Any Other D&D Players Out There?

Greatsilverwyrm

I am, though I've not done it for ages and am out of touch, I should think. I've only done it with second edition rules, but I've got the rulebooks and things for 3rd/3.5 or whatever it is these days. Still, I suppose it's one of those things you have to experience to fully understand (the way 3rd ed. works, I mean).

Some of the people we did it with have come to college now (in the year below me). Apparently they carried on for a while after we left, but it all broke down, and they started again with third edition. I wonder if they still do that...?

Anyway: I'm hugely into the older computer games, by which I mean anything from around the time of Pools of Darkness or Curse of the Asure Bonds (or whatever) to Baldur's Gate II -- I haven't liked any that I've played since then. They seem to be too hack-n-slashy and "modern"; not as deep.

As the others have said, the comp games. I have been playing BG1+expansion, and BG2...I'm starting the expansion to that in a few days. Then Icewind Dale. Then NWN. These games are huge...

I might like to play, but I doubt anyone I know would play, and it wouldn't be worthwhile to learn that much about it if I knew anyone.

Can you just tell me a few things?

How does the actual pen and paper game work? It there like a board, or is it entirely on paper. And does your character exist only on paper or is there like a figure. And what is the objective? I've tried looking in other places and asking people but no one gives a straight answer :|.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

I suppose it differs from place to place or people to people, but as far as I know, it usually involves having something like a little figure to represent the character on a table, showing their rough position -- also, little figures to represent enemies. They don't have to be, you know, special brand things or anything like that: if you've seen that episode of Bottom in which they play chess, you'll know what I mean when I say you can replace them with anything you have to hand, as long as you can keep track of what is what. The rest is done in the head and on paper; note making, etc. That sort of thing. Of course, there's a lot of dice throwing, etc.

Objectives... I'm not sure how to explain this, not having done enough of it to really know what it's like long-term. As far as I know, though, one can purchase or get hold of "packs" or modules or something of... well, missions or something. If you imagine you have a campaign, which is the overall goal -- which the characters and players may or may not know about -- then within that there are objectives which have to be completed; being more abstract than the computer games, these done all have to revolve around killing people (but usually do, probably). There might be "side quests" to do, as in the computer games. That's my understanding of it, anyway.

I suppose it differs from place to place or people to people, but as far as I know, it usually involves having something like a little figure to represent the character on a table, showing their rough position -- also, little figures to represent enemies. They don't have to be, you know, special brand things or anything like that: if you've seen that episode of Bottom in which they play chess, you'll know what I mean when I say you can replace them with anything you have to hand, as long as you can keep track of what is what. The rest is done in the head and on paper; note making, etc. That sort of thing. Of course, there's a lot of dice throwing, etc.

Objectives... I'm not sure how to explain this, not having done enough of it to really know what it's like long-term. As far as I know, though, one can purchase or get hold of "packs" or modules or something of... well, missions or something. If you imagine you have a campaign, which is the overall goal -- which the characters and players may or may not know about -- then within that there are objectives which have to be completed; being more abstract than the computer games, these done all have to revolve around killing people (but usually do, probably). There might be "side quests" to do, as in the computer games. That's my understanding of it, anyway.

So is there like a big map? Or what.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

I tried to play the tabletop game version (as opposed to computer) one christmas whilst drunk, I fell asleep.

I know the rules from the computer games, but I couldn't be bothered to play it on paper.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

Well, the campaign setting would have a world-map sort of thing -- but it's not used in a put on the table so that people can put their figures on it sort of way; it's like a map for a book -- read the Lord of the Rings? Like the maps for that.

Let's say that there's a dungeon. As far as I know (not having ever actually run a game) there is a map of that dungeon that the person doing the "behind the scenes" business can see, and no-one else can. Places are described, and perhaps a map is drawn out every now and then. There are also grids, as I recall, that can be put down to show more detailed maps and things -- not sure, really.

To recap.: if your characters travel to some far off city, you might be told "you arrive in [city]. [Description]". Now, if you have access to a world map -- i.e. a map of that whole made up world, you can look at it and think "OK, I'm here"; that's about as much as the world map is used for, other than perhaps... getting an idea of how far away somewhere is.

I really can't say any more; I only did this a few times, so am not really qualified.

I love PnP d&d my fav charactor was a Druid Doppelganger ( druid shape-shifter) But I haven't played in a bit SInce i play on a paintball team and our dnd crew broke up. I want to play Elder scrolls IV Oblivion but i have ps2 not 360 and pc version is not out yet and will prolly lag to bad on my laptop.

bunnysig110.png

mahlachi.png

mahlachi.png

Thank You Jagex, The New Bank system Is here!

I love PnP d&d my fav charactor was a Druid Doppelganger ( druid shape-shifter) But I haven't played in a bit SInce i play on a paintball team and our dnd crew broke up. I want to play Elder scrolls IV Oblivion but i have ps2 not 360 and pc version is not out yet and will prolly lag to bad on my laptop.

not out yet on ps2 or 360 either, and i dont think its ever coming out on ps2.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I got my 12 sided dice and IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m ready to roll

With my wizard and my goblin crew.

My friends are commin over to my momÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s basement

Bringin funions and mountain dew.

I got a big broad sword made out of cardboard

And the stereos a pumping Zepplin

ItÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s that time of night when we turn on the black lights.

Let the dungeons and dragons begin.

ItÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s D&D, fighting with the legends of yore

Its D&D never kissed a lady before.

Now the Lord of the rings, the dark Crystal and things

We use this as a reference tool.

And when we put on our cloaks and tell warlock jokes

WeÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re the coolest kids at the school (not really)

TedÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s a (Censor) but a fair dungeon master

HeÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s got hit points and charisma to lend

And I rehearse in my room or what I call the dragonÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s tomb

When IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m not out with my girlfriendÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ

(Whoa, whoa, you got a girlfriend?) (Yeah, yeahÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ no.)

ItÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s D&D, warriors so terrified.

ts D&D, virgins till the day weÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ Die!!!

The D&D song by Stephen Lynch :lol:

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have small purple pet elephants named Jack. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who like to do the fandango on Wednesday afternoons

not out yet on ps2 or 360 either, and i dont think its ever coming out on ps2.

He never said he thought it was coming out on ps2 :P

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

Well, the campaign setting would have a world-map sort of thing -- but it's not used in a put on the table so that people can put their figures on it sort of way; it's like a map for a book -- read the Lord of the Rings? Like the maps for that.

Let's say that there's a dungeon. As far as I know (not having ever actually run a game) there is a map of that dungeon that the person doing the "behind the scenes" business can see, and no-one else can. Places are described, and perhaps a map is drawn out every now and then. There are also grids, as I recall, that can be put down to show more detailed maps and things -- not sure, really.

To recap.: if your characters travel to some far off city, you might be told "you arrive in [city]. [Description]". Now, if you have access to a world map -- i.e. a map of that whole made up world, you can look at it and think "OK, I'm here"; that's about as much as the world map is used for, other than perhaps... getting an idea of how far away somewhere is.

I really can't say any more; I only did this a few times, so am not really qualified.

So how do you move about? Do you use your 20 sided-dice or do you just say, "travel to Amn" or whatever.

While we're on that topic, is is based in the Forgotten Realms? And does it include the sword coast with Amn and such.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

I'm DMing a game with my brother right now, its very fun.

As the others have said, the comp games. I have been playing BG1+expansion, and BG2...I'm starting the expansion to that in a few days. Then Icewind Dale. Then NWN. These games are huge...

I might like to play, but I doubt anyone I know would play, and it wouldn't be worthwhile to learn that much about it if I knew anyone.

Can you just tell me a few things?

How does the actual pen and paper game work? It there like a board, or is it entirely on paper. And does your character exist only on paper or is there like a figure. And what is the objective? I've tried looking in other places and asking people but no one gives a straight answer :|.

Heres how it goes Mr. P;

One person in the group of gamers becomes the DM (which is short for Dungeon Master, AKA GM, or game master) who in essence, created the intereactive story that the others want to be a part of. Usualy, a DM will create a campaign which is composed of many smaller 'adventures' that usualy has some underlying theme (save the ancient elven crystals and close the Abyss) and a problem that must be resolved before the campaign is over. And adventure is usualy a set of relativly intertwined events that the characters take part in, a segment of the plot, like a chapter. ( The ancient elven people have sent you on your first mission- destroy the Ogre Magi and take the first crystal!) Anyways, the remaining group creates 'characters'. Characters are defined by their race, and there class (warrior, mage, theif, etc) and thier abilities, personalities, and equipment. ( The Bwarven barbarian named Brick, the little killing machine with a huge axe) The characters begin at a low level, and over the course of their adventure aim to become stronger and stronger.

When an adventure starts, a synopsis of the plot hook is given, and the palyers react (of course we listen to the elves, lets go after the ogres!) a narrative is given with more responses from the players, this is roleplaying. When combat begins (The Ogre Magi spot you and begin to chant menacing spells), its customary to whip out a small map made up of a grid to denote area (Ok guys, 1 inch on the grid= 5 feet, got it?) and by either using figures or other types of counters ( I use die with colors corresponding to the characters) show how things are moving and the distances involved and whos where. Dice are rolled to discern the winner of the battle ( There are long and rather complicated rules on combat, a good 10 rounds [each round being only 6 seconds, so a minute) can take up to an hour of descisions and dice rolling based on your characters skills and exquipment)

Also, the Forgotten realms (where my campaign is set) is not the 'setting of D&D, but rather just a prewritten sourcebook for DMs who do not want to create an entirely new world everytme they do a new campaign, and want to use material shown there. There are also settings such as Greyhawk and Ebberon, and your always free to make your own setting.

I'm not sure if you know his from the games, but have you heard of waterdeep? Thats where my players are. :wink:

I'm a nerd 8)

Some addatives to what Godslayer has said:

90% of it is role-playing. You basically "pretend" (though that makes it sound way more lame than it actually is) you are your character, and you react to what the DM is saying happens.

On anything that means anything, you have to roll a dice to determine the outcome, 99% of the time it's a d20, or 20-sided dice.

For instance, my elven fighter comes up to a chasm, and rolls a jump check to see if they can jump it. I roll a d20, then take my result and add in whatever my + to jump is. That's my strength modifier (a number based on my strength level), and any ranks (skill points) I have into jump.

Lots of stuff like that.

The combat is based off of die-rolls.

Say I have a longsword. I roll a d20, and add in any modifiers to see if I'm able to hit.

So, say I have a +11 to hit (based on various things), so I roll a 15, and add 11, that's 26. If the 26 hits (the DM decides based on what he knows about the monster I'm attacking), I roll for damage.

The longsword does 1d8+4 damage, so I roll an 8-sided die, and add 4 to it, and that's how much damage I do.

There's a huge variance in what weapons do what damage, various things that add to damage, or + to hit, etc.

The pencil/paper element is basically you have several sheets of paper which helps you remember what your character's name is, his attributes, what items he's carrying, history, notes about the campaign, etc etc..

If you have any other questions, feel free to msgn me on msn.

IRKAa.jpg

Ok, so the Dungeon master completely makes up an entire story? How long does that take? So they have the make up an entire world (unless you use one that they already have, as you said) and every chasm, monster, item etc etc etc has to be made up beforehand? And an entire story and all the quests? If I understand right, sounds like a lot of work.

And please describe the Roleplaying elements more? Like, how do you pretend to be a half-elf?

I pretty much understand the combat elements, because as I played through BG1 and 2, I made sure the dice-rolls were always on, and I did a bit of reading on the AC and the THAC0's and all that other good stuff.

I'm not sure if you know his from the games, but have you heard of waterdeep? Thats where my players are.
Yup, that's in the games...I think NVN takes place there (correct me if I'm wrong) but it's definately mentioned often.

I think I'm just going to stick to KOTOR
Yeah, the good thing about KOTOR is you can keep it entirely behind the scenes and play it like just some semi-turn-based game (or real-time if you wish), or you can play it entirely turn-based with all the number crunching.
bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Ok, so the Dungeon master completely makes up an entire story? How long does that take? So they have the make up an entire world (unless you use one that they already have, as you said) and every chasm, monster, item etc etc etc has to be made up beforehand? And an entire story and all the quests? If I understand right, sounds like a lot of work.

And please describe the Roleplaying elements more? Like, how do you pretend to be a half-elf?

I pretty much understand the combat elements, because as I played through BG1 and 2, I made sure the dice-rolls were always on, and I did a bit of reading on the AC and the THAC0's and all that other good stuff.

I'm not sure if you know his from the games, but have you heard of waterdeep? Thats where my players are.
Yup, that's in the games...I think NVN takes place there (correct me if I'm wrong) but it's definately mentioned often.

I think I'm just going to stick to KOTOR
Yeah, the good thing about KOTOR is you can keep it entirely behind the scenes and play it like just some semi-turn-based game (or real-time if you wish), or you can play it entirely turn-based with all the number crunching.

You are correct, DMing is time consuming and difficult sometimes. I have books on the city of waterdeep and the setting of Fearun, so its a bit easier, but I have to write up every single adventure and figure out whats going to happen and dictate the game in terms of refereeing. :wink:

Also, roleplaying is simple. Basicaly, its assuming the role of your character. Your rping(roleplaying) is dicated by your characters personality, and is basicaly saying what you do and say.

An example:

The half elf, Gwex Sharpbolt, is speaking to the anceint Elven sage who explains their quest to find the crystals:

Gwex Sharpbolt (GS): Yes sire? Why have you summoned us then?

Elf(E): Hello my child, please, please sit. I have many a grave thing to tell you, and I'm sure the comfort of my home will lessen my saying.

GS: (I'll take a seat) You know, I beleive we are kin sire, your daughter was Aeriel, was she not?

E: Indeed, one of 3. But, child, this is of no matter now. You see, the elven shards...

Not the best example, but you see what I mean.

One good example would be that you are intelligent, but your character has a very low intelligence.

So, somone says __ artifact is cursed. But you, having low intelligence, pick it up anyway. Your arm is severed.

Any normal person would stop there, but, since your character has low intelligence, you pick it up again, and again, until all of your limbs have been severed no less than 3 times each..

One of my friends actually did that... meh

Obviously not always exactly like that, but that gives you an idea of it.

Also, the DM doesn't neccesarily have to come up with the complete story beforehand. That would limit him to a structure too much. He comes up with the basic plotline, the basic structure of everything, etc. Then he improvises the small stuff, just as the characters improvise while roleplaying.

IRKAa.jpg

...and of course, one can roleplay to different degrees: some people will really get into character, whereas others stick to "I walk through the door", or "I ask him what he's on about". It is still possible to create a "character" that way, by which I mean an interesting person. So, where in Godslayer's example there was a lot of talking in character, other people might just say "I ask him about this or that".

I suppose it must be easier to deal with inter-character relationships (assuming you want to go into that) if one makes a big effort over it; my friends and I didn't bother though (first time -- we just wanted to get a good way into it first). We still managed to get characters with personality, however -- actions, as the clicḫ̩̉̉ goes, speak louder than words sometimes. For instance, we had a paladin, but he was really annoyed with having picked that class and getting the statistics he got; he started acting the part of a wreckless do-gooder paladin in order to get the character killed. Without actually going into detailed conversation with the NPCs, he still managed to put across that his character was acting like "Hail, noble squire! What h o! Lead us not into temptation, but allow me to deliver us into evil!" and so on.