Jagex mod got hacked

_YB_

In lieu of recent events, I request a minute to consider the irony of the following posts:

The only concern here is that runeHQ needs some plumming.

No, I don't think RuneHQ needs to find a place to put an air shaft. If it really is the case that RHQ's MD5 password table was compromised/leaked, they could do with a sweep of the server administrators.

Lol, as if tip.it, zybez.net, and a [cabbage]ton of other sites aren't hacked.

That is the past and I think that is not what we are discussing here.

Right now (or yesterday) runehq was hacked and their password got decrypted by hackers, not on tip.it zybez.net or any other site. (according to op)

What is runehq's next move/what did they do to prevent this in the future.

Yeah I was thinking about it too. I wonder how people learn how to hack this well :o

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In lieu of recent events, I request a minute to consider the irony of the following posts:

No, I don't think RuneHQ needs to find a place to put an air shaft. If it really is the case that RHQ's MD5 password table was compromised/leaked, they could do with a sweep of the server administrators.

Right now (or yesterday) runehq was hacked and their password got decrypted by hackers, not on tip.it zybez.net or any other site. (according to op)

Totally.

On topic: Remind me, who here is stupid enough to claim publicly on an open forum that they attempted to access another person's account without their consent? I'm not the most educated of persons, but something tells me that that's probably an illegal act in both the US and Great Britain.

Even if it's an illegal act, I doubt Jagex will act on it seriously, since they knew nothing could be compromised. Of course, that's not the only reason that would stop Jagex from pursuing charges. Jagex already retains a large amount of control of their players without having to resort to legal action, and the cons of pursuing legal action outweigh the pros for such a small act.

How many players' accounts have been accessed without their consent? How many have gotten punished by Jagex? I would say almost none, for the act of accessing an account, by itself, isn't even against their rules, and Jagex has no responsibility to pursue action in that particular vein. Access someone's account and scam another, though, and you might face a short mute.

The best Jagex can do is to tell players to be as secure as possible with their account, and to punish players whom they know accessed a player's password through levying a mute or a ban. Hell, Jagex knows who accessed Chessy018s account, I'm sure a few people do, and no legal action was taken against him, because it's absolutely not worth it. I also don't think the announcement itself is the illegal act (what your quote is implying) but the attempt of access itself. The opportunity to pursue legal action is there, but there are many reasons why Jagex would resort to other methods of action/punishment.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

So which fansite is next? I think that's the real question.

RuneVillage, Sal's, and RSWiki, in no particular order. :P

Basically the only ones that haven't already been attacked. Hopefully after seeing what's happened to almost every other Runescape fansite they'll be prepared and have doubled checked their security.

Basically the only ones that haven't already been attacked. Hopefully after seeing what's happened to almost every other Runescape fansite they'll be prepared and have doubled checked their security.

For sure. I'm particularly worried for RSWiki. I love that site, and I've made a few helpful edits to it <3: RuneVillage also deserves some concern considering the recent events there. I wonder how badly an attack on RV would affect it. D:

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

I doubt they'll be able to fully protect their site. The most they can do is decrypt their passwords via a unique encryption method like how D.I encrypts their passwords. Seperate email and username on different tables/database.

Though if they ever get emails, phishing will happen, I guess.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

For sure. I'm particularly worried for RSWiki. I love that site, and I've made a few helpful edits to it <3: RuneVillage also deserves some concern considering the recent events there. I wonder how badly an attack on RV would affect it. D:

Rsc was hacked also?

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

I doubt they'll be able to fully protect their site. The most they can do is decrypt their passwords via a unique encryption method like how D.I encrypts their passwords. Seperate email and username on different tables/database.

Although a unique encryption method is useless when you store them in plain text too.

Although a unique encryption method is useless when you store them in plain text too.

The passwords in DI's most recent database leak are almost impossible to decrypt. At least, to my knowledge.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

The passwords in DI's most recent database leak are almost impossible to decrypt. At least, to my knowledge.

Maybe so, but they also kept them as plain text which is one of a few reasons why there's been a huge increase in account "hacking" recently.

Yeah, that is pretty ironic. Must...eat...words...

Although I will stand by what I said; something in the name of security needs to change. Not just at RHQ, but here as well. Maybe not something as drastic as a sweep of the server admins...but honestly, something.

Yeah I was thinking about it too. I wonder how people learn how to hack this well

Hacking requires knowledge, which only requires time and willpower. I don't classify this as hacking, but as cracking and/or genuine douchebaggery.

On topic: Remind me, who here is stupid enough to claim publicly on an open forum that they attempted to access another person's account without their consent? I'm not the most educated of persons, but something tells me that that's probably an illegal act in both the US and Great Britain.

Even if it's an illegal act, I doubt Jagex will act on it seriously, since they knew nothing could be compromised. Of course, that's not the only reason that would stop Jagex from pursuing charges. Jagex already retains a large amount of control of their players without having to resort to legal action, and the cons of pursuing legal action outweigh the pros for such a small act.

How many players' accounts have been accessed without their consent? How many have gotten punished by Jagex? I would say almost none, for the act of accessing an account, by itself, isn't even against their rules, and Jagex has no responsibility to pursue action in that particular vein. Access someone's account and scam another, though, and you might face a short mute.

The best Jagex can do is to tell players to be as secure as possible with their account, and to punish players whom they know accessed a player's password through levying a mute or a ban. Hell, Jagex knows who accessed Chessy018s account, I'm sure a few people do, and no legal action was taken against him, because it's absolutely not worth it. I also don't think the announcement itself is the illegal act (what your quote is implying) but the attempt of access itself. The opportunity to pursue legal action is there, but there are many reasons why Jagex would resort to other methods of action/punishment.

I don't know how Jagex would react, although a lawsuit or any sort of legal action is the furthest thing from my mind.

The best thing that could happen from this situation: Jagex deactivates accounts known to be from here and asks them to recover to prevent potential compromised accounts, like they did in the past.

The worst thing that could happen: Jagex decides to kick the community to the curb due to this unfortunate event.

Right...I think I've posted off-topic on this thread enough, haha.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.