February 19th, 2012

Ren

Jagex shouldn't be blamed for "poor customer service" or "screwing up their game" etc. Sometimes things just go wrong and the only thing we can do is fix it, and that's what Jagex is currently working hard to do.

While I agree that shit happen happens and servers crash, I feel that Jagex doesn't handle them very well. Last crash, only weeks ago, people lost millions or everything if they were anywhere slightly dangerous. IIRC, it was fixed quickly and people were able to get back in-game in under 10 minutes but all graves were lost due to the necessary server reset. They could have rollbacked players those few minutes and but from the amount of forum posts, this was not a large scale crash and not many people were kicked off (compared to this one). So while rollback might be not a good solution...

I feel they should have a different solution by now. It's been 10 years or however many. Instead, it's the typical "tough luck, enjoy your stuff" Jagex response.

It's hard to find a solution that pleases everybody. I mean right now the RSOF is riddled with people screaming "omg don't do a rollback." If they rollback to please the people who died, the people who lost xp as a result will rage. If they don't do a rollback, the people who did die will rage. Those are really their only options. It's just impossible to find a solution that will make everyone happy.

How much exp can you gain in "a few minutes" minuscule amounts imo...

orlyn.png

youry.png

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jagex shouldn't be blamed for "poor customer service" or "screwing up their game" etc. Sometimes things just go wrong and the only thing we can do is fix it, and that's what Jagex is currently working hard to do.

While I agree that shit happen happens and servers crash, I feel that Jagex doesn't handle them very well. Last crash, only weeks ago, people lost millions or everything if they were anywhere slightly dangerous. IIRC, it was fixed quickly and people were able to get back in-game in under 10 minutes but all graves were lost due to the necessary server reset. They could have rollbacked players those few minutes and but from the amount of forum posts, this was not a large scale crash and not many people were kicked off (compared to this one). So while rollback might be not a good solution...

I feel they should have a different solution by now. It's been 10 years now or however many years RS has been running. Instead, it's we get the typical "tough luck, enjoy losing your stuff" Jagex response.

That is definitely something harsh to hear. The last crash I was involved in was the "April 11th, 2011 - The day RuneScape died" one. I was in a dungeon and lost my binds, posted on the forums and whatever else they told me to do to get my binds back. They never gave them back, and I don't know why they have to do this "tough luck, we [bleep]ed up" thing. I feel like it could be due to the massive threatening and whatnot players do/have done with membership when it comes to people taking stuff away, now they just won't give it? Which really doesn't make sense to me. Again, they killed off about 150k+ players when they took FT/Wild. For a necessary reason, I know...

553VriC.png?1

I hope they are refund us with membership days for the inconvenience.

We've done our job - paid to be member.

Now they should do their job. And if they have trouble with it - refund people with the days the game is out.

Fair don't you think?

I feel they should have a different solution by now. It's been 10 years or however many. Instead, it's the typical "tough luck, enjoy your stuff" Jagex response.

It's hard to find a solution that pleases everybody. I mean right now the RSOF is riddled with people screaming "omg don't do a rollback." If they rollback to please the people who died, the people who lost xp as a result will rage. If they don't do a rollback, the people who did die will rage. Those are really their only options. It's just impossible to find a solution that will make everyone happy.

I feel in this case, since it looks like everyone is getting kicked off slowly anyway, they should have just shut down the servers and not allow anyone to play during this time. Then rollback to before the login server crash, although I don't know how often they save our data and whatnot so some exp/loot may still be lost.

icecube7.jpeg

In order for that to be possible, Jagex would have to have a "save" of 5 minutes before the game went down. In order for that to be likely, they'd have to be recording saves every 5 minutes. It takes a lot of resources to do that, which is why Jagex seems to limit it to once every 6 hours or so (based on how long roll backs have been in the past).

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

See rollbacks wouldn't be such a huge issue if they could just do it the same way they do exp resets... Why can't they do that? They should have some connectivity database or whatever, something to record whether or not a player's account truly was involved with the bug.. Like something to record actions (which is already done I believe), and then login details. Full IP, internet, times attempted, times successful, etc... That would make a lot more players pleased. I'm just glad that when I died for the first time on RuneScape it was with a new character. When I got lured later on for Santa, I quit for a long time aside from random visits to troll people who still played the game that I got screwed over in.

553VriC.png?1

[hide]

In order for that to be possible, Jagex would have to have a "save" of 5 minutes before the game went down. In order for that to be likely, they'd have to be recording saves every 5 minutes. It takes a lot of resources to do that, which is why Jagex seems to limit it to once every 6 hours or so (based on how long roll backs have been in the past).

[/hide]

Oh this I did not know... makes sense

orlyn.png

youry.png

Ah. Wasn't really sure how often 'saves' occurred but I guess every 5-10 minutes was wishful thinking.

icecube7.jpeg

[hide]

When I got lured later on for Santa, I quit for a long time aside from random visits to troll people who still played the game that I got screwed over in.

Implying this was just in the past?

Have you noticed that you're in EoE, and EoE is always trolling me?

Back off the thread plz.

[/hide]

You started it....*points finger*

orlyn.png

youry.png

When I got lured later on for Santa, I quit for a long time aside from random visits to troll people who still played the game that I got screwed over in.

gflulz.png

This seriously made this whole crash worth it.

553VriC.png?1

[hide]

Implying this was just in the past?

Have you noticed that you're in EoE, and EoE is always trolling me?

Back off the thread plz.

[/hide]

You started it....*points finger*

I never started anything w/EoE except apparently compliment Kandy/Deo on speed in the past and got banned from your clan for it :thumbup: .

I'm still having no luck with joining servers, is anyone else in the game ATM? Any tips..?

553VriC.png?1

Jagex has confirmed that they are still working on the issue. You won't be able to get in until they fix it. "Tips" won't help you.

And once again, please drop the trolling conversation.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

In all seriousness Rend why not go do some housework or something constructive why you wait ? :P

Or if being practical isn't your thing, go outside, read a book, catch up on TV shows, play a different game, etc. :razz:

Nah, it's much more fun to rant!!! :razz:

220px-TurtleOmaha.jpg