Steam Runecrafting

Nifflin

Want to raise RC from 57 to 70. I heard steam runecrafting is the way to go. Can someone give me a run down on what the best most efficient way to do this is?

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

Had this question a while back:

Combination runecrafting requires you to use Magic Imbue (level 82, Lunar's), a Binding necklace, Pure essence, a large number of Air/Water/Earth runes and the corresponding talisman. If all of these are present you can use the elemental talisman you have on the Fire altar to make a bunch of Smoke/Steam/Lava runes. Ideally, you wear a Ring of Duelling to teleport you from Duel Arena (freakishly close to the Fire altar), where you Runecraft, to Castle wars, where you bank. Also, a Fire tiara to actually get in the altar.

If you don't have Magic Imbue, you will lose the talisman each time.

If you don't have a Binding necklace you will only succeed in making combination runes half the time.

Strictly speaking, Lava runes are more xp/hour but at a tremendous cost. Steam runes are slightly less xp but can be sold for considerably more.

Do note that Magic Imbue lasts a very short while (15 seconds IIRC). I know from experience that if you can't use Mousekeys, that emptying all pouches and a familiar is very hard within that timeframe. There's no room for error.

I think it's about 35K xp/hr.

capt%20kevin.png

Sounds costly, any clue what the gp/exp for each method would be?

PM me in game anytime

Do zmi you can get 45k xp/h at your level 50 to at least the 90s zmi is best its always best xp but dont bother making money till 90+ 82 i guess astrals if your desperate but if you can do frosts just zmi it all

Where the hell did you get that figure from?

He only has access to the first three pouches and he's level 50. That means the majority of his runes are going to be the lower leveled ones - and the bonus exp is going to be atrocious.

Steam is definitely the faster alternative for a long time (at least til 75 - by far)

capt%20kevin.png

The guy's rank 16 in RC, and is a frequenter of the 200m thread, I would trust him.

So that makes him automatically right? Lulwut?

45k exp is near the max for ZMI crafting.

Assuming you have 4 slots for the runecrafting pouches + 4 slots for runes - that leaves you with ~50 rune essence per inventory.

Taking a loss of 12 (~25%) essences per inventory and you think you can still get 45k exp per hour?

I don't care if he's rank 1 in RC, has 200M in RC, and reads the 200m thread every minute for updates - he's wrong.

capt%20kevin.png

The guy's rank 16 in RC, and is a frequenter of the 200m thread, I would trust him.

Assuming you have 4 slots for the runecrafting pouches + 4 slots for runes - that leaves you with ~50 rune essence per inventory.

Taking a loss of 12 (~25%) essences per inventory and you think you can still get 45k exp per hour?

I don't care if he's rank 1 in RC, has 200M in RC, and reads the 200m thread every minute for updates - he's wrong.

I don't know where your figures come from, but the max for ZMI crafting is over 60k per hour. Nobody with ~50 RC will get anywhere near this of course, but you're way off.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

Wow relax there.

My point is that for someone who does ZMI that much, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Staurolite.png

Arbiter is right. 45k xp per hour is doable at low rc levels. The xp/hour at zmi is only partially dependent on your runecrafting level, and much more dependent on access to the last RC pouch, the speed at which you can bank, and how fast you can fill and empty your pouches.

Also, it is fairly obvious that you have no idea how zmi works Litterbug. For starters, you don't get the 4th pouch till level 75. Then, you only use 1 slot for the rune stack you use for banking. I carry about 30k fire runes when I do it. This leaves you with 24 inventory spaces, and 18 more for ess. That's 42 ess per run at level 50-75.

A simple youtube search will yield several ZMI videos explaining exactly how you can maximise xp/hour. Phoenix Odin even has a vid with exact xp records and times in the discription. Find it

Do not make up numbers and "facts" when you do not know the training method for a certain skill.

pere_grin.png

Arbiter is right. 45k xp per hour is doable at low rc levels. The xp/hour at zmi is only partially dependent on your runecrafting level, and much more dependent on access to the last RC pouch, the speed at which you can bank, and how fast you can fill and empty your pouches.

Also, it is fairly obvious that you have no idea how zmi works Litterbug. For starters, you don't get the 4th pouch till level 75. Then, you only use 1 slot for the rune stack you use for banking. I carry about 30k fire runes when I do it. This leaves you with 24 inventory spaces, and 18 more for ess. That's 42 ess per run at level 50-75.

A simple youtube search will yield several ZMI videos explaining exactly how you can maximise xp/hour. Phoenix Odin even has a vid with exact xp records and times in the discription. Find it

Do not make up numbers and "facts" when you do not know the training method for a certain skill.

Do you not know how to read?

It's fairly obvious that you don't fully read one's entire post and think for yourself :(

I was mistaken in the max exp per hour (I remembered hearing it somewhere - whoops) but I was saying that 45k is impossible for him.

I did account for the fact that the OP cannot use the last RC pouch (see that part where I mentioned the loss of 12 essence per inventory? 12 essence in a large bag wut?)

You're right, you do use one slot for the runes you carry to bank but at low level - you need to carry the runes necessary to teleport to Ourania altar (or did you not remember that)

I'm guessing you don't teleport to the altar - you just fly there?

It's great that you only think about your skills at high levels because the training effects will be the same.

Speaking as somebody who has both runecrafted using the ZMI altar AND the steam runecrafting method - It is definitely better to craft steam runes then do the ZMI altar.

capt%20kevin.png

You craft the runes for Ourania teleport at the altar, no need to carry them. I personally carry air runes to pay the banker as well to repair my pouches (NPC contact takes airs, but you don't craft many at 75+ rc).

At 75 rc you're talking 60 essence per run with familiar or 53 without, from 50 to 75 you can carry 49 or 42. So that's 11/60th loss or up to 11/53rd loss, but still way under a quarter, so if you take the max rate at 60-65k, you lose ~12k xp/hr + whatever you lose for crafting lower-levelled runes. That puts you at a neat 45k max xp rate or thereabouts.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

You craft the runes for Ourania teleport at the altar, no need to carry them. I personally carry air runes to pay the banker as well to repair my pouches (NPC contact takes airs, but you don't craft many at 75+ rc).

At 75 rc you're talking 60 essence per run with familiar or 53 without, from 50 to 75 you can carry 49 or 42. So that's 11/60th loss or up to 11/53rd loss, but still way under a quarter, so if you take the max rate at 60-65k, you lose ~12k xp/hr + whatever you lose for crafting lower-levelled runes. That puts you at a neat 45k max xp rate or thereabouts.

I don't know about the costs of ZMI at 57 RC, but I'd expect the XP to be fairly similar, if steams are 35k/hr.

So then, if the absolute max for him at ZMI is 45k/hr, but steams are 35k/hr, I think managing 35k/hr at ZMI sounds doable. The two methods will be fairly close, at least. It may come down to cost. Calculating the cost of steam crafting should be fairly straightforward, but has anybody made a ZMI cost/profit calculator that goes down to 57 RC?

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

I was trying to note that at lower levels - you may not get the runes (I don't know if this occurs often or not)

This happened to me at least once (and I was around ~48-50 iirc) so I just sacrificed three slots just to make sure I didn't get stuck

I guess if it's not something that happens often - you can always bring a glory or a item that teles you close to a bank

capt%20kevin.png

@ Pere grim odins vid is outdated but yeah alot foc orrect info still in there

Set up for zmi 50-75 would be 3 pouches u can use + familiar 25 ess in those + + astrals and laws in inventory i reccomend having those in invent till 75 + air runes for banking assuming your using npc contact to repair pouches bank with airs instead of fires so airs already in inventso 22 ess+ 25 ess is 47 ess at say 16 xp/ess averaged from 50-75 thats 752 xp/trip shouldnt be hard only using 3 pouches + fam to get 59 seconds/lap

Got anything else to say? Kthnxbai

@ Alph youll break even/barely lose depeding on ess praice and runes like 3 weeks ago when i started working on a rc guide and ess was like 118 ea i think you broke even /slight profit from 50-75 but things change

aribiterspar3.png

Relax, I decided to try out both. I find that I prefer ZMI, thanks for the input though everyone.

PM me in game anytime