for a price.

I do not believe the player base is any more willing now to accept the permanent consequences of choice than they were in the early 2000s.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

The first article is very interesting for me as i've never personally heard of rs having as bad reputation among other mmo communities- i've always stayed with a belief that only focusing on/playing one game allows you to have the most fun and be most successful at it. As much as i've heard of other games and can appreciate them there is one thing about rs that wasn't mentioned in the article- even though it might be one of the easiest and accessible games, it is also one of the hardest to 'complete' and achieve every major achievement, thus packing the most gameplay.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

The first article is very interesting for me as i've never personally heard of rs having as bad reputation among other mmo communities-

Well, from my experience I can say that I have been called Geek/Nerd + a few other names when I tell people that I play RS.

One of the things people almost always ask me is; why do I play a game with such awful graphic ? - I tell them that the game now has a HD version (I still play on low detail) for those who has the rig to run it, but they still cannot understand why I play when there are so many other great and beautiful looking MMORPGs to choose from !

Comments to Runescape: Baby's First MMORPG?

I got to play RS because I stumpled across it one day about 5 years ago (or was it 6 years !) and eventhough I'm not a D&D player I still found it to my liking because unlike every other D&D game (that I know of) Runescape don't lock my character's class never to be changed again I really like the freedom of changing class as I please and that is why I play this game and not one of the other MMORPGs

Baby's First MMORPG?

I couldn't agree more. I'm of the older generation :). Yes some recent games have better graphics, but so what?

I like RS, I don't do quests or mini games. Just train, fight a bit, and talk a lot.

I don't even consider looking at other games.

Fictionnal article is really good. I like. Really fun to follow, nice job Storm.

(When all parts are put together, I'll reread it.)

Been playing since 2004 btw, .....Andre

Andre the Giant (Gentle Giant)

Recently a friend who didn't know I play RS tried to get me to try out wow for some discount price. Well I told him that one mmorpg is enough for me and he asked what mmorpg i play then. After i answered Runescape his response was "you are not serious, are you?", "wouldn't it be time to alread upgrade for something better?", "it's just some grindfest what i have tried", "it has so [cabbage]ty graphics too", "has it any content even?", "i like the teamwork aspect in wow". Strictly speaking he couldn't understand why in the heck i was playing RS instead of something more shiny and better game :P

I have to admit I have never even tried any other mmorpg. But if i'm happy with rs and already used so much time with it why would i change? All i'd get would be same [cabbage] with different cover (and frustration to start all over so to speak).

While RS to him was clearly a baby of mmorpgs to me it's the king of the mmorpgs :)

"Choice" wastes time making a long list of every single piece of content in the game that lets you choose something while I'm sitting here waiting for the author to get to the point. That kind of pointless padding is not the sort of thing I want to see in a good article.

To be honest I had no idea they'd actually published it. I realized how much the article sucked long after submitting it :lol: Nor did I know that FC was permanent.

Do wish someone would have told me about it though :razz:

Love this week's Times. I agree with the articles especial the first one. And Mr. Author (forgot your name, lol!) they told you a geek because you play RS? That's the most hypocritical insult I have ever read! And they play even nerdier games!

La Vallett1

A.k.a. "Nostalgic Vallett"

What's been said must be done.

To be honest I had no idea they'd actually published it. I realized how much the article sucked long after submitting it :lol: Nor did I know that FC was permanent.

Do wish someone would have told me about it though :razz:

Guest article choices are usually made at time of publishing so there's no time to get pre-approval. That's why we say guest articles may be used at any time without warning. When submitting for the writing contest we did say all articles would be kept as potential guest articles. I don't think it's a bad article, it looks at an interesting topic which we haven't covered recently.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I liked all the articles, 'Baby's first MMORPG' seemed particularly relevant to me because I play RS because it's free and doesn't require specific software or nice graphics cards and junk.

Also enjoying the fictional!

This post is in regards to Necros "Baby's first MMORPG". I found the article poorly written, poorly backed up, and overall was a terrible read. I will explain why:

As a game' date=' Runescape has a very poor reputation with gamers in general and MMORPG players in particular. In pretty much any MMO, "goback2RS" is a commonly heard insult for players who play that particular game poorly. The insult is generally based on the idea that Runescape is a relatively simple MMORPG, and that its player base is relatively young.[/quote']

I have played several MMOs, and have never heard this insult yet. Even in World of Warcraft, not once. The author fails to have his premises support his conclusion, and the argument collapses on itself.

As I have noted many times before in my other articles' date=' the development of Runescape is relatively unique. In the past decade the development of an MMORPG has become a multi-million dollar investment, and Runescape stands out as one of the few games that started out as the simple hobby of a pair of brothers. Even though Runescape has grown massively over the years, its relatively simple roots are still visible all over the game. Compared to the big money MMORPGs, Runescape seems to be incredibly simple. No races, no character classes, no large scale dungeons that require 20 or more players teaming up to clear them.[/quote']

I don't see how a race/character aspect of a game makes it anymore complex at all, nor do dungeons make a game complex. If anything, it can be argued that skillers, pures, and mains are classes as each has its own purpose. Again, there is no clear connection between complexity and the traits the author has given. The author also fails to mention anything complex about RuneScape. PKing is very complex in itself. It requires the player to be in control and calm, make good judgements, and factor in many things around them in order to make a decision in a very short time period. PKing is not something anyone can do, unlike other games where you keep your items, RuneScape runs the risk of losing items, which is a strain on anyone. As for dungeons, we have dungeoneering which is very complex at higher levels.

All in all' date=' Runescape is indeed a lot simpler than most MMORPGs, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The game is definitely more accessible, and several updates over the past few years have made the starting game incredibly welcoming to newcomers. This simplicity is definitely part of the reason why Runescape is so popular with a younger audience.[/quote']

I am sure every MMORPG is popular with younger audiences, if not all games. You seem to imply RuneScapes player base is built upon a younger audience inclusively, this however is not the case. A very large portion of the game is made up of players in their later teens to mid 20s. I will give the author one thing however, the F2P community is defiantly a lot younger than the P2P. According to several (4 in total) web ranking sites, the average age seems to be between 18-24.

Of course' date=' that's only part of the equation. The fact that Runescape can be played from your browser on pretty much any computer built in the past decade means that the game can easily be played from school or work. Furthermore, the game is incredibly cheap, requiring no initial financial investment and very low (and optional) monthly fees. Additionally, payment options like prepaid cards and telephone payments mean that players don't even need a credit card (or an adult relative with one).[/quote']

Again, there is no link between what the author mentions and simplicity. The vast majority of MMORPGs have a F2P portion for their game, can be ran on laptops, and A LOT have the same payment options as RuneScape.

But this is why players of other MMOs should actually be grateful for the existence of Runescape. While I don't have any exact figures' date=' I think it is fair to say that a significant amount of all MMO players got their first contact with the genre through Runescape. Even if it isn't as grand or as flashy as other games are, Runescape is still a very good introduction to the genre. It can introduce players to all sorts of concepts that are unique to the MMORPG genre, such as the economy, the social interactions, team-based PvP on a large scale.[/quote']

The author is far too bold here in making this statement. If you do not have numbers, you should not claim anything. You are essentially assuming this is the case with no clear evidence what so ever. This is comparable to someone saying something like this: "I do not have an exact number, I think it is fair to say that most people had their first contact with the MMO genre in World of Warcraft". As you can see, without numbers and something to back yourself up with, your statement is dubious at best.

Furthermore, you are always talking about the uniqueness of RuneScape, but go on to say RuneScape serves as an introductory basis for other games in the very same things it is unique in. Essentially, you are saying RuneScape is different but it is the same.

/rant

i'm sorry sir but that is just an attack and we do not tolerate attacks on this thread, as noted in the rules in the first post:

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

i'm sorry sir but that is just an attack and we do not tolerate attacks on this thread, as noted in the rules in the first post:

I see no flaming or personal insults. He is expressing his dislike of the article (which is permitted) in a calm and constructive fashion.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

As for the runescape is babies game article, I couldn't disagree anymore.

WOW is a babies game.

Just mash buttons and make sure you pick the most over powered class.

You won't learn anything in RS that can help you there.

RS is more complex than that.

RS has trade, a stock exchange, the constant need to learn and reinvent ways to train skills to maximize rewards and minimize boredom and cost.

Most importantly ,RS is one of the few games were you can carve out your own way in the mmo world instead of being a scrub.

As for graphics, if you played the games I had as a kid, then you would realize that the graphics aren't that bad.

Gameplay is everything.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Well, I've been away for a little while, but trying to read each update on the times when I can. Nice to see some new-ish topics being brought up, also seemingly the majority are to a better standard grammatically which I like a lot. Enjoying the progression of the fictional article, but as pointed out elsewhere there are still a few odd phrases that don't add up. Still, as I don't really have the time to offer edits myself, I'll not bother restating past criticisms. :)

I would like to know what doesnt add up in the fictional... Perhaps only if to prevent the mistake (or correct it) in the next chapter...

Feel free to PM me if you feel it doesnt belong here, or if is not as severe a mistake but rather just needs some clarification...

If anything; its my first proper attempt ever at a fictional (srsly, I've never ever written anything fictional other then a prelude to the massive fansite v fansite steel war), so plz be gentle :D

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!