Why are whips crashing?

runevirage

They're not longer destroyed when people lose them in PvP, which was the only thing keeping their price up. Then, to rub salt in the wound, abbys also drop d bones now, which boosts the supply of whips as more people hunt abbys for the ashes.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

They're not longer destroyed when people lose them in PvP, which was the only thing keeping their price up. Then, to rub salt in the wound, abbys also drop d bones now, which boosts the supply of whips as more people hunt abbys for the ashes.

Pretty much this.

[hide]

99 Strength 99 Fletching 99 Range 99 Hitpoints 99 Attack

99 Dungeoneering <3 99 Magic 99 Smithing 99 Herblore

99 Theving

Slayer Drops: 14 whips, 22 D boots, 27 Granite Mauls, 42 Effigies, 5 Dark Bows.

What would be cool is if Drakan and his minions kill all the sig heroes in the quest except Raptor who is wrecking. You and him team up and cave in some vampyre heads. He becomes a total bro in future quests and in a GM quest he receives a fatal injury and his last dying words to you are "Brofist, mang"

[/hide]

@^

They started crashing b4 free trade ;-)

We knew about free trade coming back quite a while before it actually did, as well.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

Chaotics.

Wrong answer.

Whips are crashing due to not being drained into PvP anymore. Now that whips aren't lost, but transfered on death, and with the steady supply staying the same, the price crashes due to lower demand.

Demand for whips is the same. Supply has increased. (just nitpicking here :-))

I don't understand why anyone would want to be a nit-picker.

I'm sorry, but isn't the price of everything crashing right now? We've just been launched into a completely different economy and people see chaos and are loosing faith. I'm sure most of the prices will go up, just give it a few months. Meanwhile, all you buyers out there can enjoy freshly low prices on everything.

[Examine Goblin (level: 5)]

This would be worth more cut.

I don't understand why anyone would want to be a nit-picker.

I'm sorry, but isn't the price of everything crashing right now? We've just been launched into a completely different economy and people see chaos and are loosing faith. I'm sure most of the prices will go up, just give it a few months. Meanwhile, all you buyers out there can enjoy freshly low prices on everything.

Prices are going down on a lot of things due to what bedman said. Demand is stable, supply is increasing since items aren't lost on death. They won't return to what they were.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

Prices are going down on a lot of things due to what bedman said. Demand is stable, supply is increasing since items aren't lost on death. They won't return to what they were.

That's a pretty bold statement, we could get a very large influx of new players (especially with the recent updates to trading and the wilderness) all hoping to buy whips; they haven't had enough time to do that yet! Your 'supply' may just be once again outweighed by demand.

My point is that it isn't the whips that are losing value, it's everything. I can't explain why this is, since not everything has a larger supply and some things with a much larger supply are doing better than others. Really, considering the huge effect the changes have made, we can't predict anything right now other than the RS economy is going to act very differently from now on.

[Examine Goblin (level: 5)]

This would be worth more cut.

That's a pretty bold statement, we could get a very large influx of new players (especially with the recent updates to trading and the wilderness) all hoping to buy whips; they haven't had enough time to do that yet! Your 'supply' may just be once again outweighed by demand.

My point is that it isn't the whips that are losing value, it's everything. I can't explain why this is, since not everything has a larger supply and some things with a much larger supply are doing better than others. Really, considering the huge effect the changes have made, we can't predict anything right now other than the RS economy is going to act very differently from now on.

You can't make an argument on "what if's". And "we" cannot predict the economy, but those of us who were here to see the changes from old wildy to no wildy have a pretty good idea of what it's going to be again. The prices went up because if you died with a whip, it was gone forever. Now it just changes hands, so there will be plenty in supply with all the abby demon hunters.

There's also tons of 85 slayers nowadays. If demand for whips increases, there are more than enough qualified players to step in and start supplying more whips, and they'll be willing to sell them cheaper because of the 100% infernal ash drops padding the gp/hour. Whips are not going to recover.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

What can be done to prevent whips dropping below 1m?

Get the names and addresses of all 85+ slayers and kill about 80% of them.

Oh I thought you meant what could a player do. Yeah, Jagex could easily raise them over 1m again by going "trololol whip is now 1/5000 drop rate"

Trolololo whips are now discontinued. Enjoy the demon's new chaotic rapier drop!

Chaotic whip. Same rarity as d chain from dusties.

/troll

But seriously, wilde causes whips to not get removed from when when people die pk'ing, which essentially increases the supply. There's no new demand for the whip. Also, what's wrong with the price of the whip going down? And what good would raising the drop rate do? Ok, whip hunters can make more money from whip, if they get a drop; but how much more money they make per whip will be directly proportional to how few whip drops they get.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.