Range, Magic, Defence in Dungeoneering

Dr_Vermin

I am an avid dungeoneerer (113 at time of writing) and a reasonably good keyer (compared to the average in 3bo).

I'm aiming for 120 dg, and also want to try and get a certain skill set: 95 in attack, strength, defence, mage and range. Unfortunately, I've reached 95 attack and strength already. So the question is, what should I use for dungeoneering? I currently have a surgebox and doomcore staff bound (I got the drop last floor, but its stats are appalling). My ring is completely maxed out.

Stats:

95 attack

94 strength (30k from 95)

90 defence

91 range

90 magic

1) Pure magic [blazer/Blaster]

Shadowsilk hood, Spiritbloom robetop, Doomcore/Empowered earth/empowered catalytic staff, Surgebox

Doomcore has 25% magic damage bonus and -10 magic attack. Max hit with air surge: 275. Max hit with earth surge: 325.

Empowered catalytic has 20% magic damage bonus and +15 magic attack. Max hit with air surge: 264. Max hit with earth surge: 312.

Empowered earth has 10% magic damage bonus and +13 magic attack. Max hit with earth surge: 286.

This does decent damage against demons, undead and warriors, but the lack of accuracy is a problem against everything else. However, against high level undead and demons, magic can almost keep up with or beat the dps from melee weapons, due to the very high accuracy. Blaster ring on quickswitch would also help to avoid damage.

2) Defence and magic [Tank/Blazer]

Shadowsilk hood, Promethium platebody, Prom 2h/Prom baxe/Prom longsword, Surgebox

Not using the berserker ring would drop my melee dps by quite a bit. The longsword or baxe would lower that even further, but can be used with the tank ring to lower damage taken by 15%. If I went with this option, I would be sure to tank as often as possible.

3) Range and mage [Desperado/Blazer]

Shadowsilk hood, Gravecreeper shortbow, Tyrannoleather body, Promethium arrows (p++)

This option would require me to make surges every floor. Nearly everything in dungeons are weak to either range or mage (the only exception I can think of are rangers). I don't think this is the best choice.

Edit: One more thing to note: I don't care too much about my own defence. I only want to be as useful as possinle to the rest of my team.

There is no such thing as an inefficient goal. Only inefficient means.

Get your stats outside of Daemonheim or you'll be a burden to your team. There is no (good) way to train defence in dungeoneering, for example.

Bind a promethium 2h, hood and plate until you get a blood necklace or hexhunter bow. Break the doomcore.

If you say you want to be as useful as possible, train to 99 attack and defence and bind primal.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Deffinitly break the staff, for me since I key a lot, I use the tank ring along side beserker when I am in a DPS role. other then that I cant see myself binding anything other then surgebox + melee weapon + plate, until i get a hex.

I'm not sure how possible it'll even be to get that skillset while getting 120 dungeoneering. You definitely never want to non-key again, and just avoid combat as much as possible while you're keying. Have the team start the boss before the floor is done as much as possible, never participate in a GD, etc. You'll almost certainly end up meleeing to 95 defense and then switching to range/mage hybrid, eventually having to cut out the magic and pure range. And you won't even be able to get a hex, because that's 98 ranged -.-

You're in for a long, annoying road of people leaving your team when they see your binds, and with good reason. You're going to be incredibly ineffective.

Also, watch out for those strength doors. They give a fair amount of exp, you could easily accidentally open enough for 96 on your way to 120.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

I'm not sure how possible it'll even be to get that skillset while getting 120 dungeoneering. You definitely never want to non-key again, and just avoid combat as much as possible while you're keying. Have the team start the boss before the floor is done as much as possible, never participate in a GD, etc. You'll almost certainly end up meleeing to 95 defense and then switching to range/mage hybrid, eventually having to cut out the magic and pure range. And you won't even be able to get a hex, because that's 98 ranged -.-

You're in for a long, annoying road of people leaving your team when they see your binds, and with good reason. You're going to be incredibly ineffective.

Also, watch out for those strength doors. They give a fair amount of exp, you could easily accidentally open enough for 96 on your way to 120.

I should easily be able to get 120 dg by the time I get 95 def if I key, even if I fight as much as possible. And the strength doors wont even get me close to 96 str. Even if I went for 200m. The dps from pure mage really shouldn't be underestimated - with a mage top, it equals or beats melee against any undead over 150cb.

I think I'll go for the melee option though, and become a pro epic legendary keyer. I might go improve my keying skills a bit in w117 dungeoneering hell (good training, as you have to key with no food and remember every single key door).

Im afraid I have nothing to offer in the way of advice, being only 98 dg myself, as I do not feel I have the experience to tell others what they should be doing.

However, a little birdy told me that t10 Blitzer is better than t10 Blazer (but only as of t10). If your ring is maxed, it might be worth checking this to make a slight improvement to your offensive output.

In my opinion, do not consider ranging without a Hex, and as has been mentioned you cannot use one. So that's really a no-go.

Promo Rapier + Empowered Catalytic with tank and blitzer rings perhaps?

Im afraid I have nothing to offer in the way of advice, being only 98 dg myself, as I do not feel I have the experience to tell others what they should be doing.

However, a little birdy told me that t10 Blitzer is better than t10 Blazer (but only as of t10). If your ring is maxed, it might be worth checking this to make a slight improvement to your offensive output.

In my opinion, do not consider ranging without a Hex, and as has been mentioned you cannot use one. So that's really a no-go.

Thnaks for the advice.

Blitzer and blazer are very close in terms of dps - the difference is something like 0.6 damage per second, due to rounding. But blazer conserves runes, so blazer is better if you're a pure mage. Blitzer is arguably better that isn't an issue.

Thnaks for the advice.

Blitzer and blazer are very close in terms of dps - the difference is something like 0.6 damage per second, due to rounding. But blazer conserves runes, so blazer is better if you're a pure mage. Blitzer is arguably better that isn't an issue.

You shouldn't be a pure mage in dungeoneering, you are a burden to your team if you are a pure anything but melee.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Thnaks for the advice.

You shouldn't be a pure mage in dungeoneering, you are a burden to your team if you are a pure anything but melee.

But, since he would have to not use berserker/tactitian, he'd be a burden then as well. It's just a matter of how to be the least cumbersome. Being a keyer obviously goes a long way to that as well, since keyers don't fight nearly as much as everyone else.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

@ OP: I hope you can conclude that you should just get 99 attack, strength, defence and ranged through slayer :P.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I'm using a shadow silk hood, promethium 2h, celestial catalytic staff and a celestial surgebox right now with tier 9 Berserker and tier 9 Blitzer. It works awesome. If I were you, I would destroy that staff, bind a promethium platebody and imbune an empowered fire staff every floor. I wouldn't bother using Blaster. Use Berserker when meleeing and Blazer/Blitzer when maging.

Fire surge with a celestial catalytic staff with tier 10 Blitzer does around 18% more damage than a meleer with a primal 2h, 99 Strength and tier 10 Berserker. This isn't counting in Turmoil though.

Prom 2 hand / primal baxe since csb, hood, platebody, csb.

Craft a fire staff at the begining, use mage ring + gatherers and key.

I key on berserker but a lot of people like to key on gatherers, so you can just attack in defensive style or mage. And lots of the time you can't qs at gds anyway. (That's why I key on zerker most of the time).

siggya.png

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going with keying with longsword and surgebox. I might use magic on high level undead if it turns out to be more effective. Having over 50m dg exp, I'm fairly confident that my dps and overall usefulness will not suffer too greatly.

@Quyneax: Getting 99 in all combat skills through slayer, and then getting 120 dg, is by far the most efficient way if I wished to become maxed in combat skills. My goal is different (and completely arbitrary): 120 dg with 95 in att str def mage range. I've always worked towards arbitrary skill sets; they aren't too uncommon (usually because people want an untrimmed cape or low cb lvl). Still, thank you for the advice.

...Why longsword? I didn't see a single person suggest that, and it's pretty widely considered to be a crappy weapon. If you want stab, I'd use either a primal spear (I'm pretty sure that has a defensive stab option), or a primal rapier.

...Why longsword? I didn't see a single person suggest that, and it's pretty widely considered to be a crappy weapon. If you want stab, I'd use either a primal spear (I'm pretty sure that has a defensive stab option), or a primal rapier.

I'm pretty sure spears only have 3 options, all controlled.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going with keying with longsword and surgebox. I might use magic on high level undead if it turns out to be more effective. Having over 50m dg exp, I'm fairly confident that my dps and overall usefulness will not suffer too greatly.

@Quyneax: Getting 99 in all combat skills through slayer, and then getting 120 dg, is by far the most efficient way if I wished to become maxed in combat skills. My goal is different (and completely arbitrary): 120 dg with 95 in att str def mage range. I've always worked towards arbitrary skill sets; they aren't too uncommon (usually because people want an untrimmed cape or low cb lvl). Still, thank you for the advice.

I don't see how having 50m dungeoneering exp affects your dps and overall usefulness. Bind a hood, prom/primal 2h, a platebody/celestial staff, and a surgebox.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I'm pretty sure spears only have 3 options, all controlled.

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Primal_spear

Nah bro.

OH but he can't use primal equipment anyway, it's promethium. In that case, basically the only options here are spear and 2h. It's not worth the melee DPS loss to switch to a 1h weapon, they all REALLY suck compared to the spear and 2h. I was sitting here thinking it was prom 2h vs primal something.

The spear might be a good choice, because it allows you to cover stab, which is rare, and mage, which is less common. 2h has better raw dps, of course, but you'd be limited to slash only, and you'd be worse at it than everyone else.

The longsword is just... so bad.