Graphics Card and Overheating

Divine_Hero

As I posted in an earlier post, I asked if a better graphics card would help get me better fps. My second question with that would be, if only spending $200, what would be an excellent graphics card to get for my Desktop, not my laptop?

About the overheating issue. I have a Radeon 3200 graphics card, came with my laptop. I run Runescape in HD, as it won't work in anything else. I run it in Directx and Opengl, both cause my laptop to overheat, and when it overheats, it drops the fps, lags everything I'm doing to cool it down. I have a cooling pad, and it was working fine for a long time. I sometimes open my window in my room to keep cool air coming in. Doing so keeps the laptop running well. The thing is, I need to know if I can fix this without making myself super cold. This is only on Runescape, when it lags. Should I keep it running in Opengl or Directx?

vNewDisease.png vNewDisease.png

~I am a true Hero.~

Nvidia cards are better optimized for running Runescape. A lot. I would swap my Radeon 5870 for anything...

OpenGL seems more stable for Runescape as well.

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

Nvidia cards are better optimized for running Runescape. A lot. I would swap my Radeon 5870 for anything...

I run Runescape perfectly fine at max fps with my Radeon 5850. Besides Radeon cards are less expensive and still run great.

Anyways for a little over $200 before taxes you could get this card which is one of the top Radeon models. Or if you're looking for something a bit cheaper there's this or this.

My Radeon 5770 runs great for everything I've put at it (medium-high settings), but I don't play RS anymore. I did sign on once recently, and iirc the images took a bit to load, but ran very smoothly. So maybe it is optimized for nVidia, but idk for sure.

Also, what else do you plan to run? If you're just going to be playing RS, then you don't need to spend $200, methinks.

PS. I'm almost certain that Intel cores run nVidia graphics smoother, and AMD with ATI. Cross-producting and whatnot. But again, I'm not an expert. I just like to bring these things up.

EDIT: ATI is a sub-company of AMD (they actually refer to the GPUs as AMD GPUs now), so yeah.

I'd grab a 460 1GB if your PSU can handle it, if not get a 6850 (I believe it sucks half the power)

Good consumer advice for RS :thumbup:.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

What PSU do you have and whats the max wattage? Need to know because it needs tobe enough for a new GPU. If its enough i would recommend a EVGA GTX 460 1GB the non SE version. Really good card and its cheap.

v2vh5l.png

PS. I'm almost certain that Intel cores run nVidia graphics smoother, and AMD with ATI. Cross-producting and whatnot. But again, I'm not an expert. I just like to bring these things up.

EDIT: ATI is a sub-company of AMD (they actually refer to the GPUs as AMD GPUs now), so yeah.

This would have to be the reason! Because im running a intel cpu, and a amd graphics card... well yea, fml -.-

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

Ugh you people need to stop recommending this kid top of the line video cards for Runescape. Especially when he says he needs to "upgrade to 2GB ram".

OP, what are your current specs and power supply. These are sort of important because chances are some of these cards people are recommended would be overkill at best, at worst wouldn't even fit into your machine or would cause the power supply to blow.

For Runescape I would go with one of the mid-range cards. People are recommending $200 cards when all you need is something like a 5570 which costs $65 ($55 after MiR).

I don't want to call you out Adam, but this is totally false.

Nvidia hates Intel for locking them out of the chip-set market.

Ugh you people need to stop recommending this kid top of the line video cards for Runescape. Especially when he says he needs to "upgrade to 2GB ram".

OP, what are your current specs and power supply. These are sort of important because chances are some of these cards people are recommended would be overkill at best, at worst wouldn't even fit into your machine or would cause the power supply to blow.

For Runescape I would go with one of the mid-range cards. People are recommending $200 cards when all you need is something like a 5570 which costs $65 ($55 after MiR).

He asked for a $200 card, so I gave him advice on a $200 card.

You realize a lot of people think computer parts cost a lot more than they really do, right? People seem to think you need to spend thousands and thousands to get a good computer when that just isn't the case.

Point is telling him a $200 card when all he plays is runescape is just sort of wasting the guy money (and the card might not even work for him).

You realize a lot of people think computer parts cost a lot more than they really do, right? People seem to think you need to spend thousands and thousands to get a good computer when that just isn't the case.

Point is telling him a $200 card when all he plays is runescape is just sort of wasting the guy money (and the card might not even work for him).

While I very strongly agree with you, spending thousands of dollars on a computer only happens when they get kind of decent prebuilt. I still regret getting a prebuilt HP for $2k 5 years ago. At least I'm now on a computer that is much stronger and that I built myself for $600.

Anyway, prebuilt being, that's why people think computers cost much more than they actually do.

I don't want to call you out Adam, but this is totally false.

Oh.

While I very strongly agree with you, spending thousands of dollars on a computer only happens when they get kind of decent prebuilt. I still regret getting a prebuilt HP for $2k 5 years ago. At least I'm now on a computer that is much stronger and that I built myself for $600.

Anyway, prebuilt being, that's why people think computers cost much more than they actually do.

(hint: that was my point.)

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not sure if I said that I'd prefer getting all of this for my desktop or not, as my laptop cannot get anything to help it. My desktop is somewhat old, probably from 2001-2005, I don't remember. Either way, I need a graphics card that will make it run anywhere from 30-50 fps normally. I play RS on my laptop with 10-25 fps using HD, which is kind of sad, as everyone else does this with 30-50.. I am sure my desktop can handle a new graphics card and what not. But I need something from $50-$130 that will get me 30-50 fps. I'm not sure which on will do this, but I also need to make sure I have the money to afford it all. The desktop has 512mb of RAM, and if I get a card that say 1gb Ram or whatever, does that add 1gb? I'm not real sure why it says that. >.>

vNewDisease.png vNewDisease.png

~I am a true Hero.~

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not sure if I said that I'd prefer getting all of this for my desktop or not, as my laptop cannot get anything to help it. My desktop is somewhat old, probably from 2001-2005, I don't remember. Either way, I need a graphics card that will make it run anywhere from 30-50 fps normally. I play RS on my laptop with 10-25 fps using HD, which is kind of sad, as everyone else does this with 30-50.. I am sure my desktop can handle a new graphics card and what not. But I need something from $50-$130 that will get me 30-50 fps. I'm not sure which on will do this, but I also need to make sure I have the money to afford it all. The desktop has 512mb of RAM, and if I get a card that say 1gb Ram or whatever, does that add 1gb? I'm not real sure why it says that. >.>

the 1GB of ram is dedicated to graphics, nothing else can use it. I personally have this card in my computer, which I built a couple months ago, and for $60 it can run just about any game you can imagine. Runescape would be a breeze for this card. If you are willing to spend so much on just a graphics card, have you considered just buying/building a computer? you would get a lot better performance.

Proud Ubuntu User!

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people. -Scott Adams

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.-Emo Phillips

My Blog!

TyrantElf.png

TyrantElf.png

If you have that old of a PC and want to spend $200 on a graphics card, I suggest re-prioritizing upgrades. Atm, a $200 range will get you a GTX460 or similiar card (Radeon 5850?), but if you're running that old of a rig, a new card would be a waste. There would be a considerable bottleneck caused by CPU