To Cannon or not to cannon

brad1431

I have always hated people who cannon. To me it is the equivalent to cheating, you are paying something to kill things for you. But I keep hearing people who make absurds amount of money, like $2M an hour, and I cant make anything close to that, and my slayer tasks can take a long time while others breeze through them.

Can someone give me the basics of how to buy and use a cannon, how much it costs, and when and where to use it for slayer, and in general for cash.

I want to make more money as I am leveling construction right now to be able to build my own gilded alter to eventually get 95 prayer. I assume the reason I am not making as much money and as fast is because I have not been cannoning.

And in case anyone wants to add advice, yes I am leveling dging as we speak, also when I have time, I also mine concentrated gold to superheat for mage and smithing exp.

Thanks

thegame1431.png

Well a cannon is worth it if you spend less on the balls than the drops of the additional kills. In general a cannon will use maybe 2k balls in single combat or up to 5-6k in multi (depending on the spot, the hp level of the creatures etc).

In general a cannon is worth it on all dragons profit-wise.

Buy from GE, use it for slayer whenever you can.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Both. Cannon drastically speeds up a slayer task.

Also, making Cballs isn't worth the time, unless you want to do something else while you wait and care about saving the $.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

The cannon costs 700k for the 4 parts bought in a set.

Buy the Cballs yourself, theyre price is pretty low atm so stocking up on them is not a bad idea.

Note : If the cannon happens to decay (after 20mins) you can get it back for free from the dwarf in the west house at the dwarven mine entrance north of fally.

Might save you some cash :P

Nostar.png

Dagannoth Rex Drops : Zerker ring x2 / Dragon hatchet x2 / Warrior ring x3

Dragons are the best probably. Black Demons are good. Frosts too. Anything that drops guaranteed 5k+ per kill will make a good profit.

If you want smith xp, buy steel bars (1/4 the number of cballs you want) and smelt them into cballs. It takes almost 3 minutes an inventory, so it's very, very good for AFK training, comparable to AFKing Ivy.

PM me for fitocracy invite

and where would be a good place to use a cannon to camp for cash? and what slayer tasks would be most beneficial, I assume things with hig def, dragons and strkyworms?

Slayer: Dagannoths, Aberrant Spectres, Mutated Bloodvelds, Black Demons, Black Dragons, Blue Dragons, Wyverns.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

Non slayer I don't do much of since I train all melee and some ranged cb through slayer, but I'd say Black Demons and Black Drags.

azeem1992.png

Non slayer would mainly be dragons, greens, blues, blacks, frosts.

Black demons.

Maybe aberrant spectres.

Can't think of anything else.

Nostar.png

Dagannoth Rex Drops : Zerker ring x2 / Dragon hatchet x2 / Warrior ring x3

Dragons are the best probably. Black Demons are good. Frosts too. Anything that drops guaranteed 5k+ per kill will make a good profit.

If you want smith xp, buy steel bars (1/4 the number of cballs you want) and smelt them into cballs. It takes almost 3 minutes an inventory, so it's very, very good for AFK training, comparable to AFKing Ivy.

Except for afk ivy is actually good exp. If you want afk smithing exp smelt gold ore with gold gauntlets.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

Right well you being pretty much maxed melee and 94 slayer I'm surprised you haven't been cannoning already. In reply to the topic title: Yes, to cannon.

Cannoning makes everything a lot more simple and a lot more quick. As mentioned the cannon is only ~700k and cballs are now at a cost so low that stocking up isn't too bad. In my last slayer level I have made the equvalent money for ~100K + cballs, yet only invest in 20K at a time to stop myself being silly and have invested money in other slayer stuff like runes. 20K cballs only costs ~4M gp, which at 94 slayer you should be getting at least trebel that.

The basics of how to buy and use a cannon =

Go to GE, buy it, exchange the box for the relevant parts of the set, buy 10K cballs and you're already off to a good start. Depending on your slayer task just put the cannon down, load it up and enjoy, even in single combat. As soon as your cannon emmits a strange smokey puff thing, and a red message comes up on your screen detailing that your cannon is almost decayed, just pick it up and wait a kill and set it back down and start it off again. Do note though that it takes 30 Cballs at a time, and it's best to stay by the cannon.

For slayer it just about speeds anything up, and turns some tasks into absolute goldmines of exp - eg daggonoths - I had 171 of them earlier today, finished task in 13 mins. It really is THAT good.

And seeing as you're 94 slayer I'm going to assume you use Kuradal: This is a list of what I personally cannon and dont.

Aberrant Spectres - Cannon

Black Demons - Highly advise you get a yak before you cannon these, yet if money isn't an issue and injecting ~4/5/6K cballs into these then by all means. Then again if you have the patience to tort the ashes do so.

Black Dragons - Cannon

Bloodvelds - Do, Mutated Velds are amazing exp with this.

Dagannoths - DO.

Dark Beasts - Efficiency vs afkness. If you want ~10k exp/h quicker then cannon (look at the question in the metagame discussion board).

Desert Strykewyrms - Do.

Fire giants - Do.

Hellhounds - Do.

Jungle Strykewyrms - Do.

Kalphites - Do.

Living Rock creatures - Definitely DO!

Skeletal wyverns - Do.

Suqahs - Do.

Abyssal Demons - Don't

Blue dragons - Don't.

Dust Devils - Not too sure if you can >.<

Gargoyles - Don't.

Greater Demons - Don't.

Ice Strykewyrms - Don't.

Iron Dragons - Don't.

Mithril Dragons - Don't.

Nechryaels - Don't.

Spiritual Mages - Don't.

Steel Dragons - Don't.

Terror dogs - Don't.

TzHaar - Don't.

Warped Tortoises - Don't.

Waterfiends - Don't.

Cannon really does speed up the tasks mentioned unbelievably, and is also fairly decent range exp. I'm currently 90K from 92 ranged and have cannoned slayer tasks ever since 70 range! It is highly beneficial to do Aberrants, Black Demons, Black Dragons, Daggonoths, Mutated Velds and Wyverns as all but two are practical veritable gold mines of slayer and ranged exp.

I think Nostar nailed it with the Non-Slayer cannon:

Green, Blue, Black, Frost Dragons

Black Demons (but with yak for prime ease of banking ashes)

Aberrant Spectres.

Honestly though for both the smithing exp and prayer exp let me tell you this:

Smithing it will be better if you don't do cannonballs because they are EXTREMELY slow. Depending on what level you want to go for you can try them, but it's perhaps better if you go do some other money maker and then invest in gold and runes until 88 smith then addy plates up to 99 (addy plates are really cheap exp/gp atm).

And with prayer again the same thing - you'll be better off going bossing to Bandos or TD's then spending money from drops on prayer.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

I would love to boss, but I suck at luring so TD's are out, and I was told my mage is too low for bandos, so I am mining conc gold and superheating to get my mage up. Not sure if I will ever do td's cause I dont want to deal with luring.

thegame1431.png

Only way to not suck at luring is practice.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

85 is plenty high enough if you're duoing with someone who's pretty muched maxed.

Then again if you want it up nice and easily do some mage slayer. Tasks like Steels, Irons, Ice Strykes and Abyssals are good big chunks of mage exp.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

Only way to not suck at luring is practice.

practice in runescape?

Don't make yourself a fool, runescape doesn't have anything you can practice in, as with the 0.6 second turns, and terribly laggy servers (especially europe mainland servers are terrible, I have a fibre wire connection of 1 Gbit/s and never lag to any game, yet all RS servers have 300-400 ping). This means that doing everything "correct" is more a matter of being lucky that your things are in the correct "turn" instead of rolling over to the next turn.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

85 is plenty high enough if you're duoing with someone who's pretty muched maxed.

Then again if you want it up nice and easily do some mage slayer. Tasks like Steels, Irons, Ice Strykes and Abyssals are good big chunks of mage exp.

I would but my mage gear stinks. I dont have any void items, and have very little interest right now in mini games that would take hours to get points to get void.

thegame1431.png

I would but my mage gear stinks. I dont have any void items, and have very little interest right now in mini games that would take hours to get points to get void.

Dagonhai top + bottom, SoL, Unholy Book, Infinity/Wizard boots. Sorted. When you can, upgrade to Ahrims. Void isn't used for slayer tbh.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png