What would the interest be?

Wisp

So I've been gone a long time. I definitely should have kept in better touch, but I didn't really have a secure computer for a while, plus an abundance of personal issues I won't bother all of you with. Anyways, I'm not gonna be terribly active I don't think, but would anyone be interested in playing some version of a Hegemony. I don't really want to mod one, but I'd like to play one. I understand space is similar to dungeoneering and hegemony, but I'd rather have a straight up control-a-country hegemony. Would anyone want to play this? If there's already some version out there under a different name that I didn't notice, I apologize.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Mather and Resistance are working on a new modless hegemony. Everyone is V excited. :rolleyes:

Beyond that, EU3 is the only hegemony-esc game being worked on at the moment, which requires you to own EU3 and one of the expansion packs...Heir to the Throne, I think.

Oh, and Battle of the Seven Kingdoms, though that might have died, I don't know.

Welcome back, by the way.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

I don't have 30$ to put down right now, since it's no longer on sale so I'll have to wait on that one.

Plus I like games set in the 1900s-2000s better than futuristic or colonial/industrial games. I'll look into it though.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Yay Wisp is back! :)

Hegemony is a bit of a dead horse, though there may be those who disagree. Space is fun, it's really in a category of its own, but it's your choice as to whether or not you give it a try.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I figure it's been quite some time without a real hegemony going. I'm gonna atleast write up a quick idea behind it, it couldn't hurt.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Hello Wisp, I haven't introduced myself to you yet; I'm Resistace my interests include reading, graphic design and homework. I have been speculating ambout starting a new hegemony thread but don't expect it from me any time soon, I like working slowly so it probably would be ready in the time that you would want or even expect. I have been discussing combat systems with Mather and we seem to have come up with a 'flawless' and easy system to use.

This is a project I will be running by myself but will be asking for help with some bits.

qTLQRuS.png

I've never really been into hegenomy games, although i'd give it a shot if there wasn't anything like.. oh...'Say, Retech, you don't have enough money to make that tank armada you've been planning on'. 'What!?' (Retech fudges figures a bit to egt the money) 'Of course I do!'. 'Oh, jolly good then, one overpowered tank armada coming up!'

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Speaking of which...A Space type Colony game would be interesting.

Starts on Earth, you can choose anything that exists today, with a 10 b/million budget and 100 tonne limit.

You pick 10 levels for yourself: Technology, Recon, Engineering, Defence, Building, Offence, Medical, Leadership...ect, and 3 levels for your second in command. You default as level 1.

Pick a 1,000 colonists (Scientists/whatever).

Take off.

Orbit planet X, given 5 starting locations. If you don't like any you can wait till next year for 5 more.

Can choose to work together or seperate.

Build the hometown, and go from there.

Research is puzzle based, Technology level adds 1 to the worth of the puzzles and levels in the specific type of research multiplies the worth.

So...Puzzle worth 5, being invested into strength drugs, with level 2 Tech and level 4 Medical, gives 28 points.

As such researching strength drugs if you are an engineer battle warrior is going to be very time consuming.

Tech techs, like Solar Satalites, work the same way, +tech level, *tech level.

Space travel is strictly prohibited, satalites are fine.

Super weapons, wacky teck and such are not disallowed under 'The Charter', meaning if you use them, or get found to have them, you will get hit with dissent, riots and generally bad stuff.

You can still research and build them though.

Charter also defines what people will accept, so if you decide to go communist warmonger and the charter says peaceloving democracy, then people will migrate.

However, the Charter can be ammended by votes... Number of colonists increase your votes proportionally...aka 1,000 people out of 10,000 equals 1 in 10 votes, if your pop increases by 1,000 then it would be 2 in 11 votes...2,000 out of 11,000 people.

Charter can also be suspended, which lets you, and everyone else, do pretty much anything you like.

Ammendments are universal...aka you can't specify 'People of city X cannot bear arms'.

You can level up by completing random event missions, such as featured in EU3. Explore beyond X, build an outpost here, discover a source of Y, have a more advanced fighter than Z, civilise the natives at B, kill the beast of sandy dune 23....ect.

Battles and whatnot are based on the quality/quanity of the troops/weapons, and their leader's Offensive/Defensive qualities. Leadership give you the chance to spring ambushes, killing fields, or avoid them, which increase the casualties.

Not having a leader is usually a bad thing.

Money is ignored. If you want to produce gun X then you need a source of material to make the gun and ammo for the gun, and somewhere to make it.

Troops are just colonists with guns, if you want to create a professional army then include soliders in your original loadout...or send colonists into battle until they get better at it.

Once you have proper soliders you can train more.

Population increases with new medicines, farming tools and whatnot...and 1% per month.

It is your responsibility to think of things that might go wrong and take steps to bypass them.

AKA, build an armoury so guns are not just left in the road for anyone to pick up.

Speaking of which...A Space type Colony game would be interesting.

Starts on Earth, you can choose anything that exists today, with a 10 b/million budget and 100 tonne limit.

You pick 10 levels for yourself: Technology, Recon, Engineering, Defence, Building, Offence, Medical, Leadership...ect, and 3 levels for your second in command. You default as level 1.

Pick a 1,000 colonists (Scientists/whatever).

Take off.

Orbit planet X, given 5 starting locations. If you don't like any you can wait till next year for 5 more.

Can choose to work together or seperate.

Build the hometown, and go from there.

Research is puzzle based, Technology level adds 1 to the worth of the puzzles and levels in the specific type of research multiplies the worth.

So...Puzzle worth 5, being invested into strength drugs, with level 2 Tech and level 4 Medical, gives 28 points.

As such researching strength drugs if you are an engineer battle warrior is going to be very time consuming.

Tech techs, like Solar Satalites, work the same way, +tech level, *tech level.

Space travel is strictly prohibited, satalites are fine.

Super weapons, wacky teck and such are not disallowed under 'The Charter', meaning if you use them, or get found to have them, you will get hit with dissent, riots and generally bad stuff.

You can still research and build them though.

Charter also defines what people will accept, so if you decide to go communist warmonger and the charter says peaceloving democracy, then people will migrate.

However, the Charter can be ammended by votes... Number of colonists increase your votes proportionally...aka 1,000 people out of 10,000 equals 1 in 10 votes, if your pop increases by 1,000 then it would be 2 in 11 votes...2,000 out of 11,000 people.

Charter can also be suspended, which lets you, and everyone else, do pretty much anything you like.

Ammendments are universal...aka you can't specify 'People of city X cannot bear arms'.

You can level up by completing random event missions, such as featured in EU3. Explore beyond X, build an outpost here, discover a source of Y, have a more advanced fighter than Z, civilise the natives at B, kill the beast of sandy dune 23....ect.

Battles and whatnot are based on the quality/quanity of the troops/weapons, and their leader's Offensive/Defensive qualities. Leadership give you the chance to spring ambushes, killing fields, or avoid them, which increase the casualties.

Not having a leader is usually a bad thing.

Money is ignored. If you want to produce gun X then you need a source of material to make the gun and ammo for the gun, and somewhere to make it.

Troops are just colonists with guns, if you want to create a professional army then include soliders in your original loadout...or send colonists into battle until they get better at it.

Once you have proper soliders you can train more.

Population increases with new medicines, farming tools and whatnot...and 1% per month.

It is your responsibility to think of things that might go wrong and take steps to bypass them.

AKA, build an armoury so guns are not just left in the road for anyone to pick up.

I'd play.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Logical! It may not be my forte, but it sounds fun.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Might be interesting. :thumbup:

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

So it'd people controlling a certain number of colonists on a newly colonized planet, and we each form our own civilizations/cities/countries, or work together and whatnot? A cool idea would is we get a map of the planet, but we don't know the specifics of the terrain (ie: mountains, desert, forest, etc) so exploration is important. I would definitely play.

The only thing is I think that we need to make it player controlled enough that people have stuff to do when the mod isn't around or doing a session. People should be able to build their city, manage resources etc. all on their own, and the mod/other people will stop them if they do something wrong.

The mod should be needed though for things like exploration, war, etc.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Is research going to be useful? If it is, I am highly interested. :P

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

I also think that to make the game more interesting, as research goes on players should do "press releases" about their technology along the lines of "Altranian Lab announced today that their latest research into transdifferential quantum particles has yielded unprecedented results, it was found that the TDQ particles will do bla bla bla" and if players keep technology secret for a long time, their people will get pissed off once they finally do reveal it. This is so wars don't end up being :

Nukarania sends 20,000 troops to mexistan

Mexistan deploys it's secret flying laser boats, killing 10,000 troops

Nukarania responds by unveiling it's secret nanotech cold fusion rail gun IN SPACE

Or atleast have something to add a bit more rp to the game, and to make it so people just don't keep all their technology secret and have secret weapons everywhere and all that.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

That makes sense.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

I dunno, today a lot of research isn't even government based. Heck, I wouldn't mind making a full tech nation that sells research teams for specific tasks in turn for protection and cash.

Also people wont get pissed if you hide technology in real life, especially if it is military tech.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

A cool idea would is we get a map of the planet, but we don't know the specifics of the terrain (ie: mountains, desert, forest, etc) so exploration is important. I would definitely play.

Very cool idea :thumbup:

People should be able to build their city, manage resources etc. all on their own, and the mod/other people will stop them if they do something wrong.

Ideally, though the 'reasonable' problem tends to erupt...

Ideally, as well, resource management is super simplifed, since no one wants to play excel warriors. =P

Nukarania responds by unveiling it's secret nanotech cold fusion rail gun IN SPACE

Example of the 'reasonable' problem. To one person a nanotech cold fusion rail gun is next week, to someone else it is never, ever, gonna happen.

But yeah, going back to the original roleplaying hegemony, rather than the 'ask the mod' games, could be interesting.

Well since research would be based on puzzles, there isn't any set duration. It would probaly just be a set "difficulty" for a few common researches that most people would want to research.

Well since research would be based on puzzles, there isn't any set duration. It would probaly just be a set "difficulty" for a few common researches that most people would want to research.

Puzzle based research is an instant NO.

Leaves to much room open for exploitation.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

Not to mention that Retech only wants puzzle based research because he is the best at puzzles...

I honestly think that focus should be shifted to something other than research. Tactical warfare, for instance. Thus far, hegemony has basically just been arrows on maps with a sort of "Do this, then this, then kind mosey on over here and take this" notation.

All strategy, no tactics, basically.

2Xeo5.png

Not to mention that Retech only wants puzzle based research because he is the best at puzzles...

Clearly, but that's what was stated in the idea, which I wholeheartedly approve of. :)

It is a silly idea. If it is used I don't see many people playing, they don't want a hegemony to be thought based, I mean the only thing we ever think about is how we're going to win.

To structure it like an argument, I'm going to say this

No to puzzles, reasons:

Exploitable - Google and such (even mod made puzzles are exploitable)

Boring - They get boring real quick.

Unfair advantages - As stated before, and easily I can pull up an example here. Retech will horde the math related puzzles, as he did in Space.

Doesn't really match up to the gamestyle - I mean, in hegemony you're the leader, not the researcher. I can only see the reasons why they were used in Space, because you were the actual person researching

Will deter other players - Linked with boring and unfair, basically I can't imagine a lot of players playing if other players can simply dominate with puzzles.

Now I'd like to see the counter arguments...

It's a REALLY big shaft.

Archi is very skilled at making puzzles that can't be found with a search engine. Despite using my research aids (search engine + friend that knows how to do science and can teach me how to do something + scrabble dictionary), I am still not figuring out most of the puzzles.

Just because I approve an idea doesn't mean that it would be good. I am sure that everyone would prefer a Hegemony that is to their strength/preference. That is the reason that I like puzzles (fun + my forte) and Ross prefers tactics (fun + maybe his forte).

Or we could just play with the general idea of the original Hegemony (running a nation) and work on that.