Can you play an MMO without some form of Auction House?

COMYYY

http://forum.mmosite.com/thread/2/2/20110705/Can_you_play_an_MMO_without_some_form_of_Auction_House-4e133bec88662cb13-1.html

As title says...can you play an MMO that doesn't either have an Auction House/Broker system built into it?

Even a player shop is better than...

I'm literally unable to play Guild Wars and older MMOs that don't have some form of Auction House/Broker/Player shop.

I prefer an AH/Broker system, but even a player shop is much better than sitting in chat and spamming wtb/wts and

seeing 1000 lines of text going by every minute.

For me, I like auction houses, they are a great way to make easy money.

Runescape did it for a very long time, and, in my opinion, the game was much better without the grand exchange. The economy was extremely stable and people could do what they wanted with their items. The grand exchange ruined the game. If they would have brought out an auction house like WoW, it would have been better.

Runescape did it for a very long time, and, in my opinion, the game was much better without the grand exchange. The economy was extremely stable and people could do what they wanted with their items. The grand exchange ruined the game. If they would have brought out an auction house like WoW, it would have been better.

yes, spamming world 2 login for half an hour, then standing in fally park for another hour trying to find a decent deal was much better than the GE! :rolleyes:

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Yeah I agree, nowadays players are just sort of...there, and unless I'm bosshunting or playing a minigame (both happen rarely) then I almost never interact with people. The trade system of pre GE RS was much more social, and personally I liked how there were sort of regional trading spots, like Seers village for bow strings, or Yanille for alchemy supplies. That said, the GE is a great update, and I don't think I could go back to not having it. As for MMOs without some sort of auction house, well Eve online has no world wide auction house, but rather regional markets in the form of trade hubs, though trade is done almost everywhere, it is done much more en masse at trade hubs.

Rejected.jpg

As already mentioned, RS did it for a long time. I like the GE, but I dealt without it. I don't think I could do it now that RS is so huge. I know world 2 was crowded, but now every world can be crowded around cities, even with the GE.

Flyingjj.png

First thing that came to mind when I read the title was Guild Wars. It's so annoying trying to even get the right price on items since there are so many different variants of each item. Even using forums, it takes ages to get rid of rare stuff. Eventually it comes to a point where you can't even go to an explorable area with even one empty inventory tab. Hopefully they address the problem when GW 2 comes out.

Steven_Gerrard_sig_by_Gerrardinho.png

Yes it was. It made the game more social; now you can play without ever having to interact with another player.

What's so social about standing in fally park trying to find the right seller/buyer between the dozens of lines of text being spammed every second?

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I agree, nowadays players are just sort of...there, and unless I'm bosshunting or playing a minigame (both happen rarely) then I almost never interact with people. The trade system of pre GE RS was much more social, and personally I liked how there were sort of regional trading spots, like Seers village for bow strings, or Yanille for alchemy supplies. That said, the GE is a great update, and I don't think I could go back to not having it. As for MMOs without some sort of auction house, well Eve online has no world wide auction house, but rather regional markets in the form of trade hubs, though trade is done almost everywhere, it is done much more en masse at trade hubs.

This exactly. I liked it before GE, now I never talk to people other than friends. I enjoyed meeting new people.

Yes it was. It made the game more social; now you can play without ever having to interact with another player.

What's so social about standing in fally park trying to find the right seller/buyer between the dozens of lines of text being spammed every second?

I guess the social part of that was that you might find a permanent buyer or seller for something and you'd add them. Even when that happened though, I'd only ever PM the person when I wanted to buy/sell whatever item we had arranged when we met.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.