Roll to Dodge: The Tavern

Jehosaphat

So I picked up on a new (to me) type of RPing game from Bay12 called RTD. It typically uses a d6 and certain small bonuses to determine a player's success instead of a d20, and turns occur once all players have posted an action for that turn.

[hide=The Way it Works]

If you roll a...

1 - You fail epically.

2 - You fail normally.

3 - You sort of succeed.

4 - You succeed.

5 - You succeed, with a few extras.

6 - You win so hard that things start to break.

Also, if you are inactive for over 36 hours, then the GM does your action for you to allow for smoother gameplay.[/hide]

I figured I had the time to start one over here in the Tavern, so here goes. It's based off the old concept that someone had about all the Tavernites getting stuck in a city during a zombie invasion.

Make your characters. I will allow one +1 positive perk and require at least one negative perk, and one weapon of choice.

[hide=Sample Characters]

Name: Pyotr McStereotypicalRussian

Perks:

- Hardened: Pyotr is a war veteran, and thus gets +1 to using most forms of standard weaponry.

- Drunk: Pyotr is almost constantly drunk.... -1 to all rolls when sober.

Bio: blah blah blah Russian blah blah vodka blah blah cold war blah blah blah

Description: Tall, scarred dude always holding a jug of vodka and wearing a parka. ALWAYS.

Name: Mary Sue

Perks:

- Genius: Mary is an expert at everything, so she gets a +1 to all rolls.

- Lone Weakness: If an enemy ever figure out her one weakness, she gets a -6 for the next 5 turns. This can only happen once, though - she gets over it afterwards.

Bio: Buncha crap, probably some vampires and dead parents somewhere.

Description: She has a scar in the shape of a rainbow on her left pinky toe and a birthmark shaped like a star on her nose.

Name: Stork

Perks:

- Nerd: Stork is an engineering nerd, and thus gets a +1 to all rolls involving the use or creation of improvised weaponry.

- Nerd Part II: Stork is a nerd, and thus gets a -1 to all rolls involving strength or speed.

Bio: LIKE I'D TELL YOU BAHAHAHAHHA

Description: See above.[/hide]

[hide=Character List at Gamestart]

[hide=Spork]

Name: Jamal

Perks

- Getto roots - Gets a +1 for shooting, stabbing and running from police zombies

- Dem Numbas - Gets a -1 on all tasks requiring a 7th grade or higher education

Weapon - A cheap AK-47 clone with the barrel sawed off that he tucks under his shirt, and a 4" switchblade.

Bio: Born in Compton, raised in the streets of The Bronx, all Jamal has ever known is the ghetto. At the age of 17 he was sentenced to 10 years in prison for selling cocaine after he tried to deal in the holding cell where he was being held for selling cocaine to 6th graders as 'magic powder'. Jamal had only been employed in the office for 2 days as a janitor, and had only gone so his P.O. wouldn't ship him back off to jail.

Description: Tall and muscular. Has a scar under his left eye, and a prison tat on the right side. Has fair skin, blonde hair and blue eyes.[/hide]

[hide=Icu]

Name: Iku Owage (Iku for short)

Perks:

Zombie Survivalist Expert: +1 to all rolls that concern survival in anyway or zombies in anyway. This perk can be consumed, rendering it useless for 5 rounds for an in game hint.

If I get lag out here....: Still believes his in a video game and has a random chance to have a lag fit, where he takes -2 on all rolls for the severity of the lag spasm.

Bio:Having been keeping up with the latest zombie games during the outbreak, Iku was unable to tell if the real outbreak was a video game or actual real life. Believing that a zombie outbreak is redicious, he decided that he is dreaming and that the zombie outbreak is part of it.

Weapon: Automatic Crossbow.[/hide]

[hide=Iey]Ieyfura

Industrial Dance: +1 to agility/flexibilty, w/e the stat is for that sorta thing.

Cocky Attitude: -1 in knowing when to run away and when to fight.

Weapon: Crowbar [/hide]

[hide=Nex]Name: Nex

Weapon: Standing Lamp

Perks:

- Middle Management RAGE: Nex is proficient in turning nearly any object in a room into a deadly weapon. +1 to Improvised Weapon rolls

- Medieval Training: Nex is unfamiliar and uncomfortable with modern firearms. -1 to Firearm rolls

Bio: Forced to give up his medieval reenactments and middle-management job to stave off the zombie apocalypse, Nex is determined to kick life in the nards.

Description: Tall with strawberry blonde/dirty brown/seaweed green/dark gold hair depending who you ask, only slightly less strong than a musculus Norwegian. [/hide]

[hide=Earth]Name: Earth

Perks:

Totally bloody crazy: More prone to do insane things (Or go off the deep end in times of stress) and very bad with social situations. -1 to any social rolls, GM decides when to make a sanity save check.

Bookworm of death: whenever holding a book on hand, it's quite possible for him to use that as a weapon with a +1 to attack rolls. (Mostly doesn't because he doesn't want to ruin the book.)

Weapons: Fists.

Backstory: He's just crazy. About books, and life in general. Despite haveing such a poor memory that he has no idea what his actuall name is, he continuously calls himself Earth because he likes the sound of the name.

Description: Medium height, green/blue eyes, wearing green clothes. Looks sorta like Link, except with moderner clothes and brown hair.. And no sock hat.[/hide]

[hide=Lynx]Name: Celeste (Back off the name, I've got dibs on it)

Age: 16 (Okay, so I'm not 16 yet, but in a few weeks time I will be)

Perks: Legend of Zelda Game Nerd- Poor girl, blame the grandma for letting her borrow Link to the Past. 2 in 6 chance of rolling, allows her to do a spin attack when rolled, +1 chance to dodge someone elses attack

APBTD (Annoying People By Talking Disorder)- Sadly, Celeste spent a few years diagnosed as ADHD, and unfortuantly that still causes her to talk around people she knows. 1 in 6 chance of rolling, she will talk non stop for two turns. -2 to dodge attack

Weapon: A sword obviously

Bio: She's a geek, and her father loves to point it out to her. But she doesn't care, she likes being a geek. She loves to roleplay, read, write, draw, and, yep ya guessed already, loves to play the Legend of Zelda games (don't like it? bite me!). She absolutly hates it when people rhyme her name with "pest" Has no rapping skills whatsoever. People think she's weird because she will take a hit from a small weighted ball between her eyes and then shake her head as if it was a V8 slap. Also they think she's weird for the "bobsled" accident, where she ended up fishtailing while zooming across the gym floor on a badly put together cart and then rolling over and skidding to a stop.

Description: Brown eyes, long brown hair that is always is in a ponytail, pale skin (because she doesn't like being outdoors), and is often wearing a tee-shirt and jeans/shorts (depending on the weather).[/hide]

[hide=Resistance] Charlie "Compulsive Gambler" Dixon

Perks:

- Cheating Bastard: +1 stealth in dark conditions

- Bad driver: -1 skill in driving any vehicle

- Compulsive Gambler: Rolling 2 on the die results in a 1, rolling 5 on a die results in a 6. 1,3,4,6 remain unaffected

Bio: Born in a small poor rural area he had a troubled upbringing, his father left at birth leaving only his bipolar mother to raise him till he was eight, frequently abused he finally plucked up the courage to fight back; he called the police and she was arrested with a broken bottle in her hand and her son bleeding on the floor. He spent his teenage years being raised by the community, this however meant that he essentially wasn't raised at all. At sixteen he ran away to find a better life with only his shirt and a small bundle of collected money. Ending up in Las Vegas he managed to make $70,000 in the first month however lost it all again. By age thirty three he had been living single in a single-bedroomed apartment.

Description: scarface.jpg

Weapon:

High-Power Four-barrel Break-action pistol firing four shotgun pellets with the choice of either firing them all at the same time or firing them individually.[/hide]

[hide=Retech]Name: Jen

Perks/Penalties:

True Nerd - As a true nerd, Jen frequently spends egregious amounts of time buried in her books. +1 to rolls involving the casting or learning of magic

Skeptic - Lack of preparation due to disbelief of the zombie apocalypse has led to her unpreparedness when the apocalypse finally came. -1 to rolls concerning strength or buffness (Not involving endurance, which is different)

Weapons: Pen/Wand

While useful as a dagger, its main purpose is a focus for super-nerdiness in the form of various spells.[/hide]

[hide=Grim]Name: Grim

Weapon: Falchion (because it looks cool)

Perks:

GRIM SMASH, GRIM STRONG! +1 on use of close combat weapons/strength tests

YOUR BOOK LEARNING IS FOR WEAK, GIRLY MEN: -1 on social rolls and on all knowledge tests.

BIO: Once upon a time, a non genre savvy branch of the government got their hands on some extra funding, bored out of their minds and more than a little bit drunk they designed to create a super soldier, this have worked rather well (as they had the necessary equipment) if they had not, as has been stated before, been drunk off of their asses. So, they each endeavored to create their own ideal super soldier (an idea which might have gone slightly better if they had not been only making two) and the first one was, as things such as that are wont to be, a completely inhuman monster. During the ensuing security breach, Grim waltzed out of the facility, with some implanted memories guiding him to...do stuff.

DESCRIPTION: Tall, muscular, blond hair, brown eyes (one of the researchers may or may not have been a neo nazi, which caused some problems with the Jewish members of the staff), slightly unfocused gaze, looks like a kid in a candy shop when fighting, and is generally not the most subtle of people.[/hide]

[hide=Mather]Name: Mathias.

Weapon: Would a 12mm handgun be acceptable?

Perks:

- Unstable: Mathias is unstable, as a result there is a 1 in 6 chance of him snapping for 5 turns upon receiving a negative event (takes damage, weapon breaks, stubs toe...) which causes a +2 modifier for any attack or destruction roll.

- Unstable Part II: When Mathias snaps he also receives a -2 modifier for dodging rolls.

Bio: Blah, blah. Lifestory. Blah, blah...

Description: skolebilde.jpg[/hide]

[/hide]

I'm gonna try to keep it somewhat simple, so I can handle up to, say, 8 characters. Rolls will start in about 6 hours - characters can still be made and implemented afterwards, though.

a70c7.png

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[obligatory pushing of FATE]Perhaps you would be interested in the FATE system, it is one of the few systems (that I am aware of) that actually requires playing your character (role playing) as part of game play, as well as being completely classless and heavily customizable. [/obligatory pushing of FATE]

Right, is this our tavern persona or is it a character we make up out of the blue?

LNYvk.png

[obligatory pushing of FATE]Perhaps you would be interested in the FATE system, it is one of the few systems (that I am aware of) that actually requires playing your character (role playing) as part of game play, as well as being completely classless and heavily customizable. [/obligatory pushing of FATE]

Right, is this our tavern persona or is it a character we make up out of the blue?

Second bit: Your choice really.

First bit: Eh, I might look in to it for a different game. This one's going to stay the way it is, though.

a70c7.png

I'm pretty sure that the original Dungeoneering was based off roll to dodge too. :P

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Name: Mathias.

Weapon: Would a 12mm handgun be acceptable?

Perks:

- Unstable: Mathias is unstable, as a result there is a 1 in 6 chance of him snapping for 5 turns upon receiving a negative event (takes damage, weapon breaks, stubs toe...) which causes a +2 modifier for any attack or destruction roll.

- Unstable Part II: When Mathias snaps he also receives a -2 modifier for dodging rolls.

Bio: Blah, blah. Lifestory. Blah, blah...

Description: See avatar.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

I'm pretty sure that the original Dungeoneering was based off roll to dodge too. :P

It was based off of RTD, yes. But they are not one and the same, from what I've seen - in Dungeoneering, a d20 was used, and the GM(s) kept the actual numeric result of the roll and whether or not player equipment had bonuses to themselves. In RTD, from what I've seen, the GM shows rolls and equipment bonuses.

Not to mention the large difference in how they're run...

Lynx, you don't need a dice. The GM does the rolling.

a70c7.png

What time period? Is there magic? Is it real-life nitty gritty "gf you died again"? Details pl0x. :)

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

What time period? Is there magic? Is it real-life nitty gritty "gf you died again"? Details pl0x. :)

It's based off the old concept that someone had about all the Tavernites getting stuck in a city during a zombie invasion.

qTLQRuS.png

Time period is modern, magic exists in elemental forms (just because), and I do not intend for it to be easy...

Mather, your positive perk (i.e. the one that gives a + bonus to certain rules) can only be +1. Keeps things balanced, for now.

a70c7.png

Right, time to play up the GRIM SMASH then.

Name: Grim

Weapon: Falchion (because it looks cool)

Perks:

GRIM SMASH, GRIM STRONG! +1 on use of close combat weapons/strength tests

YOUR BOOK LEARNING IS FOR WEAK, GIRLY MEN: -1 on social rolls and on all knowledge tests.

BIO: Once upon a time, a non genre savvy branch of the government got their hands on some extra funding, bored out of their minds and more than a little bit drunk they designed to create a super soldier, this have worked rather well (as they had the necessary equipment) if they had not, as has been stated before, been drunk off of their asses. So, they each endeavored to create their own ideal super soldier (an idea which might have gone slightly better if they had not been only making two) and the first one was, as things such as that are wont to be, a completely inhuman monster. During the ensuing security breach, Grim waltzed out of the facility, with some implanted memories guiding him to...do stuff.

DESCRIPTION: Tall, muscular, blond hair, brown eyes (one of the researchers may or may not have been a neo nazi, which caused some problems with the Jewish members of the staff), slightly unfocused gaze, looks like a kid in a candy shop when fighting, and is generally not the most subtle of people.

LNYvk.png

Name: Jen

Perks/Penalties:

True Nerd - As a true nerd, Jen frequently spends egregious amounts of time buried in her books. +1 to rolls involving the casting or learning of magic

Skeptic - Lack of preparation due to disbelief of the zombie apocalypse has led to her unpreparedness when the apocalypse finally came. -1 to rolls concerning strength or buffness (Not involving endurance, which is different)

Weapons: Pen/Wand

While useful as a dagger, its main purpose is a focus for super-nerdiness in the form of various spells.

Charlie "Compulsive Gambler" Dixon

Perks:

- Cheating Bastard: +1 stealth in dark conditions

- Bad driver: -1 skill in driving any vehicle

- Compulsive Gambler: Rolling 2 on the die results in a 1, rolling 5 on a die results in a 6. 1,3,4,6 remain unaffected

Bio: Born in a small poor rural area he had a troubled upbringing, his father left at birth leaving only his bipolar mother to raise him till he was eight, frequently abused he finally plucked up the courage to fight back; he called the police and she was arrested with a broken bottle in her hand and her son bleeding on the floor. He spent his teenage years being raised by the community, this however meant that he essentially wasn't raised at all. At sixteen he ran away to find a better life with only his shirt and a small bundle of collected money. Ending up in Las Vegas he managed to make $70,000 in the first month however lost it all again. By age thirty three he had been living single in a single-bedroomed apartment.

Description: [hide]scarface.jpg[/hide]

Weapon: [hide]Shortstoppp.png[/hide]High-Power Four-barrel Break-action pistol firing four shotgun pellets with the choice of either firing them all at the same time or firing them individually.

qTLQRuS.png

Phew, good I don't have to roll.

Name: Celeste (Back off the name, I've got dibs on it)

--Age: 16 (Okay, so I'm not 16 yet, but in a few weeks time I will be)

---Perks: Legend of Zelda Game Nerd- Poor girl, blame the grandma for letting her borrow Link to the Past. 2 in 6 chance of rolling, allows her to do a spin attack when rolled, +1 chance to dodge someone elses attack

APBTD (Annoying People By Talking Disorder)- Sadly, Celeste spent a few years diagnosed as ADHD, and unfortuantly that still causes her to talk around people she knows. 1 in 6 chance of rolling, she will talk non stop for two turns. -2 to dodge attack

----Weapon: A sword obviously

-----Bio: She's a geek, and her father loves to point it out to her. But she doesn't care, she likes being a geek. She loves to roleplay, read, write, draw, and, yep ya guessed already, loves to play the Legend of Zelda games (don't like it? bite me!). She absolutly hates it when people rhyme her name with "pest" Has no rapping skills whatsoever. People think she's weird because she will take a hit from a small weighted ball between her eyes and then shake her head as if it was a V8 slap. Also they think she's weird for the "bobsled" accident, where she ended up fishtailing while zooming across the gym floor on a badly put together cart and then rolling over and skidding to a stop.

------Description: Brown eyes, long brown hair that is always is in a ponytail, pale skin (because she doesn't like being outdoors), and is often wearing a tee-shirt and jeans/shorts (depending on the weather). Eventualy see Avatar on left.

Name: Earth

Perks:

Totally bloody crazy: More prone to do insane things (Or go off the deep end in times of stress) and very bad with social situations. -1 to any social rolls, GM decides when to make a sanity save check.

Bookworm of death: whenever holding a book on hand, it's quite possible for him to use that as a weapon with a +1 to attack rolls. (Mostly doesn't because he doesn't want to ruin the book.)

Weapons: Fists.

Backstory: He's just crazy. About books, and life in general. Despite haveing such a poor memory that he has no idea what his actuall name is, he continuously calls himself Earth because he likes the sound of the name.

Description: Medium height, green/blue eyes, wearing green clothes. Looks sorta like Link, except with moderner clothes and brown hair.. And no sock hat.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Name: Nex

Weapon: Standing Lamp

Perks:

- Middle Management RAGE: Nex is proficient in turning nearly any object in a room into a deadly weapon. +1 to Improvised Weapon rolls

- Medieval Training: Nex is unfamiliar and uncomfortable with modern firearms. -1 to Firearm rolls

Bio: Forced to give up his medieval reenactments and middle-management job to stave off the zombie apocalypse, Nex is determined to kick life in the nards.

Description: Tall with strawberry blonde/dirty brown/seaweed green/dark gold hair depending who you ask, only slightly less strong than a musculus Norwegian.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Alright.

You're all holed up in an office building and have managed to keep the zombie horde below you. You're currently all on the 32nd floor, with no noticeable means of escape. The doors to any stairways are all barricaded and being beaten on by zombies, and the elevators are all shut off due to the power going out. It's still day, so you can see what you're doing, but the sun looms low on the horizon...

Post your actions.

a70c7.png

Grim realizes that the puny half men can not hold off even the most pitiful of the walking dead, and looks for any fire escapes/balconies with which a tactical retreat would be possible. He also looks for supplies, most notably ammunition for the half men's fire rods.

LNYvk.png

Starts reading his book, without a care in the world.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

May play eventually(between everything else)

Archimage: Xoex (Pronouced Zo-x) Human, age 31, Female:

A long mace - Read Sigil of Helia

The Solarii (plural of Solarus) are the warrior women of the Sun-Goddess Helia. With her blessing, the Solarii wage war against evil. Each Solarus bears the sigil of Helia, a massive spiked mace, with which she may focus the sun's energy into cleansing fire-magic.

Each generation, according to Solarus legend, the Sun-Goddess Helia manifests herself as the Sovereign. The Solarii, in their service to the Sovereign, prepare their soul for its voyage to the Sun-Goddess's kingdom. For eternity, the souls of the Solarii garrison the kingdoms of Helia in her perpetual struggle with Lunord, Lord of the Night.

The Mace of the Divine:

+1 to all rolls in the daylight hours (even underground).

+6(Automatic success) to all castings of Solar Strike, as long as the sun is not obscured.

-2 to all rolls not in daylight hours.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Nex gathers a pile of all sharp, metal, and weighty objects in the room and throws them at any zombie that comes into view (breaks a hole in the door, yada yada).

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I find it truly [developmentally delayed]ed that I am the only one here with a gun in a modern survival situation. It's just a handgun yet it is the strongest weapon so far. Although ammo would be rare since I chose a 12mm, but what I lack in ammunition I take up in effectivity; I effectively can't get a headshot without a kill.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1