3D printing

Dheginsea

12 members have voted

1. 1. Will it come into wide use in the near future?

• Yes
    • No

3D printing is a form of additive manufacturing technology where a three dimensional object is created by laying down successive layers of material. 3D printers are generally faster, more affordable and easier to use than other additive manufacturing technologies. 3D printers offer product developers the ability to print parts and assemblies made of several materials with different mechanical and physical properties in a single build process. Advanced 3D printing technologies yield models that can serve as product prototypes.

A 3D printer works by taking a 3D computer file and constructing from it a series of cross-sectional slices. Each slice is then printed one on top of the other to create the 3D object.

That's the basic idea behind a 3D printer, not really one of those things that on star trek that could make anything in about 2 seconds but we're getting there.

So do you think that these kind of printers are gonna to be mass produced in the next couple of years and eventually become the norm? There are already a few models out for sale such as the make bot.

Dheginsea.png

I once met a man named Jesus at a Home Depot. Is this the Messiah returned at last?

And i once beat someone named Jesus in a chess game. Does that mean I'm smarter than the messiah?

BOW TO THE NEW MESSIAH

Maybe a president who didn't believe our soldiers were going to heaven, might be a little less willing to get them killed. ~ Bill Maher

Barrows drops: 2 Karil's Coifs (on double drop day)

92,150th person to 99 defense

Oh yeah. I think this is the future of creating a lot of simple 3D objects.

Actually, with WoW you can order a 3D figure of your character from a company. They use a 3D printer to make it, then touch up work and paint it by hand. Though it's god damn expensive to buy one. But as technology advances, this method will become cheaper and more widely-available. I'm sure we'll be able to 3D print things like simple automobile parts and such eventually. Maybe even more complex items that are cylinder-shaped(I imagine printing something that is a cylinder and has bends wouldn't be possible yet. Take a car muffler, for example. With the way the process works, printing the inside might not be possible).

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

3D printing is a form of additive manufacturing technology where a three dimensional object is created by laying down successive layers of material. 3D printers are generally faster, more affordable and easier to use than other additive manufacturing technologies. 3D printers offer product developers the ability to print parts and assemblies made of several materials with different mechanical and physical properties in a single build process. Advanced 3D printing technologies yield models that can serve as product prototypes.

A 3D printer works by taking a 3D computer file and constructing from it a series of cross-sectional slices. Each slice is then printed one on top of the other to create the 3D object.

That's the basic idea behind a 3D printer, not really one of those things that on star trek that could make anything in about 2 seconds but we're getting there.

So do you think that these kind of printers are gonna to be mass produced in the next couple of years and eventually become the norm? There are already a few models out for sale such as the make bot.

I saw this on Colbert the other night. I think it'll get blocked by lawsuits before it can take off.

Absolutely. We have one at school used in design classes, it's very cool. We were able to print a working adjustable wrench (with the twisty thing) though being plastic it would be a little weak for any real use.

Something to think about if 3D printers become popular is copyright issues over 3D objects. Anyone with access to a printer would be able to print off simple plastic objects such as bowls, cups, cutlery, maybe even things like squirt guns.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

You can make your own for ~$520.

http://reprap.org/wiki/Mendel

My high school purchased one with the funds from Project Lead The Way. I think they paid ~$30,000 for it.

3d printers aren't that new, they've been around since 1986 (Stereolithograph machines). Most big manufacturing firms have one or more. Purdue University has four that I know of in their first year engineering building; I wouldn't be surprised if they had more.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

The cost of the material is sure to be a lot more expensive than paper.

The printer my high school owns costs about $3 per cubic inch of material used, and has a resolution of a hundredth of an inch. Considering a model can go from your computer screen to a tangible object in under a few hours (compared to sending it away to a machine shop to be fabricated) I don't think it costs that much.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

It's a very interesting technology, though I don't think it will become the norm for additive manufacturing, and printing in general.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

It's interesting technology, but you really have to wonder whether letters need to be 3D for the printer to merit widespread use.

I don't think that's the point. The point is to replicate simple plastic objects, like say replacing the broken leg on your keyboard or making a set of shower rings.