Medical pot distribution ruled unconstitutional in Canada

Omar

Yes, less people would be meaninglessly arrested, and jails would be less crowded.

Right there is where I'm sold. Jail should be reserved to people who are an actual threat to the public, whether it be for violence, sexual assault, theft, etc. I don't see how sitting in your own home, minding your own business smoking some pot deserves to get you in the big house for a few months/years with people who actually are a threat. It wastes tons of resources and most of these people are completely harmless.

Another pro is that legalization would eradicate the underground thug market of marijuana trafficking that thrives off of these types of laws. Also, I noticed you're arguing that it would inevitably become a house-hold drug. Lol, isn't it already? I remember hearing somewhere that legalization really doesn't have much of an effect on the amount of usage. It makes sense too. There are far more people smoking now than when it was legal. Also, drug lords know how to make sure their customers' demands are supplied.

And about the detrimental effects on one's motor skills after prolonged use... uhhh... then how am I the best Halo player in the world? Answer me that bro.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, less people would be meaninglessly arrested, and jails would be less crowded.

Right there is where I'm sold. Jail should be reserved to people who are an actual threat to the public, whether it be for violence, sexual assault, theft, etc. I don't see how sitting in your own home, minding your own business smoking some pot deserves to get you in the big house for a few months/years with people who actually are a threat. It wastes tons of resources and most of these people are completely harmless.

Another pro is that legalization would eradicate the underground thug market of marijuana trafficking that thrives off of these types of laws. Also, I noticed you're arguing that it would inevitably become a house-hold drug. Lol, isn't it already? I remember hearing somewhere that legalization really doesn't have much of an effect on the amount of usage. It makes sense too. There are far more people smoking now than when it was legal. Also, drug lords know how to make sure their customers' demands are supplied.

And about the detrimental effects on one's motor skills after prolonged use... uhhh... then how am I the best Halo player in the world?

I think most people forget that jail is supposed to be for the ones who are a danger to society, not just anyone who breaks a criminal law. And tied in with this, getting arrest, charged, sent to prison/probation/whatever is going to mean they now have a criminal record. Is it really justified to give people a criminal record that will make it even harder to get a job for smoking a plant? Victimless crime.

Although I'm not sure how much of a threat weed dealers are. I know that the gangs in my city try not to deal weed because customers will rat them out more willingly since there are so many dealers. They prefer the harder to get stuff like heroin

I agree that parents have a responsibility to monitor their kids, but society has a responsibility to foster an environment where parents can monitor their kids. If marijuana were to be legalized, it would have to have the same restrictions as alcohol and tobacco...

I agree with that, except in the case of medical pot. In that case, I feel everyone should have access to the drug, unless its negative effects are worse than alternatives (no pot for a kid who could just take Advil).

@Rpg: Your point about making a mistake like heroin is valid in a sense, but I could say that for any drug or new treatment.You can never be sure about anything, so the best you can do is conduct rigorous research. Unless you want medical progress to come to a standstill, that's a chance you have to take. And when it comes to pot, it's likely pretty slim.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Yup, me too. Though I still don't approve of the habitual use of it like I know many people on these forums claim to do, it simply boils down to 'Is this harming me or not?'. If not, legalise it. To medical knowledge, the costs of even the worst case reasonable scenario won't cover the costs of keeping up this ridiculous game of legality. Harder drugs like heroin don't pass this test, because legalising it would increase the workload on healthcare, which in turn affects everyone seeking to use it (longer waiting times etc.). The impact would be even worse for the country if you've got a Universal Healthcare like the UK or Canada, because everyone would take the financial hit even if they never touched a drug in their life. Therefore legalising heroin would harm me, but legalising marijuana wouldn't. In fact, it would probably help me. I'm satisfied with that distinction.

That said, I think anyone who buys the medicinal marijuana argument is a delusional idiot who's looking for excuses to make it easier to get their next high. I have no time for those people.

Oh, and if you've known me a few years on this forum, yes, I have changed my mind on this issue. I still have never tried Marijuana. I may or may not try it in the future, but I won't let that change my opinion.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Lol@ The guy who compares pot to heroin.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

That said, I think anyone who buys the medicinal marijuana argument is a delusional idiot who's looking for excuses to make it easier to get their next high. I have no time for those people.

How can you deny that marijuana has medical uses? I mean hell, there are synthetic forms of it that are sold by pharmaceutical companies. Kind of low of you to think that people who suffer pain are using it as an excuse to get weed and don't try to get legal pain killers cause they need their weed. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of people using weed for medicinal purposes never tried it before they needed it

How can you deny that marijuana has medical uses? I mean hell, there are synthetic forms of it that are sold by pharmaceutical companies. Kind of low of you to think that people who suffer pain are using it as an excuse to get weed and don't try to get legal pain killers cause they need their weed. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of people using weed for medicinal purposes never tried it before they needed it

I agree with that (except maybe with your last sentence), but I have a feeling we might have misinterpreted what he said. Doesn't sound like him.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

I think there are many people who self-diagnose medical marijuana because they like the idea of being able to do it legally. It's not everyone, but I think it is some.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I think there are many people who self-diagnose medical marijuana because they like the idea of being able to do it legally. It's not everyone, but I think it is some.

I completely agree.

I agree with that (except maybe with your last sentence), but I have a feeling we might have misinterpreted what he said. Doesn't sound like him.

I'd be positive that the last line is bs. And besides pain killing what medical uses does it have?

And besides pain killing what medical uses does it have?

Pain killing is kind of a big deal. It's got use as an anti-nausea med for people getting chemo, nausea and appetite loss in AIDs patients, reducing intra-ocular pressure (glaucoma), anxiety reduction are some. The Institute of Medicine did a pretty good study/report:

http://search.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309071550

However, they're conclusion is pretty much dead on unfortunately, and why I am not confident that we'll see it legalized any time soon

Cannabinoid-based drugs will only become available if public investment in cannabinoid drug research is sustained and if there is enough incentive for private enterprise to develop and market such drugs.

Marijuana wouldn't be useful as a main drug to treat the disease, it would be used to suppress symptoms of the disease/condition.

Ah, my fault. I should have clarified what the medicinal marijuana argument i was referring to was. It's the idea that it's okay to use it as some kind of self-prescription to treat pain (usually also self-diagnosed), as opposed to going to the doctor. I've seen people do this, and I don't like that.

I have no problem with the use of it or its derivatives for the purpose of treating pain (or any treatment for anything for that matter) so long as it has gone through the proper scientific processes and prescribed by a qualified doctor appropriately.

I just want people to be honest with themselves here. If you're using it recreationally, be truthful about it if you want to talk about it. If you're using it to treat a medical condition, you should have been diagnosed by a qualified doctor and had it prescribed to you, and there must not be a better method available to treat your condition. Mixing the two, lying about medical conditions to get free/cheap/legal marijuana, is the real crime here.

I get far too serious in these threads. Screw it:

pinkie_pie_party_cat_by_enshou-d390b4m.jpg

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Ah, my fault. I should have clarified what the medicinal marijuana argument i was referring to was. It's the idea that it's okay to use it as some kind of self-prescription to treat pain (usually also self-diagnosed), as opposed to going to the doctor. I've seen people do this, and I don't like that.

I have no problem with the use of it or its derivatives for the purpose of treating pain (or any treatment for anything for that matter) so long as it has gone through the proper scientific processes and prescribed by a qualified doctor appropriately.

I just want people to be honest with themselves here. If you're using it recreationally, be truthful about it if you want to talk about it. If you're using it to treat a medical condition, you should have been diagnosed by a qualified doctor and had it prescribed to you, and there must not be a better method available to treat your condition. Mixing the two, lying about medical conditions to get free/cheap/legal marijuana, is the real crime here.

I can agree with that

Pain killing is kind of a big deal. It's got use as an anti-nausea med for people getting chemo, nausea and appetite loss in AIDs patients, reducing intra-ocular pressure (glaucoma), anxiety reduction are some. The Institute of Medicine did a pretty good study/report:

However, they're conclusion is pretty much dead on unfortunately, and why I am not confident that we'll see it legalized any time soon

Cannabinoid-based drugs will only become available if public investment in cannabinoid drug research is sustained and if there is enough incentive for private enterprise to develop and market such drugs.

Marijuana wouldn't be useful as a main drug to treat the disease, it would be used to suppress symptoms of the disease/condition.

Ha how could I forget about the munchies. Actually I do believe taht would be a legitment use of medical marijuana. I don't think there are any other drugs out there that enduce hunger.

Ha how could I forget about the munchies. Actually I do believe taht would be a legitment use of medical marijuana. I don't think there are any other drugs out there that enduce hunger.

A friend of mine had a medical problem where it hurt to eat. There are other drugs that induce hunger, but he ended up becoming a pothead and the two drugs temporarily paralyzed him. His doctor ended up saying "if you're going to do pot anyway and almost kill yourself, I might as well let you do it legally".

Point being marijuana can be used for hunger, but there currently are other drugs. I still support it being legalized though.

25zhwts.png

[email protected] - EoS Former Leader - Message if you need anything

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/04/21/protesters-toke-and-vote

Latest article I could find, it seems the politicians are more worried about winning the elections first (because it's not like they'll be able to appeal if they don't). The last opinion expressed in the article is the kind that ruins the credibility of the event:

Trisha, 19, was one of three young women sharing a long, clear bong.

“I think it should be legalized,” said Trisha, a Centennial College student who suffers from depression. “(Marijuana) helps

me sleep, (and) it helps me eat better.”

That's self-diagnosis and self-medication. But on the other hand, how can you get a serious diagnosis if doctors won't consider all the available options (whether it's because they're unqualified to do so, or whether they have a personal stance against medical marijuana)?

Haha this part was good

One sign on stage said: Surprise! Were voting. And were going to vote you out.

But if that girl really does have depression and marijuana helps her, then all power to her.

That's two "if"s. I don't blame her though.

But here's the question: Is Marijuana the best way to treat the depression or pain? Is there nothing out there that would be more ideal to help with the problem? Somehow, I find the idea that something that comes from a plant grown in someone's backyard, prepared, and smoked is more effective than anything modern medicine has already come up with unlikely. Not impossible, just unlikely.

Can someone correct me on this?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

But here's the question: Is Marijuana the best way to treat the depression or pain? Is there nothing out there that would be more ideal to help with the problem? Somehow, I find the idea that something that comes from a plant grown in someone's backyard, prepared, and smoked is more effective than anything modern medicine has already come up with unlikely. Not impossible, just unlikely.

Can someone correct me on this?

I question the same thing. In terms of power. No. There are lots of drugs more powerful. However many leave the person unable to function, as in drive cars and such. Don't get me wrong. I don't want people driving marijuana driving cars. However they are more functional Than somebody on prescription pain killers. But honestly I don't see how it is particularly more effective than just high dosages of over the counter pain killers.

It can't really hurt to have another solution added to the gamut.

It can't really hurt to have another solution added to the gamut.

True, but it shouldn't be used as a treatment when a more ideal solution is available. The question should probably be asked case-by-case, but I'm just wondering how many times the answer is really yes. Times have moved on, and natural remedies are being increasingly overtaken by advances in medicine. It's been like that for a long time now.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

If marijuana is a good way to treat depression, then alcohol is a good way to treat depression.

Exactly. While it helps in the short-term, patients should still solve the problems to their lives to cure depression.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg