Another Desktop Computer Topic - Build Complete! Pics etc, last posts

Blake

I've been wanting a desktop computer for a while now, mainly for gaming and school things. I'm in my first year of a Computer Engineering major, and I thought that building my own computer would be a good experience. Right now, I have a macbook pro from 2 years ago, running Lion and 7 Ultimate through bootcamp, but I only have about 2gb left on my windows partition.

With Christmas coming around, I thought this would be a good time. I'd be looking at around $500 probably. These are a couple DIY combos on newegg I found, and I think this is what I'd be looking for. I'm not nessecarily just deciding between these two, they're just examples. Like I said, I'm mainly going to be using it for gaming, programming, and school stuff. I'd like to be able to run BF3, Skyrim, etc at mid-high settings if possible.

[hide]http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.692922&cm_sp=DIY_PC_Combos-_-692922-_-Combo

B2Xli.png

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.755265&cm_sp=DIY_PC_Combos-_-755265-_-Combo

IlZF4.png

[/hide]

How would those work for what I want? Is there anything I'm missing from that list that I would need to buy extra? I have a windows 7 ultimate OEM disc that I got for my bootcamp partition, would that work to install on a new computer? If not, I can most likely get another one, if the OEM will install and not have to be an upgrade.

I didn't put any list of parts together myself, because I don't really know much about cases, power supplies, cords I would need, and video cards. I wouldn't want to buy anything that wouldn't work together.

So, any advice for my first build?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just watched all three parts of Newegg's how to build a computer videos. I'll watch more later, I'm just a little worn out after 2.5 hours of it :P Other questions that I've thought of since are about hard drives and monitors.

How much better performance does a ssd give? I have a 1TB WD external hard drive. Would it be alright to get a 80GB SSD, and just use my external for data storage? Or, what about a 80GB SSD and like a 500GB internal hard drive? What about the hybrid ones, like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591 where it's 500Gb for $160?

I have a 32" hdtv that I'm currently using for my monitor of my laptop when I'm at my dorm. It only goes up to something like 1360x1000 resolution. I bought it last February. What are my options for monitors? Could I just use the tv, and then I can still play xbox and watch tv on it? Should I sell the tv, and buy a 27-32" monitor? If I did that, could I play xbox on it? Should I keep the tv, and still buy a monitor?

2s0cxth.png

The other build, for 627 is good.

The first build one has a crap psu for starters.

If you think an ssd is a good value, go for it. It's a lot quicker than any mechanical hd (check random review), i'd go for a smaller ssd (say 80gb) and an internal mechanical drive as well. I've no idea about those hybrid ones, sorry.

You'll still need a graphics card for that build tho.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

You'll need a graphics card, something like a GTX 460 to run games on mid-high detail.

For the Windows 7 disc you can only install it on one computer so you'd need another copy. Check to see if your school is part of the MSDNAA, if so you can get a copy of Windows 7 professional for free.

If you're really constrained to a $500 budget then forget the SSD as your money would be better spent on a decent graphics card + CPU. Also just to note flooding in Thailand is causing a hardrive shortage so you're going to be looking at paying more than usual if you buy now. For example I bought this drive a year ago for $88, it's $220 right now. Just keep that it mind.

Gandorf I'd still be looking at sales though, I got an External WD Mybook USB 3.0, 1TB HDD for $80 CAD yesterday. Which from the looks of it (yeah the vents are big enough) is the same size of HDD as a regular one in the desktop (damn can't recall the size like I usually do LOL).

So would any psu with ~650 watts be good then?

When I search for gtx 460 on newegg, there's a bunch of different ones. For example, what's the difference in these two, and the one you posted? One's only $129 after the rebate. Would I need hdmi outs for these? It doesn't look like any of them have one.

2C00t.png

I got the 7 ultimate from my school last year for $7, so they're probably part of that or something else. There's a limit of one per student though. I could probably get one of my friends to get it for me.

I think I'll just get a cheaper hd until the prices drop more, and then I can get a ssd later.

What about this one... 500GB, 7200 rpm, 16mb cache, sata 6gb/s, for $110?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769

What about intel vs amd processors? Most places I've read say that intel are better, but you get more power for price with amd. Is the new sandybridge i5 overkill for me?

Here's another combo I saw on newegg, how's this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.759542

FG81E.png

2s0cxth.png

I need SATA III and 6.0Gb/s no matter what hard drive I get, right?

What about all the other questions?

Mechanical drives can't use the full 6Gb/s so there's no need to specifically buy one, depends on prices. SSDs on the other hand will be limited by SATA II.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

Alright, thanks.

I've gone through and got this... how does it look? I know it's way over what I wanted to spend, but oh well. Is there anything I can downgrade and not take a very big hit in performance? Does the power supply work? Is the Kensington ram a reliable brand?

Another big question I have is about the motherboard, I have no idea about them. I just picked one that worked with the i5 from one of the DIY packages.

ExlEP.png

Just to restate my monitor question...

I have a 32" hdtv that I'm currently using for my monitor of my laptop when I'm at my dorm. It only goes up to something like 1360x1000 resolution. I bought it last February. What are my options for monitors? Could I just use the tv, and then I can still play xbox and watch tv on it? Should I sell the tv, and buy a 27-32" monitor? If I did that, could I play xbox on it? Should I keep the tv, and still buy a monitor?

2s0cxth.png

The motherboard's decent enough, Xfire/SLI support, a couple of 6Gb/s & USB 3.0 ports, smart response and lucid virtu from the z68 chipset.

Spend the extra 5$ and get the 2500k, even if you don't overclock it now in the future a 30$ aftermarket heatsink will give you a nice boost in performance.

On the HDD front, look at local stores that may not have updated stock prices yet as HDD are crazy expensive now. If you feel up to it you can buy an external HDD and rip off the encasing, just make sure to do your research on which you buy to know what drive is inside.

700W PSU is overkill, get something along the lines of these:

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500

OCZ ZS Series 550W

Or a 650 if you plan to SLI the 460's in the future.

For the monitor I'd recomend selling the TV and buying a decent 1920 x 1080 resolution monitor, connect the PC through a DisplayPort and the Xbox through HDMI.

2d26mw.gif

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

You'd also probably want a DVD/CD Drive like this one and you'll need a computer case as well. (You could probably go with a cheaper case if you want to stick closer to your budget)

I'll look into downgrading the power supply then; I just didn't want to under estimate and have it not work.

I just didn't but the dvd burner and the case in that list, just thought I'd figure that out after everything else. As far as dvd burners go, would just anything work? That case actually looks very nice, I might buy it if I decide to build this.

2s0cxth.png

Yeah dvd burners can be of any brand and price. Sure there will be a quality difference but it didn't bother me when I just picked the cheapest I could find.

If I buy anything OEM, are there any extra cords I will need to pick up? Also, is my i5 2500k and GTX 460 overkill, or will I really have to spend this much? Although, I do want this to last a couple years

Also looking at the PSU's, the 700W one I have is $69, same price as the 550/650 ones, so I'll probably just keep that

2s0cxth.png

If I buy anything OEM, are there any extra cords I will need to pick up? Also, is my i5 2500k and GTX 460 overkill, or will I really have to spend this much? Although, I do want this to last a couple years

Also looking at the PSU's, the 700W one I have is $69, same price as the 550/650 ones, so I'll probably just keep that

OEM CPU will come with no heatsink and less waranty.

OEM Blueray burners are a big no as there is no legally free Blueray software to use with it.

No need to buy extra cords unless you want cable ties to tidy up and improve airflow, extenders if you buy a huge case, splitters if you add more GPUs, etc...

The i5 2500k is great at stock, and in a years time if you feels its sluggish you can OC it easily for an extra boost.

The 460 will see you through basicly everything a decent settings and FPS and you can SLI it cheaply enough if you feel its lagging.

2d26mw.gif

Should I sell the tv, and buy a 27-32" monitor? If I did that, could I play xbox on it? Should I keep the tv, and still buy a monitor?

You'll get nowhere near the money needed for a 27-32" monitor by selling that TV. Monitors cost 2-4x the price of the same size TV usually (at least on the larger end).

Should I sell the tv, and buy a 27-32" monitor? If I did that, could I play xbox on it? Should I keep the tv, and still buy a monitor?

You'll get nowhere near the money needed for a 27-32" monitor by selling that TV. Monitors cost 2-4x the price of the same size TV usually (at least on the larger end).

I know that, I'm planning on either a 25" or a 27" monitor, and I'll just add the extra money. Can I get a nice one for ~$300? Just to make sure one more time, I'll get the same HD quality on my xbox games and movies on a lcd monitor?

2s0cxth.png

A nice 25-27" monitor for $300? Don't think so, perhaps if you're lucky. You can get a nice 24" monitor for that. The prices jump up quite a lot once you hit 24" or above, for example a 30" monitor will set you back $1500 or so. It also depends on your definition of "nice". I consider a "nice" monitor to be an IPS panel, but most people use TN panels. TN is considerably cheaper.

Also, there's no reason why you wouldn't get HD quality on your Xbox games on a monitor when compared with a TV.

I've personally played Xbox on my computer monitor before I had my HDTV, and I'd have to say, it looked slightly better on my 22" monitor than it does on my HDTV.

• 1 month later...

Alright, now that Christmas is over, I have $700 more. I'll probably spend about $300 more of my money to total around $1k on this computer. This is my build so far, there's not a DVD drive in there but I'll buy one. That look alright? I'll most likely not buy it from Newegg, but a local computer store that's cheaper. My question now is still about the monitors - someone else previously said you can't get a 25"-27" monitor for around $300, but I found these... are these bad deals or very low quality? Just a reminder - I'll use it for Xbox too, and TV if I can. Speakers also don't matter - I have some Klipsch Promedia 2.1s.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-P2770HD-27-Inch-1920x1080-Monitor/dp/B0032ANC00/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1324875546&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VE278Q-27-Inch-LED-Monitor/dp/B0043T34RK/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1324875546&sr=1-6

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009250

Here's the Newegg link for a lot of other similar ones - they're all about the same price, is the quality good for a 27" for ~$300?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007617%20600030620&IsNodeId=1&name=27%22

2s0cxth.png

Those are good brands for Monitors. I prefer ASUS.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

I also prefer Asus.

Although I don't have Asus monitors (except for my Asus laptops) these monitors seem quite expensive for the size. They are good brands and I'd still suggest them. The only thing is that Samsung seems to lack quality lately, from experience and some reviews I've seen on some of their TVs.

So that is to say that the second link, the Asus 27" for $320, is a good buy? I was just a little worried because a previous poster said you can't get a 27" for that cheap. That's good to know though, I'll most likely go for that one or a similar one then. Thanks again for the help, I'll post more if I have more questions but anyone can say anything about anything else if they want to.

EDIT: How can I compare differences in monitors and quality, such as these two...

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VE276Q-27-Inch-Wide-16/dp/tech-data/B003UT2C4U/ref=de_a_smtd

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VE278Q-27-Inch-LED-Monitor/dp/B0043T34RK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324968859&sr=1-1

The first is $45 cheaper, the model numbers are very similar, and yet I can't find any differences? I'm not just asking for these two specific monitors, just any in general. I can see that one is LED and one is LCD, which would be better?

Also, will 1920x1080 look good on a 27" monitor? My current 13" laptop is 1200x800, and when I use my 32" tv it's some weird number like 1360x1020 or something.

2s0cxth.png