Learn the difference

Wessan

I see people all the time in real life who misuse words. It's nothing to do with the Internet. It's because educational standards now are so piss poor that people leave school claiming they can read and write, but without the abililty to spell or use basic words properly. The number of times I've heard of someone failing a university essay because they don't know the difference between "there", "their" and "they're", or capitalising every noun as if they were all proper. I can guarentee that's not Facebook's fault. :wall:

I'd say that's only part true. The main reason is that proper grammar isn't taken enough for people to fully understand these terms. Schools may just pour too much into other forms of education excluding grammar.

When working on homework or taking a test, we usually have multiple choice (Idk about you guys) and are given the material to fill it out and not give a hoot if the work was done without proper grammar. That may

be why people confuse the these words "you're" and "your" so often. Also, since we are so dependant on the internet as another form of communication, it gets even worse.

Or, talking. Talking doesn't help you deal with homophones either. And to be honest, the only time it truly matters is on essays where you lose marks for getting it wrong... As long as recipient of the information understands what is being said, you have succeeded in your communications. Hell, I can't count the number of times that someones corrects themselves because of a typo that I didn't notice until they corrected said typo.

Now, I'm not a supporter of things like leetspeak, typing u instead of you, lack of periods, lack of capitalizing the first letter of your sentence, lack of paragraphs in longer messages, I always try to spell my own words correctly and use correct grammar, but after a certain point it really doesn't matter because you can very easily understand what they are trying to say.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I dont know if it is people in RS who speak english as a second language or if people just really dont know the difference between "then" and "than".

I dont think a day goes by where i do not see someone use them incorrectly either in RS or even on these forums.

So to clear the air:

Than - a conjunction used to introduce the second part of a comparrison. Example: the corporeal beast has a higher combat level "than" a greater demon

Then - a word used to indicate at what time an action occured in an event or series of events. Example: earlier today i went to the store, "then" i went home to play some Runescape.

Learn the difference, use them correctly, and stop being a bunch of cabbages.

This rant was typed on my phone, so i cannot guarantee grammatical and spelling accuracy.

If you're going to complain about other people's grammatical mistakes, shouldn't you at least make sure everything you type is grammatically correct and spelled right? #-o

capt%20kevin.png

I dont know if it is people in RS who speak english as a second language or if people just really dont know the difference between "then" and "than".

I dont think a day goes by where i do not see someone use them incorrectly either in RS or even on these forums.

So to clear the air:

Than - a conjunction used to introduce the second part of a comparrison. Example: the corporeal beast has a higher combat level "than" a greater demon

Then - a word used to indicate at what time an action occured in an event or series of events. Example: earlier today i went to the store, "then" i went home to play some Runescape.

Learn the difference, use them correctly, and stop being a bunch of cabbages.

This rant was typed on my phone, so i cannot guarantee grammatical and spelling accuracy.

If you're going to complain about other people's grammatical mistakes, shouldn't you at least make sure everything you type is grammatically correct and spelled right? #-o

Thank you :)

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I'm just thankful most of the morons who used buy and sell wrong have vanished.

I loathed the days of trading where people shouting "sell x" meant they wanted YOU to sell it and thus were BUYING x and conversly shouted "buy x" when they wanted YOU to buy it and were thus SELLING

Oh and the "Barrowing x" kids; its BORROW.

Hence why I stopped trading person-to-person a long time ago. Heck, I didn't really trade very much even before the GE. Generally used everything I got if it could be used, then would say "Bank Sale" or get on a fansite for anything I wanted to pawn off.

Guest jrhairychest

I see people all the time in real life who misuse words. It's nothing to do with the Internet. It's because educational standards now are so piss poor that people leave school claiming they can read and write, but without the abililty to spell or use basic words properly. The number of times I've heard of someone failing a university essay because they don't know the difference between "there", "their" and "they're", or capitalising every noun as if they were all proper. I can guarentee that's not Facebook's fault. :wall:

I do love it when posters harp on about spelling and grammar standards :-D .

I do love it when posters harp on about spelling and grammar standards :-D .

I could make a list of every error in this topic but I'd die of working too hard if I did so. Sadly, it seems there's almost always one in the post or posts of someone who's complaining about.

I can say it is difficult for me to remember the difference because I am dutch, but at least I try to do it right ;)

Btw I noticed this quite a few times when people say that a company like Jagex has done something they write it like one company are multiple people. Like: "Jagex have done this.". In Dutch You would write it as "Jagex has done this". Which one is correct in english? :)

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

I can say it is difficult for me to remember the difference because I am dutch, but at least I try to do it right ;)

Btw I noticed this quite a few times when people say that a company like Jagex has done something they write it like one company are multiple people. Like: "Jagex have done this.". In Dutch You would write it as "Jagex has done this". Which one is correct in english? :)

Either way works in english, depends on context.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

If you're referring to Jagex the organization, you should use have. I.e.:

Those meddling kids have ruined my plans!

That meddling kid has ruined my plans!

I don't understand that because by dutch rules your explanation would result in:

Those meddling organizations (multiple Jagex' :P) have ruined my plans!

That meddling Jagex has ruined my plans!

You would only get have when doing something like this:

Those meddling Jagex workers have ruined my plans!

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Orally spoken you could make "buy iron longsword" convey a meaning you wish to sell one, but in just a textual format the meaning is that you are buying by all measure of grammatical construct and general rules of English language.

You're just so used to "buying iron longsword" that you automatically think "buy iron longsword" is the same, which ultimately triggers a brainfart - making you sad ;) ;D