SOLVED - OS-controlling Virus

kwimbob

EDIT - SOLVED: Check out the last post, but I could remove the virus when I had the infected hard drive hooked up as a second hard drive within my nice computer, and booted from the nice computer's hard drive to use its antivirus to scan the dormant, infected drive (while the virus couldn't interfere, since I wasn't booting from the infected hard drive).

So this is the downstairs Home Computer that my little sister and brother and parents all use. My sister and mom asked me (the only computer literate member in this household) if they could go to this "free old Nintendo games" too-good-to-be-true website. I said no. (I intended to get her ROMs later of whatever games she wanted if she was serious about playing the games of old for which the outdated consoles have broken, I still play 8-bit Zelda and Mega Man and Battle Toads and all that on my laptop nowadays, hahah).

I come back the next day, turns out they went there as well as any other number of sites I would never condone. They got viruses again. Only this time it seems to be one single big boss virus that I can't beat. I'ma need some help from ya'll once again. So here's the rundown of what I walked into this morning:

There's an "XP Home Security - Unregistered Version" that has installed itself (telling me I don't have a firewall, I don't have anti-virus, and doing a REALLY quick virus scan, with horrible and scary results, on the spot, which has to be a lie), but other than that, no process can be started.

I can't do anything. The only program executables that seem to even do anything beyond NOTHING (other than giving the processor a half second of work) are MY antivirus programs, but all that they do are open this same bogus "Unregistered Version" that LOOKS like a legit Microsoft virus program, but it does nothing.

All that I'm allowed to do is to be taken to a fake Microsoft website (in a weird trunctated Internet Explorer browser where all of the URL bar and any other top parts have been removed for me so I can't suspect it's a fake website), where I can pay money to "register" this "Anti-virus program".

My first clue, before I even examined anything, was that this fake security program's quicktask icon on my task bar can't be right clicked. What kind of program (other than a bad virus) is written so badly that there are no options down on the icon (even though they included an icon /facepalm).

So I came here just to see if any of ya'll have dealt with one of these beasts before. Apparently it's a well known virus amongst the internet gurus -- it popped up in a google search. So I'll go see if I can find tech support on google for this, but I figured I post here because I respect ya'lls opinions and suggestions as being the best and quickest methods. Also I'ma go right now and boot it in safe mode and see what I can do.

KwimSigFinal-1.png?t=1304744327

Combat 116+; Total 1900+; All Hard Tasks; (Nearly) All quest points; (Nearly) All skills 60+; An aquatic moose ninja.

Currently: Using 63 hunter to get some of those "Chins", then I'm going to range stuff down. Interruptions of agility when I feel like it, as well.

And lucky enough to get 4 Dragon and 6 Barrow Drops.

[hide]Kwimbob now looks exactly like me in real life except for hair color. Yes, this means I look exactly like the protagonist of that certain anime that my second character, Faye_V is also named after. Yes, I bought a jacket that also looks like his. No in real life I don't have a slain bear to sling over my shoulders. Yes, I'm that skinny even if I no-life it for years in basements. No, I can't shoot a gun. Yes, I can win any other strategic video game you have never played - because I probably have, ahahaha. And yes, I also have brown eyes, yet one of my eyes looks different from the other. And yes, I'm completely oblivious to the [real] world around me as I constantly engineer new solutions to daily problems in my head. When I get hungry, all that isn't food can wait. When I'm sleepy - nothing is of any priority in front of sleep. But at any other time, I never slow down. Never give up. Never Surrender. Makes for a good life.

[hide]YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT.

- See You, Space Cowboy.[/hide][/hide]

If you can't fix it easy, j8ust reinstall windows.

Backup what is only critical. Though you should do that regurally.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I know you will probably have done this but here is just a few things I would personally do right off the bat for a quick fix:

- Go into the task manager to see if the fake antivirus's program can be closed

- Downloading a new antivirus such as MSE to see if it works

- trying to find as much of the program as possible manually to see if it can be removed

Other than that, I can only suggest what was said above.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Use your other computer to download and put on a usb key an antivirus like Avira and an antimalware like Malwarebytes. Then go to the infected computer on safe mode and install those, and if you have a safe mode with networking you can update them.

What safe mode does is that it only uses the usefull programs to Windows. which means the virus shouldn't be active.

UPDATES:

I found the process itself it's supposedly usually about 3 random letters (mine is ogm[Caution: Executable File]).

I can close the process, and this program will successfully and fully die.

However, once closed, it is still the case that clicking ANY executable will not launch what it should, but relaunch this program and the process all over again.

I couldn't find the files within my computer manually yet, but I'll come back to that later.

I do have antivirus on there already, the virus just successfully keeps me from opening them at all.

Like I was saying and like ya'll said, I'm going to go try safe mode real quick, and see if I can be free enough to open antivirus programs from there.

Their backups are totally outdated, so I don't want to reinstall yet. I'm 99% sure I can best this virus anyways.

Also - my solution, since I know what the process is named, was to just stop it at start-up by removing it from startup programs in systemconfig. But what does run systemconfig do? Pop up the Virus. Well played, hackers. Well played.

The only thing that I think I can access is My Computer and all the files. There is the option to debilitate the virus by gutting some malicous looking files near what I deem to be it's [Caution: Executable File] bymanually deleting them individually - then cleaning up all of the virus corpse with actual accessible anti-virus. But that sure sounds like a bloody mess, so I'll skip on that option until I'm more desperate.

It may have won the first battle, but it certainly will not win the war!

Combat 116+; Total 1900+; All Hard Tasks; (Nearly) All quest points; (Nearly) All skills 60+; An aquatic moose ninja.

Currently: Using 63 hunter to get some of those "Chins", then I'm going to range stuff down. Interruptions of agility when I feel like it, as well.

[hide]Kwimbob now looks exactly like me in real life except for hair color. Yes, this means I look exactly like the protagonist of that certain anime that my second character, Faye_V is also named after. Yes, I bought a jacket that also looks like his. No in real life I don't have a slain bear to sling over my shoulders. Yes, I'm that skinny even if I no-life it for years in basements. No, I can't shoot a gun. Yes, I can win any other strategic video game you have never played - because I probably have, ahahaha. And yes, I also have brown eyes, yet one of my eyes looks different from the other. And yes, I'm completely oblivious to the [real] world around me as I constantly engineer new solutions to daily problems in my head. When I get hungry, all that isn't food can wait. When I'm sleepy - nothing is of any priority in front of sleep. But at any other time, I never slow down. Never give up. Never Surrender. Makes for a good life.

Just tried Safe Mode, my last personal idea. The program followed me there, too.

I still can't open any processes or get around it.

Now it's time for serious business I suppose.

I do have a flash drive and this computer (my nice, non-community computer upstairs, hahah) to work with, but I don't see how that would work because IF I install more antivirus programs via that, they still are going to be intercepted if I were to try to run the programs. For some reason though, all my google hits in some part suggested doing something like that. The computer all ready has updated versions of both Avira and MalwareBytes, but like I've said, I can't use them.

But would ya'll say that it's worth a shot? Seeing if programs installed post-virus will run? Or will they just still not execute, just like everything else?

It's worth a try. It could be that the virus went through your current virus protection when it was installed and covers them, but as it isn't installing constantly isn't looking for new antivirus software.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

http://filext.com/faq/broken_exe_association.php (there is a link to a registry file on this page, or you can do it manually with regedit)

That should fix the executable files not opening up correctly, but it will just become screwed up again the next time the program runs.

I've found that removing viruses is a lot easier with rescue disc's, then you don't even have to start Windows at all.

Download one of these (or both) erscue disc's on another computer and burn them, then boot from them on the computer with the virus:

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208282173

http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-antivir-rescue-system

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Use a live CD to back up, then reinstall. Even if you do clean up a significant portion of the mess without destroying what functionality Windows still has, you can't very well guarantee that you've removed all the malicious code from the compromised system. There is no "beating" it; your system has died, and it's time to respawn. As a bonus, you'll have taken care of whatever cruft may have accumulated since the last installation.

If it was my computer I would just reinstall windows. That can take a while though, and if it is for someone else then they usually complain about losing stuff (regardless of if you backed it up or not).

That's why I love the rescue disks so much, there is no way for the virus to run since windows doesn't start, so you can generally get rid of the virus pretty easily.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I'd go with Nyosuht's advice if I were you. It's their fault for not listening to you anyways. Losing stuff is just the lesson that hits them harder that they shouldn't go to dodgy websites.

Thanks for all the advice.

Currently (after a day of talking to 20 techy friends) I took a mile walk or so in the night, and I just remembered that this has attachments for a second hard drive.

Attach Hard Drive to here > Remove virus with nice compy > Attach Hard Drive to OldBadTowerCommunityFamilyComp without viruses > ... > Profit!

I'm going to be offline for a bit again doing some reboots, talk to ya'll later about it.

My real plans on the long term are to rescue that hard drive, move everything to a nicer hard drive, get a new mother board / tower, probably a processor, and then some cheap DDR3 RAM (this old beast of a motherboard only takes DDR1 dinasour, expensive RAM), and also have graphics cards that are more modern and good to go with the new board. I'd have CD drives and a new OS, and the monitor is actually really nice -- so we should have 2 good set ups in this house without viruses (4 if you count Dad's work laptop and my personal lappy I got 7 on). We'll see how the war goes - how deeply imbedded this respectable foe is.

And now I have:

Copied the hard drive to my own hard drive.

Scanned it with 3 antivirus programs from my own hard drive's Windows 7, to get the virus while that Hard Drive's OS is actually dormant.

I'm now finishing up that and about to reboot. Once again, talk to ya'll with results.

Need more engineer coffee.

And now I have:

Copied the hard drive to my own hard drive.

Scanned it with 3 antivirus programs from my own hard drive's Windows 7, to get the virus while that Hard Drive's OS is actually dormant.

I'm now finishing up that and about to reboot. Once again, talk to ya'll with results.

Need more engineer coffee.

Still awake, driving to the hardware store (beats Newegg prices this weekend and I get my stuff today).

I for sure have a backup of EVERYTHING, which, imho, is better than a windows back-up because I can manually, tonight, with this computer, reformat it completely.

Thanks one last big time

For all of your help today,

But this man must sleep.

>> Nap. I don't even know anymore.

Who can sleep with a friend dying of malpractice programs rotting its software and hardware?

It's old. I'm buying a new motherboard because this board has a corrupt RAM DDR1 socket, and better DDR1 is very expensive, rare-dinosaur-bone price, and new DDR3 RAM is better and -- get this -- cheaper with a new MB and even processor; a cheap tower to fit said mb is extra.

Aight.

G'night ya'll.

There are now 3 hard drives on this hard 2tb sata drive, haha.

The edit button is your friend, it hates to be neglected :wink:

^

Anyhow, would you mind posting a list of what you did for future reference?

Also, I think you're talking about building a new computer, we here like to help with that sort of thing.

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Sig by me, in MS paint, but I'm still working on it.

Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

The edit button is your friend, it hates to be neglected :wink:

^

Anyhow, would you mind posting a list of what you did for future reference?

Also, I think you're talking about building a new computer, we here like to help with that sort of thing.

Aye, I used to ALWAYS edit.

But all these were from other media devices, like iPhones, in part.

Whole process has been: Hook up hard drive to a new computer. Virus scan it from the good boot. Return hard drive with a system restore of the old files. System restore.

Still a work in process.

Hmm... my concern with that would be that if it's a particularly sophisticated virus, it could infect your own computer without you really knowing (seeing as AV doesn't pick it up).

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Hmm... my concern with that would be that if it's a particularly sophisticated virus, it could infect your own computer without you really knowing (seeing as AV doesn't pick it up).

My own computer is too pro.

I would call myself a wise internet user. My family - not so much.

Mine is secure enough to have even all of them use it, without it dying. This thing had a dying motherboard and less than 1gb ram, and a 6 year old processor/tower/etc.

UPDATE:

I am reformatting the middle quality hard drive right now. Bought all the parts to rebuild this one for the next 10 years. Really cool acryllic, see-through case.

I went the uncautious route and just fried the virus. Completely removed it - completely removed the OS from the files of that hard drive and then saved it onto this hard drive.

This new computer will be a new computer. No zombie virus. But all the files will be identical as soon as I can reinstall all the programs.

I'm excited about all my AMD motherboard / CPU / chips! My Dad works AMD, it's gonna be a beautiful compy!

I wish I had seen this thread earlier... It's probably unnecessary for you to format/reinstall OS/etc.

Almost all those viruses that stop processes from running will allow the process called "iexplore[Caution: Executable File]" to run. So all you need to do is download malwarebytes on a different computer, rename it to iexplore[Caution: Executable File], copy it to the infected computer somehow (not with a USB drive you would use for anything else) and run that. I'm using a school laptop that didn't have any antivirus and I had to go through that 3 times before I decided to screw it and install avast.

notthemightiesttreeuj3.png

+-------------------------+

| . . . . Pure F2P . . . .|

| sig8.png |

| 73 74 73 75 70 86 65 80 |

| sig9.png |

| 85 80 80 80 80 80 80 65 |

| Combat: 092 Total: 1235 |

PROBLEM SOLVED! My idea actually worked here.

I connected the bad hard drive in my good PC as the second HD, booted up from the good computer's hard drive, and did my virus scans on the bad hard drive while it was just a dormant D: drive.

That way the virus COULD NOT be active, because I'm not booting from the infected HD at all (and I was confident it couldn't just hop ship onto my good compy's hard drive and infect IT, because it definitely has sufficient virus protection and all).

Lesson learned was that no matter how powerful an OS virus is ingrained into one hard drive (say like following you even in safe-mode and being able to stop you from opening ANY process), you can solve the problem by simply not booting from that HD's OS - and cleansing the infected hard drive while it is dormant (assuming you can get access to a second, secure computer with hookups to fit a second hard drive).

I'm just lucky that once it was removed (by Avira / Malwarebytes both), my OS was still perfectly intact.

I wish I had seen this thread earlier... It's probably unnecessary for you to format/reinstall OS/etc.

Almost all those viruses that stop processes from running will allow the process called "iexplore[Caution: Executable File]" to run. So all you need to do is download malwarebytes on a different computer, rename it to iexplore[Caution: Executable File], copy it to the infected computer somehow (not with a USB drive you would use for anything else) and run that. I'm using a school laptop that didn't have any antivirus and I had to go through that 3 times before I decided to screw it and install avast.

I was considering that, but I'm not sure that this particular virus wouldn't just stop the new process anyways - it kept me from using ANY processes, including the legit iexplorer. The only thing I could open was Windows Explorer to see my files.