February 19th, 2012

Ren

Today, we sit back and watch as RuneScape crumbles around us. The markets going insane, everyone possibly losing everything. You cannot move, you cannot breathe, you cannot even log in. Today is the beginning of the end of RuneScape.

As I woke up from a slumber, I steadily walk out into the kitchen and begin my normal routine. Turn on the computer, get a drink, use the bathroom, sit down and set up my browser. I sit in my chair for nearly an hour, clicking and clicking on "Login". No response, feeling it's just my internet bugging out. I scan my computer twice, change a lot of internet settings that I probably shouldn't. Nothing.. As I go onto the internet, assuming my 40:1 Recieved/Sent packets is a DDoS/Trojan/Keylogger, or something worse, I search high and low for a solution, praying that there is one. After 45 minutes, I give up, I assume it's Jagex's fault just like everything else. So I decide to check their Tech Support pages, and then I went to go e-mail them, but decided to post on the forums for a quicker answer. In the top 5 topics, I saw "Login Server Offline" as a sticky. After 1 hour and 10 minutes of troubleshooting, all I had to do was just assume the obvious: Jagex did it.

This irritates me, Jagex in general irritates me, because they seem to [bleep] up a lot when it comes to their game. In the Q&A session, they would rather answer questions about pizza and tea, or what the square root of pi is, than actually answer players' questions about the game they play on usually a daily basis. They said that the direction of their updates, and their vision for the future of RuneScape, is entirely based on what Jagex/the developers want. So you aim to please yourself, than please the people who keep you in business currently? I do not get their logic. They seem very stupid when it comes to specific areas. They even removed their "Java Gaming Experts" thing from their website. I tried looking for 20 minutes and could not find it.

They are losing respect quickly, they kill off player base on a massive scale at times. They may look like they're improving as of recently, but to me, this is the beginning of the end of RuneScape.

553VriC.png?1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quit crying over the tiny amount of downtime, this happens like less than every month for 2-3 hours. (at most), can barely remember the last time servers where down.

it took me 5 mins to read servers down, then look on rsof to find solution

writing a long post doesn't make this any less spam than the "omg rs down halp" topic.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

I say you are over reacting a bit much. No system is perfect, which means something is going to fail at one point or another. Yes Jagex seems to have a lot of issues/missteps, but if you can not stand the issues/missteps then stop supporting Jagex by playing their game.

orlyn.png

youry.png

I say you are over reacting a bit much. No system is perfect, which means something is going to fail at one point or another. Yes Jagex seems to have a lot of issues/missteps, but if you can not stand the issues/missteps then stop supporting Jagex by playing their game.

Tbh I used to always pay for membership, but once all this started happening, I cut back by over 70%. As in every year, since about '07.

553VriC.png?1

This is definitely a heavy exaggeration. Just looking at the "login server offline issue:"

• Shit happens. No piece of technology is perfect. Sometimes Tip.It goes offline, sometimes RuneScape has server problems.. it just happens. Jagex shouldn't be blamed for "poor customer service" or "screwing up their game" etc. Sometimes things just go wrong and the only thing we can do is fix it, and that's what Jagex is currently working hard to do.

• People rage when RuneScape goes offline for an hour or two. I honestly find that so silly. RuneScape is fantastic when it comes to the servers being online and accessible. Let's look at other games.. games like WoW, Rift, LOTRO, SW:TOR all go offline regularly for hours of scheduled maintenance (usually once a week). We are so lucky that RuneScape doesn't have that. We get kicked offline for a few minutes when updates get applied and then once in a blue moon something fails and the servers go offline for an hour or two until Jagex can sort it out. We have very little to complain about.

They even removed their "Java Gaming Experts" thing from their website. I tried looking for 20 minutes and could not find it.

I have no idea what this has to do with the rest of your post.. but I will answer it for you. Jagex used to stand for "Java Gaming Experts" but prior to the release of War of Legends this was changed to "Just About the Game Experience."

Your other points about the developers and updates have some validity, but I don't see what they have to do with "the end of RuneScape."

On another note, I'm moving this to the Rants forum since that seems to be more appropriate.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

This is definitely a heavy exaggeration. Just looking at the "login server offline issue:"

• Shit happens. No piece of technology is perfect. Sometimes Tip.It goes offline, sometimes RuneScape has server problems.. it just happens. Jagex shouldn't be blamed for "poor customer service" or "screwing up their game" etc. Sometimes things just go wrong and the only thing we can do is fix it, and that's what Jagex is currently working hard to do.

• People rage when RuneScape goes offline for an hour or two. I honestly find that so silly. RuneScape is fantastic when it comes to the servers being online and accessible. Let's look at other games.. games like WoW, Rift, LOTRO, SW:TOR all go offline regularly for hours of scheduled maintenance (usually once a week). We are so lucky that RuneScape doesn't have that. We get kicked offline for a few minutes when updates get applied and then once in a blue moon something fails and the servers go offline for an hour or two until Jagex can sort it out. We have very little to complain about.

They even removed their "Java Gaming Experts" thing from their website. I tried looking for 20 minutes and could not find it.

I have no idea what this has to do with the rest of your post.. but I will answer it for you. Jagex used to stand for "Java Gaming Experts" but prior to the release of War of Legends this was changed to "Just About the Game Experience."

Your other points about the developers and updates have some validity, but I don't see what they have to do with "the end of RuneScape."

On another note, I'm moving this to the Rants forum since that seems to be more appropriate.

mfw i said that already

orlyn.png

youry.png

Damn it. Really. Just delete the post then. I didn't mean for it to come out as ranty but I guess it is. Rage.

EDIT: No, forget that, I'm pissed. Leave it.

553VriC.png?1

My sympathies if you are upset that Runescape is down for a few hours. However, perhaps this will remind people about taking things for granted...

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

My sympathies if you are upset that Runescape is down for a few hours. However, perhaps this will remind people about taking things for granted...

Yeh, I put in some items last night assuming they would sell even though they seemed to be crashing..Now I'm not quite sure. I take instasells for granted.. :(

What do you take for granted in RuneScape?

553VriC.png?1

Yeh, I put in some items last night assuming they would sell even though they seemed to be crashing..Now I'm not quite sure. I take instasells for granted.. :(

What do you take for granted in RuneScape?

Hijacking your own topic good job bro.

orlyn.png

youry.png

Damn it. Really. Just delete the post then. I didn't mean for it to come out as ranty but I guess it is. Rage.

*looks at your siggie* Does that apply to this situation?

I began to wonder about Jagex, but then I saw potential in my signature, and realised it was relevant almost every day I play RuneScape..

On a side note..

2012end.png

I knew I wasn't alone!

553VriC.png?1

Jagex shouldn't be blamed for "poor customer service" or "screwing up their game" etc. Sometimes things just go wrong and the only thing we can do is fix it, and that's what Jagex is currently working hard to do.

While I agree that shit happen happens and servers crash, I feel that Jagex doesn't handle them very well. Last crash, only weeks ago, people lost millions or everything if they were anywhere slightly dangerous. IIRC, it was fixed quickly and people were able to get back in-game in under 10 minutes but all graves were lost due to the necessary server reset. They could have rollbacked players those few minutes and but from the amount of forum posts, this was not a large scale crash and not many people were kicked off (compared to this one). So while rollback might be not a good solution...

I feel they should have a different solution by now. It's been 10 years now or however many years RS has been running. Instead, it's we get the typical "tough luck, enjoy losing your stuff" Jagex response.

icecube7.jpeg

Jagex shouldn't be blamed for "poor customer service" or "screwing up their game" etc. Sometimes things just go wrong and the only thing we can do is fix it, and that's what Jagex is currently working hard to do.

While I agree that shit happen happens and servers crash, I feel that Jagex doesn't handle them very well. Last crash, only weeks ago, people lost millions or everything if they were anywhere slightly dangerous. IIRC, it was fixed quickly and people were able to get back in-game in under 10 minutes but all graves were lost due to the necessary server reset. They could have rollbacked players those few minutes and but from the amount of forum posts, this was not a large scale crash and not many people were kicked off (compared to this one). So while rollback might be not a good solution...

I feel they should have a different solution by now. It's been 10 years or however many. Instead, it's the typical "tough luck, enjoy your stuff" Jagex response.

It's hard to find a solution that pleases everybody. I mean right now the RSOF is riddled with people screaming "omg don't do a rollback." If they rollback to please the people who died, the people who lost xp as a result will rage. If they don't do a rollback, the people who did die will rage. Those are really their only options. It's just impossible to find a solution that will make everyone happy.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog