Why PC Gaming Sucks

Faux

• 3 weeks later...

Most people will still have to shell out $100 for Windows keys. And with Microsoft throwing a new version out every 4 years (gap between 7 and 8 is only 3 years btw), that's another constant cost that PC gamers have to pay for.

If you're going to use discount as an argument let's throw in how consoles go on sale for $150-$200 (at least 360 did) during big sales events (e.g. Black Friday).

Most people will still have to shell out $100 for Windows keys. And with Microsoft throwing a new version out every 4 years (gap between 7 and 8 is only 3 years btw), that's another constant cost that PC gamers have to pay for.

If you're going to use discount as an argument let's throw in how consoles go on sale for $150-$200 (at least 360 did) during big sales events (e.g. Black Friday).

You're assuming that people HAVE to upgrade with every version. This is not true. And upgrading when you also have a current windows key is often far less. For example, if you have Win7 (legit), upgrading to win8 will only be 40$.

Also, most people own more than one console or handheld (Source: gamefaqs daily polls x, most even have every iteration of consoles from the same publishers x, x, x, etc etc etc) Not to mention that with add-ons in the form of DLC, accessories, repairs out of warranty (happens to everyone, PC or Console), etc your costs become less skewed than you can imagine.

If anything, I'd propose that only an idiot would say they're any different in cost in the long run. When you're not comparing identical traits, it's apples and oranges. When you are, it pretty much all comes out in the wash. It's downright laughable to do otherwise and assert that one side is better than the other (be it in quality, cost, whatever) as if it were an absolute truth and not a matter of preference.

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

Also, most people own more than one console or handheld

Most people also own multiple PCs. What's your point?

Once we go into multiple things then yeah, obviously. But in terms of a 1 PC vs 1 console, you honestly cannot say with a straight face the console will cost more. So ridiculous.

A decent pair of "gaming" KB+M alone easily costs more than $100 also. Luxury items are expensive ;)

Also, most people own more than one console or handheld

Most people also own multiple PCs. What's your point?

Once we go into multiple things then yeah, obviously. But in terms of a 1 PC vs 1 console, you honestly cannot say with a straight face the console will cost more. So ridiculous.

A decent pair of "gaming" KB+M alone easily costs more than $100 also. Luxury items are expensive ;)

Show me a man who has built a PC - a GAMING RIG - and goes, "well I want multiple of these so lets go!".

Show me a man who has both a PS3 and an XBOX360 to take advantage of exclusives.

Which is more likely? Please use common sense here. Your biased opinions are clouding your judgement. At least try to approach this with an open mind.

hzvjpwS.gif

Show me a man who has both a PS3 and an XBOX360 to take advantage of exclusives.

Hell, there are also the gamers who will have a console and a gaming PC for a similar/the same reason. It's not as black and white as everyone likes to think.

Gaming as a whole is an expensive hobby.

Gaming rig + gaming laptop. You really don't know anyone who rocks that setup? Lol please don't let your ignorance cloud your judgment.

I'm far from ignorant on the situation. You, however, seem to need a little schooling. Allow me:

No, because gaming laptops don't cool properly and cause more problems in the long run. Furthermore, laptop PC gaming is far more expensive than desktop PC gaming. Most people refrain from doing that for those two key reasons. So no, while your example can happen, it's a far far far cry from common, whereas people owning two or more consoles to suit their needs is far more common.

Numbers back me up. You're welcome to show contradicting evidence. Until then, you're grasping at straws with nothing to back up your biased opinions.

And as a side note: you're implying I prefer PC better simply because I disagree with you - that's also false. For example, I have a mid-line PC and three consoles, and I spent just about the same so far on all of them. I use them all more or less equally, as well. Your position is not the only answer. Sorry to break that to you.

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

Can you explain to me what is my position? I think you're the one confused. Alg there knows I'm not saying one is better than the other. I've reiterated this point over and over but some of you are so upset you just gloss over it. In fact, the only reason why I'm making this argument is because PC gamers here were so insecure about their hobby they felt the need to intrude in a console thread.

Can you explain to me what is my position? I think you're the one confused. Alg there knows I'm not saying one is better than the other. I've reiterated this point over and over but some of you are so upset you just gloss over it. In fact, the only reason why I'm making this argument is because PC gamers here were so insecure about their hobby they felt the need to intrude in a console thread.

Now you're backing out of the points you previously asserted as fact because you have nothing to counter them with. If you're making a claim that PC gaming is inferior in quality, cost, and product control, you should have expected resistance and prepared. Whatever crusade you thought you were trying to accomplish was muddied by your lack of proof for your outrageous claims.

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

Two lines on one post does not remove the position you've been arguing for an entire thread. I feel very sorry for you that your attempt to discredit an aspect of something you didn't fully understand crashed and burned like the Hindenburg. Sorry Faux. :/

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

http://forum.tip.it/topic/312305-360-vs-ps3/page__st__80#entry5274876

So far in this thread all PC gamers use for their argument is "PC gaming is superior" and repeating it over and over.

The fact is it's not. It's a different experience altogether.

Comprehension is hard. I never said PC gaming was inferior. Just that it's not superior. Logic 101.

Repeating what you said in the last post does not make it any better the second time around, again, when you've been maintaining that position (whether you realize it or not) throughout the course of discussion. Repeating this also doesn't account for the fact that your information was incorrect. You don't get full credit on the math problem by reaching the right conclusion in the wrong way. This is the nature of discussion.

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

See now you're the one backtracking and saying things I didn't say.

Count up to 10. Once you've calmed down maybe you'll realize my point all the way through. Gonna take another break from this thread. I can only handle so much insults and false statements in one day.

"gaming laptops"

10/10 would laugh again

http://www.alienware...gs/laptops.aspx

Laugh all you want, but there's a reason why Alienware is still around. And it's not because no one buys it. :?

I would like to see what I said was false. You should try participating more in discussion. I can't very well read your mind, now can I?

Or you can just stop making assumptions. You're obviously not very good at it.

I still can't get over how you think console gaming on average costs more than PC gaming. If you're comparing a person with multiple consoles, then I guess I can bring up real gaming enthusiasts. In this case, I'm not talking about casuals like you who think they're PC gamers when you haven't even heard of SLI/Crossfire setups, multiple monitors, RAID, etc. which you most likely don't have on your "gaming PC".

If you can't admit PC gaming costs more, this argument with you is futile. Even I never denied PCs have technical superiority.

In this case, I'm not talking about casuals like you who think they're PC gamers when you haven't even heard of SLI/Crossfire setups, multiple monitors, RAID, etc. which you most likely don't have on your "gaming PC".

If you can't admit PC gaming costs more, this argument with you is futile. Even I never denied PCs have technical superiority.

I said I had a midline gaming laptop and several consoles. I never said I had a top tier desktop PC. I don't have the funds to build a top of the line machine yet. If lacking the funds to build one defines you as a "casual" - which is a laughable term, especially when used as you have - then I have to wonder where you fall in this ambiguous "casual" and "pro" labels you chuck around.

I am well aware of the advanced features that you claim I don't know about. Long gone are the days where you had to be an "advanced user" in order to have a top-of-the line, home built PC, though. RAID, btw, isn't necessary for a top tier gaming rig. They're for advanced users who want redundancy and insurance against hdd failure. To mention it as being one of the "defining" traits that separate "casuals" from "pros" in gaming is confusing, to say the least.

You imply that having multiple gaming consoles devalues them as a gaming enthusiast. Please explain what you mean here, because that seems like quite the assumption. And an incorrect one at that. They are not a mutually exclusive thing by any stretch of the imagination, and to imply otherwise only lessens your credibility and weakens your argument.

As for what you claim are my own assumptions...if they were false, you would have an answer for my questions. You show your ignorance about what you're debating against when you bandy about terms you don't even understand and fail to listen to the people you're actually talking with by citing things they never even said.

To put it bluntly, you're talking out of your ass. You don't understand what is essential and what isn't when building a desktop (let alone purchasing premade!) and how it affects the bottom line price of what you're paying. You quote RAID, xfire, and dualmonitors as if they're essential to your build. You can't conclude that anything is more expensive than the other when you don't even understand what the costs are associated with it.

That's why it's pointless to compare costs though. You're paying to make the most of that technical superiority.

Pah, that's not even the worst of that point - the worst is that yet again people are comparing apples and oranges.

hzvjpwS.gif

A couple things popped into my head while skimming the last couple pages.

First, I would like to address gaming laptops and alienware, because oddly enough they both fall into the same category, that category being lighting large piles of money on fire then launching the ashes out of a cannon. Alienware is ludicrously expensive for what you get, and make their money off of people who want a computer that can play games, but think you need mystical voodoo powers to build your own (or pay your local computer shop to put it together for you). My point being, if hypothetical person owns either, then money probably wasn't an obstacle to begin with, because people on a budget would do research to ensure they get the most bang for their buck (well, actually a startling number of people don't, but still...).

Second, the title of this thread is, and I quote: Why PC Gaming Sucks

Since you (Faux) have not yet argued this same point for consoles, it is more than fair to say that yes, your argument is in fact that console gaming is superior to pc gaming, and you probably shouldn't be trying to deny that when your title and opening post say otherwise. Also, props for quoting a post that was arguing against you (against both of the other sides, and the side that I think Kim is on) to support yourself in an argument, by pretending to be on that side as well. Again, your title disqualifies you from the "there is no point comparing them because they offer totally different experiences" camp.

My next thought, going back to cost because for some reason this is the big issue (and I would like to point out that under our economic model, logic would dictate that the experience considered to be most desirable would cost the most), is again, someone who owns both a console and pc probably doesn't fall into the category of 'price is a big issue'.

In fact, price is the most pointless issue to consider, because for people who make their choice based on price, they are making their choice based on price, not based on what they believe will give them the most enjoyment.

So pperhaps the people with a side can get back to arguing the merits of pc's vs consoles to entertain those of use who consider it apples and oranges.

If you like consoles and PC's equally, then you like them equally, and they are the same quality of experience for you. You established that in your premise, end of story. And maybe I am in a different argument than everyone else. I prefer the argument not complicated by an additional issue, and rather just the experience vs other experiences. In other words, which one you want instead of which one you will get. What you get is just economics, and is a pretty simple comparison of how you want a and b, and how much you can afford to spend.

My theory is that price is the major point of contention because it's the only factor anyone can back up, rather than just beating each other over the head with opinions.

If you like consoles and PC's equally, then you like them equally, and they are the same quality of experience for you. You established that in your premise, end of story.

That isn't what I asked you. Yes it obviously comes down to a matter of opinion, but we're talking about quantifiable traits, not opinions. Price isn't the only factor like that. Enjoyment is the odd-one-out and always dependent on the person, but we're not talking about whether Johnny likes something more than Sally. You're trying to cut to the heart of the discussion because you're tired of the back and forth, but cutting to that also kills the discussion because if we distill that down so far, there's nothing to talk about.

hzvjpwS.gif