Should I get Running Shoes?

Bonez899

As said above, should I get running shoes if I plan on running? Also, what kind should I go for? Are the $50 generic runner style at the department store good enough or should I go to a sporting goods, or running store and buy the fancy specialized ones?

Also when telling advice keep on lit bit of information in mind, I'm a young teenager I have a bit of money because I know how to save, so I have around a hundred dollars at the moment, but I don't get any major money until starting around May or whenever the grass turns green and starts to grow.

If you invest a bit more in a decent pair they will last much longer and maintain comfort levels better over time, assuming your feet aren't growing. I have a pair of good quality Asics running shoes that I paid $200 for over 4 years ago that still do they job nicely, despite being a bit worn down. Like Steve said, depends how serious you are, if you really want to get into running then you should be willing to spend a bit extra.

rosssigfinal.jpg

Minimalistic aka 'barefoot' shoes > all

Normal shoes have an unnatural heel to toe ratio that harm your knees, feet and posture. Minimalistic shoes follow the natural curve of your foot.

They need getting used to as the soles are very thin with no cushioning like the shoes you are used to. But once you've broken them in, they're great, you never look back.

There are lots of companies making them. I have some feelmax and vibram five fingers. The feelmax are very comfortable and look like normal shoes. The vibram five fingers are not as comfortable, but they are great for running outdoors in mud/water/hills/forest/etc. The vibrams look extremely goofy though, as each toe has a pocket, making you look like a monkey, they attract looots of attention (this can be good or bad depending on you). If you're looking for something cheap, sockwa makes some basic shoes with great reviews, these will prob be my next buy.

2480+ total

Well this thread is kinda done... I went out today to a shoe store looking for regular running shoes and ended up buying a pair of decent Sacouny's that felt right, even better was the fact that they were on sale for half-off, are minimalistic shoes cheaper compared to other types, I want to try them sometime but I'm just wary at them.

Also, Couch to 5k plan is the one I am planning to start follow, any thing that I should be aware of before hand, or should watch out for?

The only advice I can give you is not over work yourself, that only causes injuries. As far as running a 5k, sign up for a 5k ASAP, which will give you an end-time by which you should be able to run a complete a 5k. Then set what you want your desired time per mile should be so you have a secondary goal to keep you motivated to keep pushing yourself. For example you sign up for a 5k 3 months from now (gives you a comfortable amount of time to work up to running a 5k) and being able to complete it in around 30 mins which averages to just about 10 mins per mile.

tFtfA.jpg

You can work yourself up to run 5k in 2 weeks, easy.

From no running for distances/periods of great endurance?

As long as you aren't overweight or have any medical issues besides being out of shape, I think this is quite reasonable.

It took me a month from struggling to jog 800 metres to easily jogging 5k, I was also eating better/doing gym at the time which might've helped

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

It is possible, I sometimes go months without running and can easily pick it back up in a matter of a week or two, but I visit the gym and cycle regularly. I still stand by the 3 month plan I wrote out for someone that is basically starting off from nothing. The worst thing to do when getting into running is pushing yourself to hard that you end up injuring yourself and are forced to stop.

tFtfA.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

What the heck do you mean by 5k? Is that your American way of saying for 5 kilometres?

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc